• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

mintylurb

-snip
I called Sony the next day and they didn't make me go through any BS troubleshooting steps or anything and offered to send me a coffin overnight instantly. Since this was on Sunday, I didn't get the box until Tuesday night and due to new years, I couldn't ship it out until today.
-snip
:(

Which number did you call? was it 800-345-SONY?

Anyone not getting notification pop ups, all of a sudden I dont get anything, messages, trophy pop ups, everything is checked in notification option in settings, this console is so janky right now.

edit: Ok fixed this by booting into safe mode then "rebuild database", if anyone else runs into this problem that should fix it.

Same probs with netflix. Especially when backing out and going back fast. Only crashes I've had involved netflix.

The Netflix app needs patching ASAP. Every time I've attempted to close the app, it completely locks up the PS4. Only way to get the console to respond, short of unplugging it, is holding the power button down for a really long time until it finally shuts down.

It's odd that so many people are having issues with the Netflix app and I am not. It almost seems 50/50 if you have issues with that app. I wonder if it's a HDD issue?

R-User!

Edit:2 Clicked off surge protector, manually ejected Bond Film, power surge back on, powered PS4 on, waited for system check, all seems good for now.....

Was in the middle of a Resogun Level and out of nowhere my system lost video signal and there was nothing. This was over half an hour ago. Both buttons on the PS4 are non-responsive: power won't do anything if held indefinitely, and eject won't spit out (ironically - Bond Film #8 - "Live and Let Die"), and I can still hear that the system is on (the fan is humming quietly).

Tried taking out just the HDMI cable and re-inserting it and THEN holding down the power button to no avail..

Ideally I would love for there to be a solution/explanation as to why the system would crap out in the middle of a game like that when it has been working since Christmas Day with no issues to speak of. No Netflix glitches, No PS Store glitches, no hangs or crashes, no loud drive noises or blu-ray drive clicks.

Thanks for the help.

what firmware?
purchased from where?
Amazon
what is your A/V set up like?
PS4 HDMI out into a Yamaha Receiver into a Panny Plasma from 2010. Have had no issues with connectivity with any consoles prior or with the PS4 either.
what resolution do you want to output in?
1080P
were you able to get any video signal or none at all?
No video signal recovered once it was lost.
can you hear audio?
Only audio I can hear is the fan from the PS4

Should I just unplug the power cable? Is this my only choice if the the Power Button on the front of the system is non-responsive?

mintylurb

Chatting with Sony support..
Told him how I tried fixing the system and he asked where I got the information on how
to initialize the console, rebuild hdd, reinstall fw..and asking from where I got the console.

So, they're going to send me a re-certified system once they receive/inspect my returned system.
This is just going to be like the whole 360 rrod fiasco...except the launch 360 I had lasted more than a month..-____-

Chatting with Sony support..
Told him how I tried fixing the system and he asked where I got the information on how
to initialize the console, rebuild hdd, reinstall fw..and asking from where I got the console.

So, they're going to send me a re-certified system once they receive/inspect my returned system.
This is just going to be like the whole 360 rrod fiasco...except the launch 360 I had lasted more than a month..-____-

I highly doubt that although the length of this thread is worrisome I admit.

I just put in a movie DVD and my PS4 is loading and loading. I closed the application, checked the disc (perfectly fine), retried, same problem. Then I tried another DVD and a Bluray. Both are stuck on the loading screen, too.

The firmware is 1.52 and I successfully played BF4 (via disc) for over 2 weeks now, without any problems. I haven't tried other movies before.

What can I do?

EDIT:

I just found out that when the PS4 is not connected to the Internet both, DVD and Bluray, work without any problem.

monkey pickle

Neo Member
So last night while playing AC4 my R2 trigger totally stopped working. After calling sony I have to send it in and wait for a replacement. Has anyone had this problem?

def sim

They aren't doing overnight shipping for the bunk replacement they sent me, so this may actually take a while.

Terrible service so far. It seemed promising initially.

Is it normal that the console sounds like a place with kz Shadow fall? I have the game disc, but now I Downloaded ac4 played for a few min and it barely make any sound the same with other Downloaded games ( warfrsme resogun) , is kz that demanding?

Killzone was in my console before it started making noises too.

