• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Orth no longer with Microsoft

Mononoke

Banned
He would have got fired eventually though

Those tweets were such bad press that even major media outlets not related to gaming picked it up, it was nuts

Quite honestly, I want to see a study on how many jobs are/were lost to social media sites , it's getting crazy.

I honestly wouldn't have said anything and just repeated "you'll find out soon" for any xbox next tweets.

This.

Seriously, let's put aside gamers getting angry over online always. And look at what he actually said:

A customer raises the concern of the internet not being as good in rural areas as it is in the city area. His response? "Why would I live there".

When this customer also brings up how past online-always failed, he eventually says "deal with it".

What kind of company would allow an employee to insult a customer publicly because of where they live, or tell them to "deal with it" over their criticisms of a company decision. If this was any other company, this guy would have been dealt with in a similar fashion. Why people are suddenly acting like the internet is "scary" and "took things too far", give me a break.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If his job was something like PR, or customer relations - then this would be a big sacking offense. However if twitter communications are not in any way part of his job description, then this mistake would not impact on how well he performs his job, and so should not be a sacking offence.
I believe "avoid tarnishing your company's name, image and reputation" is an implicit part of any job description.

No tears lost here. If you can't respect a very probable NDA and very publicly alienate the user base of your company on a potentially dividing subject it hasn't communicated about yet, you know what's coming to you.

MS have been going to lengths to control the timetable on their next gen reveals and the guy blew the lid and put it in the worst possible light.

(To be clear, I'm not even inferring he was let go, this works with quitting)

Into

If his job was something like PR, or customer relations - then this would be a big sacking offense. However if twitter communications are not in any way part of his job description, then this mistake would not impact on how well he performs his job, and so should not be a sacking offence.

That is probably how it should be

But it is not how it is IRL, before getting hired you are told explicitly that you are representing the company, not just during your working hours but 24/7 and to be a good ambassador.

My experience comes from far smaller companies than Microsoft, so i imagine there they are even more stringent especially during this hush hush time of a console that does-but-does-not-exist-yet.

Big-E

If this guy wasn't very important then whoever gave him the title of Creative Director of Microsoft Studios should be fired for making this dude sound super important. His title made it seem like he was involved in some of the grand Xbox grand strategy which added further weight to his words.

If this guy wasn't very important then whoever gave him the title of Creative Director of Microsoft Studios should be fired for making this dude sound super important. His title made it seem like he was involved in some of the grand Xbox grand strategy which added further weight to his words.
Yeah let's get that guy fired too!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
XBRXzQJ.jpg

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Remind me never to buy anything from Kevin Dent. His whole conversation makes him look like a tool bag.
Wow. WOW.

And to think that many people complain about Phil Fish, when he does nothing but speak his opinions (however controversial they may be). This guy beats him any day, so much bullshit being said.

I agree with the "games industry shitting on their customers day" guy. What are they even trying to achieve with this?

I'm sorry for forcing Orth to write such stupid tweets.

You know the way to discuss in a civil and rational capacity the potential of Xbox going always online?

Whatever is the exact opposite of what actually happened.

Flippant. Callous. Not public traits you push for in a very message-controlling environment like Microsoft. He was a loose cannon.

USC-fan

Banned
That damn internet! Someone should really do something about it. Someone start an online petition ......oh wait. damnit the internet wins again!

It's almost like "the internet" consisted of potential customers of a product produced by the company the guy was affiliated with when he went on a ridiculous Twitter tear concerning a rumored feature of said product, ultimately telling all those potential customers to "#dealwithit."

Do they not teach proper usage of social media to people who take jobs in the gaming industry? I mean, I know they don't at Polygon, but does anyone?

Eusis

Except this isn't just some "fuck up", Adam Orth could have very well killed the 720 before it's even officially announced.
If the next Xbox doesn't require always online I think people will very, very quickly forget it, much like how people forgot all about Sony's anti-used patents that were showing up pre-PS3. If it DOES have it though then I think he's poisoned the well as it were and Microsoft will have a hard time trying to sell people on it.

AkuMifune

Banned
I work for a major company. do you know who i am? no.

because i'm smart enough to say my stupid shit on a private account with a dumb handle.

hey cliffy, some people can get away with being a jackass and still be successful. the rest of us can not.

MrHicks

Banned
Sure sounds like I'm saying that doesn't it?

then hes bullshitting you
NOBODY just resigns/loses a job voluntary is this shitty economy

MS just gave him the mercy route in letting him resign "voluntarily"
mostly so his resume doesn't say "FIRED" on it which scares away future employers

JABEE

I feel bad for him getting fired, but those were some stupid comments to make. I don't know if you can blame it on the internet taking him down as much as his irresponsible use of the internet leading to his resignation.

Shining the light on his comments is what caused the situation to blow up, but those statements would have still been wrong and insulting to consumers had the "internet" not jumped on the comments.

I don't understand the feelings around the industry that he was some kind of martyr. He made some comments about an unreleased system in the context of responding to criticisms being made by potential customers, and people picked up on them and disagreed.

There may be some idiots who threatened him or went over the line, but other than that I believe Orth brought this on himself.

There is no consternation among the industry about using the media and message boards to hype up their games and create positive word-of-mouth, but the second there is negativity to the social media, constantly connected marketing blitz, there are cries of cruelty and martyrdom.

Gestahl

then hes bullshitting you
NOBODY just resigns/loses a job voluntary is this shitty economy

MS just gave him the mercy route in letting him resign "voluntarily"
mostly so his resume doesn't say "FIRED" on it which scares away future employers

It's not like shitting on the company porch before bailing is somehow more acceptable behaviour either

How is humility such a hated trait in today's world?

With how far science has gone to show how little people know about well, anything, and how an open mind is really important, it's incredible that guys like Kevin Dent and Arthur Gies can refuse to admit to be wrong about anything. People are wrong about most things, smart people learn from it, what the hell is wrong with guys like Gies and Dent and all the guys like them.

Winning an argument isn't really that important...

Cliffy B and whoever the fuck that other guy is assume it's "Internet mob justice" that got this guy fired, not exercising the possibility he hinted at information about something that's not even confirmed or revealed on an official level, and acted inappropriately in a way that puts their employer far from the best light, if temporarily.

What the fuck bubble do these people live in? And they tell "the Internet" to get perspective? Okay.

I have very little sympathy for the guy.

I don't like that people can be fired for expressing opinions which, by association, make their employer look bad. I don't like any sort of restraint on expression.

But this is the real world. If that had been my job and my priority were to keep it, I never would have considered making tweets like that. Especially when my connection to the company was so obvious.

He screwed himself. Anyone blaming the internet for what happened is delusional.

Top Bottom