• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brilliant new Gamefly commercial.

Cipherr

LMMMMMMMAAAAAAAOOOO wow, that was really well done. Missed opportunity to place some magazines on one of those racks that were hurled though.

Cipherr

Omg one of the Gamestop employees is filming with his cameraphone as the guy picks up the Master Chief. I am seriously rofl

CbKnX.png

I laughed @ "Absolutely $9" and pushing the racks over. Oh and the Chief going through the window was gold.

But you can make bank by trading in during the right promotion so whatevs, bro.

Majanew

Banned
Ripped off? Sell your games yourself then. Baffles me how people cry rip off when GameStop doesn't have to give you anything. Helpless morons.

Cipherr

I like the girl who just climbs up on the counter and starts screaming and stomping lol.

Ripped off? Sell your games yourself then. Baffles me how people cry rip off when GameStop doesn't have to give you anything. Helpless, morons.

Wow... don't you think you are taking the clearly comedic commercial a bit to personal? No need to get all defensive mate.

way more

People yelling really loudly and annoying. That's one way to insure I change the channel, great work advertisers!

That's a pretty good fake master chief. I thought it was the real one for a while and was like "I don't think microsoft will be a fan of that".

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hilarious ad, but makes no sense when you think about it. lol

Why would anyone give someone good credit/money if the game absolutely sucks? lol

Love the rack bits though!

NinjaBoiX

I tried to trade me copy of Homefront PS3 for the Xbox version (that game is broke as fuck on PS3 by the way, literally can't play more than 20 mins without it locking up your system) and GAME wanted to give me £1.50 cash, or £2.50 credit, even though they were selling it for a tenner pre-owned. They intended to quadruple their cash, and ensure that the cash they paid goes back in the till at some point.

Fuck those guys, I hope they properly go under, fucking rip off merchants. I eventually traded at CEX for £4 and paid an extra £3 for the Xbox version. That's more like it!

Speevy

Banned
During the early 2000s, Gamestop gave a lot more money for trade-ins, and was always doing this trade 3 and get $10 bonus plus B2G1 on top of it.

I always felt like I was coming out ahead then. Now it's terrible.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
During the early 2000s, Gamestop gave a lot more money for trade-ins, and was always doing this trade 3 and get $10 bonus plus B2G1 on top of it.

I always felt like I was coming out ahead then. Now it's terrible.

They still do both of those things. They also do a 50% bonus special now.

Speevy

Banned
They still do both of those things. They also do a 50% bonus special now.

Yeah, but as I said, the trade-ins suck now so you're always getting hosed.

And it's more likely that you'll get a % bonus for your already crappy trade values.

They love to take your consoles back though, except you know, I need those to play the games.

Kintaro

Cause it's probably a newer game that someone bought for $50+.

But...it sucks. If you bought Homefront for $60, word got out it sucked, why would you expect good money from it? You'd be lucky to get a pack of gum and a smile for it. =)

I'm not saying GS trade in values aren't on the low end overall (I blame this on 1/3 shareholders, 1/3 gamers making games completely disposable, and 1/3 ...well, I dunno what the other 1/3 is...oreos?), but getting upset over the value of a shitty game, no matter when you bought it and how much you bought it for is kind of silly.

I mean, the point of the commercial/service is to try before you buy to avoid buying shitty games. =)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
But...it sucks. If you bought Homefront for $60, word got out it sucked, why would you expect good money from it? You'd be lucky to get a pack of gum and a smile for it. =)

I'm not saying GS trade in values aren't on the low end overall (I blame this on 1/3 shareholders, 1/3 gamers making games completely disposable, and 1/3 ...well, I dunno what the other 1/3 is...oreos?), but getting upset over the value of a shitty game, no matter when you bought it and how much you bought it for is kind of silly.

I mean, the point of the commercial/service is to try before you buy to avoid buying shitty games. =)
If Homefront wasn't worth much money shortly after launch then why did GS turn around and sell it used for $55?

Polk

Try the game before you buy it? Even if Gamefly really want to encourage sales noone will do this (unless you "rent" the same game for 3 months and you cannot find the disc anymore).

Kintaro

If Homefront wasn't worth much money shortly after launch then why did GS turn around and sell it used for $55?

So they can get some other sucker to buy it? Buy low, sell high. Business is business after all. Wouldn't you try to get the most out of it too?

Still a funny ad though!

NinjaBoiX

Exactly. Using my example, I bought Homefront for £6 at CEX, (it's a quid cheaper of PS3 for some reason), returned it for £4, and bought it for Xbox for £7. That is reasonable for a short, poorly received, two year old game.

If the same thing had happened at GAME, I'd have paid £10, got 25% back, then paid another tenner. It would've cost me £17.50 rather than £9. That's almost double the price. Fuck GAME, seriously. I hate their practices, their prices, their adds, their customer service, their irritating PoS script, urgh.

NinjaBoiX

So they can get some other sucker to buy it? Buy low, sell high. Business is business after all. Wouldn't you try to get the most out of it too?

Still a funny ad though!
Yeah, but when you have nearly just collapsed, and stores around you are giving twice the amount of trade in, I think they are being incredibly short sighted. The only thing keeping them alive is parents and young kids either can't be bothered, or don't care to look around. The number of times I've nudged someone to tell them they could buy "x" for half the price round the corner.

As I said, fuck those guys.

Edit: just read on EG that GAME Australia have just gone into administration. Cue Diablo 3 pre-orders being canceled and no refunds for deposits being given. Ah GAME, you are your own worst enemy.

The_Monk

I wish I could have a single gaming renting company/serice in my country.

But not even one, at least that I know of...Argh.

=/

Derrick01

Banned
This was almost my reaction when I went there the other day expecting to get around 14 or so for a game from the CAG tracker and got 8. I was not pleased.

ascii42

I don't ever trade in games, but I definitely felt this way trading in textbooks back in college. "$15 for all three books? What the hell?"

vazel

Banned
I didn't know gamefly had a netflix-like service for pc games. Seems like a dream come true. I'll have to check that out.

Edit: It's not streaming like onlive is it?

megamerican

Great commercial.

Gamestop should fire back with the dreaded "very low availability" that every single title showcased in that ad undoubtedly is.

Utako

Banned
Anyone know the thread that the "magazine rack" meme came from?

I hope this part of the Gamefly commercial was a reference, even though it's probably just an intuitive response to GameStop's customer relations.

Izick

That was pretty solid. People can say that it's your choice to trade-in the games, but that doesn't make the commercial any less funny or biting. It's just saying that you're usually going to get ripped-off trading in games, which is true. People still do it because it's convenient and fine, but they still know they're getting ripped off. So why not just use a Gamefly if you're going to trade-in games all the time, as you'll save lots of money in the long run.

Makes sense to me.

Top Bottom