• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walt Disney Co Announce $66B Acquisition of 21st Century Fox

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Disney Sets Deal To Acquire Most Of Fox, A Game-Changing Deal That Will Redraw Hollywood Landscape Disney Fox Hollywood

The Walt Disney Co. announced its acquisition of a major portion of 21st Century Fox in a deal that dramatically remakes the entertainment landscape and positions the media giant for the future.

The deal, officially valued at $66.1 billion including assumption of debt, will create an entertainment colossus that expands Disney’s footprint in every area. The agreement encompasses Fox’s prolific film and television studios, its FX and National Geographic cable networks, Fox’s regional sports networks, its 39% stake in U.K. satellite television provider Sky and its international cable networks, including Star India.

Setmeni

I am thoroughly interested in how this shapes not only Disney’s theme parks but Universals as well. Not to mention the impact this will have on Netflix and Hulu.

T.v

Not a fan of the way Disney treats their movies at all. Them becoming this big is not something that fills me with immediate joy.

After the latest Star Wars, can't say I'm too enthusiastic. Will X Men end up being another franchise I'm left disappointed in (Apocalypse & Last Stand apart ha ha)

Nodnol

From a film perspective, bring it on. Marvel and Lucasfilm have been allowed to largely do what they want. Anyone that resorts to blame Disney for either studio’s films are being lazy.

From a consumer point of view though, Disney is getting uncomfortably large.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Whelp after all the current MCU stars contracts are up looks like the X-Men will keep the MCU going.

I am...Okay with that! Really hope we get some good X-Men Movies.

Think a new Wolverine will show up in Infinity War part 2 as a cameo?

Soltype

I honestly don't know how to feel about this, most of the media coming out of studios today is crap so I can't necessarily say it's going to be worse off in Disney's hands.Not a fan of one company holding all the cards though.

Osukaa

Damn it actually happened lol. Im a huge Fan of the Marvel Movies so im looking forward to all the new Wave of films that will start to come out in a couple of years. As for the so called Disney Monopoly I really don't care im "meh" on the subject.

On the one hand, it's great that all this "X-Men who?" bullshit is finally going to end at Marvel.

But on the other, Disney is buying fucking everything.

Joe T.

So they just now became too big? What were they before?

Oh, that's definitely debatable, I will give you that. Things have changed so much in the 21st century as far as government regulation is concerned that it's not even funny. About 20 years ago Microsoft was targeted for anti-competitive practices by the US Department of Justice because it bundled Internet Explorer with every copy of its Windows OS. Fast forward to today where it's difficult to imagine such a claim would ever be taken seriously. We're heading to a future where a handful of companies provide all our goods and services and the general public isn't showing any resistance whatsoever.

Does this mean more or less Disney shill in forums ? thank god most of them including the most obnoxious one dissapeared from the ones I post in.

Zok310

Banned
Now they pretty much own too much shit for my comfort.
Can’t see this as favorable for consumers and the folks playing roles in their comic books.

Venuspower

Not a really big surprise to me.
Rumors about that have been out since a few years. Especially since Disney bought Star Wars. As you may have known 20th Century Fox still owned Star Wars Episode IV even after GL sold the Star Wars brand to Disney. Thats why Disney always had to pay $ to 20th Century Fox everytime they wanted to do something with Episode IV/when they were using stuff from Episode IV. Now they have full access to all of the movies.

With the buyout of Sky they also have new resources for their streaming service.
Will be a really interesting future.

Rick1o1

I wonder if this has the potential to change the movie industry for the worse. They could easily pressure theathers, streaming services and stores. Do x or y or else you won't get any of our movies.

Alcibiades

Hoping the U. S. government doesn't allow the merger. Not good for consumers or workers in these companies.

Competition is a good thing and now you're going from 6 major studios (Sony, Disney, Fox, Universal, Paramount, Warner) to only 5.

Having the majority of comic movies coming from only 2 studios (Warner and Disney now) will probably limit creativity going forward.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Hoping the U. S. government doesn't allow the merger. Not good for consumers or workers in these companies.

Competition is a good thing and now you're going from 6 major studios (Sony, Disney, Fox, Universal, Paramount, Warner) to only 5.

Having the majority of comic movies coming from only 2 studios (Warner and Disney now) will probably limit creativity going forward.

Yeah, the Writers Guild of America went in on this deal earlier in the week, with good reason. Even just looking at the number of releases, we'll be getting less. Disney isn't going to be putting out 3-4 X-Men adjacent films on top of their current Marvel releases. Disney already has to juggle their releases so they don't eat into each other, with some really narrow windows.

Atrus

Gold Member

I think Trump has already called Murdoch to praise the deal, so it'll be down to the Justice department to act on its own accord. Corporate consolidation will also happen in other measures now that net neutrality has been revoked and companies race for content.

Top Bottom