• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

I still honestly can't believe they are keeping armor abilities..
Jetpack, camo, and hologram are all so stupid.
Sigh... everything else I can deal with. Armor abilities though..?

Trey

*later that night, lag, out-bloomed, evade in objective game-type, get shit on by armor-lock heroes, most of other team quit on BTB Slayer so it's 12 minutes of riding around in the Mongoose, 4 ugly Forge Variants in a row, get random on team that goes -20, Tashi Ceiling*

"...fuck this game, never again"

*rinse and repeat next week, get on bro lets dong some bks/fat inheritors in arena, my nig*

There are people who get shit on by armor lock heroes?

Hyperbole.

This thread.

Delivers it.
I know Frankie said he was ready for the backlash, but I gotta wonder how disappointed he is in some of the responses here. I'm apprehensive about some of the changes, but to proclaim so vehemently that everything is ruined is beyond ridiculous. I think it's important to take note of who this information is being filtered through; gaming "journalists".

I'll wait for the horses to open their mouths before I go batshit crazy, thankyouverymuch.

HaloGAF fries, Now with more salt.

Im pumped from pretty much every bit of info so far, random weapon drops are going to be .. different but id imagine that its a gametype option and would be easily disabled for MM purposes (as with the loadouts)

I dont even want to visit the MLG forums because i know right now what they are going to be like, Its all redudant anyway if Halo 4 ships with custom game options that mirror reaches they will be able to make any gametypes they want.

All this talk about "Halo is dead" and "Im never playing Halo 4 MP, Preorder Cancelled. 343 killed halo" is incredibly childish, EVERYTHING mentioned that has caused a negative reaction thus far has a strong possibility of being a toggle option. Given a similar feature set to that of Halo Reach in terms of custom games we should be able to disable loadout's set spawn weapons, disable random power weapon spawns ect.

Loadouts can be a perfect addition to halo if done right, im excited to see how they turn out. Same with respec'd AA's

Its really disappointing how vague the details are when compared to past GI cover stories. Halo Reach's cover story went into immense detail about the engine, AI, and other new features, giving us a strong sense of these features. The GI article reads like an outline with a lot of fluff, which is weird because I feel they were given a lot more info than that.

Weapons?
Grenades?
AA? (did they see them in action?)
Assassinations?

There also seemed to be a distinct lack of direct quotes or context for the new features. Its a nice article, but I expected a little less fluff. I assume they were limited by space in the magazine, but I still feel like it could have been managed better. Overall, I feel like this article should have been revealed last year rather than this late. Ah well.

No one talking about the holodeck on the infinity that recreates the battlefields. This could be huge for Forge...

Very interesting concept.

Im not expecting anything from Forge one way or another. I am sure it will be in, I am sure it will be better, but beyond that, who knows. Still, all the Infinity stuff sounds really awesome. I am still frothing for more details on Spartan OPs.

Has anyone commented on the icon and meter above the motion tracker in the image with the DMR? It looks to me like it could be either a new armor ability or a power weapon respawn timer.

Yup, if I had to guess it was the AA. Which makes me think, will we switch between Sprint and our AA with the B button? Also, are there what looks like a total of 4 grenade types in the upper left? I must say, I love the HUD in the SP screenshots. =)

Also, is it me or do Grunts look very frog like now?

That would be freaking awesome!

You think they would replace the Halo announcer guy? It's a reboot after all and they switched up from Marty to a new sound, and we're suppose to buy this is all training, perhaps with can go with some sexy female voice like they do in the movies.

"Game Over" = "Simulation Over", and all that jazz. If "Infinity" is such a huge part of the game, they should go all out with the presentation that this is all a gigantic training academy of sorts.

Shadders

I could be wrong but I don't remember Bungie having to deal with a total shitstorm due to a magazine release. I guess this is a bigger departure than previous games (which isn't what the majority of us wanted to hear.) Regardless this seems to have been pretty poorly planned as others have said.

Bungie had built up a monumental amount of goodwill from the community by consistently delivering top games, people did question the armour abilities and Loadouts when they were announced, but decided to give them the benefit of the doubt, because it was Bungie. <3

343 just don't have that goodwill in the bank yet so people are bound to be more critical, and it'll only get worse for them if they don't deliver an amazing game. They know this is the case, which is why I'm surprised they've decided to take it in this direction.

You have to admire their balls, I guess.

HaloGAF fries, Now with more salt.

I dont even want to visit the MLG forums because i know right now what they are going to be like, Its all redudant anyway if Halo 4 ships with custom game options that mirror reaches they will be able to make any gametypes they want.

All this talk about "Halo is dead" and "Im never playing Halo 4 MP, Preorder Cancelled. 343 killed halo" is incredibly childish, EVERYTHING mentioned that has caused a negative reaction thus far has a strong possibility of being a toggle option. Given a similar feature set to that of Halo Reach in terms of custom games we should be able to disable loadout's set spawn weapons, disable random power weapon spawns ect.

Loadouts can be a perfect addition to halo if done right, im excited to see how they turn out. Same with respec'd AA's

You dont understand that a game that is completely different out of the box from what becomes MLG settings hurts the community. Reach MLG and what the majority of the reach population plays is a problem for us because what the MLG community plays is so different from anything else in reach matchmaking. It is extremely difficult for new players to adventure into a competitive setting and its slowly killing competitive halo.

feel

I'm really digging the new armoured gloves. They look really cool.

Can't wait to get all of that media officially on the internet so we can post it in the thread while talking about it.

So all the multiplayer maps are like, Danger Room simulations? I want to see the maps boot up on start-up
That would be hot if done well.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Shawn is the Editor in Chief of GamesFirst! and has been with the site since 1998. He is currently occupied as a Web Technologist for PBS TeacherLine. Shawn also recently served as an adjunct lecturer in the Department of Media Study, SUNY at Buffalo, where he teaches courses ranging from new media design to critical approaches to videogames.

Shawn said:
Halo 2

Due Q1 2004 for Xbox.

We don't know much so far, but what we do know is that HALO 2 has been confirmed for a 2003 release. The game will put you (and your closest friend) back into the role of Master Chief, and gameplay is supposed to be along the same lines as HALO: Combat Evolved. That is, along the same lines, but much, much bigger. Battles should be huge, and the arsenal at your disposal is said to be much larger.
HALO 2 will definitely support online multiplayer via the Xbox LIVE network (set to launch November 15, 2002). In addition to the standard modes of HALO multiplayer we've grown to love, there will be some new modes that take advantage of a much larger online multiplayer environment. Imagine battles like we saw in HALO except where every marine, alien, and Master Chief is controlled by a real, live person.

Expect squad-based tactics to take center stage again, and if these screens are any indication, it looks like we'll be treated to another milestone in graphical quality. We'll update this preview as more information becomes available.

This. Is. Real.

blamite

I'm gonna take a guess at a possible control scheme (I use Recon in Reach so it's based on that):

A: Jump
B: Melee
X: Pick up/get in/use
Y: Switch primary/secondary weapon
Left Bumper: Sprint
Right Bumper: Armor Ability
D-Pad: Choose grenade type
Left Analog: Move/click to crouch
Right Analog: Move/click to zoom
Left Trigger: Grenade
Right trigger: Fire weapon

This should cover everything, right? I don't think there'a any problem with AAs ont he right bumper, even with the jetpack, you could still move, aim and fire while holding that bumper.

kylej

Banned

ace-ace-ventura-6606326-367-305.gif

barth

Neo Member
You dont understand that a game that is completely different out of the box from what becomes MLG settings hurts the community. Reach MLG and what the majority of the reach population plays is a problem for us because what the MLG community plays is so different from anything else in reach matchmaking. It is extremely difficult for new players to adventure into a competitive setting and its slowly killing competitive halo.

You nailed it my dear sir.

IGN now has an article on the leak. So much for dat damage control.

Also seems like the internets have gone from "90% F U 343 U RUIN OUR GAME 10% We trust you! to 70% FU 343 U RUIN OUR GAME 30% We trust you!" since last night

You dont understand that a game that is completely different from what becomes MLG settings hurts us. Reach MLG and what the majority of the reach population plays is a problem for us because what we play is so different from anything else in reach matchmaking. It is extremely difficult for new players to adventure into a competitive setting.

Its been difficult since halo 2 its not about the base game . Adaptation is not a problem if people want to be MLG/Competitive or pro gamers they will make that adjustment.

If halo remained like Halo 2 it would be a stagnant franchise by now it has to evolve or why else would people be invested in a sequel, Its pretty evident with Call of Duty at the moment people will get incredibly bored of the Same ol Same ol, It may not be evident in sales but it is in the voice of the players "MW3 is exactly like Blops" and its not a new notion its been floating around since MW2.

However change for the sake of change is not what im talking about, Reach changed and people didnt like the additions, some went back to H3 others waited the time out on H:R but people are begging for Halo 4 at this point and it could be the most successful title yet.

Gears 3 from the ground up catered to the MLG community and i dont see alot of attention coming because of that.

MLG need to adapt to the game they are given not the other way around, its arrogant to believe a dev should make a game for them instead of the mass audience and frankly they should be pleased the custom options allow them to make the game like the All mighty and perfectly balanced Game they NEVER had. Its seems the efforts from Halo 3 onward by the MLG crowd has been to make the game as much like H2 as possible.

At the end of the day we can do nothing but wait, yet the amount of Doomsayers and pessimistic comments so far is nothing short of hilarious, coming from people who have opinions based on zero hands on experience.

Firmly in the "wait and see but shit looks promising" camp

IGN is wishing it was the year 1999 and they still held some relevance on the internet beyond being a running washed up joke.

Fixed

EVERYTHING mentioned that has caused a negative reaction thus far has a strong possibility of being a toggle option. Given a similar feature set to that of Halo Reach in terms of custom games we should be able to disable loadout's set spawn weapons, disable random power weapon spawns ect.

People don't want to have to salvage the game through custom options. They want to be able to sign in, and hop into a playlist that has good default settings. (Not referring to anything specific in Halo 4, just stating as a general concept.)

Look at Reach. Yes, there are options to change a lot of things, but the core game (including things like armor lock which all people on earth agree is a terrible ability) are in most of the playlists, of which there are 675 of.

The commentary is about barriers of entry to new players (random power weapon spawns instead of static timed power weapons)

Since this is 343's first big title, they're going to want to move a lot of units on day 1 to show they can deliver a AAA title. Not having a beta (which would likely turn off existing Halo fans), and making it easier for non-Halo fans to jump into matchmaking is going to help do that. All of these changes seem to be geared towards that. They want the CoD money, not Halo money. Business is the reality.

People don't want to have to salvage the game through custom options. They want to be able to sign in, and hop into a playlist that has good default settings. (Not referring to anything specific in Halo 4, just stating as a general concept.)

Look at Reach. Yes, there are options to change a lot of things, but the core game (including things like armor lock which all people on earth agree is a terrible ability) are in most of the playlists, of which there are 675 of.

Im not saying they should salvage it im saying that after a month in the wild is 343 see that something like random power weapons drops aint working THEY could fix it via custom options,

A classic playlist is a must and im relatively sure 343i know this. I would not be surprised if the game gets a classic playlist VERY early in its lifespan.

However the new game settings could actually be the shit and we wont know till we play them

I think the best thing would be for Stinkles(no offense to BSangel) himself to just write a Bulletin whenever they are allowed to speak about it and clarify what everything means. It would definitely help simmer down the anger.

He makes some points I agree with and some I don't, but this is a reasonable conclusion.

Oh I agree that we should wait for more info, but for me, things he said sounded really stupid. I don't want to see this in Halo 4 and it makes me sad there are Halo fans who actually want this in Halo 4.

Overdoziz

Banned
The new campaign and spartan ops details sound fantastic! And that's as far as my excitement goes. :)
That's true. I've said it before, a Spec Ops kind of gamemode could be so much more entertaining than Firefight. Firefight is practically the same on every map while Spartan Ops can have so much more variation.

