• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 7 |OT| Is this still a fad?

Magical flower that might not exist? Is it the same flower from the Daring Do book I'm reading right now (Daring Do and the Eternal Flower)?

Haven't read the Daring Do book but the flower in the comic did exist but was really rare and was on the side of a cliff near the ocean that had a huge breeze that made it really hard to actually grab due to salt getting everywhere. Going out on a limb and guessing that it's probably not the one from Daring Do given that I don't know of any instance of any other MLP media making a reference to the books besides the books themselves.

Also are the Daring Do books any good?

Haven't read the Daring Do book but the flower in the comic did exist but was really rare and was on the side of a cliff near the ocean that had a huge breeze that made it really hard to actually grab due to salt getting everywhere. Going out on a limb and guessing that it's probably not the one from Daring Do given that I don't know of any instance of any other MLP media making a reference to the books besides the books themselves.

Actually, the show is pretty heavy on references to the chapter books, which makes it ironic that fans pay practically no attention to them compared to the comics. Granted, that applies to me too >_>

Examples include "The Mane Attraction" referencing how Pinkie held a Rockapalooza, "Hearthbreakers" making sure that Applejack doesn't get introduced to Pinkie's family (since she met them already), "Fluttershy Leans In" referencing how Angel tried to become a herding rabbit, and the Daring Do movie in "Movie Magic" being an adaptation of one of the Daring Do books.

I hear the Daring Do books are good. They're written by GM Berrow, but not in "Daring Done?" mode.

EDIT: Early movie screenings are getting crazy early! Up to four contest winners get to see it in New York City on September 24! Others will get to see it in Denver on October 1.

It sounds like a different flower. I'm only a bit into this current book but the flower is described as a flower that doesn't want to be found, changes its location and appearance, and grants immortality.

I liked the first Daring Do book, The Marked Thief of Marapore. Though still obviously aimed at young children with its large font and pages at the end to write in, it felt slightly more sophisticated than some of the other MLP books Berrow has written. I distinctly remember "melancholy" and "decennially" being used, and made me forget for just a little bit I was reading a My Little Pony novel. I don't know how adventurous children's authors are with vocabulary, but it sounds above average to me.

The story is cool because it's a Daring Do adventure story from start to finish instead of having to be woven in with the mane cast or any kind of character drama really. There's the lore's introduction, some mystery, far-off land journeying, some comedic bits, and then an action finish. The one detractor was the villain who was completely forgettable.

"Rainbow" by Sia officially on YouTube for free, US only.

Alright, the thread plan for the movie is that before September 24, or whatever early showing comes before that, I'll create a separate spoiler thread. At that point, I'll have a mod remove the "+ MOVIE" part of this title, and all movie discussion will go in the spoiler thread. If there's a desire for a non-spoiler movie discussion thread, the trailer thread can be used for that. I'll continue to post non-spoiler fan art of the movie in this thread; neither the spoiler thread nor trailer thread should be heavy on fanart.

After season 7 ends, I'll bring back the "+ MOVIE" in the title, and I believe enough time would have passed for us to freely discuss the movie here.

Friday fan content roundup. I still have to look into Derpibooru art that ED missed, but I'll do that later, I suppose.

Daring Done?
Sphinx by midfire
S7E18 by tyuubatu
Lick by WubcakeVA
Sphinxbymidfire1505161711077.png
S7E18bytyuubatu1505161711247.jpg
LickbyWubcakeVA1505161711466.png

Somnambula by neonmaible
Riddle Me This by TalonsofIceandFire
Trial of hope by StarBlaze25
byneonmaible1505161714646.png
RiddleMeThisbyTalonsofIceandFire1505248659182.png
TrialofhopebyStarBlaze251505339702454.jpg

The Legend of Somnambula by YorozPony
Legend of the Desert by OrangeJuiceRus
Look at me by Pony-Way
TheLegendOfSomnambulabyYorozPony1505339702620.png
LegendoftheDesertbyOrangeJuiceRus1505426009577.png
LookatmebyPonyWay1505426009648.png

S7E18 by AKAINU7 - Oh hey, art of something besides the legend!
Just a dumb random idea based on the latest episode by FlutterThrash - Somnambula is making a song reference.
Cats being cats by tomatocoup
S7E18byAKAINU71505426012136.jpg
byflutterthrash1505507522772.png
Catsbeingcatsbytomatocoup1505507519936.jpg

Bow before me by Imalou
The foundation by DiscordTheGE
Trap Of Yarn by vavacung
BowbeforemebyImalou1505339702168.jpg
ThefoundationbyDiscordTheGE1505426009391.png
FanArtTrapOfYarnbyvavacung1505507519988.png

The Movie
Movie characters by Kawaindex
Tempest Shadow vs Twilight Sparkle by hardbrony
The raid by joselyn565
thumb.png
TempestShadowvsTwilightSparklebyhardbrony1505161710840.jpg
Theraidbyjoselyn5651505161712546.png

Tempest 2.0 by Petrinox
Tempest Shadow by nekokevin
Songbird by BeflishProductions
The Storm King by HPBudgecraft
TempestbyPetrinox1505339703611.png
TempestShadowMLPMoviebynekokevin1505426012019.jpg
SongbirdbyBefishProductions1505507523952.png
TheStormKingbyHPBudgecraft1505507520154.jpg

Seapony Rarity Plush by Little-Broy-Peep
MLPSeaponyRarityPlushcommissionbyLittleBroyPeep1505367706260.jpg

Other
Fame and Misfortune - Plushies Coconut Cream and Toola Roola by Burgunzik
The Perfect Pear - Young Granny by utauYan
PlushiesCoconutCreamandToolaRoolabyBurgunzik1505367704480.jpg
YoungGrannybyutauYan1505507520147.png

A Royal Problem - At Daybreak by BaNoodle
AtDaybreakbyBaNoodle1505507522533.png

Remixes
Flawless | MLP Piano cover by Matías Peñaloza
Flawless – My Little Pony: FiM –Synthesia Piano Cover by Dmitriev
You're In My Head Like A Catchy Song (GotAnyBits Remix)

EDIT: Oh hey, a Mongolian commercial for the movie randomly had new footage of Twilight splashing some water, presumably during the first song, which looks pretty nice.

Well that's one mystery solved. Apparently according to the order of episodes that Zap2It revealed back in the early Canadian airings days (see this post), "A Health of Information" was last week in production order; "The Times They Are a Changeling" was supposed to have been today, with "Daring Done?" in its current place. Episodes do get jumbled up, but it's unfortunate that this happened with an episode that ties in so strongly with its respective comic. The next comic ties into "Secrets and Pies", which, though not scheduled yet, should air on October 13, the weekend after the movie comes out. I don't think there will be a similar mix up.

Also, wait... September 24 is just next Sunday. It's hard to imagine that we'll be getting movie impressions and reviews so soon.

... And I was specifically planning on having the new episode guide ready before I made the spoiler thread. Crap. I guess I will have to make quick temporary versions after all.

Anyway, today's episode is

19. It Isn't the Mane Thing About You
When Rarity's shampoo is accidentally switched with Zecora's magical remover potion, she does everything she can to fix her devastated mane in time for an upcoming photo shoot.

ED has a fantastic header image.
158524__safe_screencap_rarity_animated_crying_fainting%252Bcouch_flailing_marshmelodrama_panic_solo_the%252Bworst%252Bpossible%252Bthing.gif

Even if the episode doesn't prove interesting for Rarity's character, we'll definitely get a lot of marshmelodrama.

draetenth

I'm not really sure how i feel about the episode... Why on earth did the two potions look exactly alike? Zecora put them on the table next to each other and even saw the two pick the bottles up. Were they so similar that she couldn't tell they picked up the wrong ones?

At least the facial expressions were good... We also got to see some of the background ponies (i.e. flower trio).

The episode started off really slow for me and I feel like the whole thing was just a bunch of contrivances to cause conflict. (Both the potions look the same, Zecora doesn't seem concerned with making sure that they didn't accidentally swap the two, hair can't be magically affected because if it could Twilight or Starlight would instantly fix it) And most of the stuff with the townsponies didn't interest me much. But all of the stuff with the Mane 6 was pretty entertaining. Overall it was a middling episode for me, nothing stellar but it wasn't horrible.

Btw it was done by Josh Haber. Apparently he's coming back to do story editing with Lewis+Songco for Season 8.

Also I'm sure Sigma is happy about this:

mRN5He1.jpg

UberTag

I ADORED this episode. Rarity-centric where she was melodramatic but NOT one-dimensional. The supporting cast was wisely used in smart and effective ways. Starlight Glimmer was actively interacting with the Mane Six. Zecora was written perfectly. We had an amusing running gag with that woodpecker continuing to hound Rarity's mane. A continuity reference to the premiere. We even got a Diamond Tiara sighting - even if it only amounted to her rolling her eyes at her father. Even the title of the episode and the well-focused lesson reinforced one another.

Pretty much as perfect as a slice of life Friendship is Magic episode gets. Josh Haber really gets this franchise and what makes it work like few others.

Everyone's makeshift but impractical solutions to Rarity's mane challenges also reminded me a lot of...

981529.jpg

It Isn't the Mane Thing About You
I really liked that episode! The humor was great and everyone was in character.

It was neat seeing Bright Mac's friend and Grand Pear at the beginning. I enjoyed the sequences of Rarity just going around helping ponies without a second thought, particularly since this involved so many existing background characters.

So canonically, at least 11 months have passed since "Baby Cakes", which took place one month after Pound and Pumpkin were born. Pinkie was pretty fun here, and she even sung a short ditty. Zecora was also pretty great, indifference to ponies mixing up her potions aside. I don't think I can count this as learning more about her for my bingo card, though.

It was a nice detail that while everyone was startled by Rarity's mane, the reason they didn't notice or recognize her is because she kept her voice low and didn't draw attention to herself even when she was trying to draw attention, and Rarity left before trying for real.

The fact that mane magic is so complex was pretty contrived. Trixie did some in her intro episode, and on Rarity no less! That said, it was nice to see Starlight just hanging out with all the rest of the Main Six, no story relevance needed. Though come to think of it, Spike was strangely absent.

I recall in a recent Off-Topic thread, it was a point of discussion how the vast majority of TV presentations of lesbian couples had both partners be feminine, with barely any appearances of butch women. The butch look is still generally presented as being unappealing, so it was neat to see everyone reacting well to Rarity adopting a similar style. It's great for kids who might be drawn to that but are afraid of the reaction. And of course, this applies more generally to kids afraid people won't like how they look.

While I did enjoy "Forever Filly", it's nice to have a Rarity episode most of us can agree is good.

EDIT:
Also I'm sure Sigma is happy about this:

mRN5He1.jpg

Eh, it was too short. Needs more nuzzling / 10

Though on the subject, that was fast. Who Wants to Make the Whole World Coexist by NCMares
medium.png

EDIT: Woah, completely missed this!
small.png

This episode is just full of continuity! Though still no "Fame and Misfortune"; it looks like "Once Upon a Zeppelin" is the last chance for that to be relevant before the finale.

UberTag

The fact that mane magic is so complex was pretty contrived. Trixie did some in her intro episode, and on Rarity no less! That said, it was nice to see Starlight just hanging out with all the rest of the Main Six, no story relevance needed. Though come to think of it, Spike was strangely absent.
Unless I'm mistaken, Spike was spotted on cleanup detail giving Twilight's castle a trim after her and Starlight's unsuccessful attempts to grow Rarity's mane back with magic.

Good call on referencing Trixie's mane antics from way back in Season 1... although perhaps the real complexity of mane magic is to have intended results in mind as opposed to something that just winds up in a chaotic mess like this.

a6cc259c5380t.jpg

I thought this was a good episode, with a good lesson in making due with what you have. I just kept waiting for them to go back to Pinkie though.

I guess the punk rocker look is in now.

Something tells me this is going to be one of those episodes that I didn't really care for the first time around but am going to enjoy a lot more on repeat viewings once my expectations are properly set.

Eh, it was too short. Needs more nuzzling / 10

Your reaction makes me think of this

Good call on referencing Trixie's mane antics from way back in Season 1... although perhaps the real complexity of mane magic is to have intended results in mind as opposed to something that just winds up in a chaotic mess like this.

I think it's largely just an inconsistency that's brought on by the episode trying to come up with a reason as to why it can't just be easily fixed. The show's been going on for over 150 episodes and has had dozens of writers. Contradictions of previous events like this is almost inevitable. Besides magic not working on hair well is a pretty massive stretch IMO even if the show hadn't already contradicted it. Aside from a small handful of people I don't think most people really care that much about the magic system being consistent since it's not like the show's lore is what most people watch the show for. (Even though I think it's way better then it has any right to be) Also from that exact same episode Twilight was able to do a mustache creating spell so if it's creating hair that's the problem then it's shot down in that way too.

At any rate I feel like it would have made more sense if they said that the potion Zecora gave her was super powerful due to how sticky the foam was that needed to be removed and resisted magic, which would have made magically fixing her mane impossible. That way they wouldn't have contradicted themselves while still giving a more plausible reason as to why they couldn't just magically fix it.

I thought this was a good episode, with a good lesson in making due with what you have. I just kept waiting for them to go back to Pinkie though.

I guess the punk rocker look is in now.

Indeed. Just from today's Drawfriend, with me leaving out what I posted already and one with butt:
Raripunk by HiccupsDoesArt
Raripunk by art-of-aa
Raripunk by TheBatFang
RaripunkbyHiccupsDoesArt1505593773421.jpg
Raripunkbyartofaa1505593773799.png
RaripunkbyTheBatFang1505593774222.png

And there's a ton more on Derpibooru!

That Twilight-Rarity artwork Sigma shared gave me serious Jem & The Holograms vibes.

Rara got some taste for rock by Underpable
medium.png

That reminds me,
small.png

I think we're seeing Rarity's true tastes this season.

Now look, I'll never be satisfied until they start smooching. Never. NEVER!
(Really just an excuse to use that My Hero Academia GIF)

Boast Busters is basically fan fiction at this point, an episode overwritten. Spike's comment about a unicorn's magic being limited to their cutie mark? Gone. Hair being able to be transformed by magic? Ancient history. Next we're going to find out Trixie never existed.

UberTag

Boast Busters is basically fan fiction at this point, an episode overwritten. Spike's comment about a unicorn's magic being limited to their cutie mark? Gone. Hair being able to be transformed by magic? Ancient history. Next we're going to find out Trixie never existed.
Starlight won't allow Trixie to get written out of this timeline.
You can do away with Snips and Snails, though. Nobody will miss them (outside of some buckball recruiters).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
They could have come up with a better reason for not being able to magic the problem away (just say it's a side effect of Zecora's potions. Magic doesn't work on them).

Ultimately it didn't bring down the episode at all for me.

UberTag

Not gonna lie; kinda wish the show had kept Raripunk around. Obviously that was never gonna happen, but it would have been pretty freaking cool if they did.
I think there may have been a possibility for a continuity nod if the movie wasn't right around the corner.
I mean, they could have made new dolls and figures and everything. Who doesn't love more merchandising?

(Other guy is Starlight)

Anyway, I feel like season one was actually the season that contradicted the cutie mark magic rule the most. Plus, Rarity in "Magical Mystery Cure".

Twilight, Starlight, Sunburst, and Trixie are the only ones I recall casting unusual spells besides those instances, and they all have magic-based cutie marks. Well, unless Starlight's really is a kite.

Not gonna lie; kinda wish the show had kept Raripunk around. Obviously that was never gonna happen, but it would have been pretty freaking cool if they did.

Well, she'll live on in fan art at least. Plus, given history, it will probably randomly get a callback in Equestria Girls. Raripunk by punzil504
thumb.png

You know, Raripunk actually does work pretty well in Equestria Girls style.

Well, she'll live on in fan art at least. Plus, given history, it will probably randomly get a callback in Equestria Girls. Raripunk by punzil504
thumb.png

You know, Raripunk actually does work pretty well in Equestria Girls style.

Yeah, I was thinking to myself earlier that we're probably gonna see a callback to Raripunk in a EQG short or episode sometime down the road. Definitely a lot of potential for that to look awesome in that style too, as that fanart indicates!

Goddamn that episode was a lot of fun! Yeah it was kind of plot stupid to get things going, but once it was in full swing, I was on board. Lot of laughs and Rarity melodrama which made for more laughs.

And punk rocker Rarity was pretty rad.

Mane six were handled exceptionally well. This one packed in a ton of stuff in a short amount of time.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmhifH1Wx8k So Sunset Shimmer does have a house! Wonder how she affords it.

UberTag

Now look, I'll never be satisfied until they start smooching. Never. NEVER!

(Really just an excuse to use that My Hero Academia GIF)

My reaction to people using Anime gifs

3m0LyWI.png

Anime was a mistake

I've said it before but a lot of Larson's stuff on magic (Magic Duel most noticeably) ended up being really inconsistent with the rest of the show, like Celestia saying that Twilight has the most magic potential that she's ever seen back in Cutie Mark Chronicles. I feel like it would be funny to go back to all the season one episodes and find all the stuff that has been contradicted in later episodes.

It would have been really cool, but aside from the reason Uber laid out there's also the risk of people hating the design overall and having them continuously use it anyway. I feel like a large part of why we don't see the rainbow forms anymore is because people hated how they look.

As an aside it's really cool that most of the stuff that is in-canon supposed to look a specific way actually looks like that. Most of Rarity's outfits looks suitably fabulous, and she pulls the punk look off very well here.

Incidentally, I love that Monday Blues track. Great Rebecca Shoichet showcase.

Monday Blues is my favorite short so far. The music isn't stellar for me (although I wasn't paying too much attention to the singing quality) but it tells an effective story and has a lot of personality despite the lack of real dialogue.

Music video for "Rainbow" by Sia was leaked, and it has a bunch of movie clips, including apparently from the ending. I didn't watch the video, but the GIFs I saw are seriously pretty.

She brought some diamonds/precious jewels from Equestria (where they're in abundance) and pawned them to cover the cost of her lease.

Incidentally, I love that Monday Blues track. Great Rebecca Shoichet showcase.

I was about to say she probably had a bit bag on her at most, but I suppose Rarity was throwing around gems as currency in "Rarity Takes Manehattan". Oh, and "Just For Sidekicks" had everyone carry gems, including Fluttershy randomly having a huge one on her.

Not a huge fan of the song, but the animation makes it one of the best Summertime Shorts. When it comes to Rebecca singing with herself, I prefer the deleted version of "What More is Out There" from Friendship Games.

My reaction to people using Anime gifs

3m0LyWI.png

Anime was a mistake

But anime ponies tho

small.png

I've said it before but a lot of Larson's stuff on magic (Magic Duel most noticeably) ended up being really inconsistent with the rest of the show, like Celestia saying that Twilight has the most magic potential that she's ever seen back in Cutie Mark Chronicles. I feel like it would be funny to go back to all the season one episodes and find all the stuff that has been contradicted in later episodes.

Huh? What's wrong with that statement from Celestia? Anyway, the other big season one contradiction that comes to mind is when Appleoosa was founded. It's brand new in "Over a Barrel", yet later seasons have flashbacks to well before that, notably in season 5's "Appleoosa's Most Wanted".

It would have been really cool, but aside from the reason Uber laid out there's also the risk of people hating the design overall and having them continuously use it anyway. I feel like a large part of why we don't see the rainbow forms anymore is because people hated how they look.

Yeah, a permanent change to a character's look, especially such a huge shift like Raripunk, is incredibly risky for many reasons. Plus, it's better if people are left wanting more, rather than getting tired of overexposure. Now what I would like is if characters did randomly go with a slightly different look in some episodes, with no explanation given, which we have seen a bit in the new Equestria Girls shorts. Have Twilight put her hair up, or have Applejack put her hair down... actually, no, that might be too big a change. Have her put her hair up in a different way.

As for Rainbow Power, I feel like it's more that they didn't want the characters to have an instant win button that they'd have to write around. I would have preferred an actual explanation for why they don't use it, though.

As an aside it's really cool that most of the stuff that is in-canon supposed to look a specific way actually looks like that. Most of Rarity's outfits looks suitably fabulous, and she pulls the punk look off very well here.

Yup, I remember back when "Suited For Success" came out, a lot of people were reacting, "WHY DO THESE HORSE DRESSES LOOK SO GREAT?!" It really is a credit to this series that it has as many outfits as it does, yet I can't recall any that looked below decent without that being the intention.

On another note, looking at Derpibooru, I think there's a pretty good chance Raripunk will get her own Drawfriend on ED.

Music video for "Rainbow" by Sia was leaked, and it has a bunch of movie clips, including apparently from the ending. I didn't watch the video, but the GIFs I saw are seriously pretty.

Most of the clips are either from the very end of the movie or at the beginning when they're preparing for the friendship festival. Intermixed between the movie clips is a dancer and and I'm sorry but a lot of the dancing is so silly that I can't take it seriously. It also doesn't help that I keep thinking of the Enchantress from Suicide Squad when watching it which just makes it more funny to me. There isn't any real narrative that I can find and realistically you could rearrange the clips around and very little would change IMO. Of course it's possible I'm not cultured enough to understand what the symbolism of some dancer that looks like Sia flailing around in water is supposed to be. For what it's worth most people seem to enjoy it a lot more then I did.

The actual movie clips look REALLY good though, although that almost feels like a given at this point. Most of the ones that they went for were ones that either looked cool (like shots of some ponies flying around showing off Canterlot) or had a lot of emotion in them. The video isn't super spoiler-heavy I feel.

Perhaps the biggest reason why Fluttershy is worst pony. You don't see someone as refined and perfect as Rarity making disgusting anime references, do you?

Huh? What's wrong with that statement from Celestia?

IDK if the actual show has confirmed it yet but presumably Celestia has met Starswirl before and that statement would indicate that she's more powerful then him. Either the statement was made back before they introduced a bunch of characters that are way more powerful then she is and is no longer accurate or they haven't shown her "magical potential" well at all in the show. The most magically impressive thing she's done in 7 seasons (not including Twilight's Kingdom for obvious reasons) is freeze 50 or so people in place, and that was exceedingly difficult for her. Starswirl has created countless spells as well as fought dangerous monsters largely by himself, Cadence and Shining Armor were both capable of creating giant shields around entire cities, and Starlight is at the very least roughly as powerful as Twilight is even if you ignore that Starlight has shown way more creativity in actually creating new magic in her short time on the show then Twilight's shown. It is possible that Celestia's statement is still accurate, but it hasn't really been reinforced in the show at all. Right now she feels like she's not even remotely close to being as powerful as any of the princesses, her brother, or Starswirl and even worse her power level hasn't visibly increased all that much even if you're comparing her to how she was in season 1.

As for Rainbow Power, I feel like it's more that they didn't want the characters to have an instant win button that they'd have to write around. I would have preferred an actual explanation for why they don't use it, though.

Yup, I remember back when "Suited For Success" came out, a lot of people were reacting, "WHY DO THESE HORSE DRESSES LOOK SO GREAT?!" It really is a credit to this series that it has as many outfits as it does, yet I can't recall any that looked below decent without that being the intention.

Even if the powers didn't cause massive narrative headaches they probably would have abandoned them just because of how poorly they were received.

There were a couple of outfits in season 2 and 4 I want to say that were pretty mediocre. But yeah their track record is generally speaking really good.

Also I have no idea why but I'm going to link this

The actual movie clips look REALLY good though, although that almost feels like a given at this point. Most of the ones that they went for were ones that either looked cool (like shots of some ponies flying around showing off Canterlot) or had a lot of emotion in them. The video isn't super spoiler-heavy I feel.

My favorite shot is that one with Twilight, but I do think it's pretty spoilery.

Perhaps the biggest reason why Fluttershy is worst pony. You don't see someone as refined and perfect as Rarity making disgusting anime references, do you?

thumb.png
small.png

Source 1
Source 2

IDK if the actual show has confirmed it yet but presumably Celestia has met Starswirl before and that statement would indicate that she's more powerful then him.

"Luna Eclipsed" indicated that Luna met Starswirl in person. While I don't believe anything else in the show or EQG stated definitely that the sisters met him, supplemental material is pretty consistent about them meeting him while they were fillies and he was already old. Typically when people talk about potential, it's used for young or inexperienced people, not people who are already experts in their field. That is to say, Starswirl didn't have much potential left, since he was already skilled.

Even if the powers didn't cause massive narrative headaches they probably would have abandoned them just because of how poorly they were received.
I think Twilight's Rainbow Power form is nice, but the others really needed to be toned down.

Also I have no idea why but I'm going to link this
sss

And there's a ton of things to cover for today's followup, so I'll split it up. It's all cameos, hairstyles, and faces in this post.

Apple Bloom talking to Burnt Oak (embedded)
Grand Pear with Granny Smith (embedded)
Diamond Tiara (embedded) - Still with her voice gone after all her singing in "Crusaders of the Lost Mark".
Caramel got busy - Also, more time warping, unless Caramel and Sassaflash already had a child back in "Hearts and Hooves Day"
Background punks
Punk Derpy (embedded)
medium.png
thumb.png
small.png
medium.png

Bon Boop
thumb.gif

Rarity hairstyles, all embedded, all fabulous
Crystal pony mane
Bonnet
Cloud
Grass
small.png
thumb.png
thumb.png
small.png

Rarity faces, all embedded, all amazing
Between Twilight and Starlight
In a dress
On couch
After failed spell
small.png
thumb.png
small.png
small.jpeg

Knocking away the lights
Edit - Rarity tries to join in
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

Also, though it doesn't quite fit the theme of this post...
medium.png

That was a pretty meh episode, but I always loved that they made an Utena reference there.

thumb.gif

(source)

Episode roundup. I'll edit in other screenshots and GIFs later.
EDIT: And there they are.

NOTES
Oh hey, the credits list Bon Bon as Bon Bon, instead of Sweetie Drops.

The fan salespony, Mr. Breezy, is a season 1 background character, from "The Show Stoppers". The CMC bought a fan from him for their performance. Come to think of it, I'm surprised I haven't seen any art of Raripunk with the CMC from that episode.

As ED's followup points out, Daisy was one of the anti-Rarity ponies.
1537279__safe_screencap_daisy_flower%252Bwishes_fame%252Band%252Bmisfortune_spoiler-colon-s07e14_anti-dash-rarity%252Bsign_cropped_solo%252Bfocus.jpeg

This is the first canonical usage of the name Davenport for the sofas and quills pony.

I hadn't noticed that Rarity's first mane was taken from a crystal pony. And it's apparently actually crystal, hence it shattering.

SCREENSHOTS
No Bon Bon! Don't get tempted!
Edit - Pinkie goes "A Friend in Deed" on Rarity
Edit - Just fuck my shit up darling
Marshmallow with whipped cream
Garfield Rarity
Comparison of Punklight Sparkle and Raripunk
Smitten Rainbow Dash - Honestly surprised there isn't fan art of this yet.
VAIN Magazine
Magazine page with Rarity's butt tail
Edit - Photo Finish and Rarity's tail butt
Magazine spread with Pinkie and the baby Cakes

GIFS
Flower trio assemble!
Bon Bon leaves without paying, and Lily notices this
Rarity with fans
Pinkie accordion (embedded)
Rarity scaring away spooky eyes
thumb.gif

Infinitely curling curl (embedded)
What Zecora should have said 1
What Zecora should have said 2
thumb.gif

Twilight: Cut it out
Stealing the crystal mane
Double unicorn spell
Cute hopping (embedded)
Opal coming out of the ice cream bin
thumb.gif

Excited Rainbow
Twilight's quick barrier spell (embedded)
thumb.gif

FAN CONTENT
I think I'll just focus on "It Isn't the Mane Thing About You". ED didn't have a devoted Drawfriend to Raripunk, but she took up a decent dunk of today's.

To the max by thediscorded
Punk Rarity by raikoh
the punk pone has arrived by TheAnthroPony
Tothemaxbythediscorded1505689122223.png
bykartoonkorner1505689123128.jpg
thepunkponehasarrivedbyTheAnthroPony1505689122762.png

Removal to Rarity by AssasinMonkey
RariPunk by Rizzych
RariPunk by StormBlaze-Pegasus
RemovaltoRaritybyAssasinMonkey1505689123276.png
RariPunkbyRizzych1505689123354.png
RariPunkbyStormBlazePegasus1505689124274.png

Raripunk by MomoMistress
Crazy Mane Rarity by Joakaha
Rarity by Ognevitsa
RaripunkbyMomoMistress1505689124579.png
MLPFIMCrazyManeRaritybyJoakaha1505689124930.jpg
MLPFIMRaritySeason7Episode19byOgnevitsa1505689126662.png

Rarity new hairstyle by Taneysha
Raripunk by Pony-Way
It's Not So Bad by Ryhaal
RaritynewhairstylebyTaneysha1505689128810.png
RaripunkbyPonyWay1505689127672.png
ItsNotSoBadbyRyhaal1505689129142.png

Rarity's Confidence by Jazzerix
Rare just enjoying some purple rain by themodpony
Raripunk by lilfunkman - *checking tumblr to see if it's safe to directly link* Now let's see oh shit it's a good fan artist that regularly draws RariLight I mean alright this tumblr seems safe to link good show I say.
RaritysConfidencebyJazzerix1505689127851.png
thumb.png
thumb.png

Rock 'n Rarity by Hazardous-Jackdawze
Bald Rarity by mysticalpha
Another Punk Rarity drawing by raikoh
thumb.png
BaldRaritybymysticalpha1505593772899.jpg
thumb.jpeg

Punk Rarity by DinoDraketakethecake
Rarity Rocks by Earthsong9405
Rarity as Punk by PaganMuffin
thumb.jpeg
thumb.jpeg
thumb.png

Rarity New Hairstyle Humanized by YumeYuuheii
Punkity by Celeb-Yoshi
Shining from the Inside by JonFawkes - Embedded is a cropped version from his tumblr.
thumb.jpeg
thumb.png
thumb.jpeg

Raripunk by marsminer
New mane style by tcn1205
Where is my electric guitar? by flutterthrash
thumb.png
small.png
small.png

Raripunk by magiak416
Mane thing about you by BrekrofMadness
Edgy Rarity (Shaded) by LegendDestroye
small.jpeg
small.jpeg
thumb.png

It's Punk Rock Darling! by LennonBlack
The Manes of Rarity by Doodle-Mark
Punkity by Faline-art
thumb.png
small.jpeg
small.png

It's the mane thing about you by calenita - All have different music based styles.
medium.jpeg

I think this is fine, but it's marked suggestive on Derpibooru, so I'll just link it to be safe. Humanized Raripunk by ponut_joe

Iffy on this, so I'll just link it. The Mane Plot by lumineko, depicting when Photo Finish takes that picture of Rarity's butt tail butt.

Edit of a SEASON 8 SPOILER COMIC by underpable to include Rarity's butt

Oh, and I guess there were other characters too
Derpy Style by lachlan765
Zecora Surprised by JustSomePainter11
DerpyStylebylachlan7651505689129892.png
small.jpeg

Comic
Colour Co-ordination by BobTheDalek - Focused on the flower trio.
Mane Tail by Underpable (embedded)
medium.png

OK seriously, how was ED not able to make a Drawfriend devoted to Rarity today?

EDIT: Not really related to the episode, but I saw this slowed down version of Rarity's kick from "Return of Harmony" in some image's comments, and holy shit
thumb.gif

You'd think Rarity hit Applejack with her right leg way out front, but no, she really hit her with her left leg with a spin that you have to slow down to notice. Rarity too strong, pls nerf

So, "A Health of Information" is out in Russian. They're airing new episodes daily, and seem to be following production order, so the next two episodes are ones we've already seen, but if they continue, the rest of the season will air early.

And even if they don't, Poland is airing episode 24 on October 19, then 25 and 26 on October 20.

The Russian episodes were apparently reruns after Health of Information so it's just that one for now.

The TV spots are alright. The first one is a pretty standard ad with an original song performed by Sia, the second is them showing off all the guest voice talent they have with an original song performed by Sia, and the third is them saying that MLP is finally getting a theatrical movie with an original song performed by Sia. They aren't stellar and they STILL have fucked up shadowing but they're not terrible and the big point of them is just to inform people it exists anyway. Hopefully this means that they've got a decent ad campaign planned.

The episode I feel had a massive and obvious joke that they didn't even go for.
Why didn't Fluttershy want to be turned into a tree? There were a couple laughs here and there but overall I feel like this kinda episode just isn't my style. It was kinda unsettling having such high stakes in an MLP episode because Swamp Fever was terrifying. That sounds like a horrible way to go. It kinda reminded me of Over the Garden Wall if any of you have watched that, and if you haven't go and do that right now. You know when they said that Mage just randomly disappeared my first assumption was that she got Swamp Fever and turned into a tree, but I guess that was a red herring of sorts. It's also really jarring that they have the Doctor who did nothing wrong getting Swamp Fever as being some sort of joke, because if Fluttershy hadn't found a cure (And the doctor didn't know if they did) then they would have been responsible for him as well. Aside from those nitpicks I didn't care that much for it. The story was alright but it wasn't super funny and didn't have particularly good character interactions. (That guy that they threw in didn't really have much of a personality so he kind of wasted potential I feel) Overall I didn't hate it but I feel like it just isn't for me.

EDIT: For what it's worth, the Official Trailer 2 upload on Hasbro's channel for the movie has almost 5.5 Million views in 5 days. That's actually pretty dang good for such a short time span and is roughly comparable to how many views a lot of animated movies end up getting. It's not VIRAL numbers but it's pretty solid. To compare Coco's latest trailer dropped at roughly the same time and the most viewed version of that has 1.1M views. Not saying that it's going to outperform Coco or anything but I do think that it is promising. That being said it's a lot more views then what Trailer 1 got so maybe it's being used as a commercial on Youtube which adds to the views.

The first and third were alright. For the second, all the "look at these actors!" stuff was forced. Is this the first time we've actually heard Skystar, Novo, and Songbird speak? Novo really doesn't fit what I expected, but the commercial clearly chose a weird line for her.

Weirdly, the scene of Pinkie's cake falling on Twilight is different from the first trailer. If you recall, it fell in tiers while everyone made funny faces there; here, it all falls at once. I hope the version from the first trailer is what's in the movie. FAKE EDIT: Well, thanks to Derpibooru detectives, I now know it's actually a rough edit, recognizable from how the ponies jump from one frame to the next. The same applies to background objects showing they cut out Twilight yelling out, "Pinkie!" before the candle lands on her.

GIFs:
Pretty pegasus flying
Rarity's telekinesis continues to be OP

Speaking of Rarity,
Rocking this mane by GaelleDragons
New style by utauYan
Punk Rarity by Scarlet-Spectrum
RockingthismaneavaliableasshirtbyGaelleDragons1505772428288.png
NewstylebyutauYan1505772428023.png
PunkRaritybyScarletSpectrum1505772428486.png

S7E19 Rarity by tyuubatu
PnD by JumbleHorse
New style baby by FJ-C
S7E19Raritybytyuubatu1505772428814.jpg
PnDbyJumbleHorse1505772429719.png
thumb.png

Pinkie and Rarity by euphoriapony
Turn Trouble into Fashion by Helmie-D
Punk hair Rarity by MLP-Firefox5013
small.png
thumb.png
thumb.png

Oh, here's the RariDash art!
Shine from the inside out by creeate97
And of course, Raridashdoodles was all over this, with a ton of images, only two below.
small.png
small.jpeg
small.jpeg

Pointy Ponies - It Isn't the Mane Thing About You by agrol
thumb.gif

Rarity punk hair plushie by Legadema
21875529_1462657650479629_1781831748_o.jpg

Comic (sort of) - All Mane by vavacung - Art of every Rarity mane-style in the episode.

Oh, and have some non-Raripunk art. It's still Rarity, though.
At least someone's having fun by StarBlaze25
thumb.jpeg

At this rate, if I don't make an art post every day, I'll get swamped on Friday! Though she only has 3/4 right now, Raripunk has pretty consistently dominated Derpibooru's trending images recently. One person in the comments said she's getting art more quickly than Daybreaker, and I believe them!

22. Uncommon Bond
10/21/2017
When Starlight gets a visit from Sunburst, she discovers that he has tons in common with her friends and starts to wonder if he still has anything in common with her.

Zap2It
#sunburstlives
#alltheships

Also, I guess there's some episode rearranging, and we do have a break, but it's longer than the week break I expected. "Marks and Recreations" airs on September 30, and there isn't a new episode until October 21. Poland will air the entire rest of the season before this airs.

The Sia music video for the movie has been uploaded to her Vimeo. You can find it here. Worth mentioning that this is in all likelihood going to be the most exposure that the movie will end up getting for people that aren't already going to go see it since I anticipate it will probably get 10s of millions of views.

Also one of the reels that they showed back at comicon showing off the voice talent for the movie was uploaded as well with an original song performed by Sia. It was uploaded to youtube briefly but was taken down later so it's probably new for most of you. At any rate, the youtube link for it ishere.

Also the premise for the upcoming episode is really promising. I've been really hoping for more interactions between Starlight and the Mane 6 as well as more Sunburst and it looks like we'll be killing two birds with one stone with this one.

EDIT: They look like they're going deep with the marketing now as Lionsgate has released another 360 video thingy similar to the seapony one they did a couple months back. Here is the one from today featuring the parrot pirates. It also has an instrumental version of "Time to be Awesome" playing in the background. I don't know if it's me but the picture is fairly unclear so idk.

Also one of the reels that they showed back at comicon showing off the voice talent for the movie was uploaded as well with an original song performed by Sia. It was uploaded to youtube briefly but was taken down later so it's probably new for most of you. At any rate, the youtube link for it ishere.

Not much to say about the voice actor segments (other than it still being weird to see Rainbow's voice come out of Ashleigh Ball's mouth), but the movie clips are neat.

Also the premise for the upcoming episode is really promising. I've been really hoping for more interactions between Starlight and the Mane 6 as well as more Sunburst and it looks like we'll be killing two birds with one stone with this one.

I'm curious to see how Sunburst gets along with the Mane Six. Twilight seems obvious enough, but Rainbow Dash and Rarity are harder to imagine. And is Trixie included in the group of Starlight's friends?

EDIT: They look like they're going deep with the marketing now as Lionsgate has released another 360 video thingy similar to the seapony one they did a couple months back. Here is the one from today featuring the parrot pirates. It also has an instrumental version of "Time to be Awesome" playing in the background. I don't know if it's me but the picture is fairly unclear so idk.

It's less interesting than the seapony version, which had more things to see, and it's kind of weird getting this so late. Still, it and the bit of the song in it are neat.

There will be a sneak peak of the movie after America's Got Talent tomorrow (9/20) at 8 PM ET. No details on what it will be, but hey, at least they are actually attempting to advertise it now.

New expansion for the Tails of Equestria official RPG: The Festival of Lights
Tails%2Bof%2BEquestria%2BFestival%2Bof%2BLights%2B.png

Step into Umberfoal, an ancient city beneath the Badlands in the southern reaches of Equestria. Umberfoal is sheltered from the world, but plagued by threats from deeper in the darkness – and it needs your help! Can you delve into deepest lakes and darkest cave to face the dangers within? Will you be able to help the ponies of Umberfoal hold their ancient and magical ritual, the Festival of Lights?

The Festival of Lights explores the mysterious city of Umberfoal, and is perfect for pony characters levels 2 to 5. Players will encounter new creatures, new friends and lots of classic dungeon delving adventures all in the exciting and perilous depths beneath Equestria.

The Tails of Equestria rulebook is required to play this adventure.

Umberfoal is apparently a parody of the Underdark from DnD.

No more Raripunk today (though a bunch of new art did come in), because I was working on this:
3CGdBp8h.png

With the world premiere coming up soon, I figured it was time to make this. I placed particularly unlikely things on spaces that don't form a line through the middle, and largely avoided story-related options because we already know so much. Images coming later; the ones there are reused from the season 7 bingo card. Blank template.

McDonalds is doing MLP + Transformers toys for October which apparently is kinda standard but it also coincides with the movie so it's kind advertising for it.

The blurbs for the two-part finale have been released as well:

Part 1 "When Sunburst discovers the lost journal of Starswirl the Bearded, Twilight becomes obsessed with saving her magical idol from a thousand-year-old prison."

Part 2 "With Starswirl and the other Pillars of Old Equestria back from limbo (where they've been trapped for a thousand years), Twilight and her friends must work together to defeat the Pony of Shadows."

So I guess we found out (Spoilers for this weekend's episode) [spoilers]where Mage Meadowbrook ended up disappearing to.[/spoiler] I was expecting the payoff of all the legends that they were introducing to be that the Mane 6 would fight some big evil that the legends stopped a long time ago. I wasn't actually expecting them to make an appearance in the episode so will make the first time we'll actually see Starswirl the Bearded. This actually makes episode 22 make even more sense because Sunburst is presumably going to play a role in the 2-parter as well given that him finding the book is what sets the episodes plans in motion so it's good that his relationship with the Mane 6 will be established in that episode. Hopefully that means that Sunburst and Starlight will be tagging along for the adventure as well. Either way it sounds like a really cool setup for a 2-parter and I'm really excited for it.

The "sneak peek" of the MLP movie for America's Got Talent was just a 1 minute TV spot and IMO it's the worst trailer/spot they've done for it so far. It's like a combination of the intro of the first Trailer and the "look at all the celebs we got" tv spot and I feel like it's not very good at selling the movie. You can find it here

I'll do bingo stuff at some point idk

Woah, I guess all the stuff in Legends of Magic about Sunburst rooting through Starswirl's old documents turned out to be significant in and of itself. It's a shame that the second half's synopsis already reveals that Starswirl will be freed; that would have been a nice surprise. It will be interesting to get an actual explanation about what happened to him, and apparently the other Legends of Magic. I remember that back in the season 2 days, a common theory was that Discord was Starswirl, having been corrupted in some way. Though it fell out of favor, it was never truly debunked until now.

Will he and the other heroes stick around? Or will they fade away to leave things up to the new generation? Or will they transform into power armor for the Mane Six?

And what's up with the Pony of Shadows? "Castle Mane-ia" had Applejack claim it was a remnant of Nightmare Moon, so does that mean Nightmare Moon imprisoned all of them? How does that tie into the monster we saw in the Shadow Lock arc of the comics?

And is this story where Somnambula's Pinkie-like personality actually comes from?

It's also a shock in general that Sunburst is playing a part in this finale. It's weird how he was introduced in the season 6 premiere, then proceeded not to do anything of note even when he was present in the story. Though come to think of it, the synopsis of "The Times They Are a a Changeling" made it sound like he was important to that story too, so maybe he isn't actually that important to this.

I just had a thought. It would be absolutely hilarious if it turned out the Apple Parents were captured by the Pony of Shadows all along, and they get freed here.

As for the MLP Movie sneak peak, yeah, not much that's too exciting, besides maybe confirmation of wet mane Rarity. I was kind of hoping they'd just straight up show the starting song, like the original teaser of The Lion King.

MLP Season 7 sizzle reel, which we saw camera screenshots of earlier. In context, it's definitely clear that a bunch of clips are from "Secrets and Pies". Others are from "Once Upon a Zeppelin", "A Health of Information", and of course, "It Isn't the Mane Thing About You".

Besides the "Shadow Play" synopsis, the Discovery Family October Highlights has the show's schedule.

Once Upon a Zeppelin - October 7
Secrets and Pies - October 14
Uncommon Bond - October 21
Shadow Play - October 28

So, no break after all. And there is indeed an episode airing the weekend of the movie premiere. Odd choice, but OK. Poland will still air "Uncommon Bond" and "Shadow Play" early, on October 19 and 20 respectively.

December comic solicitations

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #61
MLP_FiM_61_CVR_A.png
MLP_FiM_61_CVR_B.png

Ted Anderson (w) • Andy Price (a & CVR A) • Sara Richard (CVR B) • Jennifer Meyer (CVR RI)
Representatives of ponies, griffons, buffalos, changelings, dragons and more meet to discuss the future of the land! But what happens when a sudden discovery threatens to redraw the map of Equestria?

My Little Pony: Legends of Magic #9
MLP_LoM_9_CVR_A.png

Jeremy Whitley (w) • Tony Fleecs (a & CVR A) • Heather Breckel (c) • Brenda Hickey (CVR B) • Monica Grover (CVR RI)
Tensions between new allies could unravel the great quest before it begins!

My Little Pony: Holiday Special 2017
MLP_HS_2017_CVR_A.png
MLP_HS_2017_CVR_B.png

James Asmus (w) • Brenda Hickey (a & CVR A) • Heather Breckel (c) • Andy Price (CVR B & CVR RI)
The New Year is around the corner, and the ponies of Equestria are ready to celebrate in some very silly and unexpected ways! (Except Pinkie Pie. Her celebrations are always silly and unexpected.)

Still not feeling the story of the main series issue. The Legends of Magic issues are becoming almost annoyingly vague now. Plus, it's weird following them knowing that they're doomed to be captured by the Pony of Shadows.

The Holiday Special covers are based on the Christmas album cover of "Jingle Bells", where Rainbow Dash drags other ponies onto a sleigh pulled by her. Though the synopsis is vague here too, I believe this is first time we've seen New Years addressed in Ponyland. It sounds like an anthology.

Oh, and a bit of Rarity.
It Isn't the Mane Thing About You by Fensu-San - There are crowd comments in the background.
Alolan Form Rarity by imDRUNKonTEA - Based on the cloud wig, if you forgot.
Rarity by Koveliana
ItIsnttheManeThingAboutYoubyFensuSan1505854939730.png
AlolanFormRaritybyimDRUNKonTEA1505854940199.jpg
RaritybyKoveliana1505854941072.png

Shampoo by dsp2003
Punk Rarity by TheSoleil
Rarity Punk by RacoonKun
MLPFiMShampoobydsp20031505854941213.png
PunkRaritybyTheSoleil1505854941761.png
RarityPunkbyRacoonKun1505936325520.jpg

Punk Rarity by Ferasor
Rarity punk by RedchetGreen
Punkity by HareTrinity
PunkRaritybyFerasor1505936326350.png
RaritypunkbyRedchetGreen1505936327624.jpg
PunkitybyHareTrinity1505936328227.png

Shine Inside Out by InuHoshi-to-DarkPen
Your turn by rvceric - Yu-Gi-Oh Rarity.
thumb.png
thumb.png

Punk Couple by 3D4D
Punk Rarity by Tsitra360
small.png
small.png

Oh, and because of course we do, we have fan art of the Netflix Happy Birthday video, by vavacung.
FanArtBirthdaybyvavacung1505936327175.png

The soundtrack for the movie is out now. In addition to being available on Amazon it's also playable on Spotify. Some vague impressions:

We Got This Together was great. Rarity's part was probably the weakest since the dialogue is trying too hard to be "Art of the Dress" even though the actual accompanying music just doesn't fit it IMO. Everything else is great

I'm the Friend you Need has an Arabian kinda theme to it. Doesn't sound like it advances the plot forward in any way and I don't care for the music. Pretty meh and I'm expecting this song to be pretty forgettable

Time to be Awesome sounds awesome. I love all the pots and pans banging around in the background, it's a really creative way to fill out the sound. The instrumental at the end sounds spectacular as well.

One Small Thing might just be my favorite. The first half is so catchy, I can't help but smile like an idiot during it. The part where the rest of the Mane 6 join in is kinda iffy but I love everything else.

Open Up Your Eyes starts off a bit slow but once the orchestra kicks in god damn. I feel like the visuals are going to be the thing that really makes this song I can imagine that one picture we saw with the two characters in this song and how a scene with that setting would be really bolstered by this song.

Overall if I had to do some stupid power rankings after listening to them once without the visuals it would probably be:

1. One Small Thing

2-4. All the other songs besides I'm the Friend You Need

5. I'm the Friend you need.

I'm the Friend you need sounds really unnecessary and feels like it exists so the main character in it has a song. It could be removed and I feel like the movie would likely play out the exact same way. All the other ones sound absolutely fantastic and are really bolstered by the live orchestra backing them. 4 out of 5 being home runs is pretty damn good and Daniel definitely didn't disappoint for me.

One small thing's ending is going to feel like dogshit given what happens before/after it though. The end of the song talks about being thankful and trying to pay back the ponies for being nice... Fucking Twilight man

Top Bottom