• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model with 1TB HDD incoming

Well duh, of course they buy them wholesale. Obvious statement is obvious.

There will still be a price difference between 500gb and 1tb drives.

Not necessarily. As the price of 1TB drives has dropped there will come a point where the demand for 500GB drives is so low that they will not be any cheaper to acquire in bulk. 1TB drives are probably cheaper now than 500GB drives were when the PS4 launched. Besides, all through last gen we saw both Sony and MS both upgrade the standard capacity of their consoles as these inflection points were hit without raising prices. And I think Sony's single SKU strategy has served them well so far this gen so I don't expect them to try an introduce "premium" models other than the game specific collector's editions.

OmegaDL50

They can always go smaller and still keep power supply and bluray player internal.

hqdefault.jpg

Where do they fit the HDD?

The PS2 didn't use or require internal storage like the PS3 and PS4 does, outside the original Fat model PS2 which was used for only one game.

Doesn't really matter. You still don't shrug your shoulders at the need for more storage by saying, "Well you do it" to your customers.

Add to that the extra cost of buying a new drive. Every time I check for deals on the ps4, I always have to add an extra $80 to that because I won't even bother installing anything on it until I have a bigger drive put in.

Autofokus

Wow, I really don't like that. So there is no way to play a game without the drive constantly spinning save for a verification spin? What about if you wait like an hour before playing?

Thank you for answering the questions though, helps me a out a lot in what to expect when I get mine for Uncharted 4.

Disc installations continue in the background, no matter what you do. You can just wait 10-20min (depending on game size) til the install is complete.

I welcome any kind of power/energy saving in a revised PS4 in addition to 802.11ac, SATA3, HDMI 2.0 and an extra USB 3.0 port. However, getting rid of the Blu-Ray drive is stupid - people still use discs and it would be a waste to go all digital this early.

I welcome any kind of power/energy saving in a revised PS4 in addition to 802.11ac, SATA3, HDMI 2.0 and an extra USB 3.0 port. However, getting rid of the Blu-Ray drive is stupid - people still use discs and it would be a waste to go all digital this early.

Where does it say they're removing the BR drive? Maybe it's a redesign that's reducing weight/power consumption.

Where does it say they're removing the BR drive? Maybe it's a redesign that's reducing weight/power consumption.

I read the first few posts in the thread and assumed from everyone else. You're right, it could be just weight/power savings by other means.

I'm all for physical copies of games. :)

It's fine replacing the internal hard disk, but whenever that is full you can't transfer anything to another drive.

I like that the Xbox One just adds whatever external disk you have attached to the overall storage capacity.

LoveCake

As soon as i got my PS4 i put in 1TB SSHD, it's a pity that there isn't two spaces inside for two HDD's & when you buy a PS4 it just has the one drive, because all of those wasted HDD's about.

Is a 1TB PS4 going to be enough though, ok it is more but for five years at least worth of gaming when game installs are only going to get bigger?

I think it would be better for the PS4 to be able to have external HDD's for game installs like the WiiU & X1, i won't be going all digital so as long as i have the game saves.

I did like the X360 where you could install on USB sticks, that is what i did with GTA5, i have half on the X360's internal HDD & then the other half on a USB stick, it was supposed to be the best way do it because of the write speeds.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
So there will be two new models with one of them having 1tb hdd. I hope it will come out this year, when I get myself a ps4.

jts

...hate me...
The console is already very small as it is. It really can't get much smaller when you factor the dimensions for both the HDD and the Blu-Ray drive.

Outside of cutting the motherboard down and resorting to an external power supply. That is the only way.

It's almost identical to the size of the PS3 Slim which was small itself.

wpid-ps4-review-28-580-90.jpg

ps4-review-36-580-90.jpg
The PS3 slim was "smaller" but definitely not that small. We've been adjusting our standards for size of consoles, after some behemoths we had (like the OG PS3) but that doesn't make the PS4 a compact console either.

Regarding optical drive and HDD: the optical drive itself probably takes not more more of 1/4 of the area of a PS4, and a 2.5" HDD is so small it can easily be stacked on.

2010-06-18mini-7.jpg

This is a 2010 Mac mini, with an optical drive and an HDD as well. And internal PSU. 4 USBs, ethernet, etc. More powerful CPU I'd expect, and only really lacking in the GPU department. Still, we're talking about something possible 5 years ago.

Of course, there's a different level of expectations for console-level engineering (in which the PS4 shines), but physically, it is very possible to go way smaller and lighter than a PS4 with those HDD+optical drive requirements. Not a matter of "casing" engineering but designing a more compact, efficient (and more expensive to produce) motherboard.

Bgamer90

Banned
Both the Xbox One and PS4 should have had 1 TB consoles at launch. Nice to see that they seem to be coming for both of them.

I'm guessing the 500 GB versions of both systems will be on sale (or have price drops) during the Holiday season to be phased out in early 2016.

Seanspeed

Banned
The PS3 slim was "smaller" but definitely not that small. We've been adjusting our standards for size of consoles, after some behemoths we had (like the OG PS3) but that doesn't make the PS4 a compact console either.

Regarding optical drive and HDD: the optical drive itself probably takes not more more of 1/4 of the area of a PS4, and a 2.5" HDD is so small it can easily be stacked on.

2010-06-18mini-7.jpg

This is a 2010 Mac mini, with an optical drive and an HDD as well. And internal PSU. 4 USBs, ethernet, etc. More powerful CPU I'd expect, and only really lacking in the GPU department. Still, we're talking about something possible 5 years ago.

Of course, there's a different level of expectations for console-level engineering (in which the PS4 shines), but physically, it is very possible to go way smaller and lighter than a PS4 with those HDD+optical drive requirements. Not a matter of "casing" engineering but designing a more compact, efficient (and more expensive to produce) motherboard.
I'd like to see the PS4 remain a similar size(it's plenty compact), so they can use improved thermals to reduce fan speeds instead of pushing things to the limit again. PS4 is surprisingly loud.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Both the Xbox One and PS4 should have had 1 TB consoles at launch. Nice to see that they seem to be coming for both of them.

I'm guessing the 500 GB versions of both systems will be on sale (or have price drops) during the Holiday season to be phased out in early 2016.

Instead of spending the extra money on the 1tb, buy a 3-4tb external on the Xbox One.

USB 3.0 with a 7,200 RPM drive is faster than the internal SATA 2 with a 5200 RPM drive.

Xbox One has had a 1TB version already with the COD bundle.

ecosse_011172

I don't care about extra disk space, I do care about reduced noise, my white PS4 is gorgeous, has a great OS, good controller etc. but the noise from it drives me insane.
now that I've finished Bloodborne I may send it back to Sony again (as I did with my first PS4) or just flog it until they can bring out a usable model.

I don't agree with that, though. As an option, that's great. But you talk about the people who will want a bigger HDD as if they are some sort of niche group. As time goes on, I'm pretty sure most people will find 500GB inadequate, if they don't already. So we're talking a large scale of people here. And I don't think it's smart to make your consumers rely on upgrading their PS4's themselves to get adequate storage space.

I'd rather see multiple SKU's, like before. Reduce the price of the 500GB model and make a 1-2TB version the current price.
Yeah, but the problem I see, is, that the 1TB model will replace the 500GB model. And so they want the keep the price high, because "Yeah guys, it's 1TB. So we have to keep the $399 price tag." So they are making more money, because of the small HDD upgrade and the price will stay nearly the same.

I want them to reduce the price as much as possible, without any excuses. A price cut to $349 is not enough imho. And "Hey, it's a new model. It has 1TB now." would be one :/

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah, but the problem I see, is, that the 1TB model will replace the 500GB model. And so they want the keep the price high, because "Yeah guys, it's 1TB. So we have to keep the $399 price tag." So they are making more money, because of the small HDD upgrade and the price will stay nearly the same.

I want them to reduce the price as much as possible, without any excuses. A price cut to $349 is not enough imho. And "Hey, it's a new model. It has 1TB now." would be one :/
Longer term, there will be price cuts. We know this is going to happen. If nothing else, Microsoft will force their hand. But for the time being, there is no need for one. It still sells perfectly well at its current price. Besides, a cheaper SKU for the current model could still be seen as a price cut.

You gotta remember that $50 difference when we're talking millions of units means HUNDREDS of millions of dollars.

Longer term, there will be price cuts. We know this is going to happen. If nothing else, Microsoft will force their hand. But for the time being, there is no need for one. It still sells perfectly well at its current price. Besides, a cheaper SKU for the current model could still be seen as a price cut.

You gotta remember that $50 difference when we're talking millions of units means HUNDREDS of millions of dollars.
Yep, I know. But they are clearly making money of each console sold + software + PSPlus.
So they should at least drop the price to $329. They are clearly losing momentum in the US. Already got outsold in April, same happened last month (imho), will continue until january 2016 (again, imho). Only the month with the Batman bundle will be theirs. So it's time to do something. They are sacrificing their US lead, because "hey, we still rock EU/Japan." Which makes no sense to me.

Maxrunner

I just bought a ps4, and after playing pes a bit while it started making a really high noise. I only have a wiiu and while i considered it a bit noisy sometimes, the ps4 looks like hairdryer....is this normal? lol

Rosur

Not necessarily. As the price of 1TB drives has dropped there will come a point where the demand for 500GB drives is so low that they will not be any cheaper to acquire in bulk. 1TB drives are probably cheaper now than 500GB drives were when the PS4 launched. Besides, all through last gen we saw both Sony and MS both upgrade the standard capacity of their consoles as these inflection points were hit without raising prices. And I think Sony's single SKU strategy has served them well so far this gen so I don't expect them to try an introduce "premium" models other than the game specific collector's editions.

Yea I don't either I'm kinda expecting an announcement now at E3 that all future models will be sold with a 1TB HDD (apart from left over stock).

I'd like to see the PS4 remain a similar size(it's plenty compact), so they can use improved thermals to reduce fan speeds instead of pushing things to the limit again. PS4 is surprisingly loud.

I agree with this sentiment. I'd hate for Sony to make it smaller, only so that it runs hotter. My Xbox One may be a monster, but it doesn't even get warm under load and is completely silent.

FoxT

Neo Member
Please, please fix the damn noise levels.
The current models can't handle full load or high load without breaking past 50-60dB which is insane for a gaming console. Temperatures are great, but the damn fan noise made me sell the system. Went through four of them trying to get one that wasn't so damn loud while playing for example TLOU or games with similar stress put to the system. Even opened one up and exchanged the thermal paste myself and managed to lower it by 5-10dB. Was still too loud. Impossible to keep it running during night time without getting a headache (or waking everyone in the vicinity up.) Might be effective cooling wise, but they cheaped out plenty on the solution. They should've kept the PSU external and put all that space to use for more fans.

I went through 3 PS4's and was glad that Amazon let me return it in the end. All of them were just too loud. Now I have the vertical stand and smartphone holder lying around, but I won't buy one again just to receive a noisy one. It's just too much of a hassle.
Sadly the last few products I bought from Sony all had a rather terrible build quality, so maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up at all.

fvng

Would be cool if they announced a network-only (non-BD) alternative version at some point.
In that case 1TB should be the starting point imo.

edit:
Maybe?

Fuck no man. That would fragment their portfolio of models and lead to customers complaining about "Why can't I use these games I bought along with the system"

Too many returns too much confusion. Only way I see it working is if they make it so small that you can immediately distinguish it as digital only platform

Cleve

Expect a 1.5tb drive bundled with games by christmas 2016.

Those of you asking for a bd-free version are crazy. That won't drop the price by much, would require a big redesign, and would confuse the shit out of customers buying it at $20 less. People that want to save $10 at retail buying the crippled version are not generally educated customers.

Now an update with a wifi card/antenna that isn't dumpster tier would be sweet.

That would be a huge blunder on Sony's part. Majority of console software sale is physical, and that number increases with casual players. Not to mention a BD-drive costing only $20 max. It Would cripple the PS4 severely for little profit gain.

The way I see it, Sony will sell this new model alongside the old one, and adjust supply of the two models to fit demand based on digital sales per region.

Some customers (potential ones perhaps) may complain about the existence of this model, but Sony can still spin it round to be positive, by stating they are simply giving consumers a choice, and consumers love choices etc. etc. And the HDD is upgradeable on both models too I'm sure.

Definitely going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

knerl

50-60 dB?? That's insane. Any proof for that? I checked PS4 noise with Noise meter on my cell phone. I got around 25 dB under heavy load ( Killzone, Witcher 3 ). I know it's not 100% accurate, but 50-60....

Where did you take the measurement? For an accurate reading of how loud the fan actually is you need to measure right at the back by the exhaust. How long did you leave the unit on? What level in Killzone did you run while measuring?

50-60dB I got by using a decibel meter after leaving the most taxing games I had on for at least 20 min. The games were TLOU (the spore ridden area where you power on a generator in the basement which is filled with water), Killzone (levels with dense particle effects and action going on) and Infamous Last Light (combat challenges area).
GTAV kept it at ~45dB, peaking at ~50dB.

25dB is bogus. The official spec details coming from the chief engineer reports them peaking at about 50dB during gaming.

Still would be too expensive. $350 isn't enough of a price drop to bring the more casual gamers on board. Needs to hit that $299 sweet spot, and the difference in price between 500gb and 1tb is almost nothing.

$299 1tb with a game (tlou or something else from their 1st party portfolio).

They are already at a 2:1 WW ratio.

No need to slash the price by $100.

Please have an external power brick .... like honestly my PS4 is like a jet engine which is why I only use the thing for exclusives. I'd buy this model if it fixes cooling issues and if its in the Uncharted 4 Special Edition PS4 i'd get that.

Before any of you say " oh it needs space for air flow" etc. Its on top of my entertainment stand with plenty of airflow.

knerl

I went through 3 PS4's and was glad that Amazon let me return it in the end. All of them were just too loud. Now I have the vertical stand and smartphone holder lying around, but I won't buy one again just to receive a noisy one. It's just too much of a hassle.
Sadly the last few products I bought from Sony all had a rather terrible build quality, so maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up at all.

According to Kotaku the operating temperature of the new unit is between 5-35 degrees Celsius. New PS4 That can't be the actual machine itself can it? Could the 300g weight loss indicate them using an external PSU?

knerl

Please have an external power brick .... like honestly my PS4 is like a jet engine which is why I only use the thing for exclusives. I'd buy this model if it fixes cooling issues and if its in the Uncharted 4 Special Edition PS4 i'd get that.

Before any of you say " oh it needs space for air flow" etc. Its on top of my entertainment stand with plenty of airflow.

Even with all the space in the world it blasts past 50dB in the heavier titles. Not ok.
Even under full load a gaming console should remain at a comfortable noise level. So yeah. Right there with you buddy. While airflow is important that's not the issue here.

McHuj

According to Kotaku the operating temperature of the new unit is between 5-35 degrees Celsius. New PS4 That can't be the actual machine itself can it? Could the 300g weight loss indicate them using an external PSU?

It's the temp of the surroundings.

My guess that they weight loss is simply due to less internal components and a new cooling mechanism.

Top Bottom