• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

Does Thurrott end up liking the Nokia Lumia 900?
It's the best phone ever. Eeeh...

I like this idea though:

It’s a big device, not as humongous as the Titan II, but only a hair smaller than the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, the current Android flagship. That may be an issue for some people, and I’d like to see Nokia introduce a modified Lumia 800—with the 900’s cameras and a few other features—for those with smaller handset aspirations.

strata8

Lumia 800 + centred screen + no PenTile + fixed camera + 32GB storage.

Would be perfect, but I've got a feeling it's not going to happen.

Troll

Banned
Lumia 800 + centred screen + no PenTile + fixed camera + 32GB storage.

Would be perfect, but I've got a feeling it's not going to happen.

It needs a FFC too.

If they shoehorn Windows phone 8 into the Lumia 800 with better specs (LTE Dual core all that) and updated optics (including FFC) I'd buy one

Fjolle

I like this idea though:

Something like that will come.
I don't think that it will look exactly like the Lumia 800, but with WP.next they will need a new phone with a ~3.7 inch screen. As it will be developed from scratch for the system, and the system hopefully will allow more freedom, I hope they don't have to cut any corners like they did with the 800.

NeOak

Nokia didn't "design" the Lumia 800. It was designed by Compal. Copy&Paste N9 exterior with Compal engineering.

Something like that will come.
I don't think that it will look exactly like the Lumia 800, but with WP.next they will need a new phone with a ~3.7 inch screen. As it will be developed from scratch for the system, and the system hopefully will allow more freedom, I hope they don't have to cut any corners like they did with the 800.
I just hope their next 3.7" phone will be smaller. The Lumia 800 is still surprisingly big for that screen size, IMO.
I really hope the capitalised titles from Windows 8 don't make it into Windows Phone 8.
I hope nothing from that Metro abomination in Windows 8 makes it to the next Windows Phone version.

giga

Guys, I've seen the future and it's called BlackBerry 10.

Screw Microsoft and this OS!
RIM sure knows how to deliver. Announce a major upgrade, only show off a few features and claim the rest are still secret! Just what developers need to hear.

strata8

I hope nothing from that Metro abomination in Windows 8 makes it to the next Windows Phone version.
Nothing?

WinRT, gestures, improved multitasking/app switching/background processes, multi-coloured/gradient tiles (you'll disagree with that one) and Start backgrounds are a few things that come to mind.

But I agree for the most part. The People hub in Windows 8 is just a complete butchering of Metro:
peopleme.jpg

The (relative) consistency of the applications is what makes Windows Phone so great and I'll be extremely annoyed if Microsoft ruins that for Win 8/WP8.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Guys, I've seen the future and it's called BlackBerry 10.

Screw Microsoft and this OS!

Laugh away, but Blackberry people are a special breed. My sister has one and basically goes lalalalalalala whenever you mention that you too, can check your work email on your phone.

Fjolle

RIM sure knows how to deliver. Announce a major upgrade, only show off a few features and claim the rest are still secret! Just what developers need to hear.

Isn't that standard mobile OS announcement procedure?

"There will be 500 new features in iOS/WP/Android/BB v.next; here's 5".

Nothing?

WinRT, gestures, improved multitasking/app switching/background processes, multi-coloured/gradient tiles (you'll disagree with that one) and Start backgrounds are a few things that come to mind.

But I agree for the most part. The People hub in Windows 8 is just a complete butchering of Metro:
peopleme.jpg

The (relative) consistency of the applications is what makes Windows Phone so great and I'll be extremely annoyed if Microsoft ruins that for Win 8/WP8.

I was strictly talking about the thing that really matters to me, the UI. Using a Windows 8 tablet felt so weird and not really familiar, coming from Windows Phone. The gestures are okay, but I don't really see them as an improvement, just a different way of doing things.

Can you link me the BB10 announcement thread, I can't seem to find it.

giga

Isn't that standard mobile OS announcement procedure?

"There will be 500 new features in iOS/WP/Android/BB v.next; here's 5".
In the keynote and PR they may showcase a subset, but the other features are at least disclosed to developers. RIM isn't even putting out the real BB10 OS for developers to test drive. The alpha device and simulator are running a modified playbook OS.

RIM needs to convince people to get a BB10 device over the other new platforms in the Fall. Widgets, a keyboard, and a new camera interface isn't going to do it.

Can you link me the BB10 announcement thread, I can't seem to find it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471629

strata8

I was strictly talking about the thing that really matters to me, the UI. Using a Windows 8 tablet felt so weird and not really familiar, coming from Windows Phone. The gestures are okay, but I don't really see them as an improvement, just a different way of doing things.
Due to the increased real estate and different orientation many of the basic Windows Phone concepts wouldn't work on a tablet anyway, so I think this is unavoidable.
Metro in Windows Phone is defined by the limited screen size, so it doesn't tend to work out when you alter that.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Laugh away, but Blackberry people are a special breed. My sister has one and basically goes lalalalalalala whenever you mention that you too, can check your work email on your phone.

I saw a BB ad with a girl who says she gets a 1000 emails a day. "Try writing a 1000 emails a day" she says. She would literally be writing a reading emails all day, lol.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Call me picky but the 800 is too small and the 900 too large. LoL.

My personal sweet spot is in between. If I had to choose right now I'd rather lean towards being slightly larger than I'd like rather than smaller. I use two hands with my phone most of the time anyways so I'll take the increased screen real estate.

ChanHuk

Banned
Why are you getting rid of it?

I have a 64GB 4S sitting around collecting dust. I got the Lumia 900 through the Windows Challenge exchange of a Blackberry 8820.

I will say this though, while WP7 is a great experience, it doesn't have the polish of iOS. I will take a WP7 device over an Android device any day of the week. I've also had an iPhone since the 3G -> 4 -> 4S and a Macbook so I'm pretty deep in the Apple ecosystem.

My gripe with the Lumia 900, while its a beautiful phone, its just fucking huge. Suffers the same problem as the iPhone, a lot of unused real estate. I may be in the minority, but I don't feel like the size of the iPhone was ever an issue. The resolution of the 4/S made it a joy to read on and I have horrible vision.

frontieruk

I wasn't aware of it, but looks like RunKeeper discontinued support for their Windows Phone and Symbian apps because there wasn't enough use to devote time to keeping them up to par. It still works, but is no longer available in Marketplace.

I'm going to migrate over to Endomondo I guess, or does someone know a better running app?

you tried Sports Tracker? I'd suggest it'll be maintained due to their links to Nokia, Runtastic seemed decent too, unfortunately I can't comment on use.

Commodore

So the rumors of Samsung using a Galaxy SIII shell\specs for an upcoming Windows Phone 8 in Oct seem to be gaining stream. Personally, I don't care for Samsung designs, but what I am interested in is how Android and Windows Phone compete in benchmarks with the same specs...

Looks like sales must have been decent in March for some reason. Microsoft US market share was flat from Feb-Mar and it had been dropping every month. It includes WinMo and WP so that would make one assume that WP market share is increasing. I would hope that overall market share increases in April because of the 900 launching, seems like it would be a bad, bad sign if it doesn't.

RIM market share keeps tumbling, WP is looking to over take it by the end of the year if the 900 does end up giving a boost.

Cipherr

So the rumors of Samsung using a Galaxy SIII shell\specs for an upcoming Windows Phone 8 in Oct seem to be gaining stream. Personally, I don't care for Samsung designs, but what I am interested in is how Android and Windows Phone compete in benchmarks with the same specs...

To hell with benchmarks, I cant stop thinking about how great this will be for the OS after all. I really think this could be massive once day 1 flagships are both WP8 and Android. Thats going to be fucking glorious. I can understand it being months late after the S3 because W8 isnt out yet,

But what about the S4? I think its safe to assume that will be debuted next year in both W8 and Android variants on its coming out party/unveiling. I know a lot of folks dont buy that HW matters and all that, but I disagree greatly. I think this could be huge if the HTC TwoX and Galaxy S4 and the others have dual OS availability.

hwalker84

So the rumors of Samsung using a Galaxy SIII shellspecs for an upcoming Windows Phone 8 in Oct seem to be gaining stream. Personally, I don't care for Samsung designs, but what I am interested in is how Android and Windows Phone compete in benchmarks with the same specs...
Unless Microsoft screws up something badly with wp8 I fully expect it to trounce android.

Cipherr

We have seen cases in Android last year where phones using the same SoC manage to get a benchmarking lead over the other due to optimization in the 'skin'. Although those differences are extremely minor in those scenarios, its still possible on two different OS's for one to bench better than the other on the same hardware. I don't expect anyone to really care about that though. People will care about walking into Verizon store though and being able to choose between flagship phones on two different operating systems.

This seems like such a big deal to me, but noone else cares.

gcubed

We have seen cases in Android last year where phones using the same SoC manage to get a benchmarking lead over the other due to optimization in the 'skin'. Although those differences are extremely minor in those scenarios, its still possible on two different OS's for one to bench better than the other on the same hardware. I don't expect anyone to really care about that though. People will care about walking into Verizon store though and being able to choose between flagship phones on two different operating systems.

This seems like such a big deal to me, but noone else cares.

But nothing "trounces" anything. Curious words, I tried my hardest to not make a quip!

PG2G

I really wouldn't expect WP to do much better than Android. The UI is visually fluid, but that sort of thing wouldn't show up in benchmarks which are more a test of raw GPU and CPU performance.

And IE10 will likely still be inferior to the other browsers, in Javascript performance at least.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I really wouldn't expect WP to do much better than Android. The UI is visually fluid, but that sort of thing wouldn't show up in benchmarks which are more a test of raw GPU and CPU performance.

And IE10 will likely still be inferior to the other browsers, in Javascript performance at least.

js benchmarks haven't been relevant for years. They're all so close and it only makes up a small part of the overall page performance it's a moot point.

hardware acceleration is the new hotness in performance pissing contests.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I think WP-GAF should stick together, and so I propose we all follow each other on twitter! Everyone should post their twitter handle and we can have our crew on GAF and Twitter too!

I'll start...

@Vanillalite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom