• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5: no night, no weather, no storefront, no auction house

Mascot

I agree with the people who say this news softens the blow about avoiding the Xbone. Forza 5 has been my most anticipated game of E3 and it was the only game that could have persuaded me to ignore everything I dislike about the Xbone, but it's pretty much made my mind up for me. I don't even think Fanatec support (which I don't believe will happen, but you never know) could change my mind now.

FM5 will still be a fantastic game, of that I have zero doubt. But night and weather are huge omissions for the fifth version of the franchise. I guess the pressure of hitting launch on new hardware just stretched resources far too thinly, but I'll be seriously pissed if there are fully-fleshed out mini-games like soccer and bowling again instead. Priorities would HAVE to be questioned if that was the case.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yep. Turn 10 has it in em to do great things, but unless they're holding things extremely close to the chest it'll be Forza 6 before we see truly amazing stuff.

Forza 5 will be a solid game regardless I'm sure. Even when rushed they at least polish what they DO ship with.
Yup. I'm upset, but its only because I have very high expectations of what Forza can do.

If anybody is getting an Xbox One and likes racing games or cars, you'll still NEED to have this. It just wont quite live up to the potential. I expect Forza 6 will be a much more complete package.

i-Lo

Wait so does this suggest it was rushed?

Given GT5 (day/night cycle and weather), a PS3 game has it and Drive Club will have it (at least day/night for the latter), it looks that way.

Who knows perhaps in time with the power of the cloud they can reign in some rain.

Wow, they're taking a really big step back. I know Microsoft wants some heavy hitters at launch but you risk the brand taking a hit if Forza is too bare bones.

This is what happens when you try to jump onto a new platform and make a launch title in 2 years.

Sacrifices have to be made, and T10 has always prioritized 60 fps (and now 1080p on FM5) over things like weather or night (for better or worse).

DasRaven

My personal wishlist for FM5 (which is currently the only exclusive I'm interested in for XB1):
  1. Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
  2. Mount Panorama Circuit
  3. Virginia International Raceway
  4. Day/Night Cycle
  5. Dynamic Weather
  6. Porsche

Already not looking good.

Seanspeed

Banned
Can you still customize your car?
Oh yea. lol

Forza is ALL about customization. Its one of the things that make it preferable to Gran Turismo for me.

Seems like they're just changing how liveries and tunes are shared. A little bit disappointing, because Auction House was fun for a lot of people, but I could live with that. No night OR weather is just ridiculous, though. I know I've said they're not that important to me, but its just the fact that they KNOW everybody else wants it really badly and still aren't delivering on it makes me question their priorities. This is a series that used to have THE BEST team in terms of listening to community feedback. At some point, they just seemed to have stopped listening, though. They'll give us little bits of things we want and then ALL SORTS of other stuff nobody wanted or asked for.

GameSeeker

This is what happens when you try to jump onto a new platform and make a launch title in 2 years.

Sacrifices have to be made, and T10 has always prioritized 60 fps (and now 1080p on FM5) over things like weather or night (for better or worse).

True, but not having dynamic lighting (day/night cycles) even with the advanced power of Xbone and the "power of the cloud" is very disappointing.

Maybe if they had stayed 720p/60fps they could have achieved dynamic lighting.

benzy

Edit 2: ALL cars are Autovista now. This possibly/probably means a vastly reduced car roster from FM4.

Hopefully that means all cars have been remodeled completely from scratch. I can't believe there's still no night at least...

Leucrota

I dont know why I'm so upset. I wasn't really planning on getting an Xbox One, but I was maybe thinking that if Forza was mind-blowing enough, I'd cave in at some point down the line. This isn't gonna do that.

You are upset because you see such a sublime developer blow a very good chance at releasing a stunning, groundbreaking product.

At least that is why I am upset.

burgerdog

No excuses, this was the one title that I really wanted to play or would possibly buy an XO for. Not so much anymore, don't get lazy, Turn 10.

Vire

When did it leave? :/

Its always been a major part of the series.

No way. They cant cut tracks back that much. No way in hell.

Just like they couldn't take out the auction house?

It wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Fuck this game. :/

Seanspeed

Banned
You are upset because you see such a sublime developer blow a very good chance at releasing a stunning, groundbreaking product.

At least that is why I am upset.
Thanks, yea, exactly it.

Just like they couldn't take out the auction house?

It wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Fuck this game. :/
People can live without the Auction House.

They wont be able to live with a tiny amount of tracks.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
True, but not having dynamic lighting (day/night cycles) even with the advanced power of Xbone and the "power of the cloud" is very disappointing.

Maybe if they had stayed 720p/60fps they could have achieved dynamic lighting.

The console is many times more powerful than the PS3 and it could do it.

There is absolutely no excuse for these things to be missing. None. The console is MORE than powerful enough to do it. As I said earlier, T10 is not interested in pushing the series forward.

RibMan

I'm disappointed by the lack of night driving+dynamic weather. I suppose they can patch that in at a later date?

nampad

No night and weather is really disappointing. I understand that it is a launch game but maybe stop releasing renditions every two years would be helpful in including one of the most asked features by racing game fans.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I'm disappointed by the lack of night driving+dynamic weather. I suppose they can patch that in at a later date?

That would have to be by far the most misplaced hope I have ever seen...

They can't even do it with 2 full generations and you hope they will patch it in? lol...

I was wondering the same thing. I would think that the producer (that is what he is, right?) of the game would know at this stage if the game he is making supports wheel(s) or not.

Wheel support has nothing to do with Forza and everything to do with Microsoft policies.

amar212

I was wondering the same thing. I would think that the producer (that is what he is, right?) of the game would know at this stage if the game he is making supports wheel(s) or not.

To be honest, five minutes earlier he was not sure about how many difficulty levels FM4 has. He said he "thinks" there were 5.

They are still deciding or trying to do something. GTPlanet has a quote from German Xbox forum how Fanatec compatibility situation will be announced/revealed just after the E3. Search for quote in Hardware/Fanatec section, I am on the phone so I can't c/p.

LeBoef

The console is many times more powerful than the PS3 and it could do it.

There is absolutely no excuse for these things to be missing. None. The console is MORE than powerful enough to do it. As I said earlier, T10 is not interested in pushing the series forward.

ah yeah. no excuse.
maybe they didnt focus on it? maybe other people think that there are more important things than weathereffects or night transission?!

The only launch title I was excited about for the xb1 and even that fails to deliver. Now I can confidently say I won't be missing not buying an xb1 anytime in the near future.

No night or weather yet even in its 5th installment on new hardware? Very unexpected. Sad too because the FM franchise is pretty damn good and deserves better.

Shame about the lack of weather or night tracks, GT domination :p

I skipped 4 though because my 360 wheel got lost when I moved and I didn't want to buy another one at the time. Will almost certainly still pick this up at launch, hopefully they've added something besides magical mumbo jumbo AI. It looks nice I guess!

Respawn

Banned
lol at the tradeoffs to make 1080p and no weather plus night. The PS3 is below specced of the Xbox-One and still manages this with weather and night. [Yes I know the actual res but still to push all that geometry with those rainstorms is crazy]

Weather is not shocking, i was expecting it because it affects the physics and many other things.
Night is surprising because Forza Horizon have it and i thought they would share that with Turn10.

Auction House and Storefront was shocking but i they are replaced by something that could work better, this may be a good thing.

Also i´d like to point out that while theres no weather and night we finally have Open Wheelers, a feature that has been asked from a long time ago and all the cars are much better detailed now, hopefully this means the old model from Forza 1-2 are redone. Drivatar evolution sound pretty good too and seems to be lot more dificulty levels too which is something that Forza needed.

I have hopes that dirt surface are in the game for rally racing.

Overall lack of night is the only real disappointing news for me.

Top Bottom