• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Nyoro SF

I played through FC once while playing at my own pace, then I replayed it for the 100%. I plan on doing the same with SC.

Mostly because I don't like going through RPGs with a guide for the first time; makes them feel like work instead of fun and I don't want to turn an enjoyable game like this into too much work where I'm constantly checking multiple lists, even on my FC replay it was kind of stressful, don't want to imagine what it would be like doing that for a first-run SC.

SC gives you more incentive for a replay, too, because you can partner with either Agate or Scherazard for early-game and get different sets of dialogue as a result. Right now I'm going with Agate to preserve the male/female pairing (Joshua/Estelle), but apparently there's gender balance to consider for equipment and battle strats.

Acosta

I still can't believe it...

Thanks Xseed, thank you SpaceDrake, thank you Sara. I have no time to play it now but I'm there day one, sales be damned.

Famassu

If it's even 10% off I'll buy it. Otherwise, might as well wait until I'll actually have time to play it. Not until after Fallout 4, that's for sure.
You can buy & play Fallout 4 later when mods & at least a few patches have made the game worthwhile to play instead of Bethesda's usual vanilla-lameness.

Durante

I played through FC once while playing at my own pace, then I replayed it for the 100%. I plan on doing the same with SC.

Mostly because I don't like going through RPGs with a guide for the first time; makes them feel like work instead of fun and I don't want to turn an enjoyable game like this into too much work where I'm constantly checking multiple lists, even on my FC replay it was kind of stressful, don't want to imagine what it would be like doing that for a first-run SC.
That's why I normally dislike design in JRPG which has too many time-limited missables.

Aeana

Is this game just as bad with this as FC?

All of the games in this series are like that if you want to get absolutely everything. They all have hidden quests that you'll only ever uncover by talking to NPCs (aren't listed on the board), all have books to collect, etc. Although I think FC and SC are the worst about having to go to an extremely out of the way place to get a book or a hidden quest... though I can think of one particularly dumb case in Trails of Cold Steel.

You can buy & play Fallout 4 later when mods & at least a few patches have made the game worthwhile to play instead of Bethesda's usual vanilla-lameness.

To each his own, I've played every Fallout near release, mod free, no problems yet. I enjoyed FC, but I am hyped for F4 at the moment.

Eusis

It's why I won't care (much) for SC. FC was for preparation to SC in case I wouldn't/couldn't replay, but SC may as well just ENJOY it.

Finalow

- (you need it for
Lorence
specifically) -
eh, that fight was legit bullshit on nightmare.

I couldn't die, his damage wasn't high at all (pretty sure some random special ops soldiers with the halberd did way more) even without kaempfer, but HE couldn't die either, that is what was annoying for me. 70% HP left? Np, spamming tearal and recovering 1800HP + double earth guard, and again, he's not even at half HP so it makes no sense. oh yeah but you can stop his arts with impede 3 quartz right, 80% chance right? Nope, as soon as he gets a turn he uses the art (you know it's tearal) right after casting it, and I'd say that happens 90% of the time, even if everyone was at max speed.

fight literally took 2 hours then I realized that Estelle and Shera could do 4k+ damage with a crit turn and their best S-craft, mostly Estelle if you get her strongest weapon. and even with that you need to get lucky.

/rant

now I wonder if SC has similar fights

max_505

I promised myself that I'd play FC's soundtrack (more like the soundtrack selections from FC's premium edition) and prostrate in front of the TV while shouting, "Praise Aidios!" just before I play SC. No hesitations later.

Shouta

*looks outside* Are those pigs I see in the horizon?

Maybe I'll buy a few copies and hand them out to friends.

Sanpunkan

All of the games in this series are like that if you want to get absolutely everything. They all have hidden quests that you'll only ever uncover by talking to NPCs (aren't listed on the board), all have books to collect, etc. Although I think FC and SC are the worst about having to go to an extremely out of the way place to get a book or a hidden quest... though I can think of one particularly dumb case in Trails of Cold Steel.

I'm looking into jumping into FC now that SC is coming, but this bothers me because I can tend to be a neurotic completionist. If I know there's tons of missable things I'll use a guide and destroy any enjoyment I may have derived from playing.

That said, are these missable items a big deal? A better question is, would a first-timer be recommended to just play and enjoy, or play with a guide because that stuff is really important? I rarely give games more than a single play through, for what it's worth.

I am so damn ready for this. The game I've been most hyped for all year, coming in less than 24 hours. I'm bouncing in my seat as I type this!

I do need to do some more refreshing with the LP. At the minimum I need to reread the 100 day war book.

Nerokis

I won't get around to playing this for awhile, as I've yet to truly dive into FC, but I'll happily purchase it the moment it becomes available on Steam. After everything that's been said about the rough localization process, and with how long fans have had to wait, this release really feels like a triumph. :)

I should give FC a proper go now. I put in around 5 hours, decided to give XSEED some time to work out bugs and implement the Monster Book (lol, feels kind of ridiculous writing that), and then decided to wait even longer for more information about SC's release. It's time.

Finalow

ready for more Olivier than ever. it must have been fun and also a pain in the ass to translate him. :^

D28B64C2A7DC8843D9727D87635DA5A5B48DF30F

depending on character levels for your clear data, they will start the game at the following levels -

35 or lower - 35
36 to 39 - same level
40 or above - 40
wasn't Estelle the only one to join with those levels?
anyhow, I don't get it. I'm assuming I play as Estelle since the beginning or shortly after, so isn't she pretty much overpowered until the end of the game? Or maybe the game starts with monsters at level 40+ from the beginning as well? That would make much more sense actually.

ready for more Olivier than ever. it must have been fun and also a pain in the ass to translate him. :^

D28B64C2A7DC8843D9727D87635DA5A5B48DF30F

wasn't Estelle the only one to join with those levels?
anyhow, I don't get it. I'm assuming I play as Estelle since the beginning or shortly after, so isn't she pretty much overpowered until the end of the game? Or maybe the game starts with monsters at level 40+ from the beginning as well?

By the time the other characters join her, they will be well above 40.

Is there a spoiler free missables guide for this game? Because man, the amount of times I reloaded my save in FC thanks to the Carnelia series is unreal. During the second time through I actually missed the precise point where you have to redeem the books.

Apparently I suck with missable items and it'll plague me till the day I die lol.

krYlon

I'm looking into jumping into FC now that SC is coming, but this bothers me because I can tend to be a neurotic completionist. If I know there's tons of missable things I'll use a guide and destroy any enjoyment I may have derived from playing.

That said, are these missable items a big deal? A better question is, would a first-timer be recommended to just play and enjoy, or play with a guide because that stuff is really important? I rarely give games more than a single play through, for what it's worth.

I played without a guide and enjoyed it perfectly fine.
I missed a bunch of stuff but isn't that the nature of rpgs and non-linearity? It's your own experience and you're not necessarily supposed to 100% everything first time. I'd rather miss missables then play a game with a guide.

It might be different for you as you're a completionist but it's completely fine for a first time player to just relax, play in your own way, do your own thing and understand what's going on. It'll be your own experience.

The OT I have waited four years for.

I hope you guys enjoy. It's been a long, long, long road.

Sara, myself, and XSEED folks will be around to answer questions. Jess is traveling on the 29th (sadface!), so she might not hop in immediately.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yay!
Insta-wishlisted on Steam. Not sure when I'll buy it, 'cause of my current backlog, and the Bloodborne DLC coming out next month. It might have to be a Christmas gift, due to the timing, but I'm still pretty excited. More Olivier sounds awesome. xD

That's why I normally dislike design in JRPG which has too many time-limited missables.

Unless they're required for progression, I don't have a problem with it. I actually like the idea of games that make you go out of your way to achieve 100% completion; that should be something to have to work for rather than it always being something that's simple to achieve. If you don't want to make extra playthroughs or extra effort for 100%, then don't bother with it; you shouldn't feel required to complete every ounce of content a game has to offer if you don't enjoy doing so.

Olivier is one of my favorites haha. Gotta decide if I want it on PSP or PC, or both?

W6sk5W4.png

Pretty much.

This is how you indoctrinate them!

Or just deeply embarrass yourself.

"What? You're on your phone!"

I played FC a couple of resturant visits with coworkers, and it was one of the "Estelle and Josette hilariously insult each others' femininity" scenes, too so I was constantly snickering. Course, that was before the iphone barrage was at a fever pitch, but...

Unless they're required for progression, I don't have a problem with it. I actually like the idea of games that make you go out of your way to achieve 100% completion; that should be something to have to work for rather than it always being something that's simple to achieve. If you don't want to make extra playthroughs or extra effort for 100%, then don't bother with it; you shouldn't feel required to complete every ounce of content a game has to offer if you don't enjoy doing so.

Agreed. I like it when a 100% is hard earned, and not just something you get normally. It should feel like an accomplishment.

Been waiting for this to come out so I could finish my own playthrough of FC. Glad to see the day has finally come.
If i'm towards the start of Chapter 2 in FC, how many more hours do I have to go assuming I go for all the BP? I don't want to miss out on any of those save transfer bonuses.

My PSP is not ready yet... Going to charge the battery, clear the memory card (removing Brandish) and copying the save file of TitS:FC...

Is there a spoiler free missables guide for this game? Because man, the amount of times I reloaded my save in FC thanks to the Carnelia series is unreal. During the second time through I actually missed the precise point where you have to redeem the books.

Apparently I suck with missable items and it'll plague me till the day I die lol.

currently replaying FC. some guy just gave me one of those books. i was just thinking: no, i'm not doing this shit. keep your book.

Top Bottom