• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Astral Dog

A question, how much does the Kingdom Hearts 1 remaster 'hold up'? Its true the first 5 to 10 hours are as bad as the opening of KH2? How does the remaster compare to the original gameplay wuse?

A question, how much does the Kingdom Hearts 1 remaster 'hold up'? Its true the first 5 to 10 hours are as bad as the opening of KH2? How does the remaster compare to the original gameplay wuse?

No joke, the whole game has aged poorly. The gameplay does improve in the end game, and with some postgame content, but the main Disney worlds are not great.

Once you play KH2, it's like a whole different series from 1

aravuus

Yeah, going back to KH1 is pretty hard after you've played 2.

Also, the very first stage's boss is fucking kicking my ass in the mirage arena in BBS. I think I'll come back to it when I've gained like 59 levels lol.

Yeah, going back to KH1 is pretty hard after you've played 2.

Also, the very first stage's boss is fucking kicking my ass in the mirage arena in BBS. I think I'll come back to it when I've gained like 59 levels lol.

Levels in Kingdom Hearts are deceptive because of the way the games calculate damage (KH2 is best about this by setting minimum damage amounts in addition to maximum damage amounts, IIRC). Basically a couple of levels will generally make an ENORMOUS difference in most of the games when it comes to content that you're supposed to be tackling at that point. A level 99 BBSFM character can basically trounce everything in the Mirage Arena without too much thought, even No Heart.

aravuus

Levels in Kingdom Hearts are deceptive because of the way the games calculate damage (KH2 is best about this by setting minimum damage amounts in addition to maximum damage amounts, IIRC). Basically a couple of levels will generally make an ENORMOUS difference in most of the games when it comes to content that you're supposed to be tackling at that point. A level 99 BBSFM character can basically trounce everything in the Mirage Arena without too much thought, even No Heart.

Oh, really? It's funny how much I've played these games yet I know practically nothing about the underlying mechanics.

Gotta take care I don't overlevel myself, then. The mirage arena has had the most interesting content of the game so far, I don't want to just blaze through the stages, at least not at first.

Oh, really? It's funny how much I've played these games yet I know practically nothing about the underlying mechanics.

Gotta take care I don't overlevel myself, then. The mirage arena has had the most interesting content of the game so far, I don't want to just blaze through the stages, at least not at first.

honestly, the Iron Imprisoner bosses are truly awful and there's nothing wrong with cheesing your way past them.

the Mirage Arena and the DDD secret/special portal stuff *does* make me wish that KH1/2 had more ways to re-fight tougher versions of old story bosses as many times as you'd like to, though.

Tweaked a bit.

I dig it

So when the game is stated to be 2018, what's everyone's guesses for the part of 2018?

Traditionally, KH games have never stuck to just one season for releases. Could we be looking at a Q1? :O

The fact that they're still planning some stuff, like if Sephi returns or not does make it sound like a release date later in the year

Malyse

I dig it

So when the game is stated to be 2018, what's everyone's guesses for the part of 2018?

Traditionally, KH games have never stuck to just one season for releases. Could we be looking at a Q1? :O

The fact that they're still planning some stuff, like if Sephi returns or not does make it sound like a release date later in the year

Nah. I expect Spring announced at TGS and an actual fall release.

-----

There are still people who think 3D and BBS aren't main games.

Famassu

I see, sad to hear.that makes the remaster less appealing if im just playing BBS :(
I personally don't think KH1 has aged all THAT badly. Its sequels do a lot of things better (especially combat/movement) but all in all the first one can still be a very enjoyable romp. Just depends on how well you can handle/get accustomed to the slightly clunky controls (jumping in particular, the other stuff isn't too bad).

I dig it

It's hard to say. The game already looks super polished and like... this could be from a near finished build of the game already. Unlike something like FFXV that was in a whole other state when they announced 2016 for its release window. But it could be that they've got the gameplay nailed down but still have to create, like, the last third of the worlds/content of the game or something, in which case early 2018 is shut out as an option. I'd say (late) Spring 2018 isn't impossible but I'd lean on something like September 2018 myself.

And I dunno about the Sephiroth comment. It could all just be lipservice and they've already decided to put him into the game. Remember that they wouldn't just reveal stuff like that out of the blue in some interview. I just don't think they'd create the KHII stuff and not already have the intention of following through with that in the sequel.

I'm thinking August/September 2018 if it's isn't delayed. November/December 2018 if it is delayed.

Since they gave us a 2018 release window nearly 6 months before 2018 even starts tells me they're pretty confident. I don't think they would have given a 2018 release window unless they projected it to be done well before the end of the year. If they projected it to be done in October or beyond in 2018 I doubt we would have gotten this 2018 announcement.

Gradon

July-August is my guess. I wonder what they'll do for the Limited Edition this time? I bet they won't settle on a pin.

Also I hope that Kingdom Hearts III's worlds don't feel as empty and wastelandy as BBS and DDD. The footage isn't giving me that feel but that's my only issue with the worlds as of recently.

aravuus

Also I hope that Kingdom Hearts III's worlds don't feel as empty and wastelandy as BBS and DDD. The footage isn't giving me that feel but that's my only issue with the worlds as of recently.

Yeah. DDD and BBS have awfully boring worlds. I heavily disliked DDD's in particular. I don't think there's any cause for concern, but.. I guess I'm still a bit concerned lol.

I think FFXV good performance might make SE more confident in going head to head with other big releases around November.

I can see it working out for them. Kingdom Hearts 3 is something a lot of people want and if it's backed by Disney's marketing machine then I can see it doing well at any time.

I don't remember who came up with it but I always loved:

Kingdom Hearts III |OT| Kept you waiting, hyuck?

I love this.

Malyse

Fun fact: at the end of the final Xemnas fight in KH2 in the Sora dual wielding scene, it takes 13 hits to finish Xemnas off. The first attack is a double hit with both blades followed by 7 individual hits and another double hit to toss Xemnas in the air. Hit 12 is the keyblade unlock attack and the 13th hit is the finished you use on stunned!Xemnas when the cutscene ends.

Fun fact: at the end of the final Xemnas fight in KH2 in the Sora dual wielding scene, it takes 13 hits to finish Xemnas off. The first attack is a double hit with both blades followed by 7 individual hits and another double hit to toss Xemnas in the air. Hit 12 is the keyblade unlock attack and the 13th hit is the finished you use on stunned!Xemnas when the cutscene ends.

I didn't need this.

Especially after people pointed out that 2018 will mark 13 years since KH2's release. I don't need all of this to match up like that.

Just watched this great episode of the KF Gamescast on KH. With Alexa Ray Corriea as a guest, easily the biggest and most well versed KH fanatic I've ever seen. (She wrote a KH book for god's sake!)

Now one thing I've been a bit disappointed about recently were the implied number of worlds that would be in KH3. Seems like Nomura has lately been hinting that there will be less than we might expect. At one point in the podcast they discussed the worlds of KH3 and how they would be handled. Alexa brought up how the Olympus areas were totally new and not seen before in the movies or anything. Then they talked about the possibility of making new little Disney involved storylines for each Disney planet that actually expand on the Disney universes to some extent instead of how they handled it in previous games. If they go that route, that would be awesome and I'd be fine with not as many planets. Nomura also recently said that the planets will have a "different flow" when asked about if we would have to return to the planets twice like you do in 1&2.

Malyse

Release date update! Amazon confirms that my copy should be here by December 31, 2018. Also I ordered my copy on January 25th, 2015.

Malyse

As I'm sure many of you are aware, Yen Press has been licensing and releasing the Kingdom Hearts books and manga in English over the past few years. Amazon has a program where you can request a novel not available on Kindle to get a Kindle release. So, let's get the KH series on there.

Best part? I'll do all the hard work for you. All you have to do is click these links.

Kingdom Hearts: The Novel by Tomoco Kanemaki

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fi...ref=dtp_dp_su_0316260193?ie=UTF8&a=0316260193

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories The Novel by Tomoco Kanemaki

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fi...ref=dtp_dp_su_0316261734?ie=UTF8&a=0316261734

Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix by Shiro Amano

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fi...ref=dtp_dp_su_0316254207?ie=UTF8&a=0316254207

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fi...ref=dtp_dp_su_0316254215?ie=UTF8&a=0316254215

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories by Shiro Amano

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fi...ref=dtp_dp_su_0316255629?ie=UTF8&a=0316255629

Kingdom Hearts II by Shiro Amano

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fi...ref=dtp_dp_su_0316401145?ie=UTF8&a=0316401145

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fi...ref=dtp_dp_su_0316401153?ie=UTF8&a=0316401153

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fi...ref=dtp_dp_su_0316288799?ie=UTF8&a=0316288799

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days by Shiro Amano

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fi...ref=dtp_dp_su_0316401188?ie=UTF8&a=0316401188

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fi...ref=dtp_dp_su_0316401196?ie=UTF8&a=0316401196

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fi...ref=dtp_dp_su_031640120X?ie=UTF8&a=031640120X

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fi...ref=dtp_dp_su_0316286761?ie=UTF8&a=0316286761

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fi...ref=dtp_dp_su_0316336262?ie=UTF8&a=0316336262

Plus it should help get the other novels in English.

TWO YEARS LATER

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW2W6TN/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW6P1BR/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW79CJ6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Kingdom Hearts II: The Novel, Vol. 2 On Sale Date: 12/12/2017

also

Banned
Xehanort forced Ventus to fight Neoshadows, hoping to create the X-Blade, before separating Venitus from him and creating the Unversed.
I think you are misremembering things.
Xehanort initially took Ventus as an apprentice because he was looking for a vessel and he sensed darkness within him. Through his training, which included fighting Neoshadows, he tried to grow Ventus's darkness, probably to make him compatible for the heart transfer or something. Unfortunately for him, Ventus refused to embrace his dark side so he ended up scraping that idea. Instead, he extracted Ventus's darkness (thus creating Vanitas and consequently the unversed) in the hopes of forging the χ-Blade.
Terra then fulfilled Ventus's original role.

Finally beat 358/2 Days. Proud mode and it took me around 44 hours. Pretty fun game overall, I enjoyed the Panel system and I ended up liking a lot the remaining Org members.
The final battles when you can dual-wield and later fight Riku were pretty hype!
And I feel so bad for the trio during the story :(
They better be back by the end of KH3 to enjoy having sea salt ice cream together... And oh god the moment where Roxas runs in Twilight Town and says he only has 7 days left and the credits start running...
My memories of playing KH2 back then and wondering why I was playing as this random kid instead of fighting in Disney worlds... If only I knew ;_;

I know 2 would be the best continue with but since I already kinda beat it twice years ago, I want to play BbS since it's the biggest game from the series I'm missing. Excited to properly meet the new characters!

Malyse

Finally beat 358/2 Days. Proud mode and it took me around 44 hours. Pretty fun game overall, I enjoyed the Panel system and I ended up liking a lot the remaining Org members.
The final battles when you can dual-wield and later fight Riku were pretty hype!
And I feel so bad for the trio during the story :(
They better be back by the end of KH3 to enjoy having sea salt ice cream together... And oh god the moment where Roxas runs in Twilight Town and says he only has 7 days left and the credits start running...
My memories of playing KH2 back then and wondering why I was playing as this random kid instead of fighting in Disney worlds... If only I knew ;_;

I know 2 would be the best continue with but since I already kinda beat it twice years ago, I want to play BbS since it's the biggest game from the series I'm missing. Excited to properly meet the new characters!

only true if 3D is excluded

only true if 3D is excluded
Well... It seems like they'll be back in KH3, in some form, at the very least
Axel's full form, Lea, is now a keyblade wielder
, and there are hints that
Xion will affect the story in 3 somewhat
Yeah 3D was the second KH game I finished xd I was really surprised at the end with
almost everyone appearing to Sora in TWTNW
so it's cool to finally know these characters.
I was strange to the idea of Lea being a Keyblade Wielder but if it takes that for him to reach Roxas and Xion I'm up for it!

Question for BbS Final Mix: Proud or Critical? Or should I ask on the other thread?

Yeah 3D was the second KH game I finished xd I was really surprised at the end with
I was strange to the idea of Lea being a Keyblade Wielder but if it takes that for him to reach Roxas and Xion I'm up for it!

Question for BbS Final Mix: Proud or Critical? Or should I ask on the other thread?

Final Mix, just so you can get the trophies associated with it.

I'd say Critical, too, but with a caveat that you go and arm yourself with an ability melding guide, first. Melding is the only way to gain skills like Once More, Second Chance, and Leaf Bracer, which you'll badly need

Final Mix, just so you can get the trophies associated with it.
Yeah that's the version I'm playing (on PS3). I was actually thinking of doing Proud and then the others but unlike KH1 you only get a trophy for beating it in Critical this time
I'd say Critical, too, but with a caveat that you go and arm yourself with an ability melding guide, first. Melding is the only way to gain skills like Once More, Second Chance, and Leaf Bracer, which you'll badly need
Alright, thanks, I'll keep these in mind!

Gradon

So I'm playing Union X and it just upsets me how much I wanted this as an actual KH game with standard gameplay and not a mobile game. The story of the Foretellers is interesting and even though I know it would've delayed KH3 I still wanted this to be a full game.

I'm only on mission 85 and I feel like a console focused game design would've suited this very well. Can't wait to get into the story for it properly once I catch up to the latest mission haha.

Gulz1992

Proud. BBS Critical is garbage.

Top Bottom