• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official WipEout HD thrEad of unEcessary captilization

Crayon

Metalmurphy said:
Dude, those are player released screenshots using the photo mode, not official "bullshots". And what I meant was, if the game it self is already running at 1080p WITH AA then high res screenshots won't improve much.

And here is a player-released screenshot of GT4:

5731photomode_kokusaiforum_21_qjpreviewth.jpg

Kind of takes the steam out of GT5 if you don't know better huh?

Plus I don't know what kind of aa wipeout is running but it's no the 16x that bullshots and photomodes get. That does alot more than just cleanup edges!

Wipeout will look amazing I just think it's unfortunate and kind of ironic that it's amazing iq can't stand out in still captures.

Crayon said:

274796640_af9570a6a1.jpg

Plus I don't know what kind of aa wipeout is running but it's no the 16x that bullshots and photomodes get. That does alot more than just cleanup edges!

Wipeout will look amazing I just think it's unfortunate and kind of ironic that it's amazing iq can't stand out in still captures.
That's not the point, you said stuff like:
It's bad that they really can't show off the image quality in screenshots, because bullshots have become the standard.

Making it seem you were being deceived and like those were official screenshots representing the game... it's a freaking Photo mode feature... Lighten up... Everyone wants the pictures from Photo mode to come out the best way possible.

Crayon said:
The ironic thing is that it does.

Also, btw, GT4 doesn't run at 1080p, so once more you're missing the point.

There's a difference between a game running at 480p being rendered at higher rez then a game running at 1080p being rendered at higher rez, you get to a point where the resolution is so high to being with that you hardly notice a difference.

mileS

Crayon said:
Because what makes this game look good is not data-intensive stuff. It's heavy processing of relativley simple data. The Textures are small and repeating, nothing really articulates or has and unique animations... it's simple stuff. What makes it looks good is the way the assets are rendered not the assets themselves.

Thanks. I was just having a hard time understanding how the full game takes less space than most demos these days.

Grayman

So does anyone know what the pace setting craft is going to be in HD? Will Triaksis continue dominance, will Piranha return as the fastest, will Feiser have it's day(lol)

Crayon said:

http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/64853/5731photomode_kokusaiforum_21_qjpreviewth.jpg[/IMG]

GT5 and TT pump really high res compared to the game too. These are all untouched.
http://torchthebridge.com/grayman/pics/games/GT TT/ninja_seatle_0005.JPG
http://torchthebridge.com/grayman/pics/games/GT TT/GT4_0009.JPG
http://torchthebridge.com/grayman/pics/games/GT TT/GT4_0013.JPG
http://torchthebridge.com/grayman/pics/games/GT TT/GT4_0014.JPG

Crayon

Metalmurphy said:
Also, btw, GT4 doesn't run at 1080p, so once more you're missing the point.

No you are. At some point you misinterpreted my sentiments as an attack on wipeout and now you are off in left field.

Wipeout hd's screenhot iq is no better than the Halo 2 screenshot I posted and that's too bad. If I had things my way... screenshots would show you what games actually looked like and I think that would lead to more games looking like wipeout which would be good.

Crayon said:
No you are. At some point you misinterpreted my sentiments as an attack on wipeout and now you are off in left field.

Wipeout hd's screenhot iq is no better than the Halo 2 screenshot I posted and that's too bad. If I had things my way... screenshots would show you what games actually looked like and I think that would lead to more games looking like wipeout which would be good.
So you're saying because of all the other bullshots Wipeout doesn't look as good as it should cause if we got used to bullshots?

If so then yeah, I misunderstood you :p

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I simply cannot wait to see this on my 50" Pioneer Kuro plasma.

Fired up WO:pulse on yon PSP this afternoon to get some practice in. God I suck at this game, but it's so fun I can' stop playing. Can't wait for Thursday.

FightyF

Banned
Dever said:
That looks like CG to me, shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt. I mean I know it's obviously a touched-up photomode capture, but....

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt

Yeah, that's the only element that is really needed to make it look like CG. Though I'm glad it runs at 60fps, rather than 30 w/ motion blur. But if it did ran at 30 with motion blur, it would look like all the promotional CG made for earlier WO games.

ianp622 said:
Would I be considered trolling if I said I honestly thought that was a shot from Halo 3?

You'd be considered blind. :p The lighting is worlds apart.

Image quality is one thing, framerate is another. Fact is, to get high IQ and high fps along with high texture resolution the only thing left that you have to sacrifice is poly count. I think all games should go the route of WO...and recently we saw it with the TNA wrestling game, high framerate, and high IQ.

Crayon

Metalmurphy said:
So you're saying because of all the other bullshots Wipeout doesn't look as good as it should cause if we got used to bullshots?

If so then yeah, I misunderstood you :p

YES. Everytime we get someone with a little hands on time, they come back and they're like "omg the grahpics are so clean i didn't know games could look like this".

And that is disheartening because games can look like that, but what is the point of making a game look so perfectly clean and smooth when every game gets perfect iq in screenshots? I think this leads to less games looking like wipeout and more games looking like... welll like everything else.

nofi said:

You can't do better than perfect!

This 'Unjust Age of Bullshot' aside, unless you're seeing the thing in motion its not doing the game much justice anyway. Watching that 1080p/60fps trailer on the Euro store awhile back was like a visual smack in the face. I had the same exact impression TTP did, it was like discovering a new Sega cabinet back in the day and being floored at the raw clarity and movement. I still remember when Virtua Fighter first hit my local arcade, it was placed front and center like a proud alpha dog and everybody was mesmerized. Those were the days.

