• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Yes Boss!

This is why I keep this 12 y/o thread bookmarked to share with people. Some games can go up or down but it's nice to point to so people can see the best games by category.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37987

He also did Genesis and SNES threads.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56187
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40287

Thanks for that! Exactly what I wa looking for!

I'm still blown away by Astyanax. Super cool game. I have been playing that and Mighty Final Fight (which I have in GBA) but it is way cooler on the big screen.

FEBC1AF9-9330-4020-90D0-D50D27D47480.jpg

This is why I keep this 12 y/o thread bookmarked to share with people. Some games can go up or down but it's nice to point to so people can see the best games by category.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37987

He also did Genesis and SNES threads.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56187
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40287

Yeah, that is a great thread. Certainly don't mean to bag on anyone's opinions. We have had ENDLESS discussions here an in other threads about why people prefer one system's library over others or why they dig certain eras vs others. That's cool. But saying stuff like NES has a dozen good games or is only marginally better than what the 2600 has to offer is just plain odd and out of character for these threads.

Timu

IMHO the genesis library is far better than tye SNES one in the genres I enjoy the most (action games, arcade games, shmups, etc)
I have no issue with people preferring Genesis over SNES. It makes sense since Genesis is one of the best consoles out there. But the SNES library is insane as it has many good to amazing games on the system to be more than just ok.

Yes Boss!

Finally finished my retro setup. I've been in transit for the last three months with three different moves but will be in this space for the next year. Took a couple weekends but I finally got it to the point where I am happy with what I have on hand. Naturally, shooters come first then everything else follows.

50047CA0-B4B3-4F45-9457-06CB549475CC.jpg

20AE73CB-3617-4D0F-A675-13E3B8DC20B0.jpg

FF5FAD5E-6E93-44DE-8712-841A95A43CB4.jpg

66DCEA0E-DE95-4B9F-B126-AC036F77F1EC.jpg

116FA69A-0517-4BBE-9455-BE8FFB48DA07.jpg

Jinto

^
Awesome setup, Yes Boss! Looks really cozy. What cables are you using for the NT Mini?

There hasn't been any activity in the retro gaming setup thread recently, so I've been craving some retro setup goodness.

Yes Boss!

I have the inexpensive monoprice component for the JVC and BNC for the PVM. The 8-Bit games looks better on the JVC.

Posted on the retro setup. Forgot about that one.

Jinto

I have the inexpensive monoprice component for the JVC and BNC for the PVM. The 8-Bit games looks better on the JVC.

Posted on the retro setup. Forgot about that one.

I have the monoprice component cables hooked up to my PVM. I actually prefer the picture hooked up to my monitor through HDMI. I'm just waiting for the scart cables from retro gaming cables to be back in stock.

In the mean time, I might try and test how it looks with component on my Sony Wega TV. It's a lot of work though to lug around that heavy ass TV from the garage.

Yes Boss!

I have the monoprice component cables hooked up to my PVM. I actually prefer the picture hooked up to my monitor through HDMI. I'm just waiting for the scart cables from retro gaming cables to be back in stock.

In the mean time, I might try and test how it looks with component on my Sony Wega TV. It's a lot of work though to lug around that heavy ass TV from the garage.

Depends on the TV I feel. Just gotta try. I prefer the consumer look on the JVC (and size) over the RGB PVM for the 8-bit stuff. 16-bit I prefer the PVM. I think I will try the HDMI since it does both simultaneously. I have not tried HDMI yet!

Jinto

Depends on the TV I feel. Just gotta try. I prefer the consumer look on the JVC (and size) over the RGB PVM for the 8-bit stuff. 16-bit I prefer the PVM. I think I will try the HDMI since it does both simultaneously. I have not tried HDMI yet!

That 8-bit vs 16-bit comment is pretty interesting. Maybe that's why it looked kinda off to me.

Yeah, you should definitely try the HDMI. I picked up the mini with the intention of only using the analogue outputs, but so far, it's been getting way more use on my monitor.

Finally finished my retro setup. I've been in transit for the last three months with three different moves but will be in this space for the next year. Took a couple weekends but I finally got it to the point where I am happy with what I have on hand. Naturally, shooters come first then everything else follows.

Nice setup. How's that camping seat work out for longer sessions?

IMHO the genesis library is far better than tye SNES one in the genres I enjoy the most (action games, arcade games, shmups, etc)

I agree!! These are some of my favorite exclusives on the system.

Afterburner
Adventures of Batman & Robin
Alien Storm
Atomic Runner
Bio Hazzard Battle
Burning Force
Castle of Illusion
Castlevania Bloodlines
Contra Hard Corps
Comix Zone
Elemental Master
Forgotten Worlds
Gaiares
Galaxy Force 2
Golden Axe 2
Gunstar Heroes
Hellfire
Lightning Force
Musha
Outrun
Phantasy Star IV
Phelios
Quackshot
Ranger X
Revenge of Shiniobi
Rocket Knight
Road Rash 2
Rolling Thunder 2
Shinobi 3
Sonic 1,2,3 & Knuckles
Space Harrier 2
Strider
TMNT Hyperstone Heist
Thunderforce 3
Vectorman
Wonderboy in Monster World

I have no issue with people preferring Genesis over SNES. It makes sense since Genesis is one of the best consoles out there. But the SNES library is insane as it has many good to amazing games on the system to be more than just ok.

I'd love to see a list if you have the time.

OMG I love this. So Awesome!!!!

Arzehn

Man, I wish GAF had a Buy/Sell thread dedicated to retro games. Up until now I've been buying cartridges on ebay, but want to start uping my PS1 collection and i feel like discs are going to be more random in terms of condition. At least I don't have to worry about dead/dying batteries with them though.

Man, I wish GAF had a Buy/Sell thread dedicated to retro games. Up until now I've been buying cartridges on ebay, but want to start uping my PS1 collection and i feel like discs are going to be more random in terms of condition. At least I don't have to worry about dead/dying batteries with them though.
I've had mostly good luck on eBay so far with disc games. Just buy stuff in "Very Good" or "Like New" condition, and you're usually fine. I also only order stuff from Canada now, since I run into way less weirdos and suspicious listings that way.

I've only had one item come smelling like smoke using these rules and that was pretty easy to fix, thankfully.

Just FYI stay away from LukieGames, their listings are always in "Very Good" but the actual condition will be much much worse.

Olly88

The NES had:
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario Bros
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Double Dragon 1
Double Dragon 2
Batman
Battletoads
Ninja Gaiden 1
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 3
Bionic Commando
Mega Man 1
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 4
TMNT 2 The Arcade Game
TMNT 3 The Manhattan Project
Bucky o Hare
Castlevania 1
Castlevania 3
Shatterhand
Contra
Super C
Blaster Master
Ducktales
Chip N Dale
Chip N Dale 2
Journey to Silius
TaleSpin
Life Force
Gradius
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
Power Blade
Shadow of the Ninja
Jackal
Darkwing Duck
Heavy Barrel
Gun Smoke
P.O.W. Prisoners of War
Guerrilla War

There's more I'm missing, but basically I'm saying I love this console a lot, it may not be the SNES, but it's definitely a great console that I still love to play on to this day even.

NES lists without Little Nemo make me sad. Love that game.

Khaz

Just FYI stay away from LukieGames, their listings are always in "Very Good" but the actual condition will be much much worse.

They're one of the few American pro sellers that don't charge bullshit to send overseas. I don't have many complaints, but I know I'll have to change the game case when it arrives because their packaging is shit lol

D.Lo

They're one of the few American pro sellers that don't charge bullshit to send overseas.
Yeah gotta give them props for that. None of this US27.50 (or even worse for Global Shipping ProScam) to send a NES cart when I got one last week that arrived in eight days and came in a box with a stamp that said $5 on it.

Fularu

Banned
Yeah gotta give them props for that. None of this US27.50 (or even worse for Global Shipping ProScam) to send a NES cart when I got one last week that arrived in eight days and came in a box with a stamp that said $5 on it.

5$? Boy he went for the expensive one. I once argued with a seller who charged me 25$ to ship 4 loose gb carts claiming it would cost that much.

The package had a 2.75$ stamp on it. Enjoy your negative feedback I guess :p

Timu

I'd love to see a list if you have the time.
Super Metroid
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario World
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
F-Zero
Contra 3
Act Raiser
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island
Earthbound
TMNT Turtles in Time
TMNT Tournament Fighters
Secret of Mana
Super Mario Kart
Mega Man X
Mega Man X2
Mega Manx X3
Super Ghouls N Ghosts
Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3
Sunset Riders
Secret of Evermore
Super Star Wars
Super Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back
Super Star Wars Return of the Jedi
Terranigma
Super Castlevania IV
Star Fox
Skyblazer
R-Type III
Ninja Warriors
Metal Warriors
Wild Guns
X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse
U.N. Squadron
Super Turrican
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Super Double Dragon
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
The King of Dragons
Knights of the Round
Illusion of Gaia
Gradius III
Demon's Crest
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs
Axelay
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Soul Blazer
Kirby Super Star
Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures

Some great retro goodness this week. Disney Collection and Wonder Boy.

Picking up both of those myself. Its been a while since I played the Disney games and I've never actually played Wonder Boy before (I think I own the MS version that this remake is based on but I honestly forget!). They will go great alongside with Wild Guns while I continue to play through Persona 5.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I wonder if these will get physical copies later. Capcom seems to do it with everything except Ace Attorney these days. WB is another story tho.
I can only hope but I really doubt WB will get one.

Developer here,

I think you guys are mixing up Wonder Boy (out April 18) and Monster Boy (no known release date). The later made a tweet (that went viral) to gauge interest in a physical release.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap was never planned as physical - we would of course love to do it eventually and are investigating that possibility for later but probably not soon. Hard to tell if it'll be actually doable on the Switch and at which cost at this point (the initial investment might be too high for us etc.). It is a mystery to everyone.

Tain

I really want Dragon's Trap but with a PC version announced as "coming later" I can't bring myself to grab it elsewhere.

I use to love looking on eBay so much back in the day, ever since I got a credit card (or rather at the time, my parents did lol :p) I would spend sooo much money finally being able to import all those dream games - too much money probably. But man it was worth it, was just at the right time to snag my N64 collection while they were 'cheap' for example.

Now-a-days though, I don't even bother to look. Being from New Zealand means I need stuff sent overseas, and that global shipping scam shit just killed any interest I had. It was supposed to be good, stuff that wasn't available to ship overseas before now is! But instead it just means shipping costs often double what the item itself is costing, ugh.

Oh well, probably for the best as I should spend my money wiser, boo. Still miss getting cool retro games in the mail though. :(

KC-Slater

I agree!! These are some of my favorite exclusives on the system.

Afterburner
Adventures of Batman & Robin
Alien Storm
Atomic Runner
Bio Hazzard Battle
Burning Force
Castle of Illusion
Castlevania Bloodlines
Contra Hard Corps
Comix Zone
Elemental Master
Forgotten Worlds
Gaiares
Galaxy Force 2
Golden Axe 2
Gunstar Heroes
Hellfire
Lightning Force
Musha
Outrun
Phantasy Star IV
Phelios
Quackshot
Ranger X
Revenge of Shiniobi
Rocket Knight
Road Rash 2
Rolling Thunder 2
Shinobi 3
Sonic 1,2,3 & Knuckles
Space Harrier 2
Strider
TMNT Hyperstone Heist
Thunderforce 3
Vectorman
Wonderboy in Monster World

No Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage???

5$? Boy he went for the expensive one. I once argued with a seller who charged me 25$ to ship 4 loose gb carts claiming it would cost that much.

The package had a 2.75$ stamp on it. Enjoy your negative feedback I guess :p

I'm looking to ship something approximately console box sized weighing about 5.5 kg over to the UK from US. Any advice? Rough estimates I've done on websites give me absolutely insane results like $100-300+ which is crazy to me, but unsure if that is correct for something of that size/weight. All I've ever sent in the past are small envelopes/media sleeves so not sure what my expectations should be.

B9K5C8z.png

Fularu

Banned
I'm looking to ship something approximately console box sized weighing about 5.5 kg over to the UK from US. Any advice? Rough estimates I've done on websites give me absolutely insane results like $100-300+ which is crazy to me, but unsure if that is correct for something of that size/weight. All I've ever sent in the past are small envelopes/media sleeves so not sure what my expectations should be.

B9K5C8z.png

Those prices are nuts

https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculato...l=False&dmil=False&mdt=4/17/2017&m=12&dvi=100

Whenever I order from the US to Canada I always make sure to never over pay for shipping, I had a 25" Dell monitor delivered for 20$ seems like you should be able to find something on the page I linked.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
About the Nes, Snes, Mega Drive and older consoles.

I am in the camp who doesnt have much interest in the 2600 or pre-Nes stuf - but I absolutely love the Nes, and i think its probably my favorite system of all time. Like others have said, there are so many great action-plattformers on the system. And while many of them are great in their own right, i also really, really like that the Nes came out before video game genres were clearly established - meaning developers experienced with a lot of games that later would be considered genre hybrids. Think of stuff like Guardian Legend, Blaster Master, Zelda 2 etc. So on the Nes we have the top games that everybody knows and loves (Contra, SMB3, Mega Man etc), then we have the wierd genre hybrids, then we have the more experimental stuff like Metal Storm and Bionic Commando - and the we have just a ton of really great standard action-plattformers like Power Blade, Shatterhand, Shadow of the Ninja, Astyanax and so on. Then we have the rpgs, shooters and other genres. And if we throw in the Famicom - i think you can easily get to 150 and maybe 200 worthwhile games on the system. So all in all, i just think the quality of the best games are great, the quantity is immense, and the variety is also really unique on it.

Now for the Snes and Mega Drive, they are probably my second and third favorite consoles of all time and i love both of them. I think the best games on the Snes are probably the best ever - Mario World the best Mario, Zelda 3 the best Zelda, Super Metroid best Metroid, FF3 best FF etc - and the console also has good variety. But i personally feel that the middle-games - stuff like the disney-games from Capcom, most of the beatemups on the system, the shooters - are generally less interesting than the similar middle-games on the Nes. Meaning that really diving into the library is less fun. For the Mega Drive on the other hand, i feel the top games are not as good as on the Snes, but that the middle-games are often way more unique and interesting, so it is more interesting to dive into for me now.

All in all, i think all three machines are awesome, and for me at least, gaming was at its peak at that time around 1990 - which is probably fitting considering I am born in 84.

B9K5C8z.png

Wow... my main hobby is hi-fi. I can tell you right now I have shipped things much larger and much more expensive then whatever you are trying to ship and the only time I hit those prices is if I am insuring the package. EX; amplifier, case of vacuum tubes.

Edit: NES era gaming or why I love 8 bit. In the early 80's Atari had the market cornered and then the industry bubbled. PC gaming was finding it's way for those of us that were fortunate enough to be able to be around that era I was one of the few kids in 1987 that had a family that actually had the ability to game on PC type devices having an engineer as a parent was wicked awesome. Nintendo comes around drops a semi affordable device that takes no programming or electronics knowledge to work and sells plug and play games for it. Not only were said games interesting there was a passionate crowd of developers that actually thought out theoretical game design and level design. Crazy shit was coming out such as Mario but even crazier shit was coming out like Rescue: The Embassy Mission Anyone remember Rescue? That game was super simple but oh so awesome when it first released. Maybe I have nostalgia glasses on but my childhood gaming was amazing.

Zelda, Zelda 2, Metroid, TMNT these games were hot commodities and central to many passionate playground discussions during recess.

NES>Atari 2600 IMO. I'm still playing and finding NES games to play to this day(and the system holds up better as well).

Same.

I am not an action-platformer fan overall, so I think the NES is pretty overrated, but the 2600 is pretty meh. Back in the day I had an Atari 800 which was so much better that it isn't funny.

It wasn't until the SNES that I really treated consoles as equals with computers.

The thing is on pre-NES consoles most games were arcade ports of very simple games that dealt with single screens at a time, were score focused, and didn't have much depth. The entire gameplay was always focused on a single addicting mechanic for a high score or competing with another player in the same mechanics. There is a completely transformative difference for the type of games that came out on NES (and Sega systems, and MSX, and etc) vs what came before.

I like to think of the line as being Super Mario Bros, but Namco was even earlier with Pac-Land in arcades and Capcom was right on point with Makaimura coming out around the same time as SMB. It was the technology of the era that drove games to be more complicated + interesting and the 1985 line in that sense is just really hard for me to cross back over. This idea of longer games that exist outside of the narrow box of your screen and outside of one sitting, games that scroll through big worlds or games that can persist data across play sessions, games that are about more than just competing with another player but interacting with a game world are what matter to me. The explosion of game genres after 1985 is really a result of the improving technology and the NES just happened to have the right mix of technology at the right time to be the first platform for many groundbreaking and long-running game series.

I don't really know how you can like SNES or Genesis and not like what's on tap for NES. Sure, developers got better at making games, the resources they had were better in terms of storage space, system speed, sprite limits, color, and so on, but fundamentally the types of games you got were pretty similar.

In a few days from now Full Throttle will be back!!!

How are the puzzles on the game? I played Day of the Tentacle just last week and felt like such an idiot not being able to figure out many of the puzzles. Not quite as bad as my feeble attempt on Grim Fandango but still... I'll probably wait for Full Throttle to hit PS+, I love the look of the game/setting but don't doubt I'll be rubbish at the actual game :(

Those prices are nuts

https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculato...l=False&dmil=False&mdt=4/17/2017&m=12&dvi=100

Whenever I order from the US to Canada I always make sure to never over pay for shipping, I had a 25" Dell monitor delivered for 20$ seems like you should be able to find something on the page I linked.

Thanks, I believe the top box should be big enough. Miiight be able to squeeze down to the second, but I need decent padding space so will do better measurements and figure it out.

Wow... my main hobby is hi-fi. I can tell you right now I have shipped things much larger and much more expensive then whatever you are trying to ship and the only time I hit those prices is if I am insuring the package. EX; amplifier, case of vacuum tubes.

It definitely seems off. Maybe my own box and weight ratio are just right for the worst outcome, dunno. Here's what I've been using, for reference: 12 lbs, 18" L x 9" H x 16" W

The thing is on pre-NES consoles most games were arcade ports of very simple games that dealt with single screens at a time, were score focused, and didn't have much depth. The entire gameplay was always focused on a single addicting mechanic for a high score or competing with another player in the same mechanics. There is a completely transformative difference for the type of games that came out on NES (and Sega systems, and MSX, and etc) vs what came before.

I still like that kind of game a lot. My chief issue with the 2600 was that they were *bad* arcade conversions. Even NES conversions could be iffy, depending on the game.

I don't really know how you can like SNES or Genesis and not like what's on tap for NES. Sure, developers got better at making games, the resources they had were better in terms of storage space, system speed, sprite limits, color, and so on, but fundamentally the types of games you got were pretty similar.

Well, like I said, I don't overall like action-platformers, and the Atari 800/ST C64/Amiga had better games of the extended-gameplay variety (and also dating back earlier) than the NES did. The Genesis and SNES brought the console world up to the level of those (admittedly niche and expensive) systems. SNES in particular seemed to have a big explosion in creativity for types of games.

RAIDEN1

Puzzle wise Full Throttle is fairly straight-forward, we aren't talking levels of what the DIG was like...last time I played the game was in it's original 95 release...there won't be that much requirement to turn to a guide I think....in actual fact I have been referring to a guide for Day of the Tentacle! Just to make my way through the game a.s.a.p, as I have had it for a year now but never got round to getting to complete it..and with the game as it's not really "open-word" per say there are only so many characters you can speak to before you have to try and get the story moving along..

But with Full Throttle I'll take my time... more so because it is not the best game from LucasArts in terms of longevity and also what I mentioned in the original thread for this game, it is likely to be the ONLY full throttle game we EVER get... : ( so even though it's all well and good having another chance to play this game, the fact that there will never be a sequel is all the more disappointing, we can get fresh entries for Monkey Island and Sam and Max but not for this game....with that in mind they should have made this version a directors cut edition, padding out the game's length a lot more...

