• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus |OT| You don't need a Switch to play this outside!

Venuspower

Secret mission? Looks like I missed something.
I collected all death cards in the past. But I think I never saw a new mission.

StewboaT_

hmm, I'm really failing to see why this game is getting so much praise. I'm a few hours in and might just leave it at that. Something about the gunplay is just boring me to death.

ffvorax

hmm, I'm really failing to see why this game is getting so much praise. I'm a few hours in and might just leave it at that. Something about the gunplay is just boring me to death.

I didn't liked the first hours too actually... then I believe it starts to get better.

That said to me is a HUGE step back from the previous game in level design.
Levels are much worse.
Story & Blaz are still great though.

00lsen

Neo Member
Secret mission? Looks like I missed something.
I collected all death cards in the past. But I think I never saw a new mission.

A new location named Riverside should appear either in or next to Manhattan (not sure).

By all do you mean 15 or 16 :)? If 16, then you should have done it already. It's the guy with "?" on his photo.

The voice actor for bj is actually a veteran actor his earliest role is once upon a time in america, he brings this charactwr to life in the only way a character like this would work. Glad they didn't go with other well known names in the VO game this performance hits the sweet spot for me.

Absolutely, he's a terrific actor. I really liked his performance in Starcraft 2 as well. He's got such a great voice. I need to check out his other work. They really got a gem of actors in this series.

Venuspower

A new location named Riverside should appear either in or next to Manhattan (not sure).

By all do you mean 15 or 16 :)? If 16, then you should have done it already. It's the guy with "?" on his photo.

Thank you for clarifying. I already got that mission.
Good to know that I did not miss that.

In my opinion, its style to a vast degree. I really dislike commenting on reviews, especially claiming they're "wrong" as its the reviewers' opinions, but the two or three from major outlets I read through barely even touched on the gameplay which to me is absurd. It's a damn video game, not a film.

Getting swept up in the pure spectacle without addressing the glaring faults of the core gameplay is what happened at least in the reviews I did read. It feels inferior to TNO to me purely as a game, which received much lower scores, so that's a pretty clear indicator.

[Fugo]

The Vault countdown reached 0 but nothing got unlocked (steam version, Italy), with the menu item remaining gray. Is that issue on my end or is it supppsed to be happening?
(I have the Season Pass also)

[Fugo];252988667 said:
The Vault countdown reached 0 but nothing got unlocked (steam version, Italy), with the menu item remaining gray. Is that issue on my end or is it supppsed to be happening?
(I have the Season Pass also)

There is a 1.5GB update, quit the game, get the update, the vault should be open.

Anyone know what the Vault is all about? I finished early last weekend and if it's nothing much I'll pass on the 1.5GB update.

I though it would just be episode 0 of the DLC. Is that not the case?

All DLC content start from there, also the combat arena mode from TOB returns, so if you like the combat this is for you.

despire

Downloading the update just "broke" my save as it forces you to start the level from beginning. And I was just at the end of one of the later levels too. Now I got to play the entire thing again? What in the fuck..?

Maxxan

Downloading the update just "broke" my save as it forces you to start the level from beginning. And I was just at the end of one of the later levels too. Now I got to play the entire thing again? What in the fuck..?
Happened to me too. I’m just gonna stop playing, that level near the end was really boring and I’m not replaying it.

Ive gone back to play TNO for a bit after completing this and yea....TNO is a better overall game. They have toned down the dismemberment in TNC over TNO and overall TNO just feels like a more cohesive package.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Have there been any impressions of this game running on the xbox x? would love to hear about it

Posted in the Xbox enhanced forum but I'll hive a quick shot out here.

Big difference in clarity. I played the first level last night so I have a frame of reference and the lack of blur on the X is amazing.

The vault adding in replayable combat scenarios is basically the only thing I felt the game was missing at release. Great update.

Posted in the Xbox enhanced forum but I'll hive a quick shot out here.

Big difference in clarity. I played the first level last night so I have a frame of reference and the lack of blur on the X is amazing.

I appreciate it, man. I skimmed through that thread and must have missed it. Thanks, though. Get my X tomorrow!! :D

Wait, I thought that was the countdown to the unlockable "war stories" DLC. How do you play those?

It's both. We knew about the Freedom Chronicles, but I'm pretty sure the combat challenges are a surprise. They were to me, at least!

Right now we only have Episode 0 of Freedom Chronicles, I'm not sure when the three episodes proper are releasing.

You can access the Vault from the main menu or the hub in-game.

watchdog

I didn't liked the first hours too actually... then I believe it starts to get better.

That said to me is a HUGE step back from the previous game in level design.
Levels are much worse.
Story & Blaz are still great though.

I agree I wasn't too thrilled about the first few hours either. The game does indeed feel like a step back in terms of level design. The gunfights didn't feel quite as good as TNO. Sometimes I didn't even know where the firing was coming from. But, overall, I had a good time with it.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Great game so far. A question though about my progress — I just

SPOILER!

Killed my dad

How far am I in the game, percentage wise? I’m currently renting this but if there’s tons more to the game, I’ll just buy it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I loved the first game.

Idk what it is but I just can't get into this at all.

It almost feels like they have leaned too hard into the lore. Idk how to explain it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished the game tonight. I enjoyed the gunfights and a lot of the locations. The New Order's plot was pieced together much more smoothly than The New Colossus, but I wouldn't say it's a whole lot better. For the most part TNC has entertaining cutscenes.
theres some really crazy twists to the plot in TNC, so much so that I was even shaking my head wondering WTF is going on?

I really enjoy the level design in this game. Even if you're killing nazis. The aesthetics to everything are nice. I took more than a few days to finish the campaign. I feel like that may have been a wise choice.

The setups for shootouts were fun. Sure it all can become the same enemies, with the same weapons, in the same situation. But overall I was pleased with the combat. I was more pleased aesthetically and how some levels like
Manhattan felt. I felt like I did in NYC with Resistance 3. Dropping from ledge to ledge firing bullets into different rooms, staircases, etc.

Serious Sam has cool aesthetics and it's simple gameplay. Shoot the same crazy enemies hundreds and hundreds of times in these interesting environments. The New Colossus has a TV sitcom feel to it and some similar elements if you ask me. That's the best way I can put it.

I did replay TNO and I liked TNC, so I might do the extra stuff.

Are all saves broken after the update? It says I have to restart from the beginning of the level. The ausmerzer is so fucking boring and I have no wish to replay the entire level. Does anyone know if this has been adressed?

This happened to me as well, my save borked out and I have to play the entire
Roswell level over again after getting past the train part.
I ended up losing nearly two hours of progress, not counting time spent on deaths.

/sigh...

despire

Are all saves broken after the update? It says I have to restart from the beginning of the level. The ausmerzer is so fucking boring and I have no wish to replay the entire level. Does anyone know if this has been adressed?

Same problem here. Deleting the game didn't help because I can't download the 1.1 patch on PS4 (which is thr version my save file is on).

I'm guessing I'll just run the level through at the lowest difficulty setting to make it as quick as possible.

00lsen

Neo Member
The Episode Zero DLC is really fucking bad. And I say this as a dude who loves the game.

Don't know if spoilers or not but I'll tag them:
there is no plot, no cutscenes, the characters are mute, no collectibles, no perk progression, it is pure gameplay and a boring one because each hero has only 1/3 of BJ's skills

What the fuck were they thinking with releasing this? This will encourage nobody to buy the main DLCs.

Just finished the last Kill Commander at
Farmhouse Set
and I couldn't hear sound coming from Grace over our radio connection.

I then go back to Evas and go to continue the main game
Just give Grace info and just had those 2 having sex
and when in cutscene, all characters sounded really quiet but all other audio was ok. Then continue to level
New Orleans
and again, I can't hear anything from Grace or Fisher over the radio, just got the subtitles.

I restarted the game but still fooked! Wtf?

Anyone else? Is there a fix? How do I report bugs to Bethesda?

Thanks Guys/Gals.

So what's your favourite out of the two games y'all?

I kinda immediately restarted the original so I can get a sense of which I preferred. I'll need to replay all the way through to be able to make my final decision but I do quite love the story of the original, likely more than the second. It's so well done.

dcx4610

Finished the game.

I absolutely loved the first game and gave it a 9/10. I'm probably going to go 7/10 on this one. It's just too crazy and different but still very enjoyable.

Without spoiling, what I loved the most about Wolf1 was it seemed somewhat plausible. Yes, it was crazy and Sci-Fi but it felt like an alternative reality that could have happened albeit a bit over the top. It still felt grounded somehow.

W2 is just bat shit insane. I love that it's bat shit insane but it's not what I really wanted out of a sequel. The game's pacing is all over the place and even though the acting is really good, there was far too many cut scenes instead of letting the story play out through gameplay.

The first half of the game is pretty dry but it does ramp up halfway through and feels more like the original. I found myself shocked several times throughout the game but mostly because how insane it was.

If you liked Wolf1, I'd recommend it but I think it's more in tone with Old Blood than TNO.

Finished the game.

I absolutely loved the first game and gave it a 9/10. I'm probably going to go 7/10 on this one. It's just too crazy and different but still very enjoyable.

Without spoiling, what I loved the most about Wolf1 was it seemed somewhat plausible. Yes, it was crazy and Sci-Fi but it felt like an alternative reality that could have happened albeit a bit over the top. It still felt grounded somehow.

W2 is just bat shit insane. I love that it's bat shit insane but it's not what I really wanted out of a sequel. The game's pacing is all over the place and even though the acting is really good, there was far too many cut scenes instead of letting the story play out through gameplay.

The first half of the game is pretty dry but it does ramp up halfway through and feels more like the original. I found myself shocked several times throughout the game but mostly because how insane it was.

If you liked Wolf1, I'd recommend it but I think it's more in tone with Old Blood than TNO.

Just finished it too. I absolutely adored it, the game is just so smooth and the shooting just feels strong. The sound design is glorious, it really gives a vivid feeling of fucking shit up whenever your shots connect on fools. It feels better than New Order/Old Blood, but I liked the levels in those games more. I feel they went almost too vertical on this new one so I got lost somewhat frequently wondering if this was the tunnel I came from or if it was the one below me.

Maybe it's the engine or the incredible sound, but I really felt like rip and tearing through this whole motherfucker and to that end I found the design to be kind of a mixed bag. DOOM had those really large spaces you could move around freely and go nuts, while in Colossus I feel like I hit something every time I sidestepped.

Everything else is on point, the voice acting was superb, the story was fantastic, I love how insane it is, I love BJ so fucking much. I'd like bigger and more horizontal levels on the next one, but even that feels like nitpicking when the package as a whole is just so superb. It constantly gave me the same feeling that Yakuza 0 did in that I was pretty much all the time thinking holy shit this is just too awesome.

rpgb46

So it's the first chance i get to play this game in nearly two weeks and my last save won't load because it's incompatible with the latest patch. The game says I can start the level over but fuck that.

I delete the patch.

Now I can't load any save because they from a version of the game after the launch version. and I have to wait for 8gb to download. Assuming my saves will work when it's done.

What have I done to deserve this?

Just finished the last Kill Commander at
Farmhouse Set
and I couldn't hear sound coming from Grace over our radio connection.

I then go back to Evas and go to continue the main game
Just give Grace info and just had those 2 having sex
and when in cutscene, all characters sounded really quiet but all other audio was ok. Then continue to level
New Orleans
and again, I can't hear anything from Grace or Fisher over the radio, just got the subtitles.

I restarted the game but still fooked! Wtf?

Anyone else? Is there a fix? How do I report bugs to Bethesda?

Thanks Guys/Gals.

Played a bit last night and the audio bug had gone - so it looks like a fix to this if anyone else has it, is to turn your ps4 off totally, rather than restart.

Wolf2_Roadmap.png

Stormus

Finished it in about 10 hours. I could probably eek out another 2 or 3 hours if I did the remaining Commander missions left on my map. Overall 8/10. Awesome combat, decent story, but some parts were cringe-worthy corny. I think the game is also a little TOO over the top. I enjoyed it overall though!

Finished it in about 10 hours. I could probably eek out another 2 or 3 hours if I did the remaining Commander missions left on my map. Overall 8/10. Awesome combat, decent story, but some parts were cringe-worthy corny. I think the game is also a little TOO over the top. I enjoyed it overall though!

It's good to hear your thoughts on the game. I'm planning on picking it up when I get my X, so I'll set my expectations accordingly. How would you rate the combat compared to the first game?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Finished yesterday and I have to say, it's an very ok game.

The character feels weak in comparison with the first game, or even Doom for that matters.
The upgrade system doesn't feel, well, that you upgrade.
The stealth is boring.
Some parts there are too many enemies, but unlike Doom, you need more luck than skills.

Thr story is really nice, thou.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Mein Leben difficulty is going to be the bane of achievement and trophy hunters.

If getting a platinum trophy is your number one priority of playing a game then steer far away. Almost nobody will be getting the mein leben trophy/achievement.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Does anyone know how to fill the Dieselkraftwerk past 10 with the extended tank? I've tried everything I can think of but the extended tank doesn't work.

Is there a completion percentage? I'm still playing through the main campaign on PS4, but don't seem to be able to see it in any of the menus..

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I do agree that this game was a step back from the previous game. One thing I liked about TNO, was the ability to replay any previous level and keep your earned perks. TNC took that away.

I know people will disagree strongly with this, but I have a feeling that the inclusion of the terrible trophy/achievement Mein Leben in which you have to beat the game in one sitting without dying might have turned a lot of people off for the game.
I played TNO and Old Blood on both X1 and PS4. Got the platinum and 1000 gamerscore for both games. Because of the inclusion of that trophy/achievement I will never bother playing it on my PS4.

How many people felt that way? Probably not many, but that's my insignificant anecdotal observation.

TheWatcher

Banned
I do agree that this game was a step back from the previous game. One thing I liked about TNO, was the ability to replay any previous level and keep your earned perks. TNC took that away.

I know people will disagree strongly with this, but I have a feeling that the inclusion of the terrible trophy/achievement Mein Leben in which you have to beat the game in one sitting without dying might have turned a lot of people off for the game.
I played TNO and Old Blood on both X1 and PS4. Got the platinum and 1000 gamerscore for both games. Because of the inclusion of that trophy/achievement I will never bother playing it on my PS4.

How many people felt that way? Probably not many, but that's my insignificant anecdotal observation.

I felt the same. I really enjoyed the gun play in this game, but I felt the story and the mission variety left a lot to be desired. The New Order had more diverse level design and stuck to its narrative. The New Colossus feels disjointed. The DLC has been a huge disappointment for me, it is basically a collection of single player maps rehashed.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
You mean the “refill stations” dont work?

None of them would fill past 10. I tried refilling from full, from 9,8...empty, nothing worked.

I finally got it to work late in the game when I refilled at the diesel pump out side of the steel vent door to the Wyatt section. A bit late but it came in handy for the finale.

Top Bottom