• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Honor |OT| And shame are huge parts of it

Strakt

It's really bad. Even the title doesn't make sense, it's a quantitative assessment. It's a quantitative analysis of player perceptions from reddit. It's not meaningful analysis because its not based on anything but the users own perceptions and fails to sepererate meaningfully by skill or other attributes affecting the players experience.

Garbage in, garbage out, no matter how much effort you put into the analysis. It merely represents the perceptions of the reddit community. This means absolutely nothing. Players have voted based on their own personal estimations, yet they all have different backgrounds and biases. They play different modes, characters, have different skill levels etc.

The author even tried to analyse differences that might be dissociable by skill level, however this uses self perceptions of the users own skill level. This is an utterly useless metric. Not many users will be honest about their skill level on a survey, even if they intended to be there's no way for them to reliably estimate. I suspect almost all respondants were average or above, confounding any possibility to meaningfully seperate the impressions of the more skilled, from the less skilled.

Isn't this every tier list ever? It's the best effort yet at one which the user clearly put a lot of time and effort into.

Jeez are you negative in all your posts? First you complain about heroes costing 500 steel to unlock, now this lol.

Budi

Use it all, don't feel ashamed to use the environment. The other guy just needs to play better. That's how I look at it.

Yeah I think it's very legitimate tactic to throw people to their deaths. The devs didn't put those ledges and fire in there by accident. Mind your surroundings and be aware of the map layout. But I've been off from multiplayer games for over a year now after 3k hours of Dota. Got really burnt out by all the hostility. Maybe I should just try to embrace the incoming salt, seems to work for many :p They are mad because I was better than them. I do think the game and community would be healthier if everyone understood and accepted the importance of map awareness and wouldn't get pissy about it. When I get thrown off, I get mad at myself for not playing better. No need to vent my frustration to myself into others.

Marvel

could never
I know this is kinda nerdy but it is so cool slowly circling each other in the high stance the Warden's have.

Me and this guy's knight kept starting our fights with a slow walk into that. Ha

I'm not sure we should jump to balance conclusions until we have more time with the game. Just sayin.

At even moderate level of play we've hit a point where no one wants to attack eachother because attacking means getting parried or counter hit. The games balance issues aren't obscure or hard to detect. The mechanics of this game aren't so indepth that we can anticipate new tech to develop, shifting things around.

It's not that certain characters are unbalanced it's more that a certain style of play is unbalanced, passive, defensive play is overpowered and doesn't infer any risk. Therefore characters that mediate that in any way, end up on top. Assasins are harder to react to, they can more easily evade offensive options, the weird blocking mechanism that is supposed to make their guard more challenging, makes no difference.

If we say, compare Orochi to Raider, for instance. The Raider has NOTHING in his kit to open up the Orochi. The Orochi has no reason to do anything because he can merely parry or evade and punish every single approach the Raider has. It isn't difficult, because the Raiders approaches are slow and easy to react to.

The end result, is a Raider that doesn't attack, because every time he does he's punished for it. Now once you have your opponent playing passively, the Orochi is free to do whatever he likes. While not unavoidable, the Orochi's attacks are far more difficult to react to and evade, carrying much less risk to each approach. He's free to harass and the Raider has to essentially get lucky with a parry to get any chance of doing anything.

Marvel

could never
Bots are way harder than Humans, also scumbags who gank just like us... and taunt lol

(Yes I just got destroyed by some xD)

Hasney

49AB90149EDA9E81323CBC1EA959918274EE3796

Hnnng, that win felt great, so freaking dominant for once and no slop. Felt even better as the game is defo not pay to win, their top player had level 72 gear with a purple icon. I didn't even know that was a thing.

Braag

Bots are way harder than Humans, also scumbags who gank just like us... and taunt lol

(Yes I just got destroyed by some xD)

I once had a bot in 2 v 2 turn around at the start of the match, take the speed boost behind him and run all the way to the other side of the map to gank my mate then the two bots came after me together.

So yeah, they can be complete assholes.

Yeah I think it's very legitimate tactic to throw people to their deaths. The devs didn't put those ledges and fire in there by accident. Mind your surroundings and be aware of the map layout. But I've been off from multiplayer games for over a year now after 3k hours of Dota. Got really burnt out by all the hostility. Maybe I should just try to embrace the incoming salt, seems to work for many :p They are mad because I was better than them. I do think the game and community would be healthier if everyone understood and accepted the importance of map awareness and wouldn't get pissy about it. When I get thrown off, I get mad at myself for not playing better. No need to vent my frustration to myself into others.

All of my salt regarding ledge kills is usually more due to the dodgy throw techs than the concept itself. The way the game is now it's tricky to tech guard breaks consistently, which would be fine if missing one didn't guarantee 100% death in some situations.

I think a potential solution could be that hitting a ledge drains stamina as your character focuses to keep their balance. A lot, even, like a half a bar or more. You can only be thrown off the ledge if you run out of stamina. Ditto spikes, maybe have them do some damage to the player if they hit them with stamina like a normal hazard but insta-kill without. I'm fine otherwise with things like fires.

The guard break has to stay strong because right now it's pretty much the only thing keeping the game from being 100% defense oriented but it is tiresome that so many battles can be decided by "who pushed square at the wrong time?" Or maybe it's just that maps with insta-kill falls are a bit too common in Duel for my liking.

Budi

Now I get called out for using (a lot) of unblockable attack on Dominion. :I Like ofcourse I do, I don't want to gain them revenge by getting blocked. I'm playing with a class that seems to be considered weak, Raider. And yet I'm not supposed to throw people down or use the unblockable attack. How much do I need to gimp myself before people are happy.

I think a potential solution could be that hitting a ledge drains stamina as your character focuses to keep their balance. A lot, even, like a half a bar or more. You can only be thrown off the ledge if you run out of stamina. Ditto spikes, maybe have them do some damage to the player if they hit them with stamina like a normal hazard but insta-kill without. I'm fine otherwise with things like fires.

Yeah while I'm no game dev, that suggestion doesn't sound that bad. But then those characters with strong throws should be buffed in other areas I think.

Do people still just stick to one character mostly? Personally I have 3 characters at prestige 1 atm. Probably taking Nobushi there next, I like to have some skill with all the different class types. I would get bored by playing with just one character constantly. The ones I've leveled are Raider at highest rank, then Shugoki and Peacekeeper.

HiiiLife

Now I get called out for using (a lot) of unblockable attack on Dominion. :I Like ofcourse I do, I don't want to gain them revenge by getting blocked. I'm playing with a class that seems to be considered weak, Raider. And yet I'm not supposed to throw people down or use the unblockable attack. How much do I need to gimp myself before people are happy.

Join the club.

KaYotiX

Banned

just do what i do.....ignore them

JTCx

You're forced to parry assassins in order to get hits in, or have really good timing and judge distance well in order to land strikes and even then we're talking about light attacks that don't do much. I've been playing a lot of Lawbringer lately but he's just so sad in 1v1 fights. The only way to get reliable damage in is by parrying light attacks or if your opponent cannot counter guardbreak. I almost feel like the Peacekeeper's attacks shouldn't stagger, or something like that.

I feel you on that as another Lawbringer player here. I especially have a hard time against Berserkers. They would constantly throw out dodge attacks making all your attempts at attacking worthless. If theyre good at mixing up their infinite chain, its a wrap it comes out so fast you're going to eat a couple of hits before you can block something.

Ferrio

Banned
All of my salt regarding ledge kills is usually more due to the dodgy throw techs than the concept itself. The way the game is now it's tricky to tech guard breaks consistently, which would be fine if missing one didn't guarantee 100% death in some situations.

Nerfing ledge kills would make me drop this game so fast. Not only are the hilarious even if you're on the receiving end, but they add an extra layer of stage awareness that you must have.

Bizazedo

The problem arises when they cancel their parry and block your punish. Feinting is not good enough.

Lol cant even hate.

Err, it's like a fighting game. It's not supposed to work 100% of the time. The game is more mindgame based and I love it for it and that's one reason why I feel a lot of the complaints come from just not using Feint enough.

It won't work every time, but when you feint and an assassin goes for a dodge attack and you punish them...so good.

People don't like to lose and look for excuses. If anything hurts this game in the longrun, it'll be that. That's why DOTA / team shooters work, can blame other people :).

And that's not saying the balance is 100%. It's not and never will be. The tiers are closer than people are giving it credit for, though, especially with the non 1%'ers (assuming people learn to feint :) ).

AEREC

What's with people leaving just before taking a loss in dominion? Do they not get punished?

I assume it's a given that you don't get experience when quitting a match early.

Marvel

could never
What's with people leaving just before taking a loss in dominion? Do they not get punished?

I assume it's a given that you don't get experience when quitting a match early.
No punishment for RQ's.

I'm having SFV flashbacks lol

Laiza

Ah, you're talking of the dodge attack, not the doge itself ? Then those attacks are telegraphed as it's always the direction of the dodge.
Fair enough, but the central problem still remains: this requires you play extremely passively and wait for them to make a mistake. If the player is smart and only dodges on reaction, you're screwed. Feints can only take you so far.

The guard break has to stay strong because right now it's pretty much the only thing keeping the game from being 100% defense oriented but it is tiresome that so many battles can be decided by "who pushed square at the wrong time?" Or maybe it's just that maps with insta-kill falls are a bit too common in Duel for my liking.
100% with you there. I really think insta-kills should only be possible on exhausted opponents. Hinging too much of every match on a single button press is just terrible. Feels bad to use and feels bad to get hit by. Can't even use light attacks to stop it in its tracks because you're always at a disadvantage on block, which means having to have perfect 100% bot-like reflexes to stop it entirely.

Doesn't feel good.

Damn it Nobushi is really fun as well! No idea how to use the hidden stance properly though.
Hidden stance is pretty simple. Just use it like a dodge, it's got a ton of i-frames on activation. You can then follow up with an attack of your choice, or even just kick the opponent for a guaranteed stab follow-up.

Braag

Worst is when the host ragequits and you get a network error message. Thanks to his ragequit no one gets exp/steel from that match.

Damn it Nobushi is really fun as well! No idea how to use the hidden stance properly though.

I just hit Rep 2 with her and its to retire and move on to someone new. My biggest problem playing her was being able to match my opponents direction...either im too old and my reflexes really suck or i just cant get used to her slow pole.

Ferrio

Banned
Hidden stance is pretty simple. Just use it like a dodge, it's got a ton of i-frames on activation. You can then follow up with an attack of your choice, or even just kick the opponent for a guaranteed stab follow-up.

It can also be used for feints, which allows Nobushi to feint lights.

Marvel

could never
Samurai are cleaning house all day, nice to see.

You can also dash out or hidden stance for a cheeky stab or heavy swipe. I did that a lot.

Dantis

They need to give the the chance to opt out of this faction war shit. Drives me up the fucking wall. Get rid of that shitty map menu and replace it with a proper menu, and stop giving me an update on the faction war status after every game.

Fuck.

Bizazedo

Do we know what types of rewards we get at the end of a season? I have a lot of troops fighting for the Knights.

I know the map doesn't make it look like I do, but I do.

Lord Phol

I just hit Rep 2 with her and its to retire and move on to someone new. My biggest problem playing her was being able to match my opponents direction...either im too old and my reflexes really suck or i just cant get used to her slow pole.

Thanks for the explanations! Will definetly try to use it more. I'm having a little bit of problem with her horizontal game but her pokes are so good.

Braag

It's weird how I parry orochi's fast strikes easily but have difficulty parrying shugoki's slow attacks cause I try to parry too early.

Marvel

could never
It's weird how I parry orochi's fast strikes easily but have difficulty parrying shugoki's slow attacks cause I try to parry too early.
I'm like this, can parry all the fast attacks no problem because of my SFV xp. But Shugoki and Kensei's overheard heavy I can't lol. Weird late timing with those.

AEREC

They need to give the the chance to opt out of this faction war shit. Drives me up the fucking wall. Get rid of that shitty map menu and replace it with a proper menu, and stop giving me an update on the faction war status after every game.

Fuck.

Of all the things to complain about...it's really not that bad.

I wonder how many people have decided to grind co-op vs AI in order to level up their classes.

I just hit Level 2 Rep on my Shugoki, by grinding it out on co-op Dominion. I want new pretty looking gear!

Marvel

could never
I had the standard, but not the selectable orders today and I went to bed before the reset. No idea what happened.
Likewise.

Also on a side note, I just bought some steel granted just the lowest pack but boy I never do that with games. That's how much fun I am having with FH. I just love it.

Hasney

So I'm going to save my steel until I'm rep 3 now I think to get purples from what I've read, but how did I fight a rep 1 guy with a 75 gear score?

Marvel

could never
So I'm going to save my steel until I'm rep 3 now I think to get purples from what I've read, but how did I fight a rep 1 guy with a 75 gear score?
You parry his ass till he quits lol. Honestly most people high gear either suck or are mediocre in my personal experience.

Anung

Un Rama
Hopefully Samurai's stay on top.

Not going to lie I was getting frustrated before at people rage quitting or having stupidly high level gear. They need to sort this shit out

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I get fucking destroyed by the berserker and conqueror when they just flail around. Something about the tempo of their attacks I just can't grasp.

Top Bottom