• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master of None starring Aziz Ansari - Netflix Series - S1 out now; S2 coming in 2017

Armadilo

Banned
kcgBdsR.jpg

Master of None Trailer
Out November 6

Master of None Metacritic 91

Hollywood Reporter-
A surprisingly creative, funny and sweet breakout for Aziz Ansari as he creates his own series for Netflix and busts out of the character actor limitations of the past, delivering a real gem.

Entertainment Weekly-
Another entry in the burgeoning genre of indie TV comedy that spans from Portlandia to Broad City, Master of None recalls the personal auteur nerve and New York City grit of Louis C.K.’s Louie and the ribald relationship comedy of You’re the Worst and the surprising wisdom both can generate—yet it possesses a refreshingly sweeter spirit than either of them.

Deadline Hollywood video Review-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aYp9aFcJKU

Aziz-Ansari-Master-None-TV-Show-Details.gif

3y4bsZh.jpg

I'm loving the trend to give comedians their own shows to create and mold into something great instead of resigning themselves to being bit characters on sitcoms. Hopefully, the Maria Bamford show coming next year is just as great as this.

I don't know anything about OT's I don't even know what OT stands for , only know that its like the main thread of that topic..

What do OT's have ?

Actors and Pictures ?
It's just the official thread. People will use it to discuss the show once it airs. You don't really need to do much unless you're feeling ambitious.

Armadilo

Banned
It's just the official thread. People will use it to discuss the show once it airs. You don't really need to do much unless you're feeling ambitious.

more Pictures it is then ....

Ok after that new picture, this actually looks like an OT, looks alright, not bad. My first OT

eroze

Neo Member
I've been seeing a ton of advertisements for this show on my daily commute's subway trains.

Always liked Aziz!

- Maureen Ryan's review
The building blocks of “Master of None” are not unusual: In the Netflix comedy, “Parks and Recreation” actor and standup comic Aziz Ansari plays Dev, a single guy in New York City whose intermittent acting gigs leave him a lot of time to hang out with his friends in cool bars and coffee shops. But the similarities to the show that featured the Central Perk gang — not to mention the dozens of sitcoms that aped “Friends” over the years —are passing at best. Ansari and co-creator Alan Yang have ambitious plans for that sturdy premise, and they use it to smartly investigate matters of love and romance in the age of apps, as Ansari did in the recent book he co-authored, “Modern Romance.” Even more impressive than the relationship stories are “Master’s” adroit examinations of matters of gender and race, which are used as fodder for a bracing blend of nimble comedy and knowing cultural commentary. It’s as if an earnest op-ed piece came to vivid life in an effort to make the viewer laugh out loud — and succeeded in the attempt.

- Onion A|V Club review: Aziz Ansari announces himself as a powerful comedic voice in Master Of None
While Master Of None was co-created and cowritten by Ansari and Parks And Recreation writer Alan Yang, it’s Ansari that is the face of the show. Ansari and Yang use their freedom wisely, creating a show that is both funny and sweet, but more importantly has a point of view and a voice that is singular to its creator, even if in this case it’s creators.

Grade: A-

Jeels

Happy to see it's getting good reviews, will def check this out as I am a fan of Ansari's (south asians represent!) and Parks and Rec.

Wow, I never heard of this until this thread. We just finished Parks and Rec S6 on Netflix last night and we were wondering what to watch next. Awesome, I guess this is the answer.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I would like some of this, please.

Bladenic

I didn't even know this existed until the trailer (oops) but I like Aziz and the reviews are great and the comparisons to Louie definitely peak interest even more. Plus Netflix has a great track record so I'm all in.

- Sepinwall's review: Aziz Ansari is a 'Master of None' in fantastic new Netflix comedy
This is a great show, which you might expect given the number of "Parks" veterans involved (including Mike Schur in a godfather capacity as one of the executive producers), but which still feels surprising given the show's clever structure and eagerness to embrace other perspectives. So many of the best shows of the modern era involve characters (whether in showbiz or not) who are pathologically incapable of understanding or even imagining a worldview other than their own. But as thrilling as it can be to watch a series with that kind of commitment and focus, Ansari and Yang show just how much excitement, laughter, and pathos can come from watching a man learn to think about others first.

- Rogerebert.com review: Aziz Ansari Goes to Another Level With "Master of None"
Even though I was a fan of “Parks and Recreation” and Ansari’s work on it, “Master of None” shocked me. I expected a light diversion, something occasionally as funny and witty as its creator can be, and I suspected that Ponsoldt’s involvement hinted at something better than average. To say it exceeds expectations is an understatement. Yes, this year of Peak TV continues. And this is one of its best shows.

- Boston Globe review:
On Friday, Netflix is releasing the first 10-episode season of Ansari’s show, and it falls squarely into this naturalistic, single-camera category. And it is a vibrant, original pleasure. Called “Master of None,” it’s not as revelatory and enigmatic as “Louie,” nor is it filmed with the same kind of auteur’s control and vision. But it’s the faceted story of a life in New York — that of Ansari’s 30-year-old Dev, the struggling actor son of Indian immigrants — and it is intelligent, observant, wise, and moving. Like “Louie,” it also benefits from the non-network license to explore the downbeat, to be moody and unpredictable and to be sexually frank.

- NY Mag review:
But if Master of None isn't perfect, it's awfully damn close. Along with recent shows like Catastrophe, Transparent, and Broad City, Master feels like the point of contemporary half-hour narrative television. They're shows with something to say, with characters and stories that are otherwise either ignored completely or maligned and misunderstood. There's an emotional vividness to the shows, a kind of electricity that requires the audience's empathy to complete the circuit. Each show has its unique voice and drive, an idea that's theirs. This is what TV can be! How exciting.

- NY Times review:
“Master of None,” the year’s best comedy straight out of the gate, is a lot of things. It’s an adorable but mature rom-com. It’s an idea-packed bulletin on technology and social mores. It’s a showbiz satire. It’s a casually multicultural, multiracial comedy that’s also acutely conscious of how identity still matters.

Top Bottom