• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silver Case |OT| Kill The Past

Chapter 2 (Spectrum) was
so sad. :(

Has anybody had success running this game in Wine on Mac? I've gotten through #0 Lunatics now both on the Steam and DRM free versions of the game (not that it should really make a difference, but I gave it a shot anyway) and my game always crashes at the very beginning of #1 Decoyman before the movie with the guys sitting on the benches can even load in. Any suggestions??

I'd recommend playing the game through Parallels (I'm using a 15 day trial) and use a Windows 10 ISO (which I got from Microsoft website). Just playing the game via Wine didn't run on my Mac very well at all. They are porting the game to Mac as well, so you can wait for that if you want or just use a virtual machine since Wine is just unstable for me with it (kept crashing when I tried to save the game). Now I'm using Parallels virtual machine, it worked on Windows 10 really well.

The prequel comic is damn short, but I like it. More interesting for the Moonlight Syndrome references than anything else.

Uh, what the hell HAPPENED in the Syndrome games?...
http://www.paradisehotel51.com/ts.html

There you go.

Massive spoilers, obviously, but who knows when or if that's gonna get localized.

The man from the beginning of Chapter 0, Ryo Kazan:

ruopurofile.jpg

tumblr_nabxcaDByD1qfni9go4_r1_400.gif

The younger brother of Kyoko Kazan. They shared a bond with each other that far exceeded even the kinship of blood. The Kazan's were involved in an incest relationship with one another. Sumio had Kyoko killed, because he was jealous of the affection that Kyoko had for her brother.
(Note, this is not the Sumio from Silver Case/FSR.
Welcome to draw connections, though!)

Yayoi showed Ryo to the v.i.p. room of a night club called "Lost Highway". Sumio was in the backroom waiting for Ryo to show up. Yayoi handed Ryo a bag. Inside the bag was Kyoko's head. Ryo kept her head after Sumio was killed during a double homicide by an ex lover.

Ryo received a phone call from Kyoko shortly after he returned home. However this is impossible, because Kyoko is dead. It's around this time that Ryo's mind starts to twist & turn the reality around him little by little. (This eventually escalates into full blown madness by the time we see Ryo in Silver Case.)

lunaticryo1.jpg

kyokodead.jpg

The head in the bag is Kyoko, Ryo's sister.

Rumi Toba
toubapurfiru.jpg

The woman who
kills Ryo and then is killed by Tetsugoro
at the end of Chapter 0.

Is the fan translation still happening or on the back burner for now?

cj_iwakura

Chapter 2 (Spectrum) was
so sad. :(

I'd recommend playing the game through Parallels (I'm using a 15 day trial) and use a Windows 10 ISO (which I got from Microsoft website). Didn't run on my Mac very well at all. They are porting the game to Mac as well, so you can wait for that if you want or just use a virtual machine since Wine is just unstable for me with it (kept crashing when I tried to save the game)/

Is the fan translation still happening or on the back burner for now?
Still waiting on Vermillion's translation.

The prequel comic is damn short, but I like it. More interesting for the Moonlight Syndrome references than anything else.

Uh, what the hell HAPPENED in the Syndrome games?...
http://www.paradisehotel51.com/ts.html

There you go.

Massive spoilers, obviously, but who knows when or if that's gonna get localized.

The man from the beginning of Chapter 0, Ryo Kazan:

ruopurofile.jpg

tumblr_nabxcaDByD1qfni9go4_r1_400.gif

The younger brother of Kyoko Kazan. They shared a bond with each other that far exceeded even the kinship of blood. The Kazan's were involved in an incest relationship with one another. Sumio had Kyoko killed, because he was jealous of the affection that Kyoko had for her brother.
(Note, this is not the Sumio from Silver Case/FSR.
Welcome to draw connections, though!)

Yayoi showed Ryo to the v.i.p. room of a night club called "Lost Highway". Sumio was in the backroom waiting for Ryo to show up. Yayoi handed Ryo a bag. Inside the bag was Kyoko's head. Ryo kept her head after Sumio was killed during a double homicide by an ex lover.

Ryo received a phone call from Kyoko shortly after he returned home. However this is impossible, because Kyoko is dead. It's around this time that Ryo's mind starts to twist & turn the reality around him little by little. (This eventually escalates into full blown madness by the time we see Ryo in Silver Case.)

lunaticryo1.jpg

kyokodead.jpg

The head in the bag is Kyoko, Ryo's sister.

