• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two console generations from now, will current AAA games seem technically antiquated?

mango drank

In other words, circa 2030, will AAA games from the middle of this gen (2017-2018) seem badly-aged, quaint, outdated, etc, when compared to circa-2030 PS6/XB5 AAA games?

I ask, because I dug out my PS2 today and poked around some of the AAA games from 2003-2004. And, well, damn. From a technical perspective, these games haven't aged well at all. I'd gotten so spoiled by the steady incremental advancements over the two console generations succeeding the PS2/XBOX era, that seeing and playing these old games came as a shock: primitive low-res graphics, low-res textures, primitive gameplay mechanics, primitive animations, primitive game and menu UIs, etc.

At the dawn of the PS3/X360 era, people were already trotting out the "diminishing returns" line--that they couldn't see a huge difference between the games for the then-newly-available PS3 and X360, vs. the games for the previous gen. The same thing happened when the PS4 and XBONE were introduced. Of course, with the benefit of hindsight, when comparing the AAA state-of-the-art here in 2017 vs. AAA state-of-the-art in the middle of the PS2/XBOX era, the "diminishing returns" line is preposterous. Over the course of two console generations, we've seen absolutely enormous gains:

Graphics:
  • HD / 4K
  • PBR (physically-based rendering + materials)
  • Normal maps
  • Anti-aliasing
  • Massively increased texture and poly budgets
  • Much better and more fine-grained animation / mocap
  • Larger, more elaborate, and more populated worlds
  • Artists / tools: vastly better artistic ability, and vastly better art tools

Everything else:
  • Evolved and refined gameplay mechanics
  • Better NPC AI
  • Better writing
  • Better voice acting
  • The proliferation of online console gaming

All these things taken together, and exemplified by today's AAA games, make AAA games from the PS2/XBOX era look and feel very outdated. The jump from Metal Gear Solid 3 to MGSV is ridiculous (don't believe me? Go play MGS3 on a PS2 and come back. I guarantee your rose-tinted glasses won't hold up. I remembered it looking and playing so much better, in my mind's eye.). The jump from a PS2 Tomb Raider to a current-gen Tomb Raider, ditto. Gran Turismo 4 to Gran Turismo Sport. Deus Ex: Invisible War to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. FFX to FFXV. Sure, many games from the early-mid-2000s still hold up well and are beloved despite their technical shortcomings, but that's not my point, and it's why I'm focusing on AAA in particular: from a technical perspective, AAA games tend to represent the state of the art at the time of their release, and are good yardsticks for measuring technical progress. I'm not saying AAA games from the PS2/XBOX era are bad; I'm saying that, in general, they tend to look and feel very old.

With that backwards two-gen leap in mind, think ahead two gens: do you think today's AAA console games will seem just as antiquated in ~2030, as PS2/XBOX AAA games seem today? Why or why not? In other words, if you and your spouse give birth to a kid today, and on their 13th birthday you dust off your PS4 Pro or Xbox One X and fire up some of the classics, will your kid be amazed at how much progress has been made since he was born, or will he not see much of a difference?

Personally, I'm not sure what graphical technical advancements are coming in the next decade to rival the impact that things like normal maps and PBR have had. (Anyone know of any?) In terms of screen resolution, for many people, HD at a distance already approaches the resolution limit of the human eye, and 4K clinches it for the vast majority of the population at average TV viewing distances. This will eventually put a cap on texture resolution and poly count, which in today's games are both already pretty high.

On the other hand, I see lots of room for improvement in animation and game mechanics--the sky's the limit. But from a purely visual standpoint, I think I'm starting to agree w/ the "diminishing returns" chorus, which leads me to predict that today's cutting-edge games will still seem pretty damn good in 2030.

(Side note: VR/AR will go through its own interesting evolution, and there are lots of advancements particular to VR/AR on the horizon, but they won't apply to gaming on a 2D screen, which is what I want to focus on for this topic. Flat-screen gaming will still very much be a thing in 2030.)

Heath V

Great question and great thread, this is what we need more of right here! To answer your question I don't think current gen games will look all that antiquated, I think we are at a point now where games are looking pretty darn good. It's certainly only going to get better from here on out, there are some seriously exciting times ahead!

abracadaver

Textures are already so sharp and characters so detailed that I don't think there will be much of an upgrade

Lighting, animation, physics, AI and details like particles will be way better though (I hope)

Great thread OP!

I don’t have enough technical expertise to answer.

I’ll just say that considering things like Horizon in 4K blow my mind and i don’t even have an X yet, I can’t even try to imagine how good 8K res games and up will look, kid to mention the seemingly more important improvements to lighting, AA, et al.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I dont think games now, running on the mid gen refreshes will not seem dated like PS2 and to a lesser extent xbox games(however I can play ninja gaiden black on the 1X and the graphics dont bother me).

I think what will matter more is how the gameplay and game design changes take GTA for example I would rather GTA6 had the same visuals as GTA5 but had far more buildings you could enter and more freedom for the gameplay eg.being able to do real life jobs, cut the lawns,dig,use the car trunk,being able to pick up and manipulate world objects etc.

In 2030 I'm guessing visuals will be close to James Camerons Avatar, Now that would be amazing to see but would Horizon zero dawn be a better game because of it?, dont get me wrong I would love avatar graphics but I would not think games like horizon are ugly now we have avatar graphics.

Its a difficult question, writing this post got me thinking what playing a game with avatar visuals would be like.
It certainly would be an amazing thing, but an equal leap in game design and gameplay would need to accompany it to make todays games seem antiquated.

SALVATION_NL

Neo Member
I guarantee your rose-tinted glasses won't hold up.

This summarises this discussion. It is why I sell my current gen console and all of it's games the minute a new gen console launch will be in reach within 2 weeks for me . Your imagination is a powerful tool. I have played some great games and returned to some to recreate the experience but it always turns out dissapointing. It always looks worse then you thought.

The greatest gaming experiences are in your mind.

So yeah. I think in the 2030's your gonna be amazed at how games evolved and how they looked on a ps4/xbox one. You can even see the leaps in current gen console 1st year releases and releases now.

baphomet

Yes, they will always look antiquated when compared with the current generation. Even games AAA games from the previous generation look antiquated. There will always be exceptions, but for the most part it's always going to be true.

This applies even moreso to games going for realistic graphics. They're always going to show their age worse than stylized games. Games with unique, or highly stylized graphics always age better.

llien

TIL Physically based rendering

Let me start with cheap shot: 2D staff will still hold well, despite poorer resolution, drawn graphics in Monkey Island 3 is still quite enjoyable:

QofoCtG.jpg

And a question: did people really talk about diminishing return in PS2 => PS3 transition times?

TikeMyson

Textures are already so sharp and characters so detailed that I don't think there will be much of an upgrade

Lighting, animation, physics, AI and details like particles will be way better though (I hope)

When I first played Gran Turismo in 1997 I thought "Ok, this looks like real-life. Racing games can't look any better than this".
And when Resident Evil 2 was released I thought "Someday when games look like this cutscenes we have reached the peak of gaming"

Inuteu

I expect games to be totally photorealistic two generations from now

and a lot of improvement in phisics too

Two things that never were done right in video games:

1- hair

2- swords that actually cut

hope to see that happening

I find games that weren't created to convey 'realism', say something like Windwaker gamecube, ages much better. It's why many Nintendo games typically age better in general, compared to the 'hyper realism' brown/gray real -world games, due to the art-style employed in many of their games.

Klart

Games will look a lot better in 2030 (well games that go for realism). Games from now will not hold up great. Maybe the difference between PS1 & PS3 wil be greater than the difference between PS4 & PS6, but still.

When I saw Soul Calibur on Dreamcast for the first time, I was blown away (it did look amazing back then). I thought games couldn't look much better than this in the future.

Boy, was I wrong.

thecrunked

They already feel and look antiquated IMO. Most AAA console games run at 30fps and feel like your running thru mud. Spinning your view from left to right in uncharted lost legacy for example feels and looks horribly janky and slow. 60fps would help games play more smoothly and thus making them more approachable years from now.

danmaku

And a question: did people really talk about diminishing return in PS2 => PS3 transition times?

No, because the jump from low res TVs to "more or less HD" was huge.

As for today's games: no they won't. Even last gen games still look OK, especially if you run them at higher res with more AA. This gen's game will hold even better.

Sapiens

Yes, most will look noticeably ancient, like ps2/dc/Xbox stuff does now, but the cream of the crop will be acceptable and playable running with emulation and bc upgrades and such.

Just like ps2 Gen stuff looks fine under the right conditions, but it still looks noticeably crusty.

Really, the only generation of 3D that is aging in an unplayable way is ps1/Saturn.

There is really no way to predict exactly how they will look, but things will be significantly enhanced.

SaberEdge

We have a long way to go. Game graphics and overall presentation can still improve in significant ways. Current AAA games when played two generations from now WILL seem old and antiquated.

I'm sure there will be less perceptive people who claim the difference isn't that big, but most people with normal or above average perceptive capabilities will think the difference is huge. There's a massive difference already between something like Horizon Zero Dawn, The Witcher 3 or Assassin's Creed Origins and ANY PS3 or 360 game. Likewise, games such as Uncharted 2 or God of War 3 were a huge leap over any PS2 or Xbox game.

This idea that we are reaching a point of diminishing returns is nonsense. Just because we are approaching that point in terms of pixel resolution doesn't mean we are anywhere close to that point in other areas. Water and hair still look like crap. Lighting is usually baked and causes issues with time of day changes and unnatural looking lighting in general. We still get pop-in of geometry, textures and shadows/lighting. Texture detail can still improve dramatically since memory constraints continue to limit quality there. Shadow resolution and filtering, even in some of the best looking games, leave A LOT to be desired. I can't stand how flickering and low res the shadows are in Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy, for example.

I could go on and on, really, in terms of things that should be improved. But we will get there. And in a generation or two we'll look back and see the shortcomings of today's AAA games just as easily as we do today when playing AAA games from previous generations.

autoduelist

Yes. Just look at movies that are 10 years old... everything about them looks 'antiquated', even little things, like the cover art of the Bluray. [this was very evident during the age of Blockbuster].

It's the overall -ness of the thing - from basic control scheme changes, to better tech, to language used, hairstyles... anything that can contribute to aging, will.

Yes. They will be old games. Old games rarely fool people into they're they're brand new, bleeding edge games, with cutting edge game design.

Rather that's unplayable or not worth playing/checking out is up to the person. Some people can not play an old game if there is any moment in the game that makes them aware that the game is old. Those people probably won't be able to but I think folk who aren't turned off by a game being old will be fine like always.

JordanN

Banned
Yes. Just look at movies that are 10 years old... everything about them looks 'antiquated', even little things, like the cover art of the Bluray. [this was very evident during the age of Blockbuster].

It's the overall -ness of the thing - from basic control scheme changes, to better tech, to language used, hairstyles... anything that can contribute to aging, will.

Eh, have you seen movies from 10 years ago? That's 2007 and I wouldn't say they're 'antiquated'.

y4B08Bd.jpg

ntbx3Rv.jpg

Hell, when I looked at the new Incredibles coming next year, I actually thought it was a screenshot from the first movie. And Pixar had 14 years to brainstorm new tech,but it doesn't feel that different from the original.

HykfxIo.jpg

Tech has gotten better but as long as art direction is strong, it doesn't matter.

EdgeXL

For the most part, yes. That is why I maintain that pursuing "realistic" graphics is futile because they will become outdated very quickly. Try watching CGI-heavy movies and TV shows from the late 90s and early 00s. They are almost painful to see now.

Games that do not rely on "realistic" visuals tend to hold up years or even decades after they release. Look at Yoshi's Island on the SNES - that game's visuals hold up much better than a lot of other games that released in the mid-90s.

JordanN

Banned
For the most part, yes. That is why I maintain that pursuing "realistic" graphics is futile because they will become outdated very quickly. Try watching CGI-heavy movies and TV shows from the late 90s and early 00s. They are almost painful to see now.

Games that do not rely on "realistic" visuals tend to hold up years or even decades after they release. Look at Yoshi's Island on the SNES - that game's visuals hold up much better than a lot of other games that released in the mid-90s.
Realistic games doesn't mean they have no style at all or complete photorealism.

How many games have you die once and the game is completely over? Or how about characters that that can take multiple bullets but heal in seconds?

It's not futile when graphics is just one part of the package.

I think for myself being a gamer of close to 30 years now, starting gaming on the Atari 2600 days and going strong in the current gen with a multi-passport so to speak of all the consoles. Every generation we think as gamers, this can't possibly look any better and then the next gen hits.

Going from side scrolling games like Mario Bros 3 to 3D platformers like Mario 64 was a jump. Going from Grand Theft Auto San Andreas to Grand Theft Auto V on last gens consoles were a jump. Going from Uncharted 2 to Uncharted 4 was a jump as well. The point is every generation we as gamers tell ourselves it can't look much better than this next gen but then it does.

I think as VR progresses and that starts to catch up visually and control wise, that could be the next big leap to actually submerge yourself completely within the game world.

MetalRain

Yes, in 2030 we'll have 8K resolutions and GPUs with over 100GB of memory so sub FullHD resolutions are really stretched. It's like watching SD tv broadcast on HD display.

Current VR games will feel so blurry and clumsy after two hardware revisions, but they are that already so that isn't big surprise.

What I hope is that games can still widen the gaming medium itself, it's more experiences that you remember in years to come instead of AAA blockbusters and same same, but future looks bright.

Wulfram

They'll seem old fashioned, I don't think they'll generally seem all that bad. Particularly if they're PC games that aren't tied to current resolutions.

Except for the hair, anyway.

LordOfChaos

I think they definitely will. 8th gen games can look good but you can see seams in the technology all over the place, in pop-in, anisotropic filtering, aliasing and shimmering, MoCap resolving detail, etc.

The next generation may address most of these. I'm more curious what the 10th can do over the 9th, where we go from the 8th seems clear enough.

Elfstar

I think at this point 3d graphics have finally reached "2d 16 bit games" territory. They will look dated but still good enough.

PtM

Banned
This is an eternal question for every generation. People will shit on graphics, "this looks like PS4".

TaurezAG

Personally, I'm not sure what graphical technical advancements are coming in the next decade to rival the impact that things like normal maps and PBR have had. (Anyone know of any?)
Global Illumination can radically affect how realistic a render looks. IMO it's the next advancement in graphics along with HDR. In two generations we'll have unified real time GI and it will be amazing.

Sanctuary

Technically maybe, but gameplay wise, even the current fall-asleep-while-holding-forward-and-hitting-X drivel will most likely seem compelling compared to the AAA "games" of the future. Everything will be open world, cinematic and have an optional difficulty mode (for the hardcore only) called "interact" where you occasionally have to press a button and make maybe a single choice throughout.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Not sure, I think lots of PS2 games still seem fine. They will be a bit for sure but nothing too bad I'm sure. That is unless be really catches on then everything else will seem antiquated

Espada

Current AAA games will definitely look incredibly dated in 2030, one of the biggest advances in rendering will be realtime, high quality dynamic raytraced lighting with true GI. Right now it's far too performance heavy to replace our current lighting in games, but seeing demonstrations of it make what we have now look primitive.

There will be other, more subtle things that will steadily be added to games much like you noted all the little things added from the PS2 era until now. I can imagine entire games why proper physics interactions between objects and other elements, which would make our current games seem like static, lifeless dioramas.

I can't wait to see what games of the future look like.

cormack12

Gold Member
Great OP. Art style can definitely maintain its pleasing aesthetic more than the titles that aim for realism I feel. It's only with the passage of the time that all the incremental leaps come together and really elevate the product as a whole though.

There are certainly areas that need work. Elemental effects often look a bit strange. For me it's all about density now. Not in terms of population but having a small region/district that's actually fully immersive. Take AC: Syndicate. Huge open world, really well done. How much better would the Ripper story have been if it was condensed to only the district of Whitechapel but everything was interactable and you could go into all buildings etc.

MP!

of course they will... some have already started to look bad. The ones that strived for realism will continue to look worse and worse... while those that had strong art stules will stay relatively nice looking

Blam

of course they will... some have already started to look bad. The ones that strived for realism will continue to look worse and worse... while those that had strong art stules will stay relatively nice looking

Like Cuphead. That'll never go out of style.

Games like that that focus on the art style, and less on the fidelity of the art will last much longer.

fordian

Neo Member
Current AAA games will definitely look incredibly dated in 2030, one of the biggest advances in rendering will be realtime, high quality dynamic raytraced lighting with true GI. Right now it's far too performance heavy to replace our current lighting in games, but seeing demonstrations of it make what we have now look primitive.

There will be other, more subtle things that will steadily be added to games much like you noted all the little things added from the PS2 era until now. I can imagine entire games why proper physics interactions between objects and other elements, which would make our current games seem like static, lifeless dioramas.

I can't wait to see what games of the future look like.

Ray tracing is not happening in games by 2030. Especially not 8K ray tracing.

mango drank

Some interesting responses so far, thanks peeps.

Incremental improvements to existing things (higher-res textures, higher poly-count, more density in enviros in general), and fixes to random things pointed out (shadow quality, object intersections, hair, pop-in) will continue to roll out as they always have, but I'm still not sure I see any major obvious punch-to-the-face leaps in quality gen-over-gen from now on. So yeah, games in 2030 will look better than games today, but I think most people would be hard-pressed to explain why: they'll be seeing dozens of tiny improvements, instead of two or three really big obvious improvements (w/ dozens of tiny improvements taking a back seat). In other words, lots of the obvious low-hanging fruit has been picked already. Gen-to-gen, it'll be harder for console manufacturers to point to updated features or to new game footage and be like, "Look! Look how much better!"

You guys really think GI will have a huge effect? I feel like even without legit ray-tracing, game engines could start to mimic and approximate bounced light and reflections, and most people will only kinda-sorta notice the difference anyway. (Actually, don't some games already do this?)

PBR took care of a lot of light and color problems already. I'm not super knowledgeable about lightmaps and baked-in lighting, but I gotta imagine the move towards 100% dynamic lighting will be less noticeable than the jump from old-school materials and lights to PBR materials and lights was. Maybe I'm wrong.

Re: 8K, I think 8K will be a major benefit for VR, because your eyes are right up against those screens, but it won't do much for normal 2D TV gaming. Again, 4K already approaches and surpasses the resolution limits of the human eye at the distances most people sit from their TVs. 8K TVs might very well end up being a marketing / sales win (remember the megapixel marketing race for digital cameras 10 years ago? You didn't need 20 megapixels, seriously), but in terms of actual image quality gains, 8K won't do squat for 99% of people--unless everyone starts buying wall-sized TVs or switches to projectors, which I don't see happening by 2030, for both price and practicality reasons.

I have a theory about these mid-gen console upgrades, and maybe it's already been brought up before. Console manufacturers are band-wagoning on the TV industry's 4K hype in order make more money, sure, but behind the scenes, they know it's going to be harder and harder to market new consoles from now on, because based purely on graphics alone, the leaps gen-to-gen won't seem as big as they used to. So they're using this opportunity to test the waters for a new standard: incremental (not revolutionary) console upgrades from now on, forever. They knew PS5 and Xbox 4 would've been harder sells than usual on their own, even without mid-gen upgrades. But now, they've set a precedent: you're used to buying an incremental upgrade, which means you'll be more likely to accept an incremental upgrade in the PS5, and then the PS6, and so on.

Shifty

Yes.

I asked myself this question during the 360 era, concluded "no, we've peaked" and have already been proven super wrong.
Granted that was when HD content creation was still in its infancy, but I don't see the tech cycle plateauing in the near future.

Shifty

Eh, have you seen movies from 10 years ago? That's 2007 and I wouldn't say they're 'antiquated'.

Film CGI isn't exactly a great comparison anyway since it's rendered offline instead of realtime. Game graphics age considerably worse due to being bound by technical constraints that movie makers can sidestep with lots of money and render hardware.

Top Bottom