• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Preview Thread (9/20) Three kingdoms highlighted and MORE

have we had any negative news about this game?

I'm waiting for the downside
giphy.gif

That is my feeling as well. Something about putting New Donk first is a nice contrast to previous Mario games.
It's not first, the latest direct even showed the path from Cap to Cascade to Sand kingdoms.
The latest footage heavily hinted that you're flung into Fossil Falls immediately after the tutorial area.
It looks like it will continue roughly eastwards around the globe from there, but of course we don't know the whole idea with the picture warps yet, so maybe you can visit some places out of sequence.

Something I don't think we've seen yet are the inhabitants of Fossil Falls, could they be Yoshis?

I'm hoping that with so much Mario history showing up in this game we get a Wario and/or Wart appearance.

I feel like Wart would have shown up in 3D world if anywhere. I don't get Nintendo's deal with Super Mario Bros 2. They use Shy Guys all the time, and Birdo in all the Mario spinoff games, and they always base character special moves on it (IE Luigi's long jump, Peach's hover, Toad's strength) but otherwise they barely acknowledge it. Where's Mouser? TriClyde? Wart? Even in the Yoshi series which seems to borrow the most from SMB2, only ShyGuys and maybe Ninjis return.

I know Nintendo has a major aversion to retreading things but I would LOVE to see a Return to Subcon game. Give Bowser a rest or have him join your team as Wart tries to overthrow the waking world or SOMETHING.

atom519

have we had any negative news about this game?

I'm waiting for the downside

I expect the forced motion controls are going to show up as a negative bullet point for a lot of reviews. From what I've seen throwing cappy and other moves are performed via motion gesture, which will be an instant turn-off for a good percentage of 'lol waggle' players - especially those that don't have a pro controller. Honestly not sure how it will play it in portable mode?

I'm hyped beyond belief regardless. These recent previews make the game feel like a week or two out, not sure if I can't wait for over a month.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I expect the forced motion controls are going to show up as a negative bullet point for a lot of reviews. From what I've seen throwing cappy and other moves are performed via motion gesture, which will be an instant turn-off for a good percentage of 'lol waggle' players - especially those that don't have a pro controller. Honestly not sure how it will play it in portable mode?

I'm hyped beyond belief regardless. These recent previews make the game feel like a week or two out, not sure if I can't wait for over a month.

It cannot be motion-only due to handheld mode. There are no Switch games I am aware of that force the player to shake the entire Switch as a unit in the service of motion control.

Nintendo demos often don't have an options menu, so that could be why nobody has demoed the game with a button-only control scheme.

You can also throw Cappy with the Y button. Motion controls are optional in this game.

Since this is EPD Tokyo, I'm praying for lots of challenging post-game content.
See, I'm sure this stuff will exist

I'm not convinced I'm not going to have to slog through a bunch of bite-sized collect-a-thon missions that I'd rather have traded for "more levels" to access it on replays

This thought depresses me. Hopefully the kingdoms are full of substantial, very replayable "level" content. I know that stuff exists, too, but I'm worried about the balance between platforming stages and "drive the RC car through the track" mini game BS I know will be iffy the first time and terrible the second time

See, I'm sure this stuff will exist

I'm not convinced I'm not going to have to slog through a bunch of bite-sized collect-a-thon missions that I'd rather have traded for "more levels" to access it on replays

Oh, you definitely will. It's the Mario 64 way. But unlike 64 and Sunshine, there should hopefully be lots of cool stuff in the endgame.

This thought depresses me. Hopefully the kingdoms are full of substantial, very replayable "level" content. I know that stuff exists, too, but I'm worried about the balance between platforming stages and "drive the RC car through the track" mini game BS I know will be iffy the first time and terrible the second time

Well, to be fair, you're not going to have to do most of that stuff if you don't want to. Those minigames appear to be optional ways to collect more moons if you want.
That being said, if you're not a fan of the Mario 64 structure at all, I don't see this game changing your mind all that much.

You can only play it when you're awake.

There was that one GAFer that said everything looks bland and empty. Clearly a subject matter expert, so best give this game a miss.

I'll give it a few hours after launch before GAF finds a negative wave of backlash no game is safe

The mission-based design is kind of a snooze tbh and I don't see it aging well on replays

But I'm also that freak that thinks Mario 64 doesn't hold up at all, so...

I worry I won't finish this game myself

hmmm, this is news to me. Yeah I would like an option to turn motion controls off but damn I am also looking forward to using Cappy - well also want to watch pros speed run this game too.

Gamersyde videos looks amazing. Also it looks like the game is using a dynamic resolution, i made a pixel count on various scenes using the DF method and the game goes from 810p to 900p.

Nessus

I know Nintendo has a major aversion to retreading things but I would LOVE to see a Return to Subcon game. Give Bowser a rest or have him join your team as Wart tries to overthrow the waking world or SOMETHING.

This is such a good idea!

Remember when people were wondering where EAD Tokyo could go next after Super Mario Galaxy?

Imagine that team's creativity unleashed in an actual dream world. Make it even more surreal and fantastical, like Alice In Wonderland.

Avalanche

This is such a good idea!

Remember when people were wondering where EAD Tokyo could go next after Super Mario Galaxy?

Imagine that team's creativity unleashed in an actual dream world. Make it even more surreal and fantastical, like Alice In Wonderland.

The Mushroom Kingdom is surreal as fuck, we’re just used to it after 30 years.

I'm still curious if the 69 moons shown for the Sand Kingdom might change before release. Maybe it's just me being obsessive but I'd really hate it if there wasn't an equal number of moons in each kingdom.

Found another flaw with the game: it costs money.

Also it doesn't cure cancer. Sad.

So, the grand moons are now named multi moons and you earn 3 moons. Is this taken into account in the moon count per kingdom?

They were worth 3 moons back at E3 when they were called grand moons too. I assume they're taken into account (as 3 moons) but I guess we don't know yet.

If not we could wind up having 72 or 75 (or more). 75 is a much nicer, more round number than 69. I'm not sure why that's bothering me so much.

(mat)

I have to stop watching gameplay footage. I'm just getting so excited about collecting all the things. Coins. Moons. Costumes. I want it all. I miss 3D collectathons. This will certainly scratch the itch.

Forkball

Ads are going up in Japan.

DKsTx6AVYAEQXuG.jpg

You may remember this picture from the January event:
DKsUh1AV4AAk3m8.jpg

The graphical upgrade is obvious, though I wouldn't take the ad at 100% face value considering there's certainly additional touch ups done to it. Still, I assume the game will look somewhat in the middle. We know they've adjusted the graphics quite a bit since January, as shown with Peach in the Direct trailer.

super-mario-odyssey-1-1.jpg

I've just found a video where a guy compiled all the moons he found in luncheon and seaside kingdoms so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npRAns_FRrk

Of course, massive spoilers.

Really liking the flow of the game

Oh, hey, this is mine! I was gonna post it here but decided against it because of the self-promotion rule, even if I don't have any intent of becoming an actual youtuber, haha. Combing through all the footage to make this helped me forget for a bit that I won't get to play this game for a while ;-;

Oh, hey, this is mine! I was gonna post it here but decided against it because of the self-promotion rule, even if I don't have any intent of becoming an actual youtuber, haha. Combing through all the footage to make this helped me forget for a bit that I won't get to play this game for a while ;-;

nice video! A lot of effort to do it

The Super Mario Odyssey official site seems to have been updated and it's pretty cool! It doesn't shows us anything really new though, other than
showing the Snow Kingdom's coins are snowflakes and confirming once and for all Peach's Castle is where we'll go for the Mushroom Kingdom.

High-res map (so far). Spoilers for some unrevealed locations. (But they're the ones spoiled people already know about)
http://supermario.nintendo.com/assets/img/home/map.jpg

RagnarokX

The Super Mario Odyssey official site seems to have been updated and it's pretty cool! It doesn't shows us anything really new though, other than
showing the Snow Kingdom's coins are snowflakes and confirming once and for all Peach's Castle is where we'll go for the Mushroom Kingdom.

High-res map (so far). Spoilers for some unrevealed locations. (But they're the ones spoiled people already know about)

Huh, that map confirms ty-foos from 3D World will be in the game:
uNNdwBel.png

do you think this is the final map?

RagnarokX

do you think this is the final map?

It's definitely not. It's missing the tropical island from the Direct (
Forgotten Isle
) and
Isle Delfino
. Also, one landmass is shaped like a bat wing that is conspicuously blank imo and I think that could be a more traditional spooky world.

Kinsei

Banned

No
Isle Delfino on there so I think we can safely assume that we won't be visiting it in the game.
Really odd that
Forgotten Isle
is the only area we know of not labeled on the map.

Top Bottom