• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

So... is there another scenario after the one that opens the zone because that one was not single player?

Maybe it works if you're already grouped? But it isn't like the older scenarios where it queues you up - at least it wasn't for me. I was "queued" and then it immediately started with just me.

Hixx

Sindragosa's Fury and Divine Storm are bugged as fuck. Just don't do any damage like 99% of the time.

Feels bad man.

Mupod

Sindragosa's Fury and Divine Storm are bugged as fuck. Just don't do any damage like 99% of the time.

Feels bad man.

ah, so it's not just me then. I was mostly tanking last night but I was very confused when I dropped Sindragosa on a pack of imps and it did nothing. Hearing Howling Blast is messed up too.

Robin64

Blizz really should test their patches before making them live. Some kind of realm that is open to the public for testing could have caught all of these stupid bugs.

Edit: Holy shit at the Known Issues post. And this doesn't even list some stuff that players are reporting.

Faiz

Maybe it works if you're already grouped? But it isn't like the older scenarios where it queues you up - at least it wasn't for me. I was "queued" and then it immediately started with just me.

Yes, that's exactly right.

On this scenario: If you are grouped, the leader must initiate, but you play it together. You can choose who/how many of you play together or you can do it alone.

On older scenarios: basically treated it like a dungeon/instance. Which is really aggravating when you are trying to do something in older content that literally no one is doing, let me tell ya.

Wife and I played the scenario together. We love this type of content where we can play together, or maybe take a friend or two that we know personally, and play through without having to tick tank/healer boxes before you even start it. Last week we tried queueing for some dungeons to get tradeskill and alt order hall stuff done. After 50 minutes watching the average wait time range from 5 to 20 minutes, friend tank finally logged on and we were off and away instantly with dungeon finder filling out the other two spots in the blink of an eye.

I know people scoff about "single player content" in an MMO, but it's nice doing things without having to tick boxes sometimes, and curating your group with few restrictions.

Edit: maybe I spent too many years in EQ where you could almost literally do NOTHING without a group, even basic world content.

Sölf

Feels bad man.

Howling Blast is also bugged and does no AoE damage 99% of the time. Shit is weird. And yeah, it's fun blasting Sindragosa in 10 mobs you just pulled just to see maybe one of them taking damage at all.

Lomax

The theme of Legion from the beginning has been to push super buggy content and fix it as they go, no real surprises there.

Sölf

After having experienced the scaling now, I actually like it (after all bugs are removed). World content isn't completely brainless again, and I really, really like that. I don't care if I can no longer kills mobs in 2-3 seconds, I want to actually enjoy the game. And mobs that at least have the potential to kill me are much better than what we had before, imo.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Sölf;232991113 said:
After having experienced the scaling now, I actually like it (after all bugs are removed). World content isn't completely brainless again, and I really, really like that. I don't care if I can no longer kills mobs in 2-3 seconds, I want to actually enjoy the game. And mobs that at least have the potential to kill me are much better than what we had before, imo.

On the other end of the argument, if I'm heroic/mythic raiding and that's where I get (at least some) enjoyment from the game, having that series of accomplishments (in terms of gear) getting invalidated, or more realistically, diminished by having to chug through world quests that now take longer than they did previously (possibly on multiple toons, no less) doesn't feel good to me at all.

If they want to make WQs relevant they need to either keep pumping out new themes, or increasing the rewards - 860 is a step in the right direction, but for example, why do the world bosses still drop 860 as well? Shouldn't they also get that 20 level increase?

I mean, I understand the 'theoretical' argument of having things die so fast that people trying to tag can't get in on things, but while this is only based on my own personal evidence, I've never really had this problem aside from the occasional elite getting killed right before I get there, then having to wait a few minutes or server hop to find one where it's up.

If they tune things better I guess I can see it working okay, and that some of the hullabaloo is Blizz refusing to say anything beforehand (which seems to be a lot of the controversial decisions they make, at least as of late), but it definitely feels wonky right now.

That, and if they're so worried about scaling, they should maybe made it so there's approximately a 100 ilevel gap between fresh 800s and Mythic Nighthold raiders, with even more of a gap to come once Tomb releases.

Sölf

On the other end of the argument, if I'm heroic/mythic raiding and that's where I get (at least some) enjoyment from the game, having that series of accomplishments (in terms of gear) getting invalidated, or more realistically, diminished by having to chug through world quests that now take longer than they did previously (possibly on multiple toons, no less) doesn't feel good to me at all.

If they want to make WQs relevant they need to either keep pumping out new themes, or increasing the rewards - 860 is a step in the right direction, but for example, why do the world bosses still drop 860 as well? Shouldn't they also get that 20 level increase?

I mean, I understand the 'theoretical' argument of having things die so fast that people trying to tag can't get in on things, but while this is only based on my own personal evidence, I've never really had this problem aside from the occasional elite getting killed right before I get there, then having to wait a few minutes or server hop to find one where it's up.

If they tune things better I guess I can see it working okay, and that some of the hullabaloo is Blizz refusing to say anything beforehand (which seems to be a lot of the controversial decisions they make, at least as of late), but it definitely feels wonky right now.

That, and if they're so worried about scaling, they should maybe made it so there's approximately a 100 ilevel gap between fresh 800s and Mythic Nighthold raiders, with even more of a gap to come once Tomb releases.

That they didn't say anything was indeed stupid. And their argument doesn't really work, imo.

I do understand that people don't like that their accomplishments get diminished. I like harder games in general, so it doesn't really affect me in that sense. And they definitly need to look how they want to balance it and they need to fix the bugs. Legendaries bumping enemy strength quite a bit should also be something to look at.

I really would like to see this scaling continued in the future, but they need to really take a look at the system. It can work, but it will be hard job to find that sweet spot were it won't be too easy again but people still feel that they get stronger.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Yeah I gotta disagree with the change to the mob scaling. The whole point is that I am stronger. When I was leveling and gearing up, it's totally fine that the mobs took a bit more effort to kill. The entire point is that after I've done dungeons and raids, that I can go out to the world and crush these insignificant mobs. They should in no way pose any threat to me.

I disagree with dungeons going up as well. Same thing. These dungeons posed a thread when I was just starting out, but after having cleared a raid with significantly more powerful mobs, the mobs in a dungeon should be nothing for me.

Robin64

They could have easily just stuck with making enemies on the Broken Shore harder than enemies in the rest of the Broken Isles, and that would have been fine. We would've expected that. It's new content, a new attack, the demons are stronger, we understand.

Tarazet

I dunno, I think the fact that Lordly McEpicPants can ride up and two-or-three-shot mobs that a levelling guy is still *running towards* is perhaps an issue!

I've noticed that in recent world quests prior to the patch a bit; when I watch other people attacking enemies, there's going to be situations where one mob takes a (comparatively) long time to go down - then I arrive, and help finish off the last 40% in a few GCDs. And I'm a tank.

I'm not sure this is the right solution, but there's absolutely a problem there.

I was wondering why my 890 Ele Sham was utter limp dick, but my 865 Arcane Mage was one-shotting imps. That explains why.

It was all downhill when they made loot scale. Now you can't solo old gear and get swathes of gear for selling and transmog.

Then they added scaling enemies..and then scaling enemies to ilvls....

v1perz53

Ugh of all the annoying things this patch I think personally the most annoying thing is that it is removing my PvP abilities from my bar when they aren't active, then placing them back in random slots when they reactivate. I can't imagine this is intentional, but until it fixes I guess I have to make macros for every single PvP ability so it doesn't get removed when I leave PvP...

Also super cool that you can't do the "catch up to AK25 quest if you are currently researching 24/25, so my alt got screwed because I was almost there. My alts that I ignored and left at AK 20 got to 25 no problem, but my most important alt just hit 23 and has ~2 days left on 24 and 3 days left on 25, so I can't continue the Broken Shores questline and unlock my new traits for 5 days.

Though a random side benefit of the patch is that some background cleanup or randomness has allowed me to have two instances of WoW with maxed settings running while also playing a youtube video. Last patch this would cause youtube connection issues for whatever reason.

Metroidvania

Yeah I gotta disagree with the change to the mob scaling. The whole point is that I am stronger. When I was leveling and gearing up, it's totally fine that the mobs took a bit more effort to kill. The entire point is that after I've done dungeons and raids, that I can go out to the world and crush these insignificant mobs. They should in no way pose any threat to me.

Its definitely related to this...

It was all downhill when they made loot scale. Now you can't solo old gear and get swathes of gear for selling and transmog.

Then they added scaling enemies..and then scaling enemies to ilvls....

'Just' warforged was one thing - maybe pushing it, but not a huge deal.

But when you can get 15-20 ilevels over what is 'intended' as a lucky chance (instead of having to work through raids to get said loot and be rewarded appropriately), that kind of ruins the ability to keep a more hands-on control of what the 'expected' power level should be.

I disagree with dungeons going up as well. Same thing. These dungeons posed a thread when I was just starting out, but after having cleared a raid with significantly more powerful mobs, the mobs in a dungeon should be nothing for me.

Eh....M+ I can kind of see, otherwise people could steamroll content and just get max rewards per week and be done with it. But it's still done in a rather hamfisted way.

I do understand that people don't like that their accomplishments get diminished. I like harder games in general, so it doesn't really affect me in that sense. And they definitly need to look how they want to balance it and they need to fix the bugs. Legendaries bumping enemy strength quite a bit should also be something to look at.

I really would like to see this scaling continued in the future, but they need to really take a look at the system. It can work, but it will be hard job to find that sweet spot were it won't be too easy again but people still feel that they get stronger.

Honestly, it's not 'harder' in the sense that every fight is life or death on World Quests, it's harder in the sense that (while limiting you from just chain-pulling as a non-tank, which was part of the point) you are now back to taking 10-15 seconds (or whatever) to kill a random mob out in the world, instead of the expected 2-5 seconds faster for someone with Heroic/Mythic gear.

That doesn't make World quests 'harder' (especially with the myriad of groupfinder addons and such), it just makes it more tedious.

If anything, I would have been fine with a HP/damage boost to the Broken Shore mobs, but then you run into issues with the 830-840 WQ/LFR people who still want to see that content.

Which could have been solved at least in part by having WQs start to give better rewards prior to 7.2 launching, but for whatever reason, that didn't happen.

im so confused about 7.2. I cant tell if things are intended or broke and theres nothing to do on the Broken Shore...

Wait the buildings last 3 days when completed? How does that make any...what the fuck is the point of...did nobody think any of this was a bad idea?

Fjordson

Yeah, the mob scaling sounds bad. Being able to kill mobs and elites out in the world more quickly as I've geared up just makes sense. Having that take longer now sounds like a terrible idea.

And it's not even really about more challenge imo. As Metroidvania says, it's simply more of a slog. You're not going to die and you're not like executing new mechanics or anything. It just takes longer. That's boring.

Metroidvania

Huh. They already toned it down, though not a reversion (yet).

blue post said:
Thanks for the feedback on this issue. It's clear that we need to make some changes here, so here are our current plans:

We're removing the increase to damage dealt by creatures in the world. Our overall goal with this change is to keep the amount of time it takes to kill a creature from getting ridiculously short, and increasing the damage they deal is unnecessary for that goal. Instead, this was making you feel like they were becoming more dangerous, which was not our intent.

We're significantly reducing the rate at which creature health scales with your item level. Again, all we're trying to do here is prevent cases where monsters die too quickly for players to react to their presence, particularly around World Quests. Our initial tuning was far more aggressive than it needed to be, which could make it feel like your upgrades weren't actually helping. This change will make it very clear that you are still becoming noticeably stronger than your enemies as your gear improves.
Those two changes are already live, and you should be seeing them in-game now.

Later today, we'll be correcting a separate issue that's causing unequipping an item to drastically alter the power of enemies you're facing. The above changes make it so that's never the right thing to do anyway, but this is still a strange/buggy interaction that needs to be fixed.

They also say it was introduced in the PTR as early as January and were waiting for feedback on it (which apparently never came), but I have my doubts, knowing how meticulous certain segments of the community are.

When that feedback never came, we assumed that meant it was an acceptable change – i.e., those who hadn't noticed it weren't bothered by it, and those who had noticed it thought it was fine. Clearly that was a false assumption, and we should have drawn attention to it later in the PTR cycle, so that we could have caught these issues before Patch 7.2 went live.

JenniferLawrencesure.gif

Fjordson

I guess I can understand them wanting to fix that on the extreme end of the spectrum. Where someone is just melting mobs in half a second, but sounds like they initially went overboard. Glad they're looking at it, though.

Now they just need to fix the name change issue. Seen other people posting about it on the forums and my character is still locked out lmao. It's been like 18 hours now.

cdyhybrid

Increasing mob time to death to enable multi-tagging is a good thing in theory. When everything dies instantly as it spawns it sucks to try and do quests.

That said, they pretty clearly bungled the implementation here.

v1perz53

You know, I'm honestly not bothered by them trying new things as long as they communicate and make quick changes. This is a good example, patch hit Tuesday, they made a post about mob scaling and their rationale Tuesday night, and by Wednesday they've iterated on it. Sure, they could've implemented it on PTR and gotten feedback then, but honestly PTR feedback isn't super useful since the subset of people who actually go on the PTR is not at all representative of the live playerbase. And yea, they could've posted about it right when patch hit or before, but I will choose to give them benefit of the doubt on this one that they actually did implement it on PTR and thought people didn't care so much.

Point is, I'm happy with the turnaround time on this issue. Patch hits, people are angry about a change, hours later the dev posts about the change and the rationale, next day it has been iterated on. This is much preferable to the super long times between fixing things that have happened this expansion (legendaries).

Edit: YESYESYES they answered my ticket and gave me two AK researches to get me to 25 so I can actually start doing the content instead of waiting 5 days for it.

Lain

I noticed Belath metamorphosing a lot today. Never noticed him doing it before.
I was hoping brimstone giving rank 2 was fixed with 7.2, but no go. I wonder if it will ever be fixed.

Warforging/titanforging was nuts for me today. Almost all pieces of gear from WQs on my DH warforged, sometimes getting sockets too.

Lomax

I was hoping brimstone giving rank 2 was fixed with 7.2, but no go. I wonder if it will ever be fixed.

It was fixed for me, the quest was just there waiting in Dalaran at the Blacksmith. And it immediately gave me the rank 3 quest right after turning it in (which requires killing Archimonde in HFC oddly enough).

Very few people go on PTR, and most of those people are going to be looking at new content where a change like this isn't going to be as apparent. People are just going to assume that's how 7.2 content is tuned.

I don't believe they honestly expected feedback on it. It was like Ion said, they wanted to sneak it in without players reacting beforehand (and they knew those reactions would be largely negative). There's too much experience on that team for them to think otherwise, IMO.

That said, there's too much experience on that team to think sneaking in a change like this was a good idea in the first place, so I guess anything is possible.

That unequipping gear bug would have been caught immediately had that change been documented either on PTR or live.

cdyhybrid

I would expect that the vast majority of the testing actually done on the PTR is Mythic guilds doing raid testing.

And they probably only log into the PTR during those raid testing windows.

Lain

It was fixed for me, the quest was just there waiting in Dalaran at the Blacksmith. And it immediately gave me the rank 3 quest right after turning it in (which requires killing Archimonde in HFC oddly enough).

I didn't check at the blacksmith, I'll have to go take a look.

Edit: Yeah it was there! Woot! I can finally rank up!

robertoci

So disappointed by this patch so far, was really looking forward to doing all the new content but then fast forward to an hour or so later and it's all done, god damn time gating.

When I read about the ilvl scaling the first thing I thought of was Tanaan and how fucking awful it was. If you didn't have flying, forget about even trying to get to a world boss or rare spawn. If you did have flying, forget trying to get to a world boss or rare spawn unless you were near by because people would just blow it up in under a minute. Once cross-realm hit with 7.0 and everyone was either raid geared or in invasion catch-up gear, it was pointless to try anything because everything got deleted within seconds of spawning. I've never played MoP end-game content but I read about the exact same problems with world bosses and rares being insta-deleted on spawn.

