• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Blaze puts Tomi Lahren show on hold after she voiced 'pro-choice' stance

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an incredible sack of shit - that Syrian tweet is something else.

I'm glad the idiot mob is "attacking" (re: responding in kind with their dumbass ideology) her for one of the extremely scarce decent opinions that she has. Bit the hate filled hand that fed her.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
On top of having hateful views, it should be noted that she opportunistically exaggerates them for views and clicks. She amplifies her own awful views, or worse, is acting - for money. Evil harmful nastiness, for personal gain.

Linkura

I would be fine with this, as she's a terrible human being, but the reason why she was suspended makes me feel gross. Pretty much shows that the right will only tolerate women if they fall right into line 100%; they are never truly equals.

Gattsu25

Banned
While I vehemently disagree with her views.. I can't support finding joy in her suspension being portrayed as problematic. Good.

Don't do this.

She is a bad person. She is an ignorant bigot whose job is literally to spread hate.

This idea that hate should be accepted as a "different view" is stupid.

she is a bad person, but she most definitely is not an ignorant bigot.

She is not ignorant. Just a bigot.

She knows EXACTLY what she is doing.

It's all for money. Nothing else.

Saying that you're an independent thinker, is kind of like saying you're cool. Doesn't mean you're not, but having to say it kind of deflates yourself.

Being conservative's got to be very hard. It's like going to the store, and instead of just using common sense in deciding what you should, want and need to eat, you can only eat one thing, and after picking up that one thing, you have focus the remaining 90% of your energy and time with hating everything else in the store.

Saying that you're an independent thinker, is kind of like saying you're cool. Doesn't mean you're not, but having to say it kind of deflates yourself.

Being conservative's got to be very hard. It's like going to the store, and instead of just using common sense in deciding what you should, want and need to eat, you can only eat one thing, and after picking up that one thing, you have focus the remaining 90% of your energy and time with hating everything else in the store.

Yup.

And that makes her truly despicable.

Yuuuup.

I'm 25. I make my living having gone to school, working an engineering job at a power plant providing electricity to homes.

In my spare time I run Smash Bros. tournaments and do charity video gaming work with Extra Life.

You don't have to be someone parroting racist political views at my age to make a living, but that's exactly what she's doing.

Spinluck

Don't feel bad for her.

Her show was garbage, and she was a straight up hack. Nothing but an ignorant mouthpiece. She straight up bashed abortion on her show but was probably reading a teleprompter. Still though, she said it, and I don't feel bad for anything for her, she's already casted out her bullshit for the country to hear.

Would be great if her and Milo both fell off the map this year. But I suspect that she'll somehow remain somewhat relevant.

Meh, I don't agree with her political views, but it's pretty fucked up that some of you are celebrating this.

Yeah, so shameful that a someone profiting solely off of racism is being held to task for 'daring' to offer up a modicum of respectability for once.

I'm in tears.

faint.

Yeah, a talking head losing a gig is one of life's great tragedies. How tasteless to joke about it.
nah its cool
job market's rough out there, no big loss - don't worry, they'll find another hateful mouthpiece if the money's right
LOL.

What the fuck are you on about? Let me guess: one of those people who think getting fired from a TV show constitutes censorship or a violation of free speech rights? Come on, now.

She's a scumbag spewing hate on a scumbag hate-spewing "network." She toed out of line for their mission statement so they decided it was her time to go. What is "fucked up" about laughing at some degenerate bigot losing her soapbox for an ironic reason? For real, though, good to see your priorities are in the right place as far as standing up for the oppressed goes.
Don't do this.

She is a bad person. She is an ignorant bigot whose job is literally to spread hate.

This idea that hate should be accepted as a "different view" is stupid.
A hateful, ignorant bigot who spreads dangerous rhetoric loses their platform and people shouldn't be happy about it?
It's not "political views", it's hate. Everyone should be fucking celebrating this. The more those fuckheads lose their jobs the better.

Her losing her job is a literal positive thing for humanity.

So no, celebrating it isn't fucked up.
HAH. Please explain.

She didn't die, mate, she got 1 week paid leave.
Her views make her a piece of shit. So....who cares?

Happy to commit account suicide. My point was we should not be celebrating her inability to speak freely about her stance on abortion. Yes, it's a minority opinion in her party, and yes, I imagine the network she works for is not full of the greatest people on earth. I personally don't find laughing at the irony of Republican rhetoric funny as this reflects a more pressing issue of preventing people from speaking freely against the norms of their "platform." While it was later stated the hold on her show is not due to her being pro-choice, the timeline of events makes that very hard to believe.

Steel

Banned
Happy to commit account suicide. My point was we should not be celebrating her inability to speak freely about her stance on abortion. Yes, it's a minority opinion in her party, and yes, I imagine the network she works for is not full of the greatest people on earth. I personally don't find laughing at the irony of Republican rhetoric funny as this reflects a more pressing issue of preventing people from speaking freely against the norms of their "platform." While it was later stated the hold on her show is not due to her being pro-choice, the timeline of events makes that very hard to believe.

Her free speech isn't being infringed on, is the point. Nothing's stopping her from being fired for this. She chose to work for a company that has a very shitty set of views, and, surprise surprise, they fire people that don't ahve those views.

IrishNinja

My point was we should not be celebrating her inability to speak freely about her stance on abortion

i can simultaneously continue to hold disdain for the GOP's anti-women stances and still celebrate this bigot potentially losing her job, even if it's for the wrong reasons. i don't think it's that complicated.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I would literally have to care about the plight of crickets in that factory that makes cricket flour before I care about whether Tomi is gainfully employed.

This insistence on becoming some transcendent human who cares about all things and how all things interact is tiring.

Gattsu25

Banned
Her free speech isn't being infringed on, is the point. Nothing's stopping her from being fired for this. She chose to work for a company that has a very shitty set of views, and, surprise surprise, they fire people that don't ahve those views.

Yeah, this is where I land.

She chose to work for a shitty company with fucked up political views because they liked her own set of fucked up political views. She then got fired because her fucked up political views weren't fucked up just enough for that shitty company she chose to work for.

The sun rises, the sun falls.

Her boss, Blaze founder Glenn Beck, sparred with her on Twitter on Sunday night, suggesting her claim of being a libertarian clashed with her support of President Donald Trump's executive orders and health care proposal. "#intellectualhonesty," he tweeted.

So does this mean Beck supports or is against Trump?

Please state what "inability to speak freely about her stance on abortion"?

Is she not allowed to go on the street with a microphone and espouse her opinions? Is she not allowed to go on a TV show again and say those same things?

Also don't worry about account suicide. As long as you are intellectually honest and answer people's questions there's no chance of you getting banned or anything. It's the people who whine, start insulting people, and never honestly discuss their views that get banned.

I must have missed the part where Glen Beck threw her in jail? She's free to give whatever opinions she wants. People are just reveling in the sweet irony of a woman who shit all over people who dared have dissenting opinions (see Black lives Matter) now being outcast from her own social/business circle once she outlived her usefulness and offered a dissenting opinion of her own.

Gattsu25

Banned
So does this mean Beck supports or is against Trump?

Neither.

He's pointing out that Trump's executive orders are things that libertarians should be opposed to, yet she is fans of Trump's EOs.

So, in his eyes, the reason she gave for being pro-choice is on shaky ground as she is happy with disagreeing with libertarians in all other areas where libertarians and tea partiers disagree.

This is all after she brought up the right's contradictory stance on "keep the guv'mt out of my life" flying out the window when it comes to abortion. They're both pointing out logical conundrums in each other's belief systems...but Beck is her boss.

Fox Mulder

beck's done the "principled conservative" thing of openly disliking trump but adoring most of what he's done

He was a Cruz guy, but came crawling to Trump like the rest of them. He was even positioning himself for a Hilary world where Trump's loss destroyed the party, but Trump is where his audience is now.

Lahren has outgrown Glenn Beck's Blaze anyways, and has already made a name for herself even if a pro choice stance is a death sentence for the right.

The Kree

Banned
I would literally have to care about the plight of crickets in that factory that makes cricket flour before I care about whether Tomi is gainfully employed.

This insistence on becoming some transcendent human who cares about all things and how all things interact is tiring.

It's not a good faith argument. No sincerity involved. Don't worry about it. Check the post count and hit the ignore button.

Gotchaye

So, I broadly agree with you that it's unhealthy for things like the news media, think tanks, universities, etc., to do too much ideological policing. It would be very concerning if The New York Times suspended a columnist for being pro-choice or pro-life. It's illiberal.

But being illiberal is the whole point of conservative institutions. I'm not being cute - I mean "illiberal" in the regular sense of the word. Conservatives go out and start alternative news and think tanks and even universities precisely so that they can enforce strict ideological standards on what gets communicated. It's not really sad to see The Blaze do this because of course The Blaze did this. That's what it's for. Everyone knows this. Lahren knew this going in. This doesn't speak to any broader issue because the real news media is engaged in a totally different project.

I mean, sure, The Blaze should let its commentators say pro-choice things. The world would be a better place if it let her do that. The world would be an even better place if The Blaze shut down entirely. But no one is surprised that this stuff doesn't happen. So in the meantime people are amused at examples of people with evil views landing on the wrong side of conservative ideological policing because their views weren't uniformly evil enough. It's funny in part because conservatives like to complain so much about liberal thought police, but when you give them the slightest bit of power they're far more extreme.

At least we can see more proof that her opinions are purely for money when she's on the network as she lambasts Lena Dunham for having an abortion but then flip-flops that it's not baby genocide but is about limited gov't.

tomi_lahren_abortion_by_digi_matrix-db350t8.png

Her statement: "Conservatives don't have to exist in a monolith" contradicts where she works. Conservative institutions ever since Nixon have been built around certain regressive values and if you don't abide by that, you're out.

I'd spend less time on message boards, and more time learning what your first amendment actually protects you against. She's not owed a TV platform to spread her "opinion" nor is such covered under the first amendment. In an ideal world the Blaze wouldn't exist and American conservatives wouldn't be such a regressive party that is anti any and everything not straight, white, male, and Evangelical Christian. If The Blaze wants to fire her for being pro-choice (as if that cancels out all the heinous shit she says) then I'm not going to defend the girl, I shall celebrate it because that's less exposure for her, and in turn less people who can hear her idiot racist pointless drivel.

Net win in the end, a win is a win.

riotous

Banned
I really do wonder if she recently had an abortion; not that it's anyone's business but to go from the typical "baby murder" rhetoric to being pro choice, particularly when you know it puts your job into jeopardy is pretty extreme.

Chumley

Banned

We're preventing people from speaking freely by calling out their fucking bullshit hypocrisy?

E3rfvvB.jpg

Are you for real?

I really do wonder if she recently had an abortion; not that it's anyone's business but to go from the typical "baby murder" rhetoric to being pro choice, particularly when you know it puts your job into jeopardy is pretty extreme.

It's entirely possible, but as you said, it's none of our business.

karasu

she is a bad person, but she most definitely is not an ignorant bigot.

She is not ignorant. Just a bigot.

She knows EXACTLY what she is doing.

It's all for money. Nothing else.

Why do people always give these guys so much credit by suggesting that they're only pretending to be vile for money? No, she's a fucking asshole and she means what she says. Just like Trump. Just like Ann Coulter. This is who they are.

She'll be back and bigger than before because of this. For whatever reason, people give her hateful rhetoric constant attention. She thrives off reactions to her BS and dumbass tweets. Tv shows are slowly giving her a platform to spread her mess too.

Meh, I don't agree with her political views, but it's pretty fucked up that some of you are celebrating this.
Alright. So, there's this chick. She has a big audience and uses that to spew utter trash, blow away on those dog whistles, keep those bloomin' 'feminazis' (read: women) in check, have just the most ridiculous and reactionary opinions to every small event in order to incense her audience to hate certain groups.

Now, this chick doesn't even lose her job but gets it put on 'hold' and you think its fucked up that people are happy about this? Like, sure, maybe think people are being a bit harsh but to call people 'fucked up' for it?

Jesus.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
As one of her twitter critics mentioned, she pointed out that it was logically inconsistent to ask for small government and then try to legislate on women's bodies.

She shouldna gone and done that.
Yeah but being logically inconsistent is a hallmark trait of Republicans.

"I want small government, and the government better stay out of my business! Oh but, those folk over there, I need y'all boys to regulate and legislate the shit out of them. You hear me? No gays, no abortions, no hand outs, nothing. While you're at it, mind putting some that beautiful Jesus preaching into the public school systems? But hey, you better not be giving those kids some free breakfast. Fill their precious hearts with the word of god, and don't worry about filling their hungry little bellies with food. The gospel is fulfilling enough. God bless."

Outrage culture is real and you can't say shit in today's world on both sides of the spectrum. Shit is truly the end of free speech, the end of being able to voice one's opinions. Shit is disgusting.

Gray Matter

I honestly don't think she is pro choice when it comes to ALL women, just herself. Everyone acts different when they are the one being threatened and treated differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom