• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ChileGAF |OT| CTM weon que pulento el thread!

Taxes for a natural person are easy peasy. Just get a password for sii.cl and when the time comes go to the website and the government will offer you a proposed tax declaration. This assumes 30% of your income as expenses up to a max of around 8mm so you only pay taxes on the remaining 70%.

You can reject this proposal and manually deduct your expenses, I'd recommend just accepting the default.
Thanks man. I guess what I heard is true and it is way easier than in Canada. I wonder if I will get any money back. I will go to SII to get my password and have it all ready when the time comes.

Damn, you guys reminded me that I need to do that crap about the taxes.
The worst part is after three years of living in Chile I will have to also declare my income from outside Chile in my home country. I work a bit online in my spare time also and get paid in USA/Canadian dollars so Chile is going to want a piece of that unfortunately. You get a three year tax-break in Chile as an extranjero and then SII will come asking for them lucasss.

Anyone in Santiago and wanna let a fellow gaffer sleep on their couch today? Never stick your dick in crazy (chilenas ಠ_ಠ) they told me...

sphinx

the piano man
Some internationally well known Chileans:

- Pinochet and Allende, but pretty please try to avoid this pair, we're already on it and we still have a long way to go.
- Cote de Pablo, an actress... i guess
- The fat dude from Lost (i didn't watch it so i dunno his name)
- Kane Blueriver, the people's champ
- Don Francisco (His actual name is Mario Kreutzberger)
- Oberyn Martell
- Some youtuber named YoSoyGerman
- The 33 miners (minus 1, who is Bolivian)
- Pablo Neruda
- Violeta Parra
- Horatio Sanz
- Tom Araya, el angel de la muerte, monarca del reino de los muertos
- Alexis Sanchez (Arsenal) and Arturo Vidal (Bayern Munich)
- Manuel Pellegrini, the most loved MCFC manager ever
HAHAHAHAHAHHA
- Alejandro Jodorowski, a genius
- Nicanor Parra, another genius

I know most of you Chileans don't know about him but you REALLY have to know.

One of the most importants classical pianists of the last century is Chilean

Claudio Arrau
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Claudio Arrau León (February 6, 1903 – June 9, 1991) was a Chilean pianist known for his interpretations of a vast repertoire spanning the baroque to 20th-century composers, especially Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin, Schumann, Liszt and Brahms. He is widely considered one of the greatest pianists of the twentieth century.

arrau_claudio_c_1941.jpg

you'd do good to add it to the list OP. Doesn't matter that he's dead and from other era, people need to know you've got one of the Top 3 pianists of the world in the 20th century besides Horowitz (Russia) and Rubinstein (Poland)

Robaperas

I'm in Nuñoa now but I'd go anywhere within the metro map. I am looking for a place now on really short notice. May sleep in Plaza Nuñoa. :/

Wow, that seems a bit dangerous.. can you afford a room for the night? In Yapo you can find those. As a last resort go and sleep in public hospital waiting room, you have less chances to get kicked in the head or stabbed in there.

cLOUDo

you'd do good to add it to the list OP. Doesn't matter that he's dead and from other era, people need to know you've got one of the Top 3 pianists of the world in the 20th century besides Horowitz (Russia) and Rubinstein (Poland)

Claudio Bravo (Barcelona's goalkeeper)
the champion of Smash bros (fat guy with scarf)
Claudio Miranda cinematographer oscar winning for Life of Pi
Marcelo Rios former World No. 1 tennis player
Nicolas Massu winner of two Olympic gold medals in Tennis (He is the only male player to have won both the singles and doubles gold medals during the same games in modern Olympic tennis ) and more important he bang Salma Hayek.

Wow, that seems a bit dangerous.. can you afford a room for the night? In Yapo you can find those. As a last resort go and sleep in public hospital waiting room, you have less chances to get kicked in the head or stabbed in there.

I'm not from Santiago so i can't do much for you. Why don't you try a hostel? http://hostalforestal.cl/ charge 13 USD for one night in a shared room. (Don't sleep in the plaza if you want to live)

Haha was exaggerating a bit. I have walked the most shady of streets in Santiago at all hours of the night and never felt threatened, the callejeros keep me company! I feel less safe in Canada than in Santiago to be honest. Been living here for two years but a lot of my friends are away on vacation but found a place for the night.

I like Ana Tijoux. She is cool as hell personality wise. I've seen her a few times during fiesta patrias and she is always fun to watch.

FuuRe

you'd do good to add it to the list OP

You bet! dunno what happened to me while redacting that list, will also add Claudio Bravo and Claudio Bravo

I have walked the most shady of streets in Santiago at all hours of the night and never felt threatened.

No offense but I doubt it, there's some ultra dangerous shit out there when if you aren't known in that area you will totally get mugged, beaten and/or even killed.

You bet! dunno what happened to me while redacting that list, will also add Claudio Bravo and Claudio Bravo

No offense but I doubt it, there's some ultra dangerous shit out there when if you aren't known in that area you will totally get mugged, beaten and/or even killed.
I've gotten lucky then.

What are some of the areas in Santiago you'd say someone would be killed or beaten in just for not being known there? La Legua, San Joaquin?

I am curious now. Quinta normal? Estacion central? Puente Alto? El Bosque? Centro, Providencia, Las Condes, La Reina, Vitacura (lol rich grandma gonna mug me) Never had an issue. More scared walking the streets of New York at night than anywhere I've been in the Santiago region. I've never been to La Legua but have no reason to anyways. I haven't been to most places not listed above.

I used to live in a pueblo south of Santiago and was by no means "known" with 99% drug addicts and never had any issues. I think Chileans are very fearful of each other, to an unhealthy degree. Again, maybe I've been lucky/naive gringo and one day I'm gonna get cut.

I used to live in a pueblo south of Santiago and was by no means "known" with 99% drug addicts and never had any issues. I think Chileans are very fearful of each other, to an unhealthy degree. Again, maybe I've been lucky/naive gringo and one day I'm gonna get cut.

I agree with you. Chilean, specially Santiago people think they're gonna get killed if they walk late at night, but it is not like that. At worst, someone can rob you, but that's a common fear in the world.

Chilean TV wants people to believe they live in the most dangerous place in the world, that crime is worst than in Gotham City and it isn't like that.

There are some dangerous places, but it's not the norm. I've lived in "dangerous" like near Poblacion La Victoria, and "safer" places like a very good neighbohor in Maipú, and I've only had one problem in the latter lol And it was once.

I'm sorry if other fellow ChileGaffer have had worse problems, but I think it is not as seen on TV.

AFPs and the quality of education are a worse problem than crime.

Though I'm surprised by you saying you don't feel as safe in Canada. I'm thinking about applying for a job (via the embassy) and going to Canada for a better life, because I don't think Chile is a good future lol

FuuRe

What are some of the areas in Santