• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totakeke

Samsung wants 100 bucks to repair the washed out AMOLED display on my Omnia 7, I thought it was just some loose connection too since there was times it seem to go back to normal.

Damn, such bad timing, what should I do? 8 is just around the corner too. :sadface

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Samsung wants 100 bucks to repair the washed out AMOLED display on my Omnia 7, I thought it was just some loose connection too since there was times it seem to go back to normal.

Damn, such bad timing, what should I do? 8 is just around the corner too. :sadface

Is it just off or is it unusable? If it's the former you'd be crazy to pay any kind of money for anything right now IMO.

Milchjon

Oh God, I'm completely overwhelmed. It just took me about 45 minutes to find out why my link won't open the browser. Still, it's fascinating to try it out.

Is there a way to keep the phone connected to the internet while the screen is locked?

This is a method to save battery life, since the WiFi radio is one of the biggest battery drainers. The problem is that Microsoft was very afraid to include options and settings, when they created this OS, so the solution is to have your cell phone data enabled or have your phone plugged into a charger.

BlackJace

First post in any of these OTs.

So uh, I was waiting for years to finally upgrade to a Windows Phone on Verizon. The Trophy tempted me, but it was too outdated/not supported by the time my contract was up. Meanwhile, AT&T got WPs through the roof. I finally gave up and got a Rezound. It's a good phone, but every now and then I wish I had a WP. The minimalistic UI is the perfect fit for me.

So, does anyone think Verizon will EVER get a 4G WP? EVER?

hwalker84

So uh, I was waiting for years to finally upgrade to a Windows Phone on Verizon. The Trophy tempted me, but it was too outdated/not supported by the time my contract was up. Meanwhile, AT&T got WPs through the roof. I finally gave up and got a Rezound. It's a good phone, but every now and then I wish I had a WP. The minimalistic UI is the perfect fit for me.

Definitely 4th quarter with WP8. Both ATT and Verizon seem to be growing tired of playing by Apples rules.

Frost_Ace

This is a method to save battery life, since the WiFi radio is one of the biggest battery drainers. The problem is that Microsoft was very afraid to include options and settings, when they created this OS, so the solution is to have your cell phone data enabled or have your phone plugged into a charger.

Meh, I'll turn on the 3G then.

Commodore

I work with a guy who works for Verizon, call center rep types, but he's part of management over there. I asked him last night if he's heard anything about new Windows Phone coming for Verizon. He said he's been told now they are getting a new Windows Phone in December. I pressed him about which company, said Nokia probably, but he wasn't sure about that one. So yeah, looks like it's happening.

PG2G

Looks like an official LinkedIn app hit the marketplace today. That came out of nowhere :p It actually looks pretty nice, too bad I don't have an account

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Supposedly we can now send Facebook messages to contacts even when they are offline now. I haven't tested it though

http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-now-allows-sending-off-line-facebook-messages/

I've used Facebook mobile to check and the messages actually register via facebook now even if the contact is offline. I never understood why this wasn't done in the first place. Pretty cool useful nonetheless.

Though I've had weird issues where people sending me messages on Facebook but not going to my phone. That's a bit obnoxious.

Tapiozona

Banned
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, I only just noticed it now. The neogaf mobile page had a custom time you can pin. Looks pretty badass.

Edit: actually I think the option to pin the custom tile has been there all along. I never scrolled down on the main page. Nevermind if this is old as dirt.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, I only just noticed it now. The neogaf mobile page had a custom time you can pin. Looks pretty badass.

Edit: actually I think the option to pin the custom tile has been there all along. I never scrolled down on the main page. Nevermind if this is old as dirt.

No, the official mobile neogaf site is relatively new, and the tile for it is very nice looking.

PG2G

Didn't they already announce that they would be using st-ericsson multicore processors sometime this year?

The rumors I've read suggest that the initial WP8 phones will be Snapdragon S4, with support for Samsung, ST-Ericsson, and Nvidia SoCs later on. We'll see I guess.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
I'm totally in love with the 800 but I can't pull the trigger on it :(

-Single core processor
-512MB RAM
-Lack of a front-facing camera, so it's poor for Skype and no self portrait pics
-No SD card slot and 16GB internal storage only

The specs are really low for a premium phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm totally in love with the 800 but I can't pull the trigger on
-Lack of a front-facing camera, so it's poor for Skype and no self portrait pics
-No SD card slot and 16GB internal storage.

These are the things you should base your decision on. If these are deal breakers, then the choice is made for you. Performance wise, you wont have a problem with the phone.

Having just watched the Avengers I want to read some more comics, I know there is a DC app, but is there something similar for Marvel? If not is there any (legal) way to read Marvel comics on my WP?

Raistlin

I'm totally in love with the 800 but I can't pull the trigger on it :(

-Single core processor
-512MB RAM
-No SD card slot and 16GB internal storage only

The specs are really low for a premium phone.

1) 1, 2, and 4 are OS limitations (well technically Samsung added SD on some phones, but it wasn't officially supported).

2) The 900 isn't a premium phone, let alone the 800.

3) Different OS's. It's not well established that a dual core is needed. Certainly that seems true of WP7 at least - it runs smooth as hell. Support for dual core chipsets will be in WP8, but without knowing the intimate details of the OS it's hard to tell how necessary it is. Curiously Nokia made a statement a day or two ago stating they weren't planning on doing dual-core initially. Their reasoning is it wasn't all that necessary in terms of performance, and just ends up being a battery suck. Obviously we'll have to wait to compare some different phones to see how true that is. In general though, GPU is typically more important than CPU.

Raistlin

Wordament - It's free and awesome
ilomilo - best game on the system
Dragon's Blade - Cool FF1 or DQ1 like RPG

I'd also add off the top of my head:

Angry Birds (if you aren't sick of it)
Bejeweled (if you aren't sick of it)
Words By Post - Similar to words with friends, but has a really sweet ranked game feature. Has cross-platform multiplayer with iOS and Android, and can search for people via Facebook ID.
Chess By Post - Chess game that has the same ranked gaming feature as Words. Similarly has cross-platform multiplayer with iOS and Android, and can search for people via Facebook ID
Trine's Hangman - Really sweet hangman game
Burn the Rope - Cool gyro puzzle game where you rotate the screen in order to keep flames alive.
Triangula - Interesting puzzle game
Quadrata - Another interesting puzzle game by the dev of Trangula
Portals 2D - Top-down Portal game
Taptitude - Mini-games collection that gets tons of regular updates. Constantly getting new modes and games.

I'm sure there are some others I can't think of. I haven't re-downloaded everything onto my new phone ... and the marketplace site is down right now so I can't check.

Commodore

New Twitter App info...

Mehdoh Ver 2.0 is done and under going MS cert

Rad. If it can help me keep track of my feed as well as twabbit has been doing, I'd switch in a heartbeat. I want Carbon's in feed pictures/video previews/design/ twabbit's feed management, and Mehdoh's live tile/general plethora of options.

Trolololololol: Apple "fixes" Siri, no longer recommends Lumia 900:

Apple has since replaced this search and altered what is relayed back to the user. Answers now provided to the query include "the one you're holding" and "you're kidding, right?" You can still perform a manual search on Wolfram Alpha and receive the same result, but this shows that Apple has zero sense of humour. No longer is Siri accurately useful to Windows Phone fans.

"What can I help you with?" Not much, I'm afraid.

Commodore

I think my Sammy Focus' battery is on its last legs. Suddenly dropping charges to near zero, general weird behavior. Anyone have any experience buying supposed OEM batteries from Amazon/eBay that are mostly under $10? Did it last? Any reputable sellers?

Lrn2reed

Neo Member
I'd also add off the top of my head:

Angry Birds (if you aren't sick of it)
Bejeweled (if you aren't sick of it)
Words By Post - Similar to words with friends, but has a really sweet ranked game feature. Has cross-platform multiplayer with iOS and Android, and can search for people via Facebook ID.
Chess By Post - Chess game that has the same ranked gaming feature as Words. Similarly has cross-platform multiplayer with iOS and Android, and can search for people via Facebook ID
Trine's Hangman - Really sweet hangman game
Burn the Rope - Cool gyro puzzle game where you rotate the screen in order to keep flames alive.
Triangula - Interesting puzzle game
Quadrata - Another interesting puzzle game by the dev of Trangula
Portals 2D - Top-down Portal game
Taptitude - Mini-games collection that gets tons of regular updates. Constantly getting new modes and games.

I'm sure there are some others I can't think of. I haven't re-downloaded everything onto my new phone ... and the marketplace site is down right now so I can't check.

Nice list I've played most of those and I need to try out Triangula and Quadrata.

I live off of Puzzle Quest 2 though, I can't put that game down. Seems like I've played this game forever and still haven't beat it lol. Oh and with the 900 it runs much smother and doesn't kill my battery like my old Focus did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom