• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Jimquisition - Indie AAA

Mexen

I think it takes a certain level of courage to admit being wrong about something and giving it the praise it deserves.
Jim didn't give it a 1 because Hellblade is a bad game, he did so because he encountered a game breaking glitch that sullied his experience up to that point. I don't agree with his emotional impulse first time around but I think it was respectable for him to reconsider his position.
And if a new topic relates to Hellblade positively and in a relevant context, then Jim should be able to speak freely.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Ok. It's far too repetitive though.
Whzt if I want to have fun playing it rather than making the story advance to see the ending ?
It's more of an experience than a game meant for traditional "fun." It's meant to be a simulation of sorts for what mental illness is like right down the "monotony" of stuff that when you look past it as a video game mechanic, shows the experiences that people go through, like trying to connect symbols for some purpose in this case there's "runes" on the doors, (
that don't actually exist since there's no magic or anything of the sort in Hellblade's world
that Senua has to unlock. The implications and thinking about these things on a deeper level and how they affect people in the real world, is what makes Hellblade "fun."

MrS

Banned
Also, his original review wasn't available mere hours after it went up. Curious to know how you were able to download the game, complete it in its entirety and watch the review in less than 6 hours.

Curious to know at what point in the following do I say I downloaded and completed the game in its entirety before watching Jim's review?

I had Hellblade pre-ordered so Jim's was the first review I saw after playing the game myself. Suffice to say I disagreed with the score and thought it was petty and not up to his usual standards.

TheSun

I think Amiel found new material.

But, yep. Good video, not too much of a fan of Ninja Theory, but I can acknowledge what they did was pretty ambitious. Let's see if others will follow this "Indie-Triple-A" deal.

FelipeMGM

Plenty of franchises could benefit from the approach. Those of us who loved The Order:1886 could have got a budgeted sequel. Maybe a follow up to Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time would exist, or Puppeteer 2.

In Puppeteer's case, it did launch at a budget price of $40. However it made about as much noise as a tree falling in the forest. Creator, Gavin Moore, hasn't been heard from much post-Puppeteer, but one interview he did mentioned steering clear of retail and focusing on the digital marketplace. You do that, and self publish, and there's one less hand in the cookie jar. Puppeteer sold so poorly it probably wouldn't have helped much in that case, but in certain scenarios it could be the difference between losing money or turning a profit.

I think a big part of Puppeteer failure was the timing. If it was a PS4 game I think things would've been very different, as more people would give a chance and realize it was a great budget game, and from there word of mouth could do wonders for the game. I mean, Knack arguably wasnt a good game and yet sold to the north of 2M

As for The Order, I doubt a budgeted sequel would work. The game had a cool story, with amazing world building and presentation and a neat base concept overall. It lacked deeply tho in the design aspects, and the depth of gameplay mechanics and systems. If anything a sequel would need more budget to focus on adressing those issues.

Nick_C

Curious to know at what point in the following do I say I downloaded and completed the game in its entirety before watching Jim's review?

My mistake. You played it for three hours, which renders his situation running into the game breaking bug moot.

Protome

The biggest PR stories surrounding Hellblade upon its launch were Jim's piss poor, spiteful review and the permadeath debacle. These topics were at the forefront of conversation when Hellblade launched. While Hellblade has been successful, NT could have done a better job with the PR, if only to allay customer fears.

I do enjoy Jim's grovelling and backpedalling RE Hellblade though, as if it will somehow erase the 1/10 score he gave it. We haven't forgotten, Jim, and your constant praise of the game won't make us forget either.

This is some hilarious edgelord nonsense, good job if this is some kind of joke you are dedicated to. Seek help if you are serious.

Yarbskoo

Review scores were a mistake. If he'd just had the written review where he praised the game and said "Oh by the way I couldn't even finish it because of a game breaking bug so if it gets shit later on don't be mad at me," no one would have complained because no one would have read it because no one reads reviews. They just look at the number and start shitposting.

CrazyHal

Completely agreed with Jim. I really hope to see more games like Hellblade. The day that we get lots of AAA quality games that are self publish by the devs and are cheaper will be a fanstatic day for us gamers.

