• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I like what I'm hearing about season 2.

While I really like season 1, the show was pretty damn slow, and the plot seem to not go anywhere for big chunks of the show, so much so that the ending almost felt like the middle of the season and not the end.

Alpende

I thought it was a decent enough finale. It sets up season 2 nicely with the war coming. Mr. World whispering creeps me out so I hope we get to see more of him and I'm sure we will. The Odin reveal was cool and Ostara getting covered with flower petals was visually amazing.

molnizzle

I'm confused about Bilquis. In the vignette they show her back in ancient Egypt (I think?) and they're acting as if it's the same god today in America. I thought the gods from the show are just the American versions of the original gods? Wouldn't American Bilquis have no memory of her original roots? Just seems weird to me.

Like even Wednesday said he had "never left the country" when asked by Shadow. I always assumed there were different versions of the gods in each region. Scandinavian Odin would probably still be doing alright, for example.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm confused about Bilquis. In the vignette they show her back in ancient Egypt (I think?) and they're acting as if it's the same god today in America. I thought the gods from the show are just the American versions of the original gods? Wouldn't American Bilquis have no memory of her original roots? Just seems weird to me.

Like even Wednesday said he had "never left the country" when asked by Shadow. I always assumed there were different versions of the gods in each region. Scandinavian Odin would probably still be doing alright, for example.

Haven't read the book but I imagine when new gods are created for new regions they sort of clone themselves. They're still connected in their common ancestory but this Bilquis is of a new American flavor.

Like, there was originally only one Jesus, but more were created as the need for more came about. I'm sure they all know the story of the crucifixion even without being the "original" Jesus.

If she still has believers in Ethiopia/Yemen there is probably still another version of her there.

jph139

The same is true of Mad Sweeney - I assume they're using the same actors out of simplicity/laziness/whatever. The new versions are unique entities but they would definitely have knowledge and memories of their roots. Like, the three sisters remember being rich and having servants back in the old country. At some point they splinter off and become unique entities.

You'll notice that Bilquis isn't flying to America alone, she's "hitching a ride" with the woman from the club in Iran.

molnizzle

If she still has believers in Ethiopia/Yemen there is probably still another version of her there.

It was just weird because they showed her literally flying on a plane to the U.S. Like it was the same god that just moved to a new continent. I would've thought there would be a copy (like you said) but they're acting like it's the same Bilquis.

You'll notice that Bilquis isn't flying to America alone, she's "hitching a ride" with the woman from the club in Iran.

ahhhh, I didn't catch that. I thought she was going alone.

zeemumu

Haven't read the book but I imagine when new gods are created for new regions they sort of clone themselves. They're still connected in their common ancestory but this Bilquis is of a new American flavor.

Like, there was originally only one Jesus, but more were created as the need for more came about. I'm sure they all know the story of the crucifixion even without being the "original" Jesus.

I think the idea is that some of the ones that we're seeing are actually the original gods, and that they just showed up in the new world after things went south in the old one. Gods only seem to clone themselves when a different interpretation is worshipped. Bilquis only ever seemed to have one interpretation so there's likely only one Bilquis, currently. They support that by showing that she changed and adapted with the times to stay on top of things before her followers all died of HIV, probably because of the whole "orgies every night" thing. Ibis' story explains how most of the old gods ended up in the new world

Dynomutt

I don't think that was explicitly implied as Egypt. It was just a old civilization. Bilquis represents the Queen of Sheba she has roots in Mesopotamia but I believe this version was based on the Ethiopian lore. Her story ranges from Israel to many East African nations.

As some have mentioned many of the old gods are still there because of "worship" whether a little or a lot many are the last vestiges of themselves liek Odin and Easter. Some have adapted like Vulcan. Some are entities of a wider brethren like Mad Sweeney and the Djinn where there are multiple "Leperchauns" or "Genies" but we happen to be focusing on these characters for stories sake. Some are newly embodied and were created out of our lust, passion, and yearn for things. Like Mr. World and Technical boy where literal god's came into existence and and lorded over the basis of that existence. Important that many may be psuedo-gods or demi-gods. They mention offspring for many character
s. Jesus is implied to be a "son" of a god and the same could possibly be said about Shadow.

Curious if we will meet Baron Samedi of any of the Loa. That could play in well with Anasi.

Moff

the whole different gods versions thing just doesn't make sense at all and I hope they never bring it up again

tirminyl

the whole different gods versions thing just doesn't make sense at all and I hope they never bring it up again

It makes perfect sense. You have that today with people proclaiming what their Jesus would and wouldn't do. What their God would and wouldn't do. Different versions of Gods in American Gods are only the realization of those beliefs that people hold and pray to.

Siegcram

The same is true of Mad Sweeney - I assume they're using the same actors out of simplicity/laziness/whatever. The new versions are unique entities but they would definitely have knowledge and memories of their roots. Like, the three sisters remember being rich and having servants back in the old country. At some point they splinter off and become unique entities.
Given people have problems recognizing deities that have been explicitly named, having their different versions played by different actors would probably melt minds.

dabig2

New Gods need to beef up. Can we get a god of nuclear and chemical warfare? Like have this nerdy looking scientist go around blowing up things randomly and giving people stage V cancer on the spot. And a god of pollution, have him be this sleezy Exxon corporate representative or the like. I'd also take a god of automation who is always surrounded by a bunch of robot bodyguards.

hydruxo

New Gods need to beef up. Can we get a god of nuclear and chemical warfare? Like have this nerdy looking scientist go around blowing up things randomly and giving people stage V cancer on the spot. And a god of pollution, have him be this sleezy Exxon corporate representative or the like. I'd also take a god of automation who is always surrounded by a bunch of robot bodyguards.

Yeah, I'm really hoping they expand on the New Gods in S2. Always felt like there was a lot of potential there in the book but Gaiman didn't expand on them as much.

New Gods, you say?
NewGods1cover_sml.jpg

I think of them instead as "modern gods."

Moff

I really don't understand your hangup on the multiple god thing.

I admit that Iam biased and generally don't like clone stories or anything that even comes close to clone stories, like this

It makes perfect sense. You have that today with people proclaiming what their Jesus would and wouldn't do. What their God would and wouldn't do. Different versions of Gods in American Gods are only the realization of those beliefs that people hold and pray to.

no that does not make sense, if that were true there would not be only regional different jesuses, there would be a billion different jesuses, it's just silly to make it dependant on region or whatever. it also doesn't make sense that media on the other hand is allowed to somehow represent (and get power from) all different kinds of media. why not just tv? and I mean every single brand and model of a tv. or a newspaper, again every single newspaper on the planet? who defined that? why is she all media and other gods need to share? is there a russian media? one for RT? it does not make sense. same for technoboy.
it makes even less sense that they offered odin a north korean satellite when that obviously would only have spawned a north korean odin that didn't benefit our beloved ian mcshane odin at all. unless of course there is some kind of worldwide odin guild who meetup every year and share common goals. no wait, that would be even dumber.

it's stupid, it doesn't make sense, I hate it. I hope they never bring it up again.

I'm not sure what's confusing about their being multiple Jesuses. There are multiple belief systems built around different ideas of Jesus. The Jesuses have a single name but many distinct conceptualizations.

There aren't a dozen Ostara pantheons or concepts. There aren't 50 legends of Vulcan. Some of the old gods are built around natural phenomena. Odin has many names but few distinct representations.

Kadayi

Banned

They actually show you Bilquis leaving Iran and coming to America because of the revolution in the 70s.

Certainly, some of the gods are manifestations, carried over by early immigrant settlers to the US, but other older ones like Bilquis are wanderers whose days of being actively worshipped are over.

KuroNeeko

I feel like the whole confrontation with the New Gods was a bit... shoehorned in. Like, it was mostly there to make this feel more like a finale. I get why Media would show up to court Easter since they'd have a special relationship, but Mr. World popping up here seemed like a bit much. The "big bad evil guy" shouldn't just be popping in to contribute his two cents... as much as I love seeing Crispin Glover.

I feel like he wasn't originally going to show up, but it's clear that the NGs are at least concerned about Wednesday's efforts to recruit the OGs. Media shows up to kind of check in on Easter to make sure that they're still in accord (especially with what happened to V) and finds that Wednesday is still there.

I think TB can't help but join in. Easter, like several other key characters, is a symbol--albeit a powerful one--that is still relevant to do this day. Which side she chooses IS of importance, and you can feel that they're still playing footsies right now with ideologies. Mr. World is ALWAYS watching and he arrives to speak as the voice of the NGs. I didn't feel like having them there was odd at all, or at least no less odd than having them present at the police station a few episodes back.

My biggest problem though was the fact that Easter can just decide to... turn off spring. For at least 500 square miles, since it hit from Kentucky to Wisconsin. Like, holy shit! If she has that kind of power living off of scraps, why would she have ANY skin in the game? What more can she gain? I think that's the only recurring problem I have with the new stuff they're adding... it gives a LOT of power to the gods, which introduces more than a handful of "why don't they just use their god powers to fix things?" plot holes.

In my opinion, it's not about power--it's about belief. That's why Eostre isn't satisfied with the arrangement. She spells it out clearly to Media, "I believe I'm being misrepresented." and she is. Eostre originally represented the vernal equinox and the coming of spring. She was ultimately usurped by early Christianity who, as they often did, assimilated the gods and holidays of other religions to make it easier for pagans to convert. Now, instead of representing rebirth and fertility / the beginning of Spring, people only pay respect to her because her day now coincides with the resurrection of Christ.

In the old days, out Wednesday outlines it, there was a pact / covenant between man and god--you treat your god well and they treat you well. People offered belief, prayer, sacrifice to their gods and, in Eostre's case, she offered them life, spring, and rebirth. The OGs today are barely hanging on basically living off the scraps of the remnants of those beliefs: a god of slaughter braining cows, a goddess of divination giving readings, two gods working in a funeral parlor. It's not like the "good ol' days". The only OGs that thrive now do so under a new modernized, veneer of representation--one that is dependent on technology.

That's is one of the big questions in American Gods. Just what do Americans believe? Who are our gods now? Have we thrown away the old gods only to kneel at the altars of Facebook, TV, Twitter, and technology?

That's just my take on it any way. It's not just about the power, it's about the belief--the connection between man and god, that Eostre wants. She wants to be worshipped for who she is / was, not what she has been made to be.

But in the end I enjoyed the first season and am looking forward to the next. Even if it all felt like prologue, really... I mean, that scene where Wednesday recites his names and titles? Gave me chills. REALLY looking forward to the House on the Rock now!

Essentially, the scene with Easter in the book goes - Shadow and Wednesday show up, he makes his pitch (same general thing, where she says she's doing fine, but he says they're saying her name but aren't actually talking about her). She's non-committal but more or less agrees to join up with him. They leave.

Everything else around there (her with Laura, her with Jesus, her with the New Gods, the whole "stealing spring" plot point) is completely new. And this is the second face-to-face confrontation with the New Gods, something that hasn't happened at all at this point in the book.

It thought it was very explicit that the gods in America are the originals. Both in this show and in the book (which I admittedly haven’t read in several years)

Nikodemos

The way the New Gods have been depicted in the series makes me feel like they're parasitic, in a way. Instead of demanding conscious devotion (and offering boons for it) they merely extract slivers of unconscious belief from the masses, providing very little apart from a sort of psychological numbing effect in return. "Existential crisis aversion" as Wotan puts it. Moreover, the deals they offer Old Gods are parasitic as well. Bilquis preys on single wo/men via technology, Vulcan is instated as the CEO of a munitions company (technology promoted via media) and Eostre's nearly-hollowed-out symbols are latched onto another belief and disseminated via media (or Media, if you will).

Bold One

Amazing show - I found it difficult to really grasp what was happening until 5 episodes in, but I was intrigued all through out.

The acting is very good and the visuals are insane - this show is the most cerebral thing I have ever seen put on television - I fucking love it.

It plays with so many themes though, I really struggle to keep up - I see a lot of people don't like the Laura character - I think I understand why she is there - she might be the representation of apathy.

I do like Wednesday's reveal - I clocked on just before he says who he really is.

Shout to McShane, Browning and the cast of the cast - Gillian is just wow....how is she getting hotter with age?

I want them to give Bilqis more to work with than just banging people - sending people to the vagina nebula is cool the first couple oof times, but yeah- that will get old.

Easter's flirtatious 'come hither' eyes ....wow...

Overall, great show - only downside being that its only 8 episodes.

besada

Banned
it's stupid, it doesn't make sense, I hate it. I hope they never bring it up again.

You're going to be deeply disappointed then.

It thought it was very explicit that the gods in America are the originals. Both in this show and in the book (which I admittedly haven’t read in several years)

Nope.
The book makes this explicitly clear at the end, when Shadow meets the Scandinavian version of Wednesday.

Bold One

Are the gods symbolism for aging celebrities struggling to remain relevant through rebranding to adapt to the times?

I think they are symbolism for actual religions and belief systems

As a species, we've gone from worshiping deities to worshipping material things and to a larger extent ourselves.

Apt101

Possible major spoilers for non-book readers, so if you're show only just avoid my post -
some space for mobile readers -

You know, after reading the book I thought Shadow was an aspect of
Thor
. But after reading a bit more about
Norse mythological figures
in a book I have, I think he's an aspect of
Baldur
, god of light and goodness. The billowy aura that Laura sees and is attracted to kind of gives it away, as
Baldur is usually depicted with a halo like Jesu
s.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Possible major spoilers for non-book readers, so if you're show only just avoid my post -
some space for mobile readers -

You know, after reading the book I thought Shadow was an aspect of
Thor
. But after reading a bit more about
Norse mythological figures
in a book I have, I think he's an aspect of Baldur, god of light and goodness. The billowy aura that Laura sees and is attracted to kind of gives it away, as
Baldur is usually depicted with a halo like Jesu
s.
Read Monarch of the Glen.

Clov

So I really enjoyed the first season of the show, and now I want to read the book. Is the newest mass market paperback edition the same as the author's preferred text?

So I really enjoyed the first season of the show, and now I want to read the book. Is the newest mass market paperback edition the same as the author's preferred text?

I'm in the same boat. Sooooo tempted to read the book, but afraid I'll ruin my enjoyment of the TV show. Maybe I can just read his Norse Gods book to tide me over. That and Tad Williams has another Osten Ard book coming out next week. Still, what do book readers think, has it affected (positively or negatively) your enjoyment of the TV show?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Still, what do book readers think, has it affected (positively or negatively) your enjoyment of the TV show?

No negative impact for me. There has been so much original content and moments that are more fleshed out in the show, that it might be one of the few cases where you won't be constantly comparing the book to the show in your head. I never sat down to watch an episode and knew what to expect. There are a few key moments I want to see done in live action, but I think the show has done enough of its own thing to justify existing.

The only thing I've really gotten from reading the book beforehand is context. So when the show starts getting wrapped up in itself, I know that it is (eventually) going somewhere.

dabig2

This queen... she kept the party goin'
http://i.imgur.com/gNo2yRM.gif[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/MJAOoPF.gif[img]
In my veins.

I need the OST on constant loop.[/QUOTE]

Literal god-queen. I'd worship her as well.

Anyone got a gif of the transition from the moon to her hair? Was one of my favorites of the season.

dabig2

I have these:
http://i.imgur.com/UM35xhz.gif[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/g3WEiyX.gif[img]

The whole disco scene was amazing. The OST as well.[/QUOTE]

In the words of the great .gif cinema god of Neogaf, Michael Fassbender, "Fantastic".

[quote="Nikodemos, post: 241493034"]The way the New Gods have been depicted in the series makes me feel like they're parasitic, in a way. Instead of demanding conscious devotion (and offering boons for it) they merely extract slivers of unconscious belief from the masses, providing very little apart from a sort of psychological numbing effect in return. "Existential crisis aversion" as Wotan puts it. Moreover, the deals they offer Old Gods are parasitic as well. Bilquis preys on single wo/men via technology, Vulcan is instated as the CEO of a munitions company (technology promoted via media) and Eostre's nearly-hollowed-out symbols are latched onto another belief and disseminated via media (or Media, if you will).[/QUOTE]

Make no mistake, you're absolutely right that the new gods are parasitic, but so are the old gods. They're all born from human consciousness. But the old gods would still have you sucking at your mom's teat from birth to death at the age of 100. Like picture yourself age 100 still sucking on your mom's tit for sustenance lest you die. New gods aren't like that, not really at least. You might still be sucking, but they're in the background and your mom is invisible. Dead and gone but fondly remembered because she instilled in you self sufficience - at least I hope so.

New gods are representative of man's progress, their ability to achieve past their limits. They derive from that feeling of achievement and flashing of light in the darkness and yes, they feed off it and grow strong from every step mankind takes into the light to destroy the unknown. But I consider that wholly preferable to what the old gods desire of you. Stuck in the dark, fumbling around, just to suck on your mom's tit or else you and everyone you know dies because that's all there is to the world:

your mom's tit.

Wait...
People are actually treating the Wednesday reveal as something big and surprising? I mean, it was pretty fucking clear it was Odin from the get go (him being called Wednesday) or at least since episode 2 (Chernabog calling him Wotan). When the reveal was done, I literally thought "Wow. Why go to all that drama to state what we already know?"

Alpende

Wait...
People are actually treating the Wednesday reveal as something big and surprising? I mean, it was pretty fucking clear it was Odin from the get go (him being called Wednesday) or at least since episode 2 (Chernabog calling him Wotan). When the reveal was done, I literally thought "Wow. Why go to all that drama to state what we already know?"

Not everyone knows mythology that well. I had no idea Wotan and Wednesday were other names for Odin.

Wait...

I didn't understand the problem, either..

Top Bottom