GhaleonEB

Oh I agree that we should wait for more info, but for me, things he said sounded really stupid. I don't want to see this in Halo 4 and it makes me sad there are Halo fans who actually want this in Halo 4.

It's one of those details that just screams "devoid of context". I'm really not sure what to make of it, but I'll give 343 the benefit of the doubt until we know what exactly that means and how it will be implemented.

That's true. I've said it before, a Spec Ops kind of gamemode could be so much more entertaining than Firefight. Firefight is practically the same on every map while Spartan Ops can have so much more variation.

That's my interpretaion as well. Particularly the bit about it being as grand in scope as the campaign. I'm picturing some really brutal combat situations to progress through large parts of - perhaps entire - campaign missions, with objectives and goals that can vary. It's pretty much what I wanted Firefight to evolve into. We'll see, but hot damn am I interested.

I was apprehensive at first too, but now I don't think its going to be too bad.

The armor abilities will probably be improved from what we saw in reach. Not as much flying around, and hopefully no armor lock.

The join in progress is a good inclusion for social, and it will probably be left out of ranked. Also, having the option to start with a dmr/br is always a good thing.

I'm optimistic about the "random" weapon drops. Like others have said, there will probably be 3 locations on that map where rocket or sniper can spawn. It would be good if there was an in game announcement 30 seconds in advanced on where the spawn will be so it's not just a big guessing game. This also promotes map movement.

The one change that I do not support at all are the instant respawns.

Im not saying they should salvage it im saying that after a month in the wild is 343 see that something like random power weapons drops aint working THEY could fix it via custom options,

A classic playlist is a must and im relatively sure 343i know this. I would not be surprised if the game gets a classic playlist VERY early in its lifespan.

However the new game settings could actually be the shit and we wont know till we play them

That's part of my point though. Yes, that is good that they will be able to change things, but the change to random weapon spawns is clearly a deliberate design decision. It's not just going to change game-wide a month after launch.

People don't want to have to play a 'classic' playlist right out of the gate because they hate the game. I want to really like the default game (and hope that I do), and I hate fragmentation and hundreds of playlists. If I have to end up spending my time in some classic playlist, than so be it, but that is not what I want to have happen in order to get enjoyment out of the game.

The campaign and Spartan Ops stuff all sounds awesome btw.

As much as I love seeing Marty's face, three posts in a row is a little much :)

I still think it would be cool if armor ability energy didn't recharge, and you had to pick up energy to make it work.
So it would be similar to Halo's past powerups.

Risen

He makes some points I agree with and some I don't, but this is a reasonable conclusion.

But I can not be freaking out and still say it's an awful idea... this is perhaps the most concerning thing listed in all the information for me...

Knowledge isn't a skill, it's the implementation of the knowledge that's the skill; and knowledge is something that's available to all. It's up to the individual to seek it, or not. I'd rather have competition based on knowledge than luck. Luck, or randomness, cannot be balanced. Even if things are implemented like timers and markers noting where and when drops are made... even if the weapons are identified... it won't remove the "luck" of just being in the right place at the right time relative to the other team.

Truthfully - I have no idea how this idea was ever contemplated in a Halo title.

I still can't wait for the release - I'm definitely excited to play a new Halo, even one that has evolved... as long as that evolution is implemented well.

It's one of those details that just screams "devoid of context". I'm really not sure what to make of it, but I'll give 343 the benefit of the doubt until we know what exactly that means and how it will be implemented.

You see, for me, the problem is that I can't see a way (yet) where I will enjoy these ''random'' weapon spawns. Of course, if 343 can make it awesome, I'll be all in for it but I just can't imagine I will.

Like I said before in my previous long post, the most striking thing about the MP changes is their breathtaking lack of originality. Many of them are lifted wholesale from COD. Fuck COD.

Also

Sprinting jet packers guys. Sprinting jetpackers.

Anyone up for some Halo 3? GT: The Henery

Top Bottom