Edit: Instead of saying "AAA quality games", i should have said "games that look AAA but are not".

Wulfram

Then you aren't paying attention. On top of a complete rebirth of stylized games being commonplace, there's also a ridiculous variety in terms of aesthetics not just from studio to studio but when you compare studios to each other.

OK, so we've got Blizzard looking like Blizzard, along with their imitators, Nintendo Nintendoing... um ... Dishonoured looks pretty distinct I guess, just like it did last gen. I'm not seeing it. Examples?

sjay1994

That's all window dressing though. Sure unity is a pretty game to look at and has some interesting tech, but it's baked around a boring as sin game with the most cookie cutter aaa design imaginable. Sure far cry primal does some interesting things with the language but the story it's servicing is threadbare and banal, and yeah it got rid of guns but replaced it with what ended up being some of the most boring first person combat I've ever seen mixed with the same boring cookie cutter aaa game and world design for the heart of the game.

The biggest sin of ubi development imo is that they have the space, tech, and worlds to do the most interesting and awesome games imaginable and do boring cookie cutter games with it that release as if off an assembly line.

Supposedly they've learned they can't get away with running in place for generations at a time anymore and ac:eek: and the new far cry are actually doing new things mechanically to try and break up the monotony a bit which is great, but after what a decade or so of them running on the same wheel year after year game after game I don't really blame any one for telling them to show first and I'll buy later.

Is it though?

With Unity there was an inherent idea to have that tech contribute to gameplay. The crowds were meant to act as a stealth tool. They failed, it was a crutch onto a game than a boon... but they tried something new. And I am so tired of people trying to push this narrative that they push out the same game.

Its not even a hot take. It's a take that is cold and stale, a dated joke that would have held water 2 years ago.

People like to keep harping on "lul towers, ubisoft games are all the same". But they are not. Structurally they share a framework that they developed with AC1 and iterated on.

They polished it up and refined it in AC2 and Brotherhood.

Far Cry 2, was considered a divisive game and thus they incorporated a formula they knew worked with AC into Farcry 3, and then iterated again on in 4, while primal was clearly experimental. You can say you didn't like how these games played because I also think Primal had a bad melee system and Unity felt like a mess to play.

But according to you it's all just set dressing. That entire naval mechanic they developed for AC3 and 4 is meaningless because the games shared a similar structural formula.

But this formula has shifted constantly and isn't the same in every game, with towers not being used as a way to reveal the map but instead as fast travel points, to their eventual removal from practically all ubi games. Fucks sake, AC:O is an action RPG now and Far Cry 5 has ditched typical linear constraints open worlds have and its story can be done non linearly.

Why don't other open worlds like R*'s get flack? They've been doing the same formula since GTA 3 of

1)Here is your open world to do fuck all
2) Here are you're hyper linear missions where you can't deviate from the intended path or else you will be punished
3)Here are all these distractions

According to you, everything in GTA and Red Dead Redemption is set dressing, because it's all using the same formula.

Or even Mario

You jump in Mario. You collect stars or try to reach a goal. They all inherently use the same formula, but have a unique gameplay tool such as gravity, or FLOOD or Possession.

All derivative because it's all basically using the rules they established with Mario 64.

Zelda has been using the same formula OoT pionnered until BoTW. Didn't stop them from getting praised with high scores and then hated on later into their life cycle. There are changes to gameplay, but I guess it was all just window dressing.

Trying to harp on their "open world formula", when series typically follow a formula is irritating. They might have maybe 3 games that followed this formula, but people act like these 3 are the only games they publish and then try to apply it to their entire catalog.

And it's bullshit.

You say their games are cookie cutter. Siege is straight up on of the best MP shooters in years, that does so many creative things with destruction. It is the one game I truly feel lives up to the "no two games are the same" marketing buzz put on MP games.

For Honor has a legitamately creative fight system and is an accessible fighter for people who can't do inputs.

So don't tell me "oh they have a cookie cutter formula". Other games from other studios took this and placed it into their own games. I appreciate that despite this, ubi at least understands when to change things or to iterate.

