• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I crazy, or do the Xbox One S controllers not auto connect to PC over bluetooth?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I bought a One S controller over black friday.

I have it connected and paired to my PC through bluetooth.

Everytime I want to connect it after having turned it off, I need to unpair, and repair the controller. Just turning it on it doesn't automatically connect.

Is there some absurdly simple thing I'm overlooking, or does Microsoft just really want you to buy another wireless dongle?

saelz8

It's not exactly user friendly on PC. I relegated myself to the dongle, which I had already owned. It wasn't worth the hassle.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Damn so that really is the case.

Microsoft can be so ass backwards sometimes. This is absurd.

Edit: I've updated the controller firmware and this may have fixed the problem?

Seeing as I just got the controller I didn't imagine there'd be an update but here it is~

I'll keep you all updated.

Rellik

It's not exactly user friendly on PC. I relegated myself to the dongle, which I had already owned. It wasn't worth the hassle.

I bought the wireless adapter today because of this issue. Also, the range seemed extremely short on Bluetooth.

Lol this is classic MS. All your problems are solved if you buy an adapter from them.

I already own the adapter for my Elite anyway so I should be good in future. Pretty shitty for those who don't have one.

QMontague

I believe the windows 10 anniversary update fix that for some people, but the fast ring creators update broke it for others.
Sorry to hear it's being a pain.

Yep, mine either takes forever to pair with my laptop or just fails and I have to do what you do, OP, and basically unpair and pair again in order to make it work.

I own the dongle but I actually lack the USB ports when I play at home (I use an external keyboard and mouse that use my laptop's USB ports up). Kind of a bummer.

Madness

Damn so that really is the case.

Microsoft can be so ass backwards sometimes. This is absurd.

Edit: I've updated the controller firmware and this may have fixed the problem?

Seeing as I just got the controller I didn't imagine there'd be an update but here it is~

I'll keep you all updated.

One would think you would at least update the controller and troubleshoot all issues before creating the thread as you've already got people saying "ass backwards MS" etc.

Edit: Also, you should always update electronic things day one. Modern manufacturing and inventory means months of products being created and stored or shelved before purchase. Look at televisions and computers etc.

Mine won't reconnect after I plug it in to charge for some reason. It connects and reconnects fine otherwise. I updated the firmware too.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I know Windows 10 had Bluetooth issues early on.

But I've used both the standard white and Gears BT controller and they connect each time.

Azax

My wireless adapter for Xbox one controller works 50%
First it wont even connect so the light bar wont start.
So I have to uninstall and then restart the computer for it to work...

Steam's dongle works like charm and its so much smaller...

Wtf Microsoft....

Bsigg12

My Xbox One S controller works fine over Bluetooth and auto connects to my PC. It is updated to the most current firmware.

Modern manufacturing and inventory means months of products being created and stored or shelved before purchase. Look at televisions and computers etc.
This is exactly backward. For the last decade the trend in global supply logistics has been toward JIT ("just in time") scheduling. Some market segments lag, but the average shelf time is lower now than it's ever been. Even for products shipped from China to highest distance, certain stores may have as little as 21 days of lead time (that's the floor, given current supercargo speeds).

You're right that day one updates are more prevalent than ever, but that's because firmware improvements have become more nimble as well.

Darknight

Does the control have some lag if you connect via USB dongle? I think I read that you need to connect direct via USB cable to get 100% connection.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
This is exactly backward. For the last decade the trend in global supply logistics has been toward JIT ("just in time") scheduling. Some market segments lag, but the average shelf time is lower now than it's ever been. Even for products shipped from China to highest distance, certain stores may have as little as 21 days of lead time (that's the floor, given current supercargo speeds).

You're right that day one updates are more prevalent than ever, but that's because firmware improvements have become more nimble as well.