Rumi Toba
toubapurfiru.jpg

The woman who
kills Ryo and then is killed by Tetsugoro
at the end of Chapter 0.

You post this, then I look at chapter 0 and then...I still don't know what the fuck is going on lol. Like I have a basic grasp of what's going on, but the whole picture is just a big blur on my mind. Well, thats Suda's stories in a nutshell.

On chapter 3.

Chapter 2 was cool I guess, but there's a clear dissonance between what was told in the main story and the Tokio version. Are Tokio's chapters wrote by a different writer? They don't look like Suda usual writing. Also these ones has a clear pacing issue, the transitions makes everything flow so slowly, I wish these ones had a more usual VN presentation.

SilentRob

OK, so just to make sure:

After finishing Chapter 1 I should switch over to Placebo, play Report 1 and then continue to switch back and forth as I unlock both storylines? That's the prefered way of playing this?

cj_iwakura

OK, so just to make sure:

After finishing Chapter 1 I should switch over to Placebo, play Report 1 and then continue to switch back and forth as I unlock both storylines? That's the prefered way of playing this?
Right. And yes, different writers. Suda did Transmitter, another did Placebo.

50 from PC Gamer's Fraser Brown. "An intriguing but often incoherent mystery that’s bogged down by long-winded dialogue and terrible puzzles."

Just got back into it after taking a break. Decoyman was quite good. Tetsu's weekend retreat didn't seem very long though. Was a little confused by the bodily fluids in one of the victims. If Kamui was impotent then how do they explain that?

Dascu

Finished it earlier today, really liked it. The story's also relatively straightforward (compared to FSR and Killer7 in my opinion), especially with Placebo.

Anybody else having trouble playing this with a controller? It's marked as having full controller support, presumably using the Xbox 360 controller input method, but I'm having issues. Using a DualShock 4 with an Xbox 360 controller clone profile through Inputmapper, it seems that left on the d-pad is always pressed, making menus hard to navigate and only letting you turn left during movement at random. It also nullifies left on the analog stick and keyboard. It's almost the same when using a Steam Controller (also with an Xbox 360 controller clone profile) except left is nullified for everything including the d-pad.

Also, are there shortcuts for the different commands on controller by default? I can't find them. There are for keyboard, and they're a godsend. Seriously, I probably wouldn't be playing this if I had to cycle the menu for everything (except Contact, which seems to be mapped to Y).

Ultimately I had to make a Steam Controller profile that used the mouse and keyboard controls and make sure to only turn the controller on after booting the game to get things working properly. Oh, and I have to boot from Big Picture Mode if I want at all convenient access to the Steam overlay once I'm in-game. That strikes me as unfortunate, since this is a game that was originally designed with controller in mind. Is there some problem on my end, or is this how it is for everyone?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Decoyman and started the next chapter but haven't touched the Placebo ones yet. Guess I should catch up after this chapter. So far the only complaint is that the direct control sections seems a little pointless. Just walking around in circles for awhile.

cj_iwakura

Finished Decoyman and started the next chapter but haven't touched the Placebo ones yet. Guess I should catch up after this chapter. So far the only complaint is that the direct control sections seems a little pointless. Just walking around in circles for awhile.

Do Placebo first.

Finished this up this morning and I've got nothing but good things to say about it. Now I have to finally play Flower, Sun, and Rain, Killer7 is overdue for a replay, and now that I think about it I wanna play through most of the main Grasshopper Manufacture games again...

Seriously, though, to anyone on the fence: this is one of the most unique gaming experiences I've ever had. There's truly nothing like it. If you want to experience something different and are willing to be patient during some of the games more testing scenes, this is a fantastic purchase. I can't recommend it enough.

Dascu

Does anyone have a summary of what happens in 25th Ward? Is it a full-fledged game or a shorter case/expansion?

cj_iwakura

The swearing isn't that heavy in Japanese?

Swearing isn't really as big a 'thing' in Japanese, more like characters talking in harsher, less respectful tones.

It's extensive, but I think it fits the universe. Suda was involved with the localization, so I'm sure he approved on some level.

Game keeps crashing my W10 virtual desktop when progressing through Part 2 of the Journalist's (Tokio's) story boots me back to my Mac OS... :/

Does anyone have a summary of what happens in 25th Ward? Is it a full-fledged game or a shorter case/expansion?

According to Wiki: the game was divided into three scenarios of five episodes each. Sounded expansive enough for me. It was being remade for the DS as a separate game from The Silver Case, I believe. It's really obscure even in Japan.

Can't find footage of it anywhere. Looks like it retains the black and white artwork from Parade and features multiple protagonists (some returning, some new). Hope we get that remade as well.

Is there any info on their sales expectations for this game? I know it's pretty niche and just came out this month, but the steamspy numbers don't look too encouraging ( 2,327 - 5,649 owners).

Hopefully it picks up some sales during the winter sale.

cj_iwakura

Is there any info on their sales expectations for this game? I know it's pretty niche and just came out this month, but the steamspy numbers don't look too encouraging ( 2,327 - 5,649 owners).

It's getting hit by misinformed user reviews, too, especially the two on GOG. I tried to offset the damage, but I don't think they had ridiculously high expectations. This was targeted to a very specific niche, and at the end of the day, this is still the hail mary localization of the decade.

Tizoc

Again going through the game at my own (slow) pace and I just got to the part in decoyman
where Sumio are talking Kamui being tied up
Holy shit.

Dascu

http://gematsu.com/2016/10/silver-case-remaster-coming-ps4-2017

Looks like The Silver Case is coming to PS4 next year!

I think sales/discounts will help (as with any Steam release these days), plus some extra visibility thanks to the PS4 port.

Golnei

Going through this really slowly, but I'm liking it so far - it has an infectious atmosphere and pretty endearing cast, the jank of the 3D elements is almost harnessed as a strength for the former. Some elements of the sound design are notably effective as well - the deep click of the location text sounds eerily like an assisted breathing apparatus, and the "my room" theme is wonderfully unnerving. I know it's because I experienced them backwards, but in a few ways it shares elements of Killer7 that I had wanted to see more of, mainly to do with the direction.

Also, I wonder how Morikawa's '
put your stupid comments in your pocket
' line is situated in the Great Localisation Meme Debate - I'll admit I sort of shrieked when I heard it, just because of how unexpected it was (and his visual similarities to Wiseau clicking into place), but was it justified in the context of the script?

cj_iwakura

It's an experience best savored. I try to take a break after each chapter. The spoiler thread will be worth the wait, promise.

cj_iwakura

https://www.inverse.com/article/22320-goichi-suda-suda51-interview-silver-case-killer-7 FANTASTIC interview on FSR and TSC. Stuff I never even noticed. FSR/TSC spoilers.

Where did the idea of using a numerical system to solve every puzzle come from?

I put a lot of puzzles into Silver Case, and they’re pretty varied, with a lot of different types and systems. And when I started making FSR, I knew I wanted puzzles too. But I thought Silver Case overdid it a bit. I feel like I made players go through too much.

With FSR, I wanted to break things down into something more simple. Instead of doing all these different puzzles that are unrelated thematically, it would have the same type of puzzle throughout the game. So I went with a numerical system for that instead.
And numbers just made sense for that kind of thing?

I decided to tie the design together with Sumio. He’s got Catherine, this coding system he keeps in a briefcase that he always carries with him. That was just an idea that popped into my head, but I thought, “okay, this really fits with who Sumio is, what kind of a guy he is.” Numbers just made sense to work with that.

Golnei

Went through HANA tonight. I can see why Placebo's pacing could turn people off, but I kind of like it - the repetitive, seldom-broken loop of bed to computer is strangely comforting and sort of nostalgic - also, the kind of spaces the rooms of each scenario's protagonist serve as and the amount of time spent in each respectively are a pretty effective contrast. Morishima is growing on me as well, his reaction to the bartender going in on Red was amazing.

And the bit with the Transmitter protagonist at the door was predictable, but still a very effective payoff to the setup in Spectrum.

Also, just a random thought, but did anyone think of LOVE Wilcox when love1999.exe came up in YUME?

https://www.inverse.com/article/22320-goichi-suda-suda51-interview-silver-case-killer-7 FANTASTIC interview on FSR and TSC. Stuff I never even noticed. FSR/TSC spoilers.

Thanks for that, I skimmed over one or two questions that seemed spoilery, but the rest was really interesting. I'm not sure if the couple of comments Suda's made recently regarding returning to directing with a small adventure game/VN are just empty PR, but I would love to see something new in this style.

Also...

Translator: He was trying to bullshit you at first, but I got him to admit that was actually a coincidence.

Suda: Yeah.

I seriously think Tokio is the best character in the game, followed closely by Sumio, of course.

About Tsuki Part 2 though (Tokio's third Case/story)...

tumblr_naj0th4osS1rr5qhqo2_r1_500.gif

My mind was blown...

HUGE Silver Case/FSR spoilers:
Sumio was deaf all along? WHAT IN THE FUUUUUCK? Now those weird voices in FSR make even more sense. The implications here is all kinds of fucked up and crazy considering the turn of events during Parade and Tsuki...like how messed up Sumio is mentally and how he ends up tripping out making his own reality in FSR and sees people but is lip reading and those weird reverb voices we hear so much of...it wasn't just an aesthetic choice, after all? What in the fuck, man.

Just wrapped up Decoyman. That escalated pretty quickly. I'm enjoying it so far and can't wait until it starts throwing those wtf moments at me.

jonjonaug

parade:
I figured it out because I remembered he could lip read, but the ending of this chapter and Tsuki hit pretty hard. Poor Sumio :(

parade:
I figured it out because I remembered he could lip read, but the ending of this chapter and Tsuki hit pretty hard. Poor Sumio :(

Don't know if you've played Flower, Sun & Rain but does it mean that
Sumio was making up a lot of the events of Flower, Sun & Rain game in his own mind or something?
I have no idea now.

Don't know if you've played Flower, Sun & Rain but does it mean that
Sumio was making up a lot of the events of Flower, Sun & Rain game in his own mind or something?
I have no idea now.
In short,
the events in that game did happen, the thing that wasn't real was his new identity as Sumio Mondo, which was a lie big enough that he essentially believed it after a while. It takes meeting with Tokio near the end of FSR and Kusabi on the plane to fully remind him of who he is (the latter is where the Film Window gets reintroduced in that scene to further cement that Sumio's basically woken up from his illusion).

At least, based on what I remember from FSR. Playing Silver Case has definitely tempted me to revisit, but I think one playthrough of all that walking and puzzles was enough for a lifetime.

cj_iwakura

Working my way through Parade(ENJOY DRIVE), and someone I follow pointed out the major changes for Parade. Probably the biggest, since the artist said he'd done new artwork some time ago(as mentioned in the Art of GHM):

Cvf8OiEUAAAOn3q.jpg

And another example:

CvgKPcbXgAQ51Mv.jpg

CvgKOqwW8AAsXTd.jpg

(Take a close look at that bulletin board to the left of the projection screen.)

In short,
the events in that game did happen, the thing that wasn't real was his new identity as Sumio Mondo, which was a lie big enough that he essentially believed it after a while. It takes meeting with Tokio near the end of FSR and Kusabi on the plane to fully remind him of who he is (the latter is where the Film Window gets reintroduced in that scene to further cement that Sumio's basically woken up from his illusion).

At least, based on what I remember from FSR. Playing Silver Case has definitely tempted me to revisit, but I think one playthrough of all that walking and puzzles was enough for a lifetime.

Are you really sure about that, i mean The Silver Case is weird but set in the same world but there's no
pink alligators, flying drunk vampires, time loops, Sumio dying and coming back to life, hidden underground facility with cloned bodies, 50+ cloned versions of Sumio out there etc. Silver Case is weird, but anywhere near FSR's levels?

I'd personally say that
it seems like the events of FSR are within his dream which he wakes from whilst on the plane to see his best friend Kusagi sat next to him to take him to prison somewhere. It was all basically Sumio experiencing freedom within his dream one last time before his prison sentence due to the events of Parade. Really quite sad when you think about it...

cj_iwakura

Are you really sure about that, i mean The Silver Case is weird but set in the same world but there's no
pink alligators, flying drunk vampires, time loops, Sumio dying and coming back to life, hidden underground facility with cloned bodies, 50+ cloned versions of Sumio out there etc. Silver Case is weird, but anywhere near FSR's levels?

I'd personally say that
it seems like the events of FSR are within his dream which he wakes from whilst on the plane to see his best friend Kusagi sat next to him to take him to prison somewhere. It was all basically Sumio experiencing freedom within his dream one last time before his prison sentence due to the events of Parade. Really quite sad when you think about it...
This does make a lot of sense.

Chapter 4: My mind is full of fuck and placebo chapter didn't helped unlike the other chapters. Is like the writer was like:"Nope, not even trying to rationalize this one".

Finished. A couple of questions. Who was
the man Tokio saw
at the end of Hikari?
Kusabi
? And what the hell was with the
silver eyes
stuff in the epilogue? Was that all just bullshit?

Oh, and I was able to clear up the controller issues I was having. Turned out I had a conflicting driver that was making stuff go haywire. Mapping mouse and keyboard controls is still the best way to go with this game on controller though, I think.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
AH yes, I should metion that I am interviewing ACM about this project, so if anybody has any questions they wish to pass along I will mention them to them.

Gemeanie

AH yes, I should metion that I am interviewing ACM about this project, so if anybody has any questions they wish to pass along I will mention them to them.

Is it fine to ask them if the game did well enough to warrant Ward 25 or FSR remake?

Dascu

I'd personally say that

This is the way I interpret it as well. There are so many parallels between The Silver Case and FSR, that FSR's story really seemed to me like a kind of dream sequence inspired by those events in The Silver Case. It feels quite in character for Sumio: Someone who hides away in fantasy to forget/ cover up bad things.

I recall Kusabi also mentioning the line 'flower, sun and rain' in The Silver Case to Sumio.

Golnei

Quite liked Kamuiδρόμος - it had some aspects I'm hoping will get cleared up a little more in AI, but overall the strength of some of its subject matter and character interaction (the Sumio/Kusabi scenes were great here) carried it.

First off, the entire 90s internet aesthetic was amazing; but the retro presentation didn't fully dull the impact of the subject matter, especially given when it was written. The whole
Sayaka Baian situation was impressively skeevy - and maybe it's due to the localisation, but the chat was spot on as well "Baian doesn't take shits! / a guy? A GUY?".
The one thing I was kind of unsure about was whether it was supposed to just be
Nakategawa and Morikawa you saw commenting
- the rest of the scene worked better dramatically under the impression that they were supplemented by faceless viewers, intruding en masse into the private footage.

feels bad man
aap9uel.png

(I'm sorry, it's literally all I could think of when I saw it.)

I'm not sure what to think of
Nakama and Furuya
just yet, but their pillow talk scene did give me very strong Killer is Dead vibes for whatever reason - though that game really didn't manage to deliver anything interesting with any of the symbolism it gestured at.
I wasn't expecting them to suddenly turn into SMT alignment heroes afterwards - but I guess that's a given when one of them goes by the handle Neutral. They did do a great job of selling the bathos of their personae with that one piece of artwork where she's clinging to him - that backwards belt, that ridiculous thigh window, the Team Rocket pose...and then followed by the incredibly cheesy Method Tank video. It's actually quite impressive that the chapter's intentional 90s CGI cheese and unintended 90s CGI cheese are so distinct when viewed so many years later.

Also, I wasn't expecting the 'Helter Skelter' or 'Bad Girl' name to show up here at all.
In hindsight, it's a shame we never got a NMH assassin called MonsterDong420 - maybe that was Travis.

I'd personally say that

"Sumio, you're escaping into fantasy now."
"All those sweet-ass thoughts are just fuelling your imagination..."

cj_iwakura

I'd personally say that

As much as I like this theory, just wanted to share with you what the Paradise Hotel guys think(who have THE KTP news source on the web).

(Apologies in advance, he's a very candid speaker.)
"That's a shit theory because FSR happens years after SC, lol. Wasn't Sumio already in prison? Sakura is the one who interrogates him. There's even a chapter in between Lifecut that was only released as a novel which is about Sakura questioning Sumio.

I'm also not a fan of everybody being a part of his subconscious. It makes Yayoi's appearance irrelevant. I like the detail of her being an antagonist in MS, but is just a guest in FSR. The plot makes more sense as just a counter espionage between a government agency and a globalist faction. I honestly don't see what's so wrong with the game just being perspectives of multiple host bodies. It's what Sundance tells you when you beat the game.

I really don't understand the fascination of making the game's plot more complicated than it actually is. Nearly every single answer that I've seen Suda51 gave (in either English or Jap) have always been answers that were fairly simple and straight forward. They're always politically related. It's just sometimes the politics revolves around retarded bullshit such as the valuable resource known as silver eyes."

Top Bottom