RooMHM

It's more of an experience than a game meant for traditional "fun." It's meant to be a simulation of sorts for what mental illness is like right down the "monotony" of stuff that when you look past it as a video game mechanic, shows the experiences that people go through, like trying to connect symbols for some purpose in this case there's "runes" on the doors, (
that don't actually exist since there's no magic or anything of the sort in Hellblade's world
that Senua has to unlock. The implications and thinking about these things on a deeper level and how they affect people in the real world, is what makes Hellblade "fun."
I can't agree with you because video games are an active medium and unlike a movie or a book where you see someones suffering or boredom, I can't accept that living that is fun without the interesting gameplay element to it.

But let's say I agree with you on that point. Did the developers have to restrict themselves to a most classical third person game with classical boring combat? Couldn't the spirit be conveyed in some more original or innovative manner ? Something not seen too much and interesting by itself ?

Wozman23

As for The Order, I doubt a budgeted sequel would work. The game had a cool story, with amazing world building and presentation and a neat base concept overall. It lacked deeply tho in the design aspects, and the depth of gameplay mechanics and systems. If anything a sequel would need more budget to focus on adressing those issues.

Possibly, but the benefit of a budgeted sequel is that you don't necessarily have to sell as many copies to recoup astronomical costs. There are a ton of people who disliked The Order on the whole, who would want more money thrown at it in an attempt to make it better. Not many publishers are going to throw more money at something that's already facing an uphill battle. I however enjoyed it as it was, found myself invested in the world, and would just love to see where Ready at Dawn planned on taking the franchise. There could still be a profitable avenue to explore by releasing a second game with the same mindset as the first, but with compromises on budget, basically just as fan service to those who did enjoy its niche appeal.

Ultimately that's the indie portion of "Independent AAA" - finding ways to make successful niche games.

Crossing Eden

OK, so we've got Blizzard looking like Blizzard, along with their imitators, Nintendo Nintendoing... um ... Dishonoured looks pretty distinct I guess, just like it did last gen. I'm not seeing it. Examples?
Play more games I guess.

I can't agree with you because video games are an active medium and unlike a movie or a book where you see someones suffering or boredom, I can't accept that living that is fun without the interesting gameplay element to it.
The entire point is that living through that on a day to day basis isn't fun.

But let's say I agree with you on that point. Did the developers have to restrict themselves to a most classical third person game with classical boring combat? Couldn't the spirit be conveyed in some more original or innovative manner ? Something not seen too much and interesting by itself ?
It is conveyed in an original manner, there's a documentary they created showing the process, when you're tackling this type of subject material, you have to do a good job to actually respect the people who go through it instead of glorifying it.

pa22word

Is it though?
Out of the two examples provided in AC Unity and Far Cry Primal? Yes, absolutely yes. You even admit as much when you say the core central idea to diferentiate on with unity vs the other games they absolutely failed to capitalize on and it ended up as *drumroll* (expensive, given the CPU cycles they burned on it) window dressing for a boring game!

If you want to talk about Siege, or South Park, or Rayman, or Valiant Hearts I'll be right there with you championing Ubi for doing cool shit. The post wasn't about those games though, it was about AC Unity and FC Primal. AC hasn't done anything new since AC2 just playing around with gimmick of the entry in the form of feature creep with tacked on fluff on top of the same base game AC2 was (who can forget the revolutionary bomb and fpv platforming in Revelations, amirite?). Far Cry ripped and tore out any of that unique identity out of itself with 3 and since has done nothing with the formula.

I have no idea why you are going on about AC:O and FC5 since I said the same damned thing you did in my post, just with a more cautious approach rather than what seems from here to be blind fanboyism.

-He admitted his review was an emotional response and that the fucked up (last time in this very thread, no less) apologized, owned up to it and changed the score to a very respectable 7/10.

- He said in the video that it wouldn't matter if the hated the game with a passion (which he doesn't) because what he's praising is Ninja Theory being efficient and smart about their business model and how it should set a positive precedent in the industry against the notion that big publishers are a necessity.

Anyone attacking it or going ¡We won forgeeeeeet!!!1! are either being intentionally obnoxious or need to rewatch the video. Jim isn't flawless but saying he's being an hypocrite and that he's trying to make us think he loves Hellblade now is missing the point completely.

Crossing Eden

SMG

Completely agreed with Jim. I really hope to see more games like Hellblade. The day that we get lots of AAA quality games that are self publish by the devs and are cheaper will be a fanstatic day for us gamers.

Edit: Instead of saying "AAA quality games", i should have said "games that look AAA but are not".
Games that look AAA but have little variety in environments, enimes and only has one character model with an expressive face.
Hellblade was OK but it was a novelty, an interesting test to see how designers can squeeze out as much as possible from so few pieces.

Harlequin

Games that look AAA but have little variety in environments, enimes and only has one character model with an expressive face.
Hellblade was OK but it was a novelty, an interesting test to see how designers can squeeze out as much as possible from so few pieces.

And with the lessons learned and money earned from Hellblade they'll be able to improve the process and find even more new, innovative ways to make development more efficient.

HotHamBoy

Break it down. Indie = independent (from publishers). If you're self-publishing you're indie. If a publisher buys the rights to your game you're still indie, if a publishers buys your studio then you're not indie anymore. 'Least this is the way I define it.

This is spot-on. Basically, indie is an extremely broad umbrella term. That's why saying "i don't like indie games" is truly ignorant.

Some of the greatest vetern developers who worked on iconic games we all love have gone indie.

sjay1994

Out of the two examples provided in AC Unity and Far Cry Primal? Yes, absolutely yes. You even admit as much when you say the core central idea to diferentiate on with unity vs the other games they absolutely failed to capitalize on and it ended up as *drumroll* (expensive, given the CPU cycles they burned on it) window dressing for a boring game!

If you want to talk about Siege, or South Park, or Rayman, or Valiant Hearts I'll be right there with you championing Ubi for doing cool shit. The post wasn't about those games though, it was about AC Unity and FC Primal. AC hasn't done anything new since AC2 just playing around with gimmick of the entry in the form of feature creep with tacked on fluff on top of the same base game AC2 was (who can forget the revolutionary bomb and fpv platforming in Revelations, amirite?). Far Cry ripped and tore out any of that unique identity out of itself with 3 and since has done nothing with the formula.

I have no idea why you are going on about AC:O and FC5 since I said the same damned thing you did in my post, just with a more cautious approach rather than what seems from here to be blind fanboyism.

Sorry, I misenterpreted what you meant, since I thought you were blanket stating everything ubi did, and not just those 2.

Apologies.

But we have very different meanings of "adding something new".

Crossing Eden

Hellblade has a variety of environments and assets what're you talking about? It never introduces something out of left field like a snow level but it definitely has a variety of aesthetics as you go through the game.

I was actually thinking of Watch Dogs. Or any game that features you climbing towers to expand the map to play medial mini quests.
Ah yiss another hot take. Surely you're referring to solely the first Watch Dogs then? Not the new one that came out a year ago? You know......the one that doesn't have towers and has a focus on exploration?

Well deserved praise for Ninja Theory, showing how you can make a good game without feeling the need to slap a $60 / £50 price tag on it for the sake of it, plus no DLC or Microtransactions and still be very successful.

It really does highlight a lot of things wrong with AAA games and publishers these days. Publishers are really getting greedy and hopefully more developers follow Ninja Theory and go independent, to give us gamers better value.

I'll give a nod to Sony and Naughty Dog too, for Uncharted The Lost Legacy and Everybody's Golf, both £25 games that still have the level of quality of a full priced game. Everybody's Golf might have microtransactions but it isn't stopping me playing the game and enjoying it, so it's a non issue unlike some games, NBA 2K18 for example.

Crossing Eden

Well deserved praise for Ninja Theory, showing how you can make a good game without feeling the need to slap a $60 / £50 price tag on it for the sake of it, plus no DLC or Microtransactions and still be very successful.
The cost of triple A games isn't "for the sake of it."

It really does highlight a lot of things wrong with AAA games and publishers these days. Publishers are really getting greedy and hopefully more developers follow Ninja Theory and go independent, to give us gamers better value.
It highlights how expensive things get once you need to fulfill the scope of a much larger game than Hellblade AND market that game to a large group of people. If we're gonna be completely honest, technically speaking, you're getting much more value out of a triple A game these days than a linear story driven experience at a reduced price.

I'll give a nod to Sony and Naughty Dog too, for Uncharted The Lost Legacy and Everybody's Golf, both £25 games that still have the level of quality of a full priced game. Everybody's Golf might have microtransactions but it isn't stopping me playing the game and enjoying it, so it's a non issue unlike some games, NBA 2K18 for example.
A lot of the cost of UC games is justified by their super grindy MT filled multiplayer.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Hellblade has a variety of environments and assets what're you talking about? It never introduces something out of left field like a snow level but it definitely has a variety of aesthetics as you go through the game.

Ah yiss another hot take. Surely you're referring to solely the first Watch Dogs then? Not the new one that came out a year ago? You know......the one that doesn't have towers and has a focus on exploration?

Probably. I dislike the genre (along with open world games in general) so I use all my hot take powers to largely avoid it.

Ahasverus

Hey Jim Sterling, now that you're in the here, let me ask you... How can I catch your accent? I find it incredibly sexy.

Everytime you say "triple A games" I get a hormonal rush.

The cost of triple A games isn't "for the sake of it."

It highlights how expensive things get once you need to fulfill the scope of a much larger game than Hellblade AND market that game to a large group of people. If we're gonna be completely honest, technically speaking, you're getting much more value out of a triple A game these days than a linear story driven experience at a reduced price.

A lot of the cost of UC games is justified by their super grindy MT filled multiplayer.

Sure not every AAA game is bad value but there are plenty that don't offer good value and can feel over priced for what they offer. Games like Uncharted The Lost Legacy show how a fully featured game (8 hour single player + multiplayer) don't have to be full priced and can offer very good value.

Sony / Naughty Dog could have easily sold it for full price, same with NT with Hellblade but they decided to offer better value. The main point is Publishers could sometimes offer better value but a lot of the time choose not to.

Crossing Eden

Probably. I dislike the genre (along with open world games in general) so I use all my hot take powers to largely avoid it.
If that's the case you should probably avoid talking about them too then if you don't have any interest in providing any insight besides misinformed preconceptions.

Sure not every AAA game is bad value but there are plenty that don't offer good value and can feel over priced for what they offer. Games like Uncharted The Lost Legacy show how a fully featured game (8 hour single player + multiplayer) don't have to be full priced and can offer very good value.
The cost of both are contextualized.

Sony / Naughty Dog could have easily sold it for full price, same with NT with Hellblade but they decided to offer better value. The main point is Publishers could sometimes offer better value but a lot of the time choose not to.
It was originally a smaller scale expansion but they increased the scope and thus sold it at a higher price. They didn't make a game as long as UC4 so no need to sell it for full price. You seriously should take into account the cost of development and marketing before saying devs don't charge based on value.

It was originally a smaller scale expansion but they increased the scope and thus sold it at a higher price. They didn't make a game as long as UC4 so no need to sell it for full price. You seriously should take into account the cost of development and marketing before saying devs don't charge based on value.

Yes it was originally a smaller scale DLC that turned into a full game, which would have cost them more money to make, yet they still sold it at half the price.

Each game is different of course but there are full price games that don't offer good value and publishers don't make it any better when they add shitty microtransactions into their full priced games, which frankly I think is taking the piss, so I fully agree with Jim on this one and welcome more independent games like Hellblade, that are willing to charge a reasonable amount, even though they could have changed more or added in microtransactions.

Even more so when it's one of the big boys like Sony and Naughty Dog offering full games that aren't full price, even though they could easily sell at full price.

Crossing Eden

Yes it was originally a smaller scale DLC that turned into a full game, which would have cost them more money to make, yet they still sold it at half the price.

Each game is different of course but there are full price games that don't offer good value and publishers don't make it any better when they add shitty microtransactions into their full priced games, which frankly I think is taking the piss, so I fully agree with Jim on this one and welcome more independent games like Hellblade, that are willing to charge a reasonable amount, even though they could have changed more or added in microtransactions.

Even more so when it's one of the big boys like Sony and Naughty Dog offering full games that aren't full price, even though they could easily sell at full price.
They could afford to sell it at a reduced price because although it got turned into a full game it likely didn't cost as much to develop as UC4 considering just how many assets it reuses from the main game and UC4's dev time was largely spent establishing new tech compared to here. How many full price games don't offer good value for it to be a problem with the industry? Remember we're in the era of open worlds and GaaS MP shooters.

Opa-Pa

I had Hellblade more or less on my radar, but I had no idea about any of its background. I was a bit on the fence about it due to the devs but what they aimed to accomplish (and seemingly succeeded at) is something I'd love to see happen often in the industry, not to mention the concept of the game sounds fascinating and right around my alley.

And I understand what they sell it as "AAA indie" but I'll agree with Jim, when I read AAA, it translates in my head as microtransactions, slimy tactics and samey, genre saturating trash.

It'll certainly be weird to buy a game from the guys who made gay jokes at GDC but sure, I'll bite.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Excellent video and I agree. Shame that it's most likely not going to happen.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
If that's the case you should probably avoid talking about them too then if you don't have any interest in providing any insight besides misinformed preconceptions.
Uh... No. I imagine developers would like to know how the games are perceived. Especially by segments of the market that aren't active participants in their respective marketplaces.

Nothing starts bold social change like someone having no interest in playing a game with all these shocking and life changing developer risks simply due to the genre.

Shouting down people is the true waste of time here.

Crossing Eden

Uh... No. I imagine developers would like to know how the games are perceived. Especially by segments of the market that aren't active participants in their respective marketplaces.
Trust and believe me when I say that they don't because they like informed critique more so than the assumptions of cynics. Especially the type of cynic that makes outdated assumptions that they likely read somewhere else because of being too lazy to do simple google searches to see if maybe their cynicism has any merit.

Nothing starts bold social change like someone having no interest in playing a game with all these shocking and life changing developer risks simply due to the genre.

Shouting down people is the true waste of time here.
Read above.

Crossing Eden

You've given me no reason to do either.
All i've done in this thread is provide basic facts because i'm actually informed about the things being discussed, hell I even made sure to provide receipts. You've shown that not only that you aren't informed considering you took two Ls, but that you also have no interest in being informed, and even worse, consider that a good thing and think devs wanna hear about that. Like.....what are you doing?

Icarus

Sooo... 100K units on steam and "best PS4 launch digitally in Europe. That's what, maybe $4-$5M in revenue best case at a net of $20 a unit? Not a bad start (quite good in fact) but I'd bet you it cost NT a lot more than that to make it.

Might earn out over time though. I wish em luck.

RooMHM

It is conveyed in an original manner, there's a documentary they created showing the process, when you're tackling this type of subject material, you have to do a good job to actually respect the people who go through it instead of glorifying it.
How could finding a new way yo convey these ideas be considered glorifying them ?
Game had to be boringly repetitive because the subject isn't fun?
Well that's not my game and I can't accept this as a real reason for a game not to try something new, sorry.

alt27

Sooo... 100K units on steam and "best PS4 launch digitally in Europe. That's what, maybe $4-$5M in revenue best case at a net of $20 a unit? Not a bad start (quite good in fact) but I'd bet you it cost NT a lot more than that to make it.

175 k on steam now, and probably alot more on playstation, given it was very high up the charts in EU and NA

Spectone

It is almost as if games need two scores these days. One for how good they are and the other for the number of micro transactions, DLC, season pass etc they have.

Granjinha

It's actually 175k on Steam. And your bet is wrong. NT already said that they need about 300k copies sold to pay for Hellblade. If you put in the PS4 sales, they probably already are beyond that.

Crossing Eden

How could finding a new way yo convey these ideas be considered glorifying them ?
Game had to be boringly repetitive because the subject isn't fun?
Well that's not my game and I can't accept this as a real reason for a game not to try something new, sorry.
Because the point is that going through that experience isn't fun. A lot of what Senua does in the game is incredibly mundane and touches upon how even something as mundane as opening a door can be an ordeal for someone suffering from psychosis.
The runes literally don't exist...

Top Bottom