• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Who says I don't do that? I just miss the schedules on the stops, that's all.
Do you also miss rotary phones?

I actually remember there was a number you could text to get the next bus arriving. I tried it out just for kicks once and they never even responded. 😂

soultron

Banned
I fly by the seat of my pants and don't check schedules or use any apps. I do use @TTCalerts or whatever to see what lines are shutdown on weekends though.

I fly by the seat of my pants and don't check schedules or use any apps. I do use @TTCalerts or whatever to see what lines are shutdown on weekends though.

Same. Just YOLO'd my commutes my entire life. I mean, I give myself leeway be always going a half hour earlier than my appointed time but yeah.

Really now: Were the schedules ever accurate? I never bothered to check.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is the giant duck only in Toronto Saturday-Monday?
IIRC, it's just for that Red Path festival thing.

---

Anyone want a GOG code for Alan Wake American Nightmare? Or does everyone in the world happen to have this game. Can't give it away. lol Just PM me if you do. It expires next week.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
They should've sold beaver tails for the day. It would've fit right in with their doughnut business.

Blackhead

Redarse
Yes! Now we have the "ten minute network" which means we'll be there whenever..hopefully within 10 minutes of the previous bus. Of course on the morning of my exam the bus shows up after waiting 19 minutes at the stop...

I end up doing a lot of convoluted things like get off at Triton (the stop outside scarborough town) so I have a chance of catching an earlier bus coming out and other small hopeful "optimizations".

You should really plan on getting somewhere 30 minutes early if it's important at all. I do that whether driving or taking the TTC. If I get somewhere important "on time" then I'm late.

Stop being an old lady and get an app. Even my mom checks Rocket Man on her iPad before walking the 2 minutes to the bus stop.

It's not quite that simple to just say 'leave earlier'. The removal of scheduled times creates uncertainty for regular trips where you have to arrive at a particular time. I think it's important to be early/on time for work but the TTC is fucking up the routine.

For example, previously:
  1. Work starts at 9:00
  2. The transit route takes 30 minutes.
  3. There's a bus every 15 minutes, with one on the schedule for 8:25.
  4. Start walking to the bus stop each morning at ~8:20 (or ~8:22 if you check an accurate transit app) ― or go for the earlier bus at ~8:05 if there's an important meeting you want to be sure to arrive early/on time for.
Now:
  1. Work starts at 9
  2. The transit route takes 30 minutes.
  3. There's a bus every 15 minutes, but there's no schedule; the bus today could be at 8:22, 8:19, 8:26, 8:33, 8:16 etc.
  4. Start walking to the bus stop each morning at ~8:20 No! if the bus today is at 8:19, 8:33, or 8:16 you would not arrive at work early/on time ― Instead, each morning, start walking (or checking the transit app) at ~8:05 if you want to be sure to catch a bus within the next 15 minutes to arrive early/on time for work.

That's the best case scenario i.e. a simple 'short' trip. I personally have to complete a transfer on the way to work which adds another layer of uncertainty. Previously it was a 5 minute wait for the transfer according to the schedule. Now it's 'every 20 minutes'. Too many times these days I think I'm on track getting to work on time, arrive at the transfer stop but discover that the next one is arriving in 14 minutes, and then be forced to hail an Uber** to make it to work. I realistically have to leave 25 minutes earlier than 'normal' each day if I want to be sure to arrive at work early/on time.

This is the foremost concern by Toronto transit riders as revealed in the latest survey (and as Steve Munro explains, we are not sure the TTC even understands what riders are telling them):
Steve Munro said:
The executive summary of the survey reaches four conclusions:

• Customers explicitly prefer vehicles arriving on time over shorter wait times. This suggests that the ability to keep to a schedule is actually more important than improving the frequency of vehicle arrival. It also underscores the importance of the Next Vehicle Information System and its ability to communicate up‐to‐date and accurate information...

I disagree with the first point in that, yes, knowing when the next vehicle will appear is a good thing. However, when the predicted time clearly shows that it will arrive after a gap that bears no resemblance to the scheduled service, this simply tells a rider what they already know, that the schedule cannot be trusted.

I love public transit. Tax me more for more funding. I've always been happy that the TTC exists with great coverage despite its warts (I've been in cities with no broad coverage). This is the first time though that I'm seriously considering getting a car. The unreliable schedules are just too much of a hassle.

**how the fuck is there still not an app alternative to Uber in toronto?! cab companies get your shit together.

Fuzzy

It's almost impossible to keep to a schedule when you have bus routes that are so long through traffic though. If you're not willing to leave earlier than you want to, and yes your example proves that's exactly what you have to do, then pay through the nose for a car.

I live in Scarborough and was working DT on Adelaide so I checked the TTC planner to see what time I should leave. It said to leave my house every morning at 5:30am to be at work by 6:45 (I already added a 15-minute buffer to be early) and I would instead leave 5:10-5:15am to make fucking sure I was never late. That was taking one bus and one subway then walking through the PATH, I would've left even earlier if I had more transfers. I did this because I'd rather get to work early and chill with a coffee and play on my phone every morning for a $6 round trip than save 30+ minutes in the morning to pay almost the same in gas and pay $20-30 a day in parking plus have the aggravation of driving out of DT at 3:30pm which would only save me maybe 20 minutes on the trip home.

Taxing more or riders paying more won't make buses fly through the air over traffic and sending even more buses would just cause even more bunching. Best they can do is see where the buses are according to GPS and release the buses accordingly from their starting point to try to keep a steady interval between them. Even the subway can't keep to a strict schedule because we don't have workers holding passengers back so the train can close the doors at the exact same time and leave. That's not even counting any sort of track level problem.

Learn to love getting to work EARLY, not 10 minutes before like your scenario (8:20 + 30 minute trip to start at 9:00) and you'll never be late unless there's a major problem.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's almost impossible to keep to a schedule when you have bus routes that are so long through traffic though. If you're not willing to leave earlier than you want to, and yes your example proves that's exactly what you have to do, then pay through the nose for a car.

I live in Scarborough and was working DT on Adelaide so I checked the TTC planner to see what time I should leave. It said to leave my house every morning at 5:30am to be at work by 6:45 (I already added a 15-minute buffer to be early) and I would instead leave 5:10-5:15am to make fucking sure I was never late. That was taking one bus and one subway then walking through the PATH, I would've left even earlier if I had more transfers. I did this because I'd rather get to work early and chill with a coffee and play on my phone every morning for a $6 round trip than save 30+ minutes in the morning to pay almost the same in gas and pay $20-30 a day in parking plus have the aggravation of driving out of DT at 3:30pm which would only save me maybe 20 minutes on the trip home.

Taxing more or riders paying more won't make buses fly through the air over traffic and sending even more buses would just cause even more bunching. Best they can do is see where the buses are according to GPS and release the buses accordingly from their starting point to try to keep a steady interval between them. Even the subway can't keep to a strict schedule because we don't have workers holding passengers back so the train can close the doors at the exact same time and leave. That's not even counting any sort of track level problem.

Learn to love getting to work EARLY, not 10 minutes before like your scenario (8:20 + 30 minute trip to start at 9:00) and you'll never be late unless there's a major problem.

uh no, you're completely off. It's possible to have better reliability than what the TTC is offering (other countries do and at cheaper prices too). It's reasonable to miss a scheduled stop by a minute or so in a long route through traffic but the point is the TTC is no longer even trying. Buses leave the terminal whenever they feel like it. Look at the data for yourself: The Reliable Unreliability of TTC Service. The service levels are poor and simply not a core consideration of TTC management's mandate.

As if the TTC doesn't have major problems all the time. Fuck that

Fuzzy

uh no, you're completely off. It's possible to have better reliability than what the TTC is offering (other countries do and at cheaper prices too). It's reasonable to miss a scheduled stop by a minute or so in a long route through traffic but the point is the TTC is no longer even trying. Buses leave the terminal whenever they feel like it. Look at the data for yourself: The Reliable Unreliability of TTC Service. The service levels are poor and simply not a core consideration of TTC management's mandate.

As if the TTC doesn't have major problems all the time. Fuck that
Best they can do is see where the buses are according to GPS and release the buses accordingly from their starting point to try to keep a steady interval between them.
I never said that's what they do, just that's the best they could do. ;)

zroid

Banned
I was sitting in a restaurant on Thorncliffe Park Dr waiting for my order and saw a particular WiFi network available nearby. The SSID was "I am a asshole" (sic)

never knew Kuro lived there

Holy fuck traffic is a motherfuck all over North York. Never seen this much congestion since that one snowstorm early this year.

I was sitting in a restaurant on Thorncliffe Park Dr waiting for my order and saw a particular WiFi network available nearby. The SSID was "I am a asshole" (sic)

never knew Kuro lived there

Which restaurant? So much good food in Thorncliffe in general.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The absurdity of this rubber duck never truly set in until I saw it on cp24 this morning

...why?
No Fun Allowed

Go yell at some clouds, old man!
I think it's a waste, personally
Anyone have Canada Day weekend plans?

On Monday I plan on finally going to Electric Mud.
Looking for suggestions besides the platter to try.

I wanted to try Adamson's BBQ but it looks like it's closed until next week.
Was gonna say Adamson BBQ would be nice to try...still I think there's a Toronto Ribfest going on, no?

Fuzzy

They're spending money for people to have something to look at that will be gone pretty quickly. Sounds like a waste of money just like fireworks but you never hear people complaining about that one.

zroid

Banned
i don't really mind the premise of the rubber duck

it's just... why a rubber duck

surely there could have been something else which is more interesting to look at, or relevant to Canada150?

Fuzzy

They should've put fake raccoons everywhere like Lastman did with the moose. At least raccoons are a symbol of this city.

Top Bottom