This. I bought a Samsung 850 EVO SSD at Amazon on Nov. 23 and it arrived at my house Nov. 27. Date of Manufacture in China: Oct 19. Just a little over a month to be manufactured in China, shipped from the factory to one of Amazon's warehouse (assuming there was no other middleman in between), and then shipped to my house in Virginia. That is insanely fast. The drive probably spent only a day or two in Amazon's warehouse, if not less.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
[/b]

One would think you would at least update the controller and troubleshoot all issues before creating the thread as you've already got people saying "ass backwards MS" etc.

Edit: Also, you should always update electronic things day one. Modern manufacturing and inventory means months of products being created and stored or shelved before purchase. Look at televisions and computers etc.

If it makes you feel any better, I just tried playing Dark Souls III with it and the latency was terribly worse on the Xbox One controller through bluetooth than with my 360 pad through the wireless 360 receiver so there's still trash to complain about!

Does the control have some lag if you connect via USB dongle? I think I read that you need to connect direct via USB cable to get 100% connection.

I'm connecting through bluetooth and the latency in Dark Souls III is very noticeable.

netBuff

I had this problem: Updating the Xbox controller firmware using the "Xbox Accessories" app from the Windows Store alleviated it.

The firmware that comes with the device doesn't auto-connect, apparently.

TimExecutor

Neo Member
This is an old thread, but I'm replying since this is a persistent issue.

I recently purchased the Xbox One Bluetooth Controller. Like several have already said, it does not auto-connect when I turn it on, even though I've previously connected via Bluetooth. The "X" on the controller simply flashes on and off continuously. My only solution is the manually unpair the controller, and then repair it again. I have to do this every time.

In regards to any firmware updates for the controller, I'm unable to get the Xbox Accessories App on Windows 10 to detect my controller via USB cable. Based on the current user ratings in the Microsoft Store, it appears that many people are having this issue and are review bombing the app right now.

What a disaster.

I hope this is not some secret ploy to get people to buy the $25 Xbox Wireless Adapter.

Shifty

Mine's updated to the latest firmware and seems to forget its bluetooth pairing every time I plug it in to charge via USB.

MS neglecting open standards in favour of their own proprietary solution, shocker.

shpankey

not an idiot
I'm on the fast ring, so not sure that makes any difference, but it's finally working really well for me, despite some early issues on previous Win 10 builds.

HAdoubleRY

Neo Member
Does anyone else have this problem with like every single bluetooth device they own? I always thought bluetooth was a crap technology that never worked well but maybe it's just me.

Not having problems at all using mobo Bluetooth, and I've got a white XB1S controller. It also works with my Scorpio Edition XBO:X controller too...though not both at the same time (unless I get out the USB dongle).

Leonidas

I've had no issues with pairing. Then again, my Xbox controller is a dedicated controller for PC. You have to resync the controller when going from PC to Xbox One; it's the same way with PS4 controllers in that regard.

A.Romero

Bluetooth is a pain in general. I tried using my DS4 controllers before as I liked how they feel better but lag, short range and syncing issues were prevalent.

I went ahead and got a 360 controller with the dongle and it worked great.

A few years later I got the Xbox One and the proper dongle and it worked great again.

Now I've got:

- 360 controller with the dongle
- OG Xbox One controller with the dongle
- Xbox one S controller (same dongle)
- Xbox One Elite controller (same dongle)

With any of them I have no problems with range (My PC is in another room), lag or connectivity. They all work as expected.

Well worth the expense, I believe. Bluetooth is ok for stuff like car audio only or very short distances. At least in my experience (as a gamer and as an IT professional)

TimExecutor

Neo Member
I wanted to give another update.

I finally was able to update the firmware on my Xbox One Controller. It improved on the issue, but did not completely solve it.

After some fiddling, I discovered that the quickest way to pair my controller every time I turn it on was to do the following:

1) turn on controller ("X" will start blinking)
2) turn off bluetooth on your computer, and then turn it back on
3) "X" turns solid

If not, repeat step #2 above.

I found this to be quicker than any other method I've tried.

Top Bottom