As simple as the game's assets are (which allow this res/clip), you do get the sense that this gen just missed its timing when 1080p/60fps isn't consistently achievable.

Dever

Banned
FightyF said:
Yeah, that's the only element that is really needed to make it look like CG. Though I'm glad it runs at 60fps, rather than 30 w/ motion blur. But if it did ran at 30 with motion blur, it would look like all the promotional CG made for earlier WO games.

Motion blur really doesn't work for Wipeout, since everything would be blurry all the time :lol

FightyF

Banned
Dever said:
Motion blur really doesn't work for Wipeout, since everything would be blurry all the time :lol

Obviously you could turn it down, I don't know if you've played racing games with motion blur but there are varying degrees in which you could implement it. I know you're joking because the game is so fast, but I'm just saying.

Anyways, I can see some really good PS3 XMB backgrounds coming from this game.

TTP, or anyone else that knows really, does the game support worldwide servers?

For instance, if Im in the US and want to play a friend in the UK, do they allow that?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
mintylurb said:
This is 65536 formerly known as andrewfee after reading that comment.

dwightsmiling3.gif
:lol oh he's andrewfee? i would have known if someone mentioned CRT tvs

FightyF

Banned
Check out this 3D animation by m0dus for G.A.M.E. 3.0 Wipeout edition promotional material!

16ap0k0.jpg

I'll give Ike the link to the official thread when it's out fo download.

yurinka

FightyF said:
Check out this 3D animation by m0dus for G.A.M.E. 3.0 Wipeout edition promotional material!

16ap0k0.jpg

O_O Wow! I can hear the People screaming.

497355383_0779548cd6.jpg

m0dus = god confirmed!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
FightyF said:

16ap0k0.jpg

I can't wait to hear the material from this!

Banned
Y2Kev said:
i would have known if someone mentioned CRT tvs
I've been getting hassled elsewhere, so I asked for a name change to avoid the same thing happening over here. (I'd appreciate it if that was edited out)

And yeah, some things never change, I just can't help correcting someone when they say CRT is outdated.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Private Hoffman said:

For instance, if Im in the US and want to play a friend in the UK, do they allow that?

yep.

this game feels like the Duke Nukem Forever of downloadable games to me...

....or is that Super Turbo Street Fighter II Awesome Radical HD Remix? My brain forgets. As Kittonwy would say, I'm just an old man. :(

Surfheart

I can't believe the day is nearly here! WIPEOUT!!!!!!!!

I'm going to rip the tunes from the original Wipeout so that I can play them with Wipeout HD. I love that soundtrack.

Edit: OMG @ those screens...

EktorPR

Those screens are fucking amazing. Seriously, they're easily the best screens of the game I've seen yet...and to think they were taken with the in-game photo tool! OMG I just can't wait for this. Thursday seems so far!!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffwwwwwwwoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :O

i took a week off
then realise my internet gets disconnected the morning of the 25 :/

MUST
FIND
WAY
TO
GET
GAME

FightyF said:

It was originally going to run at 30fps. But they got the game running so quickly at that framerate that they decided to try for 60fps.

WOW. My hype has went from 0 to 10 after viewing this thread. Thanks GAF. :lol :lol

This fall/winter is going to be killer for PS3! :D

Private Hoffman said:

The review code allows you select which region you want to play in...US, Europe etc. You can do this at the lobby screen.

And like I posted earlier, there's lots of nifty effects you can use in the Photo Mode to tweak your pictures, which makes for even better photos. I've played a good dozen online races and completed five of the eight "tickets" in the Championship and I've never had the game slow down or anything like that.

Grayman

Ike said:
Just out of curiosity what time do PSN games usually go up?
that depends on region. USA/Canada are usually 3pm on the west coast thursdays. JP is earlier(late the night before) and i do not know about EU.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Ike said:
Just out of curiosity what time do PSN games usually go up?

Usually around 5pm EST.

After looking at the new screens I think M0dus should do an update to the Wipeout HD theme. Only M0dus can do it justice.

FightyF

Banned
____ said:
Shit looks CGI.

3-D even.

WTF?

This is unpossible.

Reminds me, you can try taking 3D pics as well, where you pan the camera slightly to the side. From there you can have those images you stare at to get a 3D image, or just interpolate both images quickly to have a cool effect.

Also in the Halo 3 screenshots thread there was a guide on how to get panoramic shots, by taking multiple shots and popping them together in photoshop. That would be very cool with some of these tracks.

Daante

____ said:
Shit looks CGI.

3-D even.

WTF?

This is unpossible.

Totally agree. I cant imagine how damn good this will look at my 50" Pioneer 8:gen plasma!! .

Im gonna put the soundtracks for both Wipeout 1 and Wipeout 2097/XL on my PS3 this week.

Now GIIEEEF THURSDAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

WOW! Those new images look supercrisp. This game was the reason I finally upgraded to HDTV. Just received a Bravia 46" W4500 and even the non-1080p screenshots makes my eyeballs swell into tennisball-size :D . Can not wait to see it in motion...

dejay

Banned
DCharlie said:
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffwwwwwwwoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :O

i took a week off
then realise my internet gets disconnected the morning of the 25 :/

MUST
FIND
WAY
TO
GET
GAME

Take your PS3 into work and download it there :lol

Top Bottom