• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

knerl

Launch Switch. Zero scratches on the back. I have a screen protector so can't speak for the screen.

I usually blow the dock with compressed air before I put the Switch in if I am gonna use the dock. Maybe it helps, I dunno.

To me it's unreal that dust (unless we're talking more grain like dust) would or even could cause anything remotely like this. If it was such an issue Nintendo and everyone else would would have to warn you about having to do this to avoid it. Too many people are having this issue myself included now and you can bet your asses it's down to all docks not being correctly carved/molded and smoothed out. I'm gonna contact Nintendo and see what they have to say even though I get a feeling they don't want to take responsibility for anything regarding defects.

I have some scratches on the back of my Switch also. Kind of very annoying that this is even an issue.

My joycons have also started to feel a little more wobblier when on the actual Switch unit. That definitely was not the case when I first got it at launch.

That's why you just buy a male USB-C to a female USB-C and set the switch up on a stand and lay the dock flat. My switch is scratch free, and has not once gotten uncomfortably warm to where I was worried about it overheating

Are all USB-C cables created equal when it comes to using it for the Switch? If you have an amazon link to the one you're using that would be handy, thanks.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Well, just over three weeks after I bought a Switch and mine is developing scratches on the left side of the screen where the dock rail comes in contact. I should have listened to my gut and gotten a screen protector on day one. Been trying to baby this thing but obviously it wasn't enough.

The scratches are only on the bezel so far and I know a lot of people would tell me to just get over it, but I kinda love the Switch, and this sorta feels like the first dent in the fender of a new car. (Never actually owned a brand new car, but I'm assuming.)

Since I'm still within my initial 30 days, what's my best option here? Is Nintendo going to send me a refurb console if I put in for a repair? I'm not thrilled about the idea of swapping out a brand new thing for a refurb, but GameStop will only do a console exchange for defects, and I'm not sure I can convince them this dock problem qualifies.

Well, just over three weeks after I bought a Switch and mine is developing scratches on the left side of the screen where the dock rail comes in contact. I should have listened to my gut and gotten a screen protector on day one. Been trying to baby this thing but obviously it wasn't enough.

The scratches are only on the bezel so far and I know a lot of people would tell me to just get over it, but I kinda love the Switch, and this sorta feels like the first dent in the fender of a new car. (Never actually owned a brand new car, but I'm assuming.)

Since I'm still within my initial 30 days, what's my best option here? Is Nintendo going to send me a refurb console if I put in for a repair? I'm not thrilled about the idea of swapping out a brand new thing for a refurb, but GameStop will only do a console exchange for defects, and I'm not sure I can convince them this dock problem qualifies.

I can see Nintendo doing something for you. At the very least, they will potentially offer more help than Gamestop ever would. I would give it a try with their customer service as you haven't had the system for very long. If they end up giving you a new console your saves will be transferred and the like.

For the future, grab these guys: https://www.amazon.com/amFilm-Tempered-Screen-Protector-Nintendo/dp/B01N3ASPNV/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_421_bs_tr_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2T25D3MHT27CY1M907A6 Easy to install and perfect for what you need.

I'd also recommend keeping an adequately-sized book in the Switch dock in between sessions where the console is in there. Over time the dock will widen out enough.

sector4

My switch also has scratches on the rear and I baby that thing when putting it in and out of the dock.

What do you guys seriously think people are doing with their Switch's to scratch them from excessive force? lol Slamming their Switch in and yanking it out? There's obviously something wrong with the dock that scratches the front and back of the device. I had a few light marks on the front bezel before I put a screen protector on as well, and you have no idea how careful I was when putting it in and out in the first week after reading stories here and before I could get a screen protector.

I'll take a pic tonight of the marks on the back, it's only on one side too.

RPGam3r

Still going strong with no scratches with my launch version. I don't understand some of the "scratches" I see here, cause some of those are more like gouges.

Tried to nab a photo of my Switch's Backside. I have very light scratches on the back right (Left if it's screen towards you).

I can only really see them in the right light. I will say I'm not the most gentle when docking and I do plop it down on my bed and set it somewhat carelessly down on the counter when in the kitchen.

I have no idea how the guy with the last photos got his so bad. I'd like to think I'm actually quite haphazard with my Switch. So such light scratches are strange, in comparison.

Edit: I too, have a tempered glass screen protector.

no scratches here . launch version and im pretty rough with it

Same. Still no scratches at all on my launch day Switch, and it has been in and out of the dock multiple times per day just about every single day since then (with the exception of the days I have been traveling, so pretty much every day except maybe a total of two weeks worth of days or so).

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Same. Still no scratches at all on my launch day Switch, and it has been in and out of the dock multiple times per day just about every single day since then (with the exception of the days I have been traveling, so pretty much every day except maybe a total of two weeks worth of days or so).

Yeah this baffles me, I've probably taken mine in and out of the dock a dozen times or less since I got it (I've really only played it in TV mode so far) and it's never left my house or gone into a case. I've tried to be gentle as hell the few times I did take it out since I knew this was a problem from back at launch, but still it's already picking up scratches. Whatever's causing this, it seems like pretty bad dock design that you can't avoid damaging the system just by using it as intended.

No scratch problems so far but one of my joycon (right one) does not stay securely locked on the console anymore. After a careful examination I discovered that the little tab depressed by the release button is bent or maybe broken.

Although the joycon is not loose or especially wobbly it's detaching without having to press the release button which can happen while playing (sometimes) or when undocking the console (always).

Do you guys think it might be covered by the warranty? I will ask nintendo but I want to assess my chances before calling the customer service which is a toll call over here (France). Didn't find a relevant thread to ask this...

ronpontelle

Neo Member
No scratch problems so far but one of my joycon (right one) does not stay securely locked on the console anymore. After a careful examination I discovered that the little tab depressed by the release button is bent or maybe broken.

Although the joycon is not loose or especially wobbly it's detaching without having to press the release button which can happen while playing (sometimes) or when undocking the console (always).

Do you guys think it might be covered by the warranty? I will ask nintendo but I want to assess my chances before calling the customer service which is a toll call over here (France). Didn't find a relevant thread to ask this...
My left joycon stick got squeaky and a just felt wrong, every time I clicked it down.

I sent it off to Nintendo France no problem and they replaced it. I initially contacted Amazon and they refunded me the price of a new joycon, so now I have a spare! This was about April.

I wasn't prepared to go without the Switch just to fix a faulty controller!

czk

Typical COD gamer
Docked a few Times and have a scratch on the black bezel around the screen.

The problem is real.

Dremorak

Banned
Docked a few Times and have a scratch on the black bezel around the screen.

The problem is real.
Are you sure you didnt get it the last time it was out of the dock and only notice it later?

Ive got a scratch in bezel from my kids, but no scratches from the dock after having it simce launch and taking it in and out of the dock multiple times a day

My left joycon stick got squeaky and a just felt wrong, every time I clicked it down.

I sent it off to Nintendo France no problem and they replaced it. I initially contacted Amazon and they refunded me the price of a new joycon, so now I have a spare! This was about April.

I wasn't prepared to go without the Switch just to fix a faulty controller!

Merci pour la réponse!

Did you sent it directly directly to Nintendo or did you contact them beforehand?

Beepos

Finally noticed some light scratching on the back and on the black side bezels. Only noticeable under extremely bright light but guess if you were OCD it could bother you.

Must of happened recently has I have docked in and out quite a bit before that.

Curious for those who do dock in and out a lot, have you actually held it under a bright lamp and inspected the back and sides? Mine looks perfect in normal room light.

Deja

Still don't have any scratches, but I'm still using a screen protector. Got a little discolouration I guess I'd call it on the back, but my sweat is caustic or some shit. I literally destroy guitar strings at a ridiculous rate so I'm not too fussed about that.

However, if you google "switch crack power button" I'm starting to get that. It's only small at the minute but is definitely getting bigger. Also have a small crack coming out of the vent on the bottom left corner (with the screen facing me).

Zalman

I bought a Switch at launch and I still don't have any scratches. No screen protector. I don't think it's that difficult to make sure the screen doesn't touch the dock when sliding it in and out. I'm not saying it's smart design, but it's easy to avoid in my experience.

wrowa

Looking at my Switch, I’ve definitely got a small-ish scratch on the back right where the Switch slides into the dock. I’m using a glass screen protector though, so the dock definitely has less leeway than normally intended.

Can’t say I care either way, though. The Switch will collect its fair share of scratches over the coming years no matter what. As long as the screen remains scratch-free I’m fine.

ronpontelle

Neo Member
Merci pour la réponse!

Did you sent it directly directly to Nintendo or did you contact them beforehand?
De rien!

I contacted them via email (I'm English and my French isn't so good on the phone!), they emailed me a label to take to a local shop and it was picked up from there and fixed within a week.

Does anyone know if Nintendo replaces the front screen and how much it would cost?

If it's something reasonable I wonder if it's just easier to have them replace it once every 1-2 years rather than fiddling with screen protectors?

brad-t

Does anyone know if Nintendo replaces the front screen and how much it would cost?

If it's something reasonable I wonder if it's just easier to have them replace it once every 1-2 years rather than fiddling with screen protectors?

I don't see how mailing a system to Nintendo could ever be easier than applying a screen protector. And eventually you won't be able to. Just take the time to do it!

czk

Typical COD gamer
Are you sure you didnt get it the last time it was out of the dock and only notice it later?

Ive got a scratch in bezel from my kids, but no scratches from the dock after having it simce launch and taking it in and out of the dock multiple times a day
Maybe, I bought a screenprotector afterwards so I can sleep safely :)

ghibli99

I put on a protector today actually. Because of the back of mine. A protector doesn't push it back so much it justifies damage done to the back.
I took a closer look at the back of my Switch after posting that, and actually, the shininess I was talking about is probably from something else. It looks like the dock hasn't made any sort of mark at all on my Switch, and I dock/undock it quite often. I'm not super-careful with that process either, but take good care of it when it's in use.

iBlue

I have been super careful with my switch, i got a protector and everything, but today just noticed that on the back its all scratched, exactly where the dock things are.

any dock replacements that i should now? i paid too much for this thing..

Thread title should be updated to include scratching the backplate.

It's ridiculous this is happening, even to those of us that are overly careful with our devices. Sure, having scratches on your backplate isn't as bad as messing up the screen, but it's still annoying and lowers your resale value.

To those of you with scratched backplates, have Nintendo fix them. They need to own up to this, and also update the dock design with padding/extra room. Not to mention fix the manufacturing issue causing the bending. Too many of them are bent or misaligned.

I have been super careful with my switch, i got a protector and everything, but today just noticed that on the back its all scratched, exactly where the dock things are.

any dock replacements that i should now? i paid too much for this thing..

Thread title should be updated to include scratching the backplate.

It's ridiculous this is happening, even to those of us that are overly careful with our devices. Sure, having scratches on your backplate isn't as bad as messing up the screen, but it's still annoying and lowers your resale value.

To those of you with scratched backplates, have Nintendo fix them. They need to own up to this, and also update the dock design with padding/extra room. Not to mention fix the manufacturing issue causing the bending. Too many of them are bent or misaligned.

Mine is also scratched up around where the notches in the dock are (dozens of vertical scratches and only in the areas around those notches). I've been super careful, but apparently not with surgeon-like precision. This sucks :/

Why don't you try this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FM4ZQLQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I bought this from CableCreations - waiting for it to arrive.
the company seems to have revised it.

there's a number of users here who have used this as well.

I'm waiting for mine to arrive so I don't have to put the switch in the dock ever again. The unofficial docks are still coming but meanwhile this is cheap enough and it looks like a good solution to your problems.

My dock is bent and it definitively makes contact with the switch when I put it out of the dock, fortunately for me I haven't noticed any scratches yet but I don't want to risk it.

Well, I debated doing this for a while, and then said screw it - FOR SCIENCE!

I took my Switch, and slammed it in and out of the dock (bear in mind this is a dock that's absolutely leaning in towards the back, like so many are).

Video here:

https://db.tt/wptWKJuzQm

This thing is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to scratch. I don't know how you guys are doing it. I probably slammed the Switch in 100 times or more in the course of testing. I even SQUEEZED the dock while doing it. (The smudge you see is from the rubber pad, and wipes right off).

So what's going on here?

Also, I even ran my VW car key over the screen, and it didn't scratch the screen. I wasn't going to press super HARD, but you can definitely hear the scraping sounds. No scratches, not even hairline ones.

Video here:

https://db.tt/LkgTBysW5o

I have a second dock that I placed a book in to to straighten the opening, and - yes - it definitely straightens it to a noticeable degree, but since I did the bulk of my testing on the crooked one, I don't see this as the issue.

The only thing that results from slamming the Switch in and out of the dock - is a smudge on the screen from the rubber pad, that wipes off - even with a dry/non-oily finger.

So, take that as you will, but you do NOT need a screen protector for the Switch, and the dock - in my experience - is incredibly unlikely to scratch the screen.

The only way I can see the dock scratching the screen is if there's some particle of grit that gets stuck on the rubber pad at the bottom, but that would be an extreme case.

I of course believe people are scratching their Switch consoles, but it boggles my mind how it's happening.

Anyway, this relaxes me a ton, and reminds me a good deal of the PS Vita screen. Yep, people were scratching those, too, but I haven't put a scratch on mine and it's held up super well (unlike the PSP screen, which was a scratch MAGNET and terribly non-durable).

So, there you go... have at it, and flame away as necessary. :)

As an aside, here's the movement difference between the straightened dock and a dock out of the box...

Vido here:

https://db.tt/7NkQbeN9Yq

And, omg #yellowgate! Which screen would you rather have? :)

cJcnLr7.jpg

Screen still scratch-free Poppy?

Pat

I also have scratches on the back due to the dock. No scratches on the screen since I got a glass protector the day I got the system.

Honestly, I was frustrated when I saw those scratches on the back but now I don't really care anymore since it doesn't affect my ability to play. I have no plans to resell it.

bobawesome

Yeah this baffles me, I've probably taken mine in and out of the dock a dozen times or less since I got it (I've really only played it in TV mode so far) and it's never left my house or gone into a case. I've tried to be gentle as hell the few times I did take it out since I knew this was a problem from back at launch, but still it's already picking up scratches. Whatever's causing this, it seems like pretty bad dock design that you can't avoid damaging the system just by using it as intended.

I noticed light scratches on my Switch's back a few weeks ago and now I can't unsee them. I've used my dock five, maybe six times since launch and they're still there. Thinking about biting the bullet and just buying a replacement backplate. Like someone mentioned in the thread, they're not very expensive. They're easy to replace, too.

Also, hi Brad.

edit: Whoops, missed your other post in the thread where you mention the problem being the front of the Switch.

It always impresses me how desperately people try to blame an obvious design flaw on the consumer.

This is a toy for children. It shouldn't require surgical precision to not scratch.

By deliberately designing a dock with multiple contact points, they've created scratching issues. Dust + pressure + motion = scratches.

Pineapple

So I'm about to pick up a Switch for Super Mario Odyssey. Is this still an issue? If I'm careful placing and removing the Switch from the dock, can I avoid scratches?

Skronk

Banned
So I'm about to pick up a Switch for Super Mario Odyssey. Is this still an issue? If I'm careful placing and removing the Switch from the dock, can I avoid scratches?

Day 1 Switch owner here and haven't seen a thing. I dock and remove it all the time and haven't really seen anything more than a smudge that you can rub away with your thumb.

Starting to think some of the people in this thread get commission on screen protectors or something.

I thought that this screen scratching stuff was just BS, but I've noticed lately that my screen protector is scratched to hell where the rails are. I'm always really careful, but I think my kids aren't as careful as I am.
Get a protector for peace of mind and you're all good.

maxcriden

I haven't had any issues (being very careful and honestly not undocking much since we only play docked) except some small rubbed marks on the lower left, on the bezel and not the screen itself.

Got one of the tempered glass protectors but haven't applied it yet. I think there were concerns in terms of whether they could melt in the dock. But, then I think people were saying they're ok as long as you let them set properly on the system for a period of time (maybe it was 1-2 days?) before applying. I don't remember too well I guess. But I'm sure at this point there are a lot of great up to date reviews out there about what's the best one to use.

Edit: oh and that's right, there was some issue with some docks not being straight, right? As mentioned in the post two posts above me. So then your concern would be greater as I understand it.

Spyware

Edit: oh and that's right, there was some issue with some docks not being straight, right? As mentioned in the post two posts above me. So then your concern would be greater as I understand it.

Yup. I have not played docked because I got a really bent one. :( I have to force the Switch down into it and that's not something I'm willing to risk. I have tried to straighten it by having (a slightly too big) book in it for days, but it goes back into the bent state overnight.
Now I'm just waiting for the Nyko dock to come back in stock. Not ever gonna use this official crap.

maxcriden

Yup. I have not played docked because I got a really bent one. :( I have to force the Switch down into it and that's not something I'm willing to risk. I have tried to straighten it by having (a slightly too big) book in it for days, but it goes back into the bent state overnight.
Now I'm just waiting for the Nyko dock to come back in stock. Not ever gonna use this official crap.

So sorry to hear that, seriously! That sucks. I think most docks weren't bent though. It's not worth it to get an official one and return it if it's a dud? Either way, hope the Nyko one comes in stock for you soon.

N.Grim

Call Nintendo for a replacement?

Top Bottom