• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Dev Story |OT| of energy drinks and booth babes. Now for Android! (iOS/And)

Fusebox

Banned
LukeSmith said:
Luketopia's Top 10 units shipped at the end of my 20 years

5. Wizard Deck 3 29.9M

7. Wizard Deck 2 27.1M
8. Wizard Deck 24.1M

Classic EA strategy, seems to have paid off. :D

SmokyDave

I'm on my 3rd playthrough. I'm now the Bobby Kotick of Game Dev Story. Just filthy rich.

I've noticed that the game has been leaping up the UK charts too, it currently rests at 18. Got to be some good word of mouth going around. I know I'm responsible for my copy plus 5 more in the office.

Brazil said:
It might affect sales negatively.

yeah, right, in some bizzaro world where nobody wants to swashbuckle across the seven seas with their plucky guild of capn's, smugglers and peg-legged monkeys*

*peg-legged monkeys available in the Cruel Seas expansion pack only

Barrett2

This is the single greatest iOS game I have played. I cannot stop thinking about this game.

My puzzle game 'Tetris Golf' was awarded worst game of the year! :lol

Shaneus

It's strange how addictive it is... I was actually in a meeting today, iPhone just sitting on my desk, charging with nothing open and I couldn't stop thinking "I wonder how my game is selling?". Fuck that for a joke.

Barrett2

Im' excited to hit year 20 so I can start a new career. I've learned so many lessons in my first 13 years of budding development. And damn those dev kits for the new systems are expensive!

Chorazin

lawblob said:
Im' excited to hit year 20 so I can start a new career. I've learned so many lessons in my first 13 years of budding development. And damn those dev kits for the new systems are expensive!

How do you start a new career and keep your ranking in the game types? I started a new game and they were back to default, so I reloaded my old save as to not have it overwriteen.

SmokyDave

Chorazin said:
How do you start a new career and keep your ranking in the game types? I started a new game and they were back to default, so I reloaded my old save as to not have it overwriteen.
That's strange, you should just be able to start a new game and the genres and types are already levelled up. Did you 'finish' your old save, ie; get to year 20?

Chorazin

SmokyDave said:
That's strange, you should just be able to start a new game and the genres and types are already levelled up. Did you 'finish' your old save, ie; get to year 20?

Yup, like year 21 or something now.

pdk27

Bought the game yesterday, got to year 20 this morning. Very addicting game. Ended up selling ~798,000,000 games and had $1.3 billion in cash. Created my own console, had a perfect scored game and won a GOTY my final year. Highest selling game sold 43 million. Now I just wish there was a hard mode. The game was very fun at the beginning but cranking out megahit after megahit got a little old at the end. I also wish there was more strategy to launching your own console. Like doing things to maintain it's market share.

Definitely a worthwhile purchase though. Most addicting game I've played in a while.

Barrett2

Surf Ninja 4 just sold almost 5 million copies! After a slow start, I'm really hitting my stride in years 15+

This is one of the best games of the year, period. With a few small tweaks, additions, added depth, a sequel to this could be like future crack.

LukeSmith

SmokyDave said:

It seems like unless you take the new game plus option when its presented to you after your 20 years you go back to pure default when you start a new game. Has anyone else found a way to launch new game+?

chris121580

Here's my review. Game is incredible and I don't even enjoy time management games:

When it comes to iPhone/iPod games, I’ve always been a sucker for the more action-oriented games like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope. The small, simple games that can be played in short intervals. I’ve never been a big fan of time management games so when it came to hearing about Game Dev Story, I didn’t really pay much attention at the time. I just blew it off as another typical time management game with very little depth and only being able to keep you entertained for an hour or so. This couldn’t be further from the truth.

After reading impressions from the TA message board and GAF message board and the review from TA, I decided to go ahead and take a leap. The price tag made me hesitant at first but I figured I’d give it a shot after all the rave reviews. I’m very thankful that I did because there has been no game that has sucked my life away more than this. It’s rare to find a game that you play until your battery is almost dead and you anxiously wait for it to recharge so you can play more. This is that game and it contains just as much content as most console games on the market today.

The premise is that you start out as a small video game software company creating games for different systems that become available through your 20 year tenure as a company. You control almost everything that takes place within that company. You’re in charge of hiring, firing, training, leveling up employees, advertising, purchasing items from a salesman to give your employees a boost, moving to larger offices, and among many other things.

The addiction comes when you realize how quickly things change throughout the 20 years. New video game systems are created and discontinued. Some systems sell well and others don’t and you have to use strategy to determine if you want to take the leap and utilize your time creating a game for a system that may very well crash and burn as well as your game. You can also run into the opposite scenario in that you create an excellent game that ends up being a system seller. If a game sells really well, you can also choose to create a sequel or trilogy or more to meet the demand of the fans.

If you’re low on money, which is a distinct possibility in the early part of the game, you can choose to create side projects for other companies. Be careful though because there’s always a deadline that you have to meet and watching the time run down and the numbers slowly run up can be a stressful situation to put yourself in.

If your employees aren’t pulling their weight around there or asking to have a chance at upgrading some sort of part of the game and fail, you can fire them and put out advertisements for new help. I had a writer asked me if she could work on sound. I gave her a shot and increased her chance to 75% and she still failed miserably and gave me 27 bugs. Out the door she went to never be heard from again.

The last great addition of this terrific game is the ability to create gaming systems of your own. If you’re lucky enough to reach this staple, it puts the game onto a whole other level and you really feel as though you’ve accomplished something with all the time you’ve put into the game..

There is one minor fault for me and I’m sure it could be fixed with an update. Currently the game does not support multi-tasking. With this being the case, be sure to save and save often. The game has a semi-decent save feature but it is standard practice anymore for new games to include multi-tasking.

There’s so much more that can be said about Game Dev Story but unfortunately I don’t have any more time to write because there are games to be made. Take a chance and make the purchase for yourself if you haven’t done so already This is an absolute must buy and is not only the best iPhone/iPod game of the year, it’s quite simply one of the best games of 2010.

I was ecstatic when my little PC dev studio got a Fantasy RPG to break 500K sales, but I'm having trouble topping that. Anyone have some tips for someone starting out?

Barrett2

Hellsing321 said:
I was ecstatic when my little PC dev studio got a Fantasy RPG to break 500K sales, but I'm having trouble topping that. Anyone have some tips for someone starting out?

Do some contract work to make a little money & experience, then level up your talent a bit. Once your people have some experience, go back to making a game, make sure the genre makes sense, and you will get a hit eventually. I had the same problem at first, kept making turkeys until I built up experience doing contract jobs.

swoon

chris121580 said:
Here's my review. Game is incredible and I don't even enjoy time management games:

When it comes to iPhone/iPod games, I’ve always been a sucker for the more action-oriented games like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope. The small, simple games that can be played in short intervals. I’ve never been a big fan of time management games so when it came to hearing about Game Dev Story, I didn’t really pay much attention at the time. I just blew it off as another typical time management game with very little depth and only being able to keep you entertained for an hour or so. This couldn’t be further from the truth.

After reading impressions from the TA message board and GAF message board and the review from TA, I decided to go ahead and take a leap. The price tag made me hesitant at first but I figured I’d give it a shot after all the rave reviews. I’m very thankful that I did because there has been no game that has sucked my life away more than this. It’s rare to find a game that you play until your battery is almost dead and you anxiously wait for it to recharge so you can play more. This is that game and it contains just as much content as most console games on the market today.

The premise is that you start out as a small video game software company creating games for different systems that become available through your 20 year tenure as a company. You control almost everything that takes place within that company. You’re in charge of hiring, firing, training, leveling up employees, advertising, purchasing items from a salesman to give your employees a boost, moving to larger offices, and among many other things.

The addiction comes when you realize how quickly things change throughout the 20 years. New video game systems are created and discontinued. Some systems sell well and others don’t and you have to use strategy to determine if you want to take the leap and utilize your time creating a game for a system that may very well crash and burn as well as your game. You can also run into the opposite scenario in that you create an excellent game that ends up being a system seller. If a game sells really well, you can also choose to create a sequel or trilogy or more to meet the demand of the fans.

If you’re low on money, which is a distinct possibility in the early part of the game, you can choose to create side projects for other companies. Be careful though because there’s always a deadline that you have to meet and watching the time run down and the numbers slowly run up can be a stressful situation to put yourself in.

If your employees aren’t pulling their weight around there or asking to have a chance at upgrading some sort of part of the game and fail, you can fire them and put out advertisements for new help. I had a writer asked me if she could work on sound. I gave her a shot and increased her chance to 75% and she still failed miserably and gave me 27 bugs. Out the door she went to never be heard from again.

The last great addition of this terrific game is the ability to create gaming systems of your own. If you’re lucky enough to reach this staple, it puts the game onto a whole other level and you really feel as though you’ve accomplished something with all the time you’ve put into the game..

There is one minor fault for me and I’m sure it could be fixed with an update. Currently the game does not support multi-tasking. With this being the case, be sure to save and save often. The game has a semi-decent save feature but it is standard practice anymore for new games to include multi-tasking.

There’s so much more that can be said about Game Dev Story but unfortunately I don’t have any more time to write because there are games to be made. Take a chance and make the purchase for yourself if you haven’t done so already This is an absolute must buy and is not only the best iPhone/iPod game of the year, it’s quite simply one of the best games of 2010.

reviews aren't the bullet points of the game.

Is it better to level up your employees or train them? I've favoured training over levelling so far as it doesn't increase the overall wage bill.

TimeKillr

Harry_Tequila said:
Is it better to level up your employees or train them? I've favoured training over levelling so far as it doesn't increase the overall wage bill.

Leveling is good. Switching to another job after you've hit level 5 is also advisable, and repeat that often.

An employee that is expensive is an employee who produces a LOT of stuff. Believe me.

In my game now, I'm in year 20, 6 hackers (3 of them manually leveled) and it makes a WORLD of difference, with some having 400+ stats and all.

yeoz

LukeSmith said:
It seems like unless you take the new game plus option when its presented to you after your 20 years you go back to pure default when you start a new game. Has anyone else found a way to launch new game+?
This happened to me, I exited the new game, went back into the old savegame, hit save, and then exited, and the next new game I started had the type/genre stats I had when I had hit Y20 the first time around (but not the stats from Y29 where I was in the old savegame).

Barrett2

How do I get a hardware engineer?

I want to use the potion thing to turn someone into a hardware engineer, but I don't see the option. They have "level 2 hardware engineer" in their work history....

J2d

Game was amazing at first but it didn't take long (well at least it didn't feel like it) to get really boring and pointless. Hope they get it right with the sequel.

123rl

I started a new game earlier. I rushed a game out with 40 bugs (and was told that was a new record for me :lol ). About 3 months later into the game I got a message saying that customers had found a massive bug and the game was being withdrawn...and I had to give a refund plus $12 for every copy sold. I'm now $1m in debt

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
swoon said:
reviews aren't the bullet points of the game.

Yeah, but if you actually cut out everything that isn't actually a review of the game, it's only a paragraph long.

Barrett2

123rl said:
I started a new game earlier. I rushed a game out with 40 bugs (and was told that was a new record for me :lol ). About 3 months later into the game I got a message saying that customers had found a massive bug and the game was being withdrawn...and I had to give a refund plus $12 for every copy sold. I'm now $1m in debt

Awesome :lol

Doel

Just bought the game today and played it for 2 hours straight. It's absolutely incredible. So addicting, I think I'm at game #12 now and I had a few contracts in between as well.

I'm not doing bad in sales, I think, but I can't seem to get good reviews though :lol .

The thing that annoys me is every time an employee comes up to me and asks for money and experience points to try and advance a part of the game, 9/10 times it ends up failing. It actually only worked the very first time I accepted, and since then every time I've said yes it had failed. So now I don't even bother saying yes anymore.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
At end of game - last 32 shipped (reordered where series :) ) :

Borecraft - 10.4m
Forksole 5 - 33.8m
Forksole 4 - 45.5m
Forksole 3 - 24.8m
Forksole 2 - 24.2m
Forksole - 17.9m
Pikeymong 4 - 46.4m
Pikeymong 3 - 21.1m
Putt It In 2 - 29.7m
Putt It In - 8.7m
Bush Nudgers 4 - 24.1m <-- 40/40
Bush Nudgers 3 - 31.9m
Bush Nudgers 2 - 20.1m
Bush Nudgers - 11.1m
Mef-Zero GX 3 - 23.3m
Mef-Zero GX 2 - 11.6m <-- GOTY Y16
Mef-Zero GX - 12.8m
Operation Woof - 13.2m <-- Mini skirt simulation
Ninja Garden 6 - 15.7m
Ninja Garden 5 - 22.5m
Ninja Garden 4 - 15.1m
Ketsu 3 - 11.3m
Ketsu 2 - 25.1m
Ketsu - 13.6m
I'm on a boat - 13.8m
Dobutsu Banjo 4 - 20.1m
Dobutsu Banjo 3 - 11.2m
Crusty Bell - 6.3m
Dodonsnatchit - 8.9m
Last Ginger 3 - 9.9m
Foamhounds 2 - 10.1m
Pitlane Chimp - 6.6m

No hardware developed, 63 games created.

LCfiner

0OoO0 said:
Is this game compatible with any version of ipod touch? I got a first gen one...

the only requirement is that you’re using iOS 3.1 or later.

first gen ipod touch will run it

TheExodu5

Banned
So my system has sold 16 million units, and yet the first game I released for it sold 30 million units. How does this make sense? :lol

kottila

TheExodu5 said:
So my system has sold 16 million units, and yet the first game I released for it sold 30 million units. How does this make sense? :lol

Didn't you read the reviews? "I bought 3 of this for myself"

Has anyone got the Jupiter 512 console to appear yet? It just appeared for me, claiming it can take you to outter space (lol)! It's manafactured by Karoisoft, who are also the developers of Game Dev Story... I'm wondering if it's a secret item?

Ristlager

Got the Jupiter after around 15 years. Don't know what I did to get it to appear.

My We Fit3 game sold a whopping 44 million, getting four 10s in review, when it debuted on the same console.

My own console is now very close to 18 mill sold. Was hoping it would gain some sails after I have released multiple 30 mill selling games, but after the initial salesboom, it is moving extremely slow. Anyone know if you can boost the sales of your own console?

And how big is your fanbase? I think I just passed 5000 fans. Havn't quite seen the importanse of them, so I only use the lunar advertising once per game.

SmokyDave

I've developed for the Jupiter. I've also developed for the Toilet console, I can't remember what it's called though.

I'm on playthrough number 3 and I just got GoTY in year 11. On playthrough 4 my aim is to get GoTY in under ten years and a 40 scoring game in under 15.

I want to tear myself away from this nonsense to play Reckless Racing but I can't.

Ristlager said:
Got the Jupiter after around 15 years. Don't know what I did to get it to appear.

Have you developed for it? It seems a bit of a coincidence to have the makers name on it, so I wonder if it has any other effect?

kottila

Ristlager said:

My We Fit3 game sold a whopping 44 million, getting four 10s in review, when it debuted on the same console.

My own console is now very close to 18 mill sold. Was hoping it would gain some sails after I have released multiple 30 mill selling games, but after the initial salesboom, it is moving extremely slow. Anyone know if you can boost the sales of your own console?

And how big is your fanbase? I think I just passed 5000 fans. Havn't quite seen the importanse of them, so I only use the lunar advertising once per game.

The first one/two weeks seems to be all your console sales, at least when you're approaching 20 mill. Releasing games will increase the sales, but not by much, maybe a million or two in total if you ho at it for long enough, my record is around 22 million. Considering how much money you spend on developing the console and maintaining your consumer base as they fall off during development, I can't really see any reason to create a console, except for the fun of it.

I'm at around 9700-9900 fans at the end of the game and sell 50-70 million of each game

kottila

lawblob said:
How do I start a new game +?

I'm in year 21, but I don't see an option in-game or on the start menu.

I just started a new game. Still had to discover all the genres, but when I did, they had the same levels as in the old game

SmokyDave

lawblob said:
How do I start a new game +?

I'm in year 21, but I don't see an option in-game or on the start menu.
All I did was chose 'New Game' (top option) rather than 'Continue Game' (middle option) and my levels were retained. That's worked for 2 play-throughs now. That doesn't seem to be cutting the mustard for everyone though.

Flek

Banned
haha thx for pointing out this game, it is amaizing. I played it so mouch today…

my best selling game so far is - neogaf 2. Yehaaa … even though reviewers hated it. But cmon how can you hate a ninja puzzle game for gameboy !?

Top Bottom