• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Azzawon

Guys, am I missing too much by not using companions? Are they useful with their stock equipment? Can't be bothered to manage their inventory.

Some of them are useful for their perks you receive at full affinity, but I mainly just use them so I can offload my junk and extra weapons so I don't get weighed down.

BizzyBum

Guys, am I missing too much by not using companions? Are they useful with their stock equipment? Can't be bothered to manage their inventory.

Not really. They can help with enemies since they are bullet sponges and you get quests/perks from them but I always prefer to venture off alone. That lone wanderer perk is too good and Dogmeat gets in the damn way all the time.

So with my two industrial purifiers, I get so much water that it has basically broken the game. I will never have to spend my caps again.

I have used caps once in the game to buy a unique chest from someone. Caps are kind of pointless otherwise so I wouldn't say you broke the game.

Machina

Banned

Yes, I would say you are. Companion interaction with what you're doing reminds me a lot of Mass Effect

The longer I use them, the less I want to. I wouldn't mind if the game had them use their "barks" about half as often, but if nothing else, it's really fucking annoying to have them constantly commenting on the shit I'm picking up.

Not really. They can help with enemies since they are bullet sponges and you get quests/perks from them but I always prefer to venture off alone. That lone wanderer perk is too good and Dogmeat gets in the damn way all the time.

I was thinking the same re: Lone Wanderer, but because I was using only Dogmeat until yesterday (decided to take a human companion for a spin) I don't actually know if there's any interesting story or mission stuff you miss out on by leaving all the companions at home.

Edit: oh wait you literally said quests/perks. Sigh. Well, time to babysit some companions, then.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
All I do with my Companions is use them as mules and I put up with them to get their Perks but once I'm done with all of them I'm switching to Lone Wanderer Perk.

Beefy

I have used caps once in the game to buy a unique chest from someone. Caps are kind of pointless otherwise so I wouldn't say you broke the game.

I was using caps all the time until I upgraded Scavenger and got the purifiers. So for me it's a big change.

Don't worry about inventory; their default weapons are sufficient and have unlimited ammo besides. You'll still be pulling the majority of the weight in combat but its nice to have them as a distraction. Plus I appreciate the company as I wander, and it's always nice to have a pack mule to lug particularly heavy but valuable loot.

Downsides are that they can get in the way and tend to pick fights you may have been trying to avoid. And some characters have repetitive voice acting.

Here There Be Monsters was a cool little thing. And of course I couldn't resist
putting the reactor in before the other piece and killing myself and the captain in a glorious nuclear detonation
just for kicks.

hydruxo

I use Lone Wanderer with Dogmeat (hoping that Bethesda doesn't patch this shit and mess up my carrying weight but I bet they will). He's not that useful for anything really other than unloading a few weapons or armor pieces when I need to.

Lmao, saw a super mutant launch a rocket at a Vertibird flying past attacking raiders, it comes crashing down and explodes on top of him + rest of the super mutants. I love this unscripted stuff.

So im at a point where i have a lottttt of faction quests.

does the game give any kind of warning if youre about to do one of them that will lock you out from the others?

does the game give any kind of warning if youre about to do one of them that will lock you out from the others?

It'll give you a definite warning screen when you're about to become enemies with
the Institute

It didn't do that for
the Railroad
, I accepted a quest from
the Brotherhood
and that auto-failed all the quests I had with the former faction.

dity

I use Lone Wanderer with Dogmeat (hoping that Bethesda doesn't patch this shit and mess up my carrying weight but I bet they will). He's not that useful for anything really other than unloading a few weapons or armor pieces when I need to.

I got the perk that allows Dogmeat to knock someone over for longer and it's super useful.

danowat

Banned

There was talk of a guide being done for showing the point of no return in each faction, not sure what happened with it though.

I am in love with the game but haven't moved past the museum town at the start because I got obsessed with building up my settlement and house.

I am past that in the quests
but I am so addicted to building.. I have am addiction problem to building my towns... sigh been spending 8-10hr days building
so need a real life, will stop for awhile, play something else lol
I have a concrete wall around most of starlight drive in
game suddenly would not let me build more blocks of concrete
fyi those are the foundation blocks for floors
whats nice its a wide wall and you can walk around your premise
and before u say it I know the glitch to be able to continue building and I am in the green so I should be able to build but cannot
my defense there is about 110
and I learned the hard way not to keep fusion cores in my power suits

have 5 suits including the X-01 and T60 T45 etc

I found the X-01 in the land of radiation

bottom left of map
south west on a road, there are other locations, but also found a X 60 not far from that, but not in the radiation zone

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I've been debating picking that up or not, but I wasn't sure how useful it was. I think I'll have to get it tonight and try it out.

Super useful. Two enemies running at you, you Vats one while dog meat pins the other one down.

Anytime you can automatically take an enemy out of the fight, even temporarily, it's going to mean the difference between life and death.

It'll give you a definite warning screen when you're about to become enemies with
the Institute

It didn't do that for
the Railroad
, I accepted a quest from
the Brotherhood
and that auto-failed all the quests I had with the former faction.

guess i should start saving before accepting anything

There was talk of a guide being done for showing the point of no return in each faction, not sure what happened with it though.

hope thats around somewhere

Beefy

According to the guide if you do these quests you fail the other factions:

Railroad: Underground Undercover
BoS: Outside the Wire
The Institute: The Battle for Bunker Hill

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I was showing my partner the Fallout 3 pedophile post and then realised:

Teemo
Banned

Whoops.
Damn, I hope Teemo didn't get banned for his Fallout posts. That shit's funny. It's a video game people.

Hasney

CUQntvfWsAENc7N.jpg

hbk-suck-it-ramp-o.gif

sappyday

Do I just add a lot of radio towers to my settlement if I want to get more settlers? Or do they just keep on coming one by one? Is there a cap? I just build Sanctuary into someplace that can compete with Diamond City but I only have like ten settlers.

Beefy

Do I just add a lot of radio towers to my settlement if I want to get more settlers? Or do they just keep on coming one by one? Is there a cap? I just build Sanctuary into someplace that can compete with Diamond City but I only have like ten settlers.

Cap is 10 plus your Charisma level. One radio tower is fine.

Markoman

All this game needs is a true immersion mode:
- still variable difficulty setting (damage dealt by enemies + enemy health) BUT
- no fast travel/ fast travel costing resources
- permadeth/ revival will cost 100 bottlecaps
- permadeth of companions / in case they go down, there will be a timer:
ONLY healing them will bring them back, if timer expires=permadeath
- not having a proper sleep-rythm will drastically lower your stats over time
- you need to drink and eat or else your stats go down and you ultimately die
- more RAD through radiation storms
- more frequent and more dangerous random attacks on settlements
- reduced/ modified inventory: you can only carry a realistic amount of weapons + armour
(healing items, food and junk may not be affected because this would break the game)

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
ok, so how many generators do i need to build at the minutemen castle to power the radio station? ive build 16(!) so far, energy is at 80, but it still seems not to be enough? Its still red. Im starting to wonder that i dont get something right there....
can someone enlighten me?

also:
oh no, i allready have him as my companion. but i have no fucking clue what i ahve to do to get the perk..
someone care to explain me how i can befriend mccready in order to get his perk?

Do companion perks stick permanently without them being around with you as a companion?

I want to get all the perks then revert to dogmeat if possible.

N° 2048

Fresh thread smell. ahh :)

When I assign a settler to a shop, how long does it take for him to sell things?

I assigned a settler to a Clothing Stand but he just stands there. Does it take time for him to become a trader?

Steejee

Just need one, but you need to have sufficient everything for them to expand. Go into your pipboy to the Data -> Settlements part and if there are <!> next to a stat in the settlement then you need to increase that stat.

Number of settlers is capped based on your charisma though

Beefy

ok, so how many generators do i need to build at the minutemen castle to power the radio station? ive build 16(!) so far, energy is at 80, but it still seems not to be enough? Its still red. Im starting to wonder that i dont get something right there....

Are you connecting it to the right part? There are two connectors on the station. One on the roofs side is for the light the other is actually on the console.

Markoman

also:

someone care to explain me how i can befriend mccready in order to get his perk?

Have you connected the radio station with one of the generators via cable?
My radio station runs with one 10energy-unit generator.

Is there an easier way to know when your settlement is under attack? I keep missing the messages--I'll fast travel then it'll say I failed to defend. Also, what happens if you fail to defend ?

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Are you connecting it to the right part? There are two connectors on the station. One on the roofs side is for the light the other is actually on the console.

wow.

that is all.
I had it connected to the top one and didnt see the other one..

alright, time to scrap half of my generator park again lol

also:

Do quests helping children, always push for more money, don't act morally superior, and just travel and do shit. His perk will break the game though.

Do companion perks stick permanently without them being around with you as a companion?

I want to get all the perks then revert to dogmeat if possible.

Yeah once you get it, you can ditch them.

also:

I built 3 but you have to link the generators up to each other then one generator actually hooks up to the radio

Markoman

How do you change the support-routes? I know you can walk up to one of them and re-assign them when they are inside the settlement-boundaries, but how do I know where he/she is going or where they are comming from???

Top Bottom