Super Metroid
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario World
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
F-Zero
Contra 3
Act Raiser
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island
Earthbound
TMNT Turtles in Time
TMNT Tournament Fighters
Secret of Mana
Super Mario Kart
Mega Man X
Mega Man X2
Mega Manx X3
Super Ghouls N Ghosts
Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3
Sunset Riders
Secret of Evermore
Super Star Wars
Super Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back
Super Star Wars Return of the Jedi
Terranigma
Super Castlevania IV
Star Fox
Skyblazer
R-Type III
Ninja Warriors
Metal Warriors
Wild Guns
X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse
U.N. Squadron
Super Turrican
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Super Double Dragon
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
The King of Dragons
Knights of the Round
Illusion of Gaia
Gradius III
Demon's Crest
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs
Axelay
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Soul Blazer
Kirby Super Star
Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures

For platforming, I've probably put more time into the Super Star Wars games than anything else. The Donkey Kong series has great music, but it just doesn't do much for me. I played an hour of Earthbound and didn't care for it. And Super Mario RPG is probably the only thing on there I would be interested in playing.

No Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage???

LOL not sure how I missed that one. If i was to put them in order of best to worst it would be:

SOR 2
SOR 1
SOR 3

How are the puzzles on the game? I played Day of the Tentacle just last week and felt like such an idiot not being able to figure out many of the puzzles. Not quite as bad as my feeble attempt on Grim Fandango but still... I'll probably wait for Full Throttle to hit PS+, I love the look of the game/setting but don't doubt I'll be rubbish at the actual game :(

I think its one of the easier point and click Lucas Arts Adventure games. So easier than DOTT

F
I think its one of the easier point and click Lucas Arts Adventure games. So easier than DOTT

That's good to hear. But I remember friends telling me the same about DOTT compared to Grim Fandango and I still struggled with it! I'm still tempted to pick it up though, maybe if I can clear my backlog first...

Peltz

I like to think of the line as being Super Mario Bros, but Namco was even earlier with Pac-Land in arcades and Capcom was right on point with Makaimura coming out around the same time as SMB. It was the technology of the era that drove games to be more complicated + interesting and the 1985 line in that sense is just really hard for me to cross back over. This idea of longer games that exist outside of the narrow box of your screen and outside of one sitting, games that scroll through big worlds or games that can persist data across play sessions, games that are about more than just competing with another player but interacting with a game world are what matter to me. The explosion of game genres after 1985 is really a result of the improving technology and the NES just happened to have the right mix of technology at the right time to be the first platform for many groundbreaking and long-running game series.

I agree with all this. NES does feel like the first console that delivered "modern" gameplay on a consistent basis. It was definitely a start of cool things I love about the hobby.

But I don't think single-screen games are some sort of "less fun" experiences or anything. Like... I can really dig Pong against a good opponent. Or Joust.

Heck, Ms. Pacman is one of my absolute favorite games of all time and that came out in 81 - 6 years before I was even born. So for me, there really is no dividing line. Games are games. That's not just limited to videogames - pinball, sports, board games, cards, - if the rules are well crafted within the chosen medium, it's going to be fun and replayable regardless of age.

Now, the NES is still the home first system that consistently gave birth to a particular type of fun - large experiences not limited to a single screen. It also was the first true unified "home" for so many franchises that people continue to enjoy today - Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Ninja Gaiden, Zelda, Mario, Dragon Quest, and (literally) countless others all got their mainstream start on the NES. So in that sense, it was the hardware that really sparked the imagination of creators that people consider to be very timeless.

Personally, I couldn't imagine being into retro games but finding the NES to just be "okay." But every console has its detractors. It's just how it is.

16-bit is where console gaming solidified and refined its unique identity in gaming at large. For better, and imo in some respects, for worse. You don't need me to tell you Dark Souls popularity came as a result of many years of an under served audience, after all. I understand why it is often cited as the golden era of that time of gaming. Personally I think the stuff that followed such as on Saturn, and Neo Geo, though largely overshadowed by that sexy new 3D thing, was where everything came together beautifully, but ah well... preference and all.

I mean, I think Castlevania III, Rondo, and SOTN are all rad. Not like I have to pick my children.

kathode

Personally I think the stuff that followed such as on Saturn, and Neo Geo, though largely overshadowed by that sexy new 3D thing, was where everything came together beautifully, but ah well... preference and all.

Can you list some titles for those of us not too familiar with these systems?

Top Bottom