• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Been checking Gene Hoglan's latest drum videos and he lost a lot of weight in last two years

Dude is looking good. I don't care much for Testament but I would like to see them live just for the amazing rhythm section that is Hoglan and Di Giorgio. And now I've just realized that I could go listen to Individual Thought Patterns for that same line-up.

The new Benighted record is OUT! Crazy french death metal grinding madness!

And to celebrate I made this totally crazy photoshop meme of the album artwork with a little bit of draugr Bill Clinton!
uwrJ5Ax.jpg

Man I'm awesome.

I think I'm coming around to admitting that Straight out of Hell is a lot better than My God Given Right.

Was there ever any doubt?

Also the new IMMOLATION is amazing. Those guys somehow nail the 90's Northeast Death Metal sound despite the modern production.

Ixion

Damn the new Power Trip is pure thrash goodness. Thanks to who ever posted this earlier. Never heard them before.

I actually slightly prefer their first album, since it seems to bring the catchy riffs more consistently, but both albums are great. They're a perfect band to jam when you're craving some "pure thrash goodness" for sure.

zedge

I actually slightly prefer their first album, since it seems to bring the catchy riffs more consistently, but both albums are great. They're a perfect band to jam when you're craving some "pure thrash goodness" for sure.
Yea been listening to the older album too.

e_i

My impressions of the new Power Trip album:

baKGmrO.jpg

It's been released on Bandcamp, but it's up on Spotify (which I've been listening to).

Went to the Cavalera's Return To Roots tour and boy that was terrible

Seeing Full Of Hell and Immolation in a big movie theater venue was kind of funny. Not an Immolation fan but they were decent. Sound was pretty bad for Full Of Hell but whatever. They've apparently started doing weird spoken word samples before a few songs that I don't think work at all but whatever. More blasts, less noise/art boys. Please.

Saw the first two songs of Roots, Max just sounds like garbage and doesn't even try (on top of that album being trash). Nice of them to sell Morbid Visions-era inspired Cavalera merch when they apparently think people would rather hear Roots and covers of other bands.

Had a better time seeing Soulfly like 5 years ago, at least they played Troops Of Doom

Seeing Full Of Hell and Immolation in a big movie theater venue was kind of funny. Not an Immolation fan but they were decent. Sound was pretty bad for Full Of Hell but whatever. They've apparently started doing weird spoken word samples before a few songs that I don't think work at all but whatever. More blasts, less noise/art boys. Please.

Saw the first two songs of Roots, Max just sounds like garbage and doesn't even try (on top of that album being trash). Nice of them to sell Morbid Visions-era inspired Cavalera merch when they apparently think people would rather hear Roots and covers of other bands.

Had a better time seeing Soulfly like 5 years ago, at least they played Troops Of Doom

It's amazing how bad Max's rapping was on Roots. Once you really start getting into Hip-Hop, the more you realize how insanely basic most of these rock artists attempts at rapping is. Mike Patton's Epic was not immune to this, either.

Did he bother to play his guitar at all, I've heard he doesn't do that properly anymore either, Sepultura are supporting Kreator next week and I don't know if I can be bothered watching them, that whole thing with the cavaleras and Seps is a mess.

Did he bother to play his guitar at all, I've heard he doesn't do that properly anymore either, Sepultura are supporting Kreator next week and I don't know if I can be bothered watching them, that whole thing with the cavaleras and Seps is a mess.
No, he's done that shit for years. It's plugged in but majority of the time he doesn't bother. It's possible he plays more on this tour because Roots is literally open note jugga jugga riffs but whatever

He had his guitar for the title track and switched over to tribal excitement for song two

Igor sounded great and I'd like to see them play classic Sepultura.......dumb that they do it as Cavalera Conspiracy with a bunch of new songs, but when they're explicitly touring as "Cavaleras playing Sep" they're just going to play Roots............hope they change it up for next time but I have a feeling they won't

His voice is just completely shot and it sounded like he was mumbling in his sleep

As far as current "Sepultura" goes......pass. It's funny how they seemed to have no respect from the general metal populace for the longest time, then they started touring here with bands like Havok and playing all old stuff and people got on board (but they still release trash....so who cares)

It's a shame that none of the Cavalera Conspiracy stuff was as good as it should have been. "Sanctuary" is still a fantastic song but you go back and listen to the rest of that album and it sucks. I like Soulfly's Omen album for what it is, seems like it's the closest they've come to anything resembling the old days (closer to Chaos AD though). Most everything else that band has done.....no thanks

I remember when Soulfly released World Scum and I thought for a brief second "maybe Soulfly is actually good now" but of course I was quickly proven wrong. That song still rocks though.

Man I'd pay a lot of money to see Igor join a Sepultura cover band and play a setlist composed entirely of songs from the first four Sepultura albums.

"Sanctuary" is still a fantastic song but you go back and listen to the rest of that album and it sucks.