StewboaT_

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is a fault of the PSN, or if my systems network card is haywire. I have an internet connection of 20Mbps down, but my PS4 only estimates me to have anywhere from 1 - 3 Mbps at any given time. I'm directly connected to my router, with the same cable I used for my ps3, which gave me 18 Mbps back in the day.

Is anyone else having this issue? Are there any solutions?

Cheers!

FaintDeftone

Question: Did anybody get an email telling them that their replacement console shipped prior to actually receiving it?

I didn't get an email saying they shipped my box until after I received it and already sent the damn thing out.

It has been two weeks and they have had my console for over one week and I have still not gotten a replacement. The status on their online service check hasn't changed either. I'm starting to get a bit impatient here. The support tech on the phone assured me that as soon as they received my console, a new one would be shipped out. This sucks.

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
Recently, I noticed that my PS4 stutters/freezes temporarily during startup (after selecting my log-in). Right before the "user has logged in" prompt appears on the top right, my console freezes for .5 - 1 second.

This just started happening. I know it's nothing serious but it kind of annoys me every time I boot up the console.

Any ideas - i tried rebuilding the database (didn't fix the issue) and after contacting sony support they want me to reformat the console...

mf.luder

Recently, I noticed that my PS4 stutters/freezes temporarily during startup (after selecting my log-in). Right before the "user has logged in" prompt appears on the top right, my console freezes for .5 - 1 second.

This just started happening. I know it's nothing serious but it kind of annoys me every time I boot up the console.

Any ideas - i tried rebuilding the database (didn't fix the issue) and after contacting sony support they want me to reformat the console...

I have mine set to auto log in and when health/safety displays it appears to stop for a second at this same moment. I just assumed that this was normal behaviour. But overall I find the OS is very laggy.

My previous post.

Confirmed: the Dualshock 4 controllers do NOT have the same Bluetooth range as a DS3. I have my PS4 in a media cabinet alongside a PS3 and Wii U, with a good friend of mine having a similar setup with a PS3 and 360 at his home. We both have the same problem where the DS4 will randomly have huge latency or have an input stick: i.e. uncontrollably staring into the sky in KZ and spinning in a circle. So, on day 30 of ownership - I returned my launch PS4 to Amazon for a new one, but that solved nothing. So I know for sure this is a design shortfall, however I think I have found a solution:

• Buy a stand.
  • Rotate the PS4 around until you find the best connection.

This issue is beyond annoying for my friend and I, however we do have a wall separating our consoles from where we play - so I can understand why this isn't a widespread phenomenon.

Man this thread is terrifying to read. My issue, when I first got my system I set up both my phone and my vita to connect to the ps4 and it worked fine. I've noticed recently that while remote play works perfectly fine my vita nor my phone no longer detects the ps4 when I try to use them as a second screen. Any one know why this is happening or if there's a fix?

White Man

The Hulu app has frozen my system in the same way the Netlix app has. The Hulu app only did it once, though. The Netflix app has done it 3 times, all in the past two weeks.

wowlace

My PS4 had the random disc eject issue. Sent it off a couple of days ago. Gotta say sony support in Australia is good. No hold times at all and no issues getting a replacement sent out.

Mengetsu

The Hulu app has frozen my system in the same way the Netlix app has. The Hulu app only did it once, though. The Netflix app has done it 3 times, all in the past two weeks.
This happens to me also...I just stopped using Hulu until a fix. I don't like my PS4 freezing like that and cutting off.

My launch ps4 seems to be dead :(

The blu ray drive is the issue, it keeps ejecting disc even if there is none. The issue is pretty random. I don't know if I call sony for a repair or use the amazon return policy ...

You guys are making me nervous.

Managed to squeeze into Amazon's next shipment of back-ordered PS4's to be delivered on Jan 21st.

Now I'm wondering whether to cancel my order and splurge on a nice 7.1 headset or something. Wait a little while and buy a PS4 later when a few more games are out and maybe hardware/software issues have been resolved. I'm glad I get most of my things from Amazon for their amazing return policies.

Hey guys,

This may not be the place for this, but I don't know where else to go.

I think I'm having HDCP problems with my receiver, though I'm not much of a technophile. I bought an Onkyo TX-NR414 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077V88YU/?tag=neogaf0e-20) in April '13 as a gaming hub to my Panasonic plasma and the thing worked well for several months. Around August or September, I started to lose audio and video from my PS3 intermittently and eventually couldn't maintain a signal long enough to get any output at all. Got my PS4 in November and it has never produced an output through the Onkyo. Meanwhile, I have had a 360 and Wii U running through the HDMI with no problems whatsoever.

I called Onkyo who had me ship the receiver to a third party repair service in California. They said that they weren't able to reproduce the issue, but they were testing through some random BR player and not a Playstation of any kind. The tech said to check the quality of my cables and that he would turn off ARC, Deep Color and some other extraneous features to try to make the signal... simpler, I guess? Anyway, it came back yesterday and the damn thing still isn't taking orders from my PS3 or PS4. Having googled this thing heavily, I'm not an isolated case, and the people asking this question are frequently Onkyo users. It's hard to tell whether this is a common issue with this particular receiver or I've just been sent a malfunctioning unit. Firmware is updated on all systems and receiver.

I guess my questions are:
1) Have you guys experienced this problem? If so, what kind of receiver were you using?
2) Is it a worthwhile venture to look into some high speed HDMI cables? For PS4 and WiiU, I have been using the ones that came in the box. Couldn't for the life of me tell you what my other HDMI cables are, but shuffling them around always gets the same results. WiiU and 360 are fine, Playstations get nowhere.
3) Are there any receivers that you would recommend to me? I imagine Sony products would not have this issue, but I will use anything as long as it has 5.1 and 4 HDMI inputs.

Thanks, and sorry if this is off topic.

MrZekToR

Banned
I get the impression that quite a few PS4's are dying - eventually. The PS4 could end up suffering the same fate as the RROD that the 360 experienced.

Thing is, the 360 was largely a single problem. The PS4 seems to have various different problems. Which in itself is a bad thing.

I think I will hold off until the next hardware revision of the platform.

Grinchy

Banned
Well, here's a weird one. I'm on my 2nd PS4. I just plugged my controller in and put the system into standby. As it was winding down into standby, it started beeping like crazy and it spit out my Killzone disc. It then began doing a weird "breathing" loud fan noise. It would have a loud fan go for a few seconds, then it would have no fan for a few seconds, and this repeated indefinitely, like it was struggling to breathe.

I turned it off immediately. I let it sit for a few minutes and turned it back on. It gave me a bunch of the 3 beep warnings over and over again and continued doing the breathing loud fan routine. I got scared so I turned it back off. While it was off, I decided to unplug everything from it and plug it back in. While I was unplugging, it was beeping. Even after I had unplugged the power, it continued to beep. This freaked me out.

The beeping finally stopped and I plugged everything back in. When I turned it on again, it turned on normally and the fans were no longer doing anything weird. This is going to be some hard shit to explain to a person over the phone if I have to send this in to Sony.

Grinchy

Banned
Are you sure it was the fan and not the bluray drive ?

Nope definitely not sure, but it sounded like a fan at the time. I actually have never heard the PS4 fan, though. Both my systems have run super quiet. I suppose it could have been the blu ray drive since it had just spit out my disc right beforehand. I've been using the system all night and it has been working fine ever since. I hope it was just a fluke. I don't want to be on my 3rd PS4 :(

MrZekToR

Banned
Nope definitely not sure, but it sounded like a fan at the time. I actually have never heard the PS4 fan, though. Both my systems have run super quiet. I suppose it could have been the blu ray drive since it had just spit out my disc right beforehand. I've been using the system all night and it has been working fine ever since. I hope it was just a fluke. I don't want to be on my 3rd PS4 :(

Someone on the US Sony support forum had two replacements for his original machine. It's been a few weeks since I saw the thread, but I think he was talking about problems with his 3rd machine as well - and was looking to get this one replaced.

As per my previous post. I get the impression that the PS4 is a powerful console gaming platform that is hampered by bad design, or Sony 'cheaped out' in other less important areas to the consoles reliability detriment. I think Sony focused to much on the 'power' element. They spent their budget on CPU / GPU / RAM. Everything else was done on the cheap I think. Now the platform is paying the price for the unbalanced design.

The Sony support forums have quite a few people that have either got a machine that DOA out of the box. Or got a machine at launch / Christmas that then subsequently died or developed problems.

It's not even like the 360's RROD problem. As mentioned before. That was largely one particular problem. The PS4 seems to have many different problems that result in failure of the machine as a whole. Hence I think the machine may be poorly (cheaply) designed.

I feel sorry for those PS4 owners that have committed to the platform already and have experienced issues.

What worries me is buying a machine and having it fail on me some time in the future. My first 360 died because of RROD after about 18 months. The replacement died about 4 years later. The 360 'slim' (my third machine) has been running ever since without issue. My son has a 360 slim as well. He spends hours and hours on the machine with no problems. So I think the slim 360 is a solid design.

With that in mind, I think people would do well to hold off buying a PS4 until Sony revises the platform.

When I'm turning on my PS4 and switch to my TV's HDMI output, the screen flashes from blue to black a bunch of times before eventually going to my PS4's home screen. Sometimes it can take, like a minute, so I miss the PS logo booting up. It doesn't flash or do anything else weird once it's on. Should I be worried? I have a pretty old ass HDTV.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Ok... this is taking forever. Sony has had my console for 5 days now and still hasn't updated my status. The customer service rep told me the whole process only takes a week and it's been 12 days for this entire process up to this point. Anyone else hating customer support right now?

EDIT: Wow, just read all the processing/shipping details info and technically they have until Jan. 29th to have my console back in my hands if they go by normal estimates. Awful.

SpecDotSign

Unconfirmed Member
Taken from the other PS4 thread. Hopefully y'all can help with this:

I'd be watching a stream, then switch to another one, and then another, and then move on to either 2K or Ghosts and I get no response off my button presses after I hit the PS button. When I hold the PS button I get a blank screen with nothing but the battery life of the controller and really loud console noise. Eventually it studders and starts responding.
It's irritating and annoying. Launch console owner. I love the system when it's snappy and works, but I fear that I may just have to get a replacement.

broony

Not sure if this is strictly the right thread:

I bought battlefield 4 on disk. I am playing it so much I decided to buy digitally and I'm going to trade the disk in.

I was hoping to just start the download and have it recognise that it was installed and just download some authentication or something. However it seems to be downloading the whole thing again.

While it's downloading I have just had a quick look at system storage and it is listed there twice. Once at 41gb which is the disk install and again at 34 gb which is still downloading.

Has anyone done this themselves and if so, is this how it normally does it and also can I just delete the 41 gb file?

Not sure if this is strictly the right thread:

I bought battlefield 4 on disk. I am playing it so much I decided to buy digitally and I'm going to trade the disk in.

I was hoping to just start the download and have it recognise that it was installed and just download some authentication or something. However it seems to be downloading the whole thing again.

While it's downloading I have just had a quick look at system storage and it is listed there twice. Once at 41gb which is the disk install and again at 34 gb which is still downloading.

Has anyone done this themselves and if so, is this how it normally does it and also can I just delete the 41 gb file?

On XB1 the files are the same whether they are on disc or downloaded. On PS4 they are unique files. You can just delete the disc file.

Marco1

If there does happen to be a fundamental flaw in the design of the PS4 then Sony are fucked.
Once that gets out I don't think they have the deep pockets of MS to help them out.
I know what Kaz Hirai is trying to do and their products are fantastic but everything appears to have cheapened out in some way similar to the screens on their flagship phone the Z1.

npa189

If there does happen to be a fundamental flaw in the design of the PS4 then Sony are fucked.
Once that gets out I don't think they have the deep pockets of MS to help them out.
I know what Kaz Hirai is trying to do and their products are fantastic but everything appears to have cheapened out in some way similar to the screens on their flagship phone the Z1.

They have sold 4.2 million of these things, there are bound to be bad machines I personally had one. I took it to a Sony store and they swapped it with a brand new factory sealed unit. I bought several major Sony products last year (laptop, headphones, camera) and they are all extremely solid products, the build quality on my mirrorless DSLR is fantastic. The PS4 will never be the disaster of RROD, that was almost biblical.

Guys, I need some help. A dude I know has a problem with his PS4. The OS runs slow as fuck, take a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7n6NTSnZZo

He already tried changing the HDD and reinstalling the fw update, and it's still fucked up... any clue? :(

This is EXACTLY the same issue my ps4 had out of the box. Once I updated it though it was fine, but I did get one random shut down during gameplay. I swapped HDDs and reinstalled the firmware and I was good to go. Very strange.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Had to send my console away for disc eject issue. Got a fresh one within a week. Now I have 2 trollers. Kind of win?

Within a week? Man, Sony is slacking for me. I started the process on Jan. 3 and still don't have my console back. Getting really annoyed...

Top Bottom