• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Full length Halo movie produced by Ridley Scott in the works

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does the story actually make sense - enough to support a movie? I was completely lost trying to make sense of halo 4's story.

I guess there is enough lore to work from though

Mulgrok

The helmets can be translucent enough just to give an idea about the facial expressions soldiers are wearing without turning the faceless soldier's identity into whoever is the actor.

IRQ

Banned
I really hope they keep on the helmet and dos not show MC face. Use the MC voice from the games. That will save them some money and wont ruin the MC figure on our minds. Every halo fan sees him self as the chief. 343 kinda ruined it by showing hes eyes. I hope they stop. with that nonsense.

Then again, It could be not about MC. Just a Halo universe movie.

I'm surprised how many people think this will feature MC as the main character.. None of the other live action bits featured him only, with Forward Unto Dawn being an exception.

But anyways, 343's MC does have a face.

kJGPevr.jpg

nfa3CFt.jpg

Not saying they should show it, but it certainly wouldn't be the worst thing. MC came off as a goofy super hero in Forward Unto Dawn.

But I would prefer the live action feature less 'iconic' characters, even if they have more character:

It would be great.

bidguy

Banned
hope they never show it or atleast in halo 6

takes away the mystery of the character. kinda like what happened to hayabusa from ninja gaiden. you cant give a killing machine a face.

jet1911

Does the story actually make sense - enough to support a movie? I was completely lost trying to make sense of halo 4's story.

I guess there is enough lore to work from though

The main plot points of Halo 4 story are told through the unlockable terminals. Dumbest decision ever.

Computer

Yea make a Halo movie and not include the main character. Fantastic idea.

Chief was not the main character in Forward Until Dawn. Thomas Lasky was and it worked very well. I actually liked getting the perspective of seeing the chief through other characters eyes. Hastati squad had no clue who or what Master Chief was. Nor did they ask. All they know is he was a hero that saved there lives. I thought it was very well done and would not mind if the movie went in a similar fashion.

I'd love a Halo that was 90% action starring Master Chief with Avatar-level CG and production values. Follow the basic story of Halo: Combat Evolved.

m23

I'd love a Halo that was 90% action starring Master Chief with Avatar-level CG and production values. Follow the basic story of Halo: Combat Evolved.

Why would you want the same story told again?

I'd rather a movie without chief in it, there is a lot of stuff in the Halo universe. Some focus on forerunners would be really interesting, with some help from Greg Bear.

charsace

They could do the movie from the POV of another Spartan. That way you don't have to see MC without his helmet. They could choose Frederic, the best spartan. Or go with Linda or Kelly to get some crazy solo kill scenes.

Busty

Banned
If I had to guess I'd assume that this is going to be some kind of extension of the Machinima series either for a premiere on Xbone/Live or a straight to disc release..., or both.

It would be very surprising if MS had partnered with a major studio and had gotten (if this proves to be accurate with an official confirmation) so far into pre-production without anyone knowing.

Of course if it was going to be a CG animated project then it would stand to reason that they'd have to get it into production now (much like a video game) rather than announce it first like a live action project.

But having the writer behind Prison Break (his last TV gig was Zero Hour but he still gets big rewrite jobs IIRC) doing scripting duties makes this feel a little more substantial.

It's been a while since we heard anything about that mini-series. I wonder if this project is MS' 'plan B'?

Yea make a Halo movie and not include the main character. Fantastic idea.

The Bourne Legacy is sitting somewhere quietly weeping.

Though to be fair Master Chief has to be the least cinematic 'friendly' character in all of video game-dom so they don't really have much choice.

GECK

Halo needed a movie.. 10 years ago. With 343/MS already running Halo into the ground a blockbuster stinker would just be depressing.

I know this won't happen but I'd rather see them pull from the Greg Bear novels for a film. From the half of the book I read it seems to be much more interesting than just another future militaristic book; it's an actual Sci-Fi story.

That would be a trilogy about walking from point A to point B with "danger" in between. Like Lord of the Rings, but the first GB book had absolutely no redeemable action sequences.

Booyeah, Ridley Scott of late isn't as good as his earlier films but he's an awesome director/producer.

Would love to see Halo Reach put on the big screen. Reach had such a good story for a video game + could be told even better on the big screen. Combat Evolved had a pretty bare bones story + 2 was pretty nasty with that elite character.

Still, Halo's cities are amazing. Make more of them and more covenant blasting the hell out of them and you're set!

RAIDEN1

I think it should be a CG based movie, the cutscenes in Halo 4 were outstanding, near photo-realistic..no issues about casting the right/wrong actor..

derFeef

I'll believe it when I see the movie. And a Halo movie or series does not need Master Chief as the main protagonist/hero/storypoint at all.

Zakalwe

Banned
I didn't know Neil Blomkamp directed it, I've been wanting to see it based on reviews alone, now I definitely have to check it out. How is this considered bad?

ng1yLUh.jpg

68% is a generaous score, imo. It's pretty awful.

The story isn't engaging, the characters are really bland (Kruger aside), and there are so many plot points that make little sense.

The film looks wonderful, but even the action sequences seem lifeless.

Anyway, I'd give Blomkamp another shot. D9 was great and he's 50/50 atm. Scott, on the otherhand, can stay as far away as possible from sci-fi after Promethearse. He's been on a decline for years and that film was the biggest waste of potential I've seen in a long time.

monome

I recently commented MS is fucked in wanting to promote Halo as a giant entertainment brand with other big sci-fi shooters coming, and Star Wars being "resurrected".

MS is not only fucked but dumb.

the Halo Universe is going nowhere as it stands.

#rebootHALO.
#qualityiswhatmatters.

I love me some Halo, and gladly buy MS products thanks to the Halo effect.
But for the Didact's sake. make the MS ecosystem the exclusive home to Halo. the quality of anything produced outside MS plateforms is abysmal. it's either too cheap, or too costly far what it does...

MS is rushing to exploit the IP.

good Halo games are what will keep the IP alive in the end.

Jawmuncher

Wow so it only takes one "bad" movie for him to end up on the shit list? I still want Blomkamp for the Halo movie. Can't imagine anyone else doing it justice.

In most cases I would say no but Elysium was a drastic plummet from District 9.
It reminded me of DMC to DMC2 levels of plummeting. Everything about District 9 was so lifeless and unengaging. The only positive to the film was Kruger. If Blomkamp got a shot at Halo maybe the creative leash on it would be a good thing.

monome

In most cases I would say no but Elysium was a drastic plummet from District 9.
It reminded me of DMC to DMC2 levels of plummeting. Everything about District 9 was so lifeless and unengaging. The only positive to the film was Kruger. If Blomkamp got a shot at Halo maybe the creative leash on it would be a good thing.

the robots. they were awesome. they belonged to the movie in an uncannyish sense.

SpartanN92

Banned
I recently commented MS is fucked in wanting to promote Halo as a giant entertainment brand with other big sci-fi shooters coming, and Star Wars being "resurrected".

MS is not only fucked but dumb.

the Halo Universe is going nowhere as it stands.

#rebootHALO.
#qualityiswhatmatters.

Well it's a good thing you aren't in charge. One poorly received Halo title and it's all doom and gloom.

I bet you haven't kept up with the books or comics. The Halo universe is treading into some VERY interesting areas. The return of the Forerunners, the rise of the 2nd Insurrection, the possibility of the return of the Spirit of Fire, the new covenant etc.

You do realize the effect that a major blockbuster movie could have on that franchise? And I'm not talking some terrible typical video game movie like Hitman or Doom, but an actual high budget movie? The effect could be tremendous.

Why don't you hang back a bit on your ridiculously negative (And frankly stupid) comments?

MS is rushing to exploit the IP.

WHAT??? Do you not remember the whole Peter Jackson debacle regarding the movie. If they were rushing the IP then they would have replaced Blokamp immediately and went ahead full steam....This IP is nearing 15 years old. How on earth is this rushed???

Madness

I would rather have producer Peter Jackson and director Neill Blomkamp back on the job. I know Jackson is busy for the next year with The Hobbit, but please do not screw this up.

Wouldn't ever happen again. They turned their Halo project into District 9, a pretty great movie on it's own.

Why would Blomkamp want to make another attempt at Halo, when he can just do a sequel to District 9? He also did Elysium recently.

monome

humm...

I may post stupid/negative comments.

But don't condemn me for my lack of Halothusiasm.

Bear's books were awesome, to some extent. they are unfilmable.
Traviss'books are utter shit.

Prior Halo books are in the very low/medium scale of sci-fi books. what elevates them is being part of a broader entertainment.

Comics...hummm quality is pretty subpar honestly.

Toys...well Play arts are okay but the collection is pretty much rinse and repeat.
Mac Farlane stuff is not for me.

The games? I don't shit on Halo 4. I played it.
But MP is dead. and the story is poorly constructed. a slap to the face of those who bought the books leading to it. and generally not the next big thing as far as cool sci-fi series are concerned.

Not saying Halo should not be done outside games. simply it cannot compete.
343i made a competent ("feels like Halo") Halo with a deserted MP. why would I want them to start producing movies/series in addition to toys/books etc...when I couldn't find a proper game in MP to play?

True. Which is why I think his next film might end up working.

I trust in Chappie>>>>>>> Halo movie.

and not looking for a fight but Ridley Scott? really!?

this dude is over his head already with prometheus 2 / Blade runner 2, the connection between the two series etc...

So, no. Halo has very much yet to prove its worth, when in fact Halo's lore is pretty bare still (Insurrection 2 is dumb, I don't ever want to kill humans in halo, nor am I interested in it, and SIV are nothing more than Stormtroopers whereas SII were the shit, child trauma and all), the games have yet to prove 343i is a creative studio and the extended merchandises are worth getting over others.

Lewpy

Banned
I think the whole 'helmet on' argument is a little redundant. The only reason it was factor in the games was because...well it was a game. They made him keep his mask on to instil the everyman aspect into the character, so that every player 'became' Master Chief.

This is a film, dealing with a bigger story than whether the main character keeps his helmet on. Halo is an intergalactic sci-fi story, hell, we eventually got to see Darth Vaders real face.

We all know John is an actual person, his features were described in the books. As a character, he is not a generic person to facilitate an avatar anymore. Sure make nods to it and its origins from the game, maybe delay his reveal through the course of the film. But don't restrict the development of a film franchise because a bunch of fanboys will get all pissy

scitek

They should get Stallone to reprise his role as John Spartan from Demolition Man since Master Chief's name is John and he's a Spartan.

GECK

This is a film, dealing with a bigger story than whether the main character keeps his helmet on. Halo is an intergalactic sci-fi story, hell, we eventually got to see Darth Vaders real face.

Revealing Vader's face was silly though.

Urban kept his helmet on for the entire film in Dredd. Worked out beautifully.

Lewpy

Banned
Revealing Vader's face was silly though.

Urban kept his helmet on for the entire film in Dredd. Worked out beautifully.

No it wasn't. Making it Hayden Christensen's face was the mistake. Revealing his face humanised his character, you wouldn't have believe his origin story if he was behind a mask the whole time. They did it with Boba Fett too, it's not as taboo as everyones been lead to believe.

Oriel

Very risky developing a Halo movie at this stage. Given the near mythic status of MC it would probably make for a better film if a story was developed that focused more on other participants of the Human-Covenant war, like a squad of ODST's. Of course the downside to that is many casual fans tend to almost exclusively associate Halo with the Chief so anything less than John as the lead character could lead to failure.

I hope the producers and senior writing staff are aware of all this. Oh, and ensure 343 are involved at every step of the process.

Simbah

Neo Member
I think a Halo-movie could work, but it wouldn't be easy to pull off. I think if Spartans are required, their best bet is to make a film out of the Fall of Reach - book.

Even better if they based it on the Contact Harvest - book with Idris Elba as Johnson! That would be a tad cheaper since that story doesn't contain any Spartans and only a few Covenant-species (no Elites mostly Brutes and the cannon fodder).

jelly

Please feature the ODST crew. Seems obvious for a movie.

That would be cool but they seem to have gone full steam ahead with their lame, anyone can be a Spartan, nobody else is needed ever, we're all the same except for our awesome colored armor approach to Halo.

angrygnat

Why would they pay Channing Tatum a whole buttload of cash for a role where 90% of it is going to be in CG and in the other 10% he's going to be wearing a mask. I'd rather get someone on the cheap that matches the body type, and just get someone to voice MC. David Hayter maybe lol. Screw with everyone's mind.

Top Bottom