Featuring Gojira's Joe Duplantier on bass guitar! Why? Nobody knows.

I've never particularly liked Soulfly and I wasn't a big fan of Roots either, as above anything up to Arise and I'm there, anything else then forget it, I'll pass on Seps when they support Kreator just spend some more time in the pub!

Seeing Animals As Leaders tomorrow night. Pumped!

I believe I still have the review I wrote from when I saw them in December.

Ah! Here it is:

A “Third Eye” opening experience.

As the main part of a triple-bill with Plini and Intervals, the instrumental progressive metal band Animals As Leaders took over Webster Hall’s grand ballroom on December 1st. I’ve been an a fan of Animals As Leaders since right after they released their debut in 2009, and considering their new album, The Madness Of Many, is not only one of their best records but also their most complex and technical; I was curious as to how such tight performances would translate live on stage.

Now unfortunately (thanks to underestimating traffic and overestimating the I.Q. of people crossing NYC streets during rush hour) I missed most of Plini’s set. Plini is a relatively new guitarist from Australia whose sound is unique from other “Djent” musicians due to his custom fretless guitar and extra jazzy technique. I was already impressed. After a short break complete with 40’s Christmas tunes playing on the PA, Intervals (who were already acting as Plini’s back-up band) took over and chugged and arpeggiated through their set with Plini taking on duel guitar duties. The crowd was already reciprocating the music with maximum energy with the front left corner of the room turning into a black hole of bodies being thrown around at all directions (an energy that was enough for Intervals’ band leader Aaron Marshall to be taken aback and comment on how much he loves playing in New York). It was then Animals As Leaders’ turn.

I’ve tried to describe Animals As Leaders’ music to friends who’ve never heard a single note of them before. The best description I could come up with is Optimus Prime vomiting a calculus equation while Neil Degrasse Tyson trips on DMT and plays jazz guitar…and I mean that with the highest praise possible. It would seem that the band would also agree with this description as they jumped right into their set with the tongue-and-cheekily titled “Arithmophobia” (the opener from their new album) to begin their down-tuned assault through every polyrhythm possible: 4/4, 5/4, 7/8, 16/9, 256/320², π/tan + 3.67^-23.

I have to comment that whoever was in charge of the sound engineering was ON. POINT. All the instruments came through the speakers with a super clean, open sound with plenty of separation and zero audible clipping. The lighting design too was a perfect balance of flashy strobe bars against a sporadically glow-lit in white ‘Lateralus’-like head used as backdrop art. The trio continued with one of my personal favorites “Tempting Time” from their self-titled debut (Fun Fact: This song was my ringtone when I still had a RAZR knockoff). Track after track the syncopation between drummer Matt Garstka and bassist Javier Reyes was incredibly tight. During “The Brain Dance,” guitarist Tosin Abasi swapped his signature 8-string for an acoustic guitar which climaxed in technical interplay between Tosin’s temporarily calming arpeggios and Javier’s use of pedals to turn his bass into a low-growling riff machine. Though there were small moments of pre-programmed electronics; such a full-bodied, enveloping sound coming from only three people is nothing less than astonishing.

Are Animals As Leaders actually cyborgs? No…at least I don’t think so. However, upon leaving the venue at show’s end I overheard an audience member say “Tosin doesn’t just play an instrument, he makes music come alive.” That was one of the cheesiest, most cringeworthy sentences I’ve ever heard; but I can’t say that guy was entirely wrong.

Unfortunately, it never got published.

RDreamer

I saw Animals As Leaders a while back on a Summer Slaughter tour and even though I loved the music, they were one of the most horribly boring live bands I've ever seen. Tosin barely looked up at the crowd. There was no interaction or movement from any of them at all.

Spwn

I saw Animals As Leaders a while back on a Summer Slaughter tour and even though I loved the music, they were one of the most horribly boring live bands I've ever seen. Tosin barely looked up at the crowd. There was no interaction or movement from any of them at all.

They're pretty hard songs to play. Hard to engage with anything else.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Wintersun's Indiegogo campaign is going live tonight at 6 EDT.

3PM PST then...looking forward to it...I've been a huge fan since the debut album came out almost 13 years ago...I remember it was Oct. or Nov 2004...when I bought the album ever since I heard it on Amazon's shitty windows media player (so glad streaming has stepped it up since) and it totally killed anything released then and possibly now. Spinned the album non stop cuz it was that goddamn good. Wintersun was a gateway for me to listen to Scandinavian metal of every sort since Amazon had that, "Customers also bought..." section which added more music for my collection. Kinda pissed that people got wind of wintersun nearly a decade later and now they obnoxiously claim as their fave band lol. Hopefully the 3rd album is as good as the debut.

lol...hopefully they cover hammer smashed face
They started doing that and Stripped, Raped, and Strangled ever since their "comeback" album where they changed styles to be closer to CC

Jack Owen being back could be cool but it probably won't. Not like he's written anything as good as early CC since

Top Bottom