In principle, ilvl scaling doesn't necessarily sound like a bad thing to me.

Metroidvania

IMO, the problem with Tanaan was that flying made it so the 'big 4' in Tanaan were killed so fast you had to literally get lucky or server hop like mad - AND the fact that for a while, they were important for shipyard oil as well as the mounts being associated with them, so missing them meant you missed out on multiple aspects.

But with the Broken Shore, AFAIK (which is admittedly limited), outside of some nethershards, none of the big elites really drop anything of relevance outside of rep turn-in quest tokens.

So disappointed by this patch so far, was really looking forward to doing all the new content but then fast forward to an hour or so later and it's all done, god damn time gating.

I mean, I kind of get the explanation of not having to do too many things at once right on patch day, but I think they tuned it a little too slow with 3 whole weeks just to get to the class campaigns.

But at least they (apparently) increased the building material gains for the 3 towers.

Broken Shore is like Tanaan but worse somehow. Like there is actually nothing to do there at current besides look for chests which...I dunno why you'd do that. Yeah you can farm Nethershards if you hate yourself and want to get into that buggy mess of crap.

There are Timeless Isle-esque buffs but I dunno why they are there.

Jag

Broken Shore is like Tanaan but worse somehow. Like there is actually nothing to do there at current besides look for chests which...I dunno why you'd do that. Yeah you can farm Nethershards if you hate yourself and want to get into that buggy mess of crap.

I kind of feel the same way. It's pretty bland. At least Tanaan and TI had stuff to hunt for and puzzles to solve. Maybe they will add it, but just having another zone with some WQs is pretty underwhelming. I can't imagine this is it.

Lomax

I didn't check at the blacksmith, I'll have to go take a look.

Edit: Yeah it was there! Woot! I can finally rank up!

Yeah, it was a nice surprise to see it finally fixed. Now I just wish *any* of the other rank threes would drop for me, I still don't have a single one.

When I read about the ilvl scaling the first thing I thought of was Tanaan and how fucking awful it was. If you didn't have flying, forget about even trying to get to a world boss or rare spawn. If you did have flying, forget trying to get to a world boss or rare spawn unless you were near by because people would just blow it up in under a minute. Once cross-realm hit with 7.0 and everyone was either raid geared or in invasion catch-up gear, it was pointless to try anything because everything got deleted within seconds of spawning. I've never played MoP end-game content but I read about the exact same problems with world bosses and rares being insta-deleted on spawn.

That isn't going to be fixed or really at all affected by iLvl scaling, that's a function of large numbers of people and accessibility.

The problem with scaling by ilvl is the rewards need to scale to compensate. It's one thing when rewards increase for effort but this is just more effort for effort's sake other than the universal increase in rewards. Though I guess this could be seen as a "cost" for increasing the quality of those rewards, but things like gold and order hall resources didn't increase any.

Yeah, and the world quests there aren't at all interesting or creative and really stand out as just being dailies under another name. Maybe the coming invasions will be better but I didn't even manage to get through two character's worth of intro quest stuff and a few world quests before I was tired of it.

Metroidvania

Yeah, and the world quests there aren't at all interesting or creative and really stand out as just being dailies under another name. Maybe the coming invasions will be better but I didn't even manage to get through two character's worth of intro quest stuff and a few world quests before I was tired of it.

Going off of one of the recent blue posts, I don't think the intent is for Broken Shores to be its own thing the way Tanaan or TI was.

Can't seem to find it atm, but IIRC the blue post read something like 'it's supposed to share focus with the current WQs having new rewards (and the new paragon system), upcoming Legion Invasions, and new class hall quests/class hall mount.

If they want it to stand on its own at all, I agree that they really need to buff things up. Problem is, the zone feels really small/closed off as of now, with not a lot of space for separate themed areas like Tanaan.

Lain

At least the Broken Shore WQ from Khadgar shows he's still the biggest troll.

Hey, go help those poor sobs who got turned into stone by the basilisk with this oil.
What, the oil worked?!? Oh, yeah, obviously it'd work, kekekeke.

Top Bottom