• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zutroy

Here are the Kweens of the UK The Saturdays, everyone loves to hate on them mostly because they are the Kmart version of Girls Aloud(or the human B-Side of Girls Aloud more like it) but idc idc (plus they cant dance much, but they do sing great live except Frankie who should just not open her mouth and look pretty)
Apart from that song with Travie someone, On Your Radar was perfect. PERFECT. I was disappointed they didn't release more singles from it, but I suppose it was probably because one of them was pushing out a baby.

Kyon

Banned
Apart from that song with Travie someone, On Your Radar was perfect. PERFECT. I was disappointed they didn't release more singles from it, but I suppose it was probably because one of them was pushing out a baby.

Una :) diva divine. I so agree!

Kyon

Banned
Should've just gotten a surrogate like Beyonce

She got preggerz by accident with her bf. She admitted it in an interview lol she still went on tour with tue girls and did other live events with them lmfao

EDIT: Should have been a single instead of 30 Days but both are flaw free so who am I to complain lmfao

Oh, I know. Saw and (slightly) shaded already. ;)

Some were bad but some were wow. All in all fun considering the lack of practice for them.

I love the idea of celebrating 10 years since Idol with more audience participation. I also love that Kelly doesn't give a shit.

Mumei

Some were bad but some were wow. All in all fun considering the lack of practice for them.

I love the idea of celebrating 10 years since Idol with more audience participation. I also love that Kelly doesn't give a shit.

Which ones were bad? I've only seen a couple and I liked everything I saw.

I feel like most of pop-GAF could get something out of this NY Times article about Judy Garland, her gays, and the shifting concepts of singer-as-celebrity.

I really didn't like the article, for several reasons. He turns "Brodie" into an ignorant patsy, berating and mocking him for not understanding Garland's connection with gay culture in the 1940s. I mean, what is this?
I asked, “Did your mother ever listen to Judy albums around the house?”

“She liked ’80s hair bands. Poison, Aerosmith, Journey. But I bet my great-grandmother listened to her.”

I asked, “Is this a dagger I see before me?”

“What?”

“Nothing.”
That kind of asinine cattiness is something that belongs in discussions about pop music on a video game message board, not the New York Times. He continues to publicly browbeat him for listening to Joni Mitchell (?) and for confidently asserting that "gay can be anything". He also brings up the frustrating, belittling garbage about Garland's funeral somehow inspiring the Stonewall Riots.

I think the "Friend of Dorothy' phenomenon is an interesting one - and one with an obvious modern nexus - but the article came off as glib. Still want to see the musical, though.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
From the Sony losses thread

A key concept in Hirai's strategy hinges on merging Sony's robust roster of entertainment properties - including singers Kelly Clarkson and Michael Jackson, and the "Spider-Man" and "Men in Black" film franchises - with its Vaio, Bravia and other electronics brands, in an effort to boost sale

Crumpet going Sony exclusive confirmed

From the Sony losses thread

Crumpet going Sony exclusive confirmed
Not to shade my own fave or anything but Sony must be in dire straits if they mention Kelly Clarkson as part of one of their company saving initiatives
vG0Gi.gif

Mumei

I feel like most of pop-GAF could get something out of this NY Times article about Judy Garland, her gays, and the shifting concepts of singer-as-celebrity.

My favorite "Friend of Dorothy" anecdote comes from Randy Shilts' Conduct Unbecoming, a book about gays in the U.S. military:

"In the early 1980s, the Naval Investigative Service was investigating homosexuality in the Chicago area. Agents discovered that gay men sometimes referred to themselves as "friends of Dorothy." Unaware of the historical meaning of the term, the NIS believed that a woman named Dorothy was at the center of a massive ring of homosexual military personnel. The NIS launched an enormous hunt for Dorothy, hoping to find her and convince her to reveal the names of gay servicemembers."

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Not to shade my own fave or anything but Sony must be in dire straits if they mention Kelly Clarkson as part of one of their company saving initiatives
vG0Gi.gif

Well who else can they use, Botney will be seen as another tech gadget, they lost Shakira to the chiva's label

and BeYAWNce will put everyone to sleep

Kyon

Banned
Well who else can they use, Botney will be seen as another tech gadget, they lost Shakira to the chiva's label

and BeYAWNce will put everyone to sleep

And if Gagita were signed to Sony she would be seen as another gimmick ;)

RCA is a standalone label now so P!nk and Brit aren't Sony. I think its under Sony but not a direct label anymore

Mumei

I really didn't like the article, for several reasons. He turns "Brodie" into an ignorant patsy, berating and mocking him for not understanding Garland's connection with gay culture in the 1940s. I mean, what is this?

I was sort of amused by the accidental shade: "Yeah, I think OLD PEOPLE like Judy Garland."

royalan

Ok, you guys are threatening to activate my Stan-o-meter with all this talk of Judy "HBIC" Garland.

Judy at Carnegie Hall? Done...

Mumei

what's that supposed to mean? :<

&#9829; (thanks Crumpet!)

It means I'm not surprised that someone on Pop-GAF prefers the singers that cannot sing / rely heavily on auto-tune over the singers who can actually hit the notes.

And that amuses me.

Kyon

Banned
&#9829; (thanks Crumpet!)

It means I'm not surprised that someone on Pop-GAF prefers the singers that cannot sing / rely heavily on auto-tune over the singers who can actually hit the notes.

And that amuses me.

I like Glambert :) he won the video for me no doubt. Ive been a Chris Brown stan since forever and i never really came to him because i thought he could sang its because he is an excellent entertainer and can out dance anyone in the game rn and Ciara comes close too. Same with Britney. If you wanna be a fan of the best singers thats cool tho :) The only people that i like for their singing is Brandy, Mariah and Leona. Those 3 dont dance or are entertainers they are just singers and that fine by me. I like a little of every pop tart flavor :D

EDIT: Plus sis you shouldnt expect much in the singing department its Pop music lol we have the few who can sing flawlessly and are relevant

Um no.

EDIT: JB AND CB<333333333333333333333

I like Glambert :) he won the video for me no doubt. Ive been a Chris Brown stan since forever and i never really came to him because i thought he could sang its because he is an excellent entertainer and can out dance anyone in the game rn and Ciara comes close too. Same with Britney. If you wanna be a fan of the best singers thats cool tho :) The only people that i like for their singing is Brandy, Mariah and Leona. Those 3 dont dance or are entertainers they are just singers and that fine by me. I like a little of every pop tart flavor :D

EDIT: Plus sis you shouldnt expect much in the singing department its Pop music lol we have the few who can sing flawlessly and are relevant

But we were speaking only of singing ability, and my comment stands. I totally agree with loving entertainer (I worship Brit), but Brown is barely a singer when you're talking sheer ability.

In other words, stan who you like, but never pretend they can sing. :)

Kyon

Banned
But we were speaking only of singing ability, and my comment stands. I totally agree with loving entertainer (I worship Brit), but Brown is barely a singer when you're talking sheer ability.

In other words, stan who you like, but never pretend they can sing. :)

He CAN sing. Just because he isn't Mariah don't mean much. He is a good singer.

He CAN sing. Just because he isn't Mariah don't mean much. He is a good singer.

In the case of the video, he was not hitting the last 4 or so notes, which was my point.

To which you said um no, which just isn't true. I won't even go after Biebs as its like hitting a dead horse. ;)

Kyon

Banned
In the case of the video, he was not hitting the last 4 or so notes, which was my point.

To which you said um no, which just isn't true. I won't even go after Biebs as its like hitting a dead horse. ;)

I was talking about you saying he can't hit high notes without auto tune which isn't true

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Does that make Akon Steve Jobs

So both are two of the most successful electronic products of all time?
brit12.gif

sure
brit12.gif

but to move on to more important matters

ANIMALS!!! Miss you guys so much!!
I know you're getting anxious for new music. But don't fret cuz its on its way. I'm in the studio all day and all night...24/7 literally. Just to make sure you guys get the most badass album ever. I PROMISE this shit will be worth the wait. We are making some sick, dirty, sexy, sweaty, four on the floor COCK POP just for you. You WILL NOT be disappointed. It's. Gonna. Be. Epic.
And yes I will have some hot 2012 summer jams for you...
Has your Dance Commander ever lied to you?
I LOVE YOU ALL and can't wait for you to hear the new stuff – you're gonna shit your pants...in the sexiest way...

she is coming, your faves better keep it cute this summer because they will be getting cockpopblocked

iY02jHhde5GAg.gif

Mumei

This is why I stan for those who are dead or irrelevant*!

Mariah could have another good album, but she hasn't had a *big one* since 2005, so I am not looking for it.

And anyway, I was understanding your comment the same way that krypt took it; that you disagreed about the autotune thing and that you were saying that he was the best in that video.

Which is obviously silly talk. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom