• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

deleted

I could use some help with Firefox.
For the last few years, I mostly used Firebug to check a bit of html code on websites. Mostly nbsp's and shy's - but with it's latest iteration, Firebug removed the html panel to activate the 'show entities as names' setting.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good add-on that enables this simple thing, or knows where Firebug buried it? Some extensive googling didn't seem to help. Either I'm missing something really simple here, or no one else used this function in firebug.

PGamer

fucking juniors
I could use some help with Firefox.
For the last few years, I mostly used Firebug to check a bit of html code on websites. Mostly nbsp's and shy's - but with it's latest iteration, Firebug removed the html panel to activate the 'show entities as names' setting.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good add-on that enables this simple thing, or knows where Firebug buried it? Some extensive googling didn't seem to help. Either I'm missing something really simple here, or no one else used this function in firebug.

Not sure if you saw the news about it but the Firebug add-on is being discontinued in favour of Firefox DevTools. You might want to take a look there.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Firefox 52.0 is out today. There are some pretty major changes in this version. NPAPI plugin support aside from Flash has been dropped (so no more Java, Silverlight, Acrobat, etc.), this is the last version of Firefox to support Windows XP and Vista, and Firefox 52 is now the first browser stable release to support the new WebAssembly standard.

Release notes: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/52.0/releasenotes/

Is it just me or are other people experiencing some lag/freezing when using the customize option? Happens in Arch, Ubuntu and Windows 10 for me. The problems exists in the new update as well. Not sure how long it has persisted but at least a few updates ago it was perfectly fine.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Is it just me or are other people experiencing some lag/freezing when using the customize option? Happens in Arch, Ubuntu and Windows 10 for me. The problems exists in the new update as well. Not sure how long it has persisted but at least a few updates ago it was perfectly fine.

Are you doing something specific to encounter the freezing? I just tested it out and it seems to be working fine in Windows 10 for me. Maybe an add-on is causing a problem?

Are you doing something specific to encounter the freezing? I just tested it out and it seems to be working fine in Windows 10 for me. Maybe an add-on is causing a problem?

Just ublock origins, stylrrr, and sometimes noscript.

I'll test it without them.

EDIT: Testing revealed Stylrrr to be the problem.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
mine just freezes after some time has passed, even with no scripts opened

though it seems to be caused by many tabs being opened

I had similar freezing issues last week. Then I discovered that I somehow was using the 32-bit version. I haven't had any issues since switching back to 64-bit.

Boss Doggie

I had similar freezing issues last week. Then I discovered that I somehow was using the 32-bit version. I haven't had any issues since switching back to 64-bit.

huh I also noticed that

I was pretty sure I downloaded 64-bit originally but apparently the update changed it

I don't think a Firefox update can spontaneously change from 32-bit to 64-bit. I'm pretty sure both versions can be installed on the same computer, actually.

Firefox v53 has launched.

Today's Firefox release makes Firefox faster and more stable with a separate process for graphics compositing (the Quantum Compositor). Compact themes and tabs save screen real estate, and the redesigned permissions notification improves usability. Learn more on the Mozilla Blog.

We'd also like to extend a special thank you to all of the new Mozillians who contributed to this release of Firefox!

NEW

Improved graphics stability for Windows users with the addition of compositor process separation (Quantum Compositor)

Two new 'compact' themes available in Firefox, dark and light, based on the Firefox Developer Edition theme

Lightweight themes are now applied in private browsing windows

Reader Mode now displays estimated reading time for the page

Windows 7+ users on 64-bit OS can select 32-bit or 64-bit versions in the stub installer

FIXED

Various security fixes

CHANGED

Updated the design of site permission requests to make them harder to miss and easier to understand

Windows XP and Vista are no longer supported. XP and Vista users running Firefox 52 will continue to receive security updates on Firefox ESR 52.

32-bit Mac OS X is no longer supported. 32-bit Mac OS X users can switch to Firefox ESR 52 to continue receiving security updates.

Updates for Mac OS X are smaller in size compared to updates for Firefox 52

New visual design for audio and video controls

Ended Firefox Linux support for processors older than Pentium 4 and AMD Opteron

The last few characters of shortened tab titles fade out instead of being replaced by ellipses to keep more of the title visible

DEVELOPER

Changes for web developers

Support for WebM video with alpha, which allows playing videos with transparent backgrounds

Faddy

Banned
Are Firefox developers really this dumb.

The "Compact" theme takes up more vertical space than the Default theme.

SMDH

Back to Classic Theme Restorer. Good job Mozilla, you played yourself.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Are Firefox developers really this dumb.

The "Compact" theme takes up more vertical space than the Default theme.

SMDH

Back to Classic Theme Restorer. Good job Mozilla, you played yourself.

The compact theme uses slightly less vertical space than the default theme for me (Win10).

Mr_Zombie

The compact theme uses slightly less vertical space than the default theme for me (Win10).

Same here. The top bar in the compact theme is slightly shorter, mainly due to making the back button smaller and thus having less padding around the awesome bar. However, I dislike the rectangle back button and tabs, so I'm still on the Default Theme.

Faddy

Banned

For me on Windows 10 the back button is larger in Compact than default. (laptop with 1366x768 screen) Both take up more space than Classic Theme.

A cynic might also say that the default theme rips off Chrome and the compact theme rips off Edge.

Mr_Zombie

A cynic might also say that the default theme rips off Chrome and the compact theme rips off Edge.

9BTTJvP.png

Yeah... no. Maybe if you close your eyes Chrome and Firefox Default Theme look similar, but aside from the hamburger menu on the right side and standard browser elements (tabs, back button, url bar, star for bookmarks), there's very little similarity between the two. Yes, there was a time that Firefox was inspired by Chrome's minimalism, but Mozilla still did the UI their own way.

Faddy

Banned
9BTTJvP.png

Yeah... no. Maybe if you close your eyes Chrome and Firefox Default Theme look similar, but aside from the hamburger menu on the right side and standard browser elements (tabs, back button, url bar, star for bookmarks), there's very little similarity between the two. Yes, there was a time that Firefox was inspired by Chrome's minimalism, but Mozilla still did the UI their own way.

Let's not go over 4 year old arguments. Australis UI (now called Default) on release was called a Chrome clone for implementing several UI choices that mimicked Google Chrome and was a large departure from the previous UI.

It was also so disliked that Classic Theme Restorer quickly became a top add-on to restore Firefox's look and feel.

---

I have another UI altering add-on that is causing Compact to be not so on my system. "Hide Caption Title Bar Plus". So Compact is probably more compact than default but could be better.

Quantum Compositor - is this something that is disabled by some addons ?

wanted to switch everything to the Webex format but simply cant and for at least one of the addons i dont like its new decreased functionality but yet the old one is depreciated so what choice do i have ....

Quantum Compositor - is this something that is disabled by some addons ?

wanted to switch everything to the Webex format but simply cant and for at least one of the addons i dont like its new decreased functionality but yet the old one is depreciated so what choice do i have ....

Dunno about Quantum Compositor but some addons do disable multi-process support. If you type about:support in the address bar you can see if your Firefox window(s) is(are) multi-process.

just did before

yea its all one in the same - can anyone advise on the web EX equivalent of these - some are no longer updated ? there are some unlisted that i haven't reinstalled

- ChatZilla
- Chrome Store Foxified
- Download Manager Tweak
- Flashblock
- FlashGot
- FxIF
- Password Exporter
- restartFox
- Save File to
- Secure Login ( not sure i like the new version)
- The Addon Bar (restored) - i would use this but every update seems to break somtihng
- uBlock Origin
- uMatrix (Disabled) - tried it and didnt relly like it
- X-notifier

would be Nice to be able to use mutli process

i recall a time were it didn't matter what addons i used

dont suppose anyone can recommend a good free proxy addon ?

This is the fastest version of Firefox I've ever used. I had been FF53 on my work computer since about last month, so I'm glad to see these gains on my home system.
I was a bit mixed on the new compact theme, but I like the compact light theme. The default blue color for the selected tab was too distracting, so I guess I'm still keeping Classic Theme Restorer for now to set the tab color to white. But now the problem is the loading animation is white and gets lost on the white tabs and the add-on's graphic options aren't as great. Oh well.

What happens when Firefox 57 comes out? No more UI customization?

Coreda

You can always just use a different theme if an update messes with something you like. I've been using the same theme from v24-ish to v54 (though I'm using the Developer version which allows for bypassing version checks/restrictions).

What happens when Firefox 57 comes out? No more UI customization?

XUL support will be dropped completely in favor of WebExtensions, which are compatible with Chromium, and multi-process mode enabled by default. It will break nearly everything I've come to use. Out of nearly 60 used addons in my profile a mere two are ready for the switch. Generally though there will still be some customization.

A ton of the addon catalog will never be updated since devs only made something for a specific purpose and then moved on. Some have written posts stating they can't migrate, while some are only now starting the transition (uBlock Origin for example is migrating to a hybrid currently to be ready). Many addons won't be able to make the switch to WebExtensions due to now having a limited API to work with (previously addon makers could do anything they wished to Firefox, which led to all the useful addons available, at the potential risk of security and performance).

The developer of NoScript and several others suggested an interim workaround where (IIRC) an addon could be installed by users to support new experimental APIs for addon authors to use post-switch, so they can add some non-official functionality, but that was officially labeled 'wontfix' in the issue tracker so apparently that won't be happening. I've also read complaints that new API feature requests have similarly been closed without good reason despite Mozilla publicly asking devs to tell them what they need for the switch, so...

My plan is to grab v56 and use that until I see how what comes of FF.

Yeah I was thinking: is this a placebo effect or did FF just get super fast? Definitely a good update, speeding through gaf.

Oh so I wasn't imagining it. Pages are loading so fast for me too after this update. Something definitely changed. I've never noticed a speed increase in any update of Firefox until this one

Silver linings to the web extensions migration is that Firefox will finally get addons that either weren't available before or not as well supported as their web extensions counterpart. I'm personally looking forward to the definitive feature set of enhanced steam and being able to use Authy and Signal with Firefox. Shitty that the latter two aren't just full blown stand alone programs but I'll take using them with Firefox over Chrome.

Boss Doggie

Welp. Something happened.

Firefox is killed in my side. Some bug happened, and it wouldn't start anymore. Restarted, etc. It just won't start up without crashing. Even with totally removed profiles.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've been getting this on some gifs/vids in FF lately

ezltT1v.png

Compared to Chrome and it works fine there, so def. a FF issue.

TsuXna

I feel like the latest update has fucked up everything for me. It works so slow sometimes especially when i go on Twitch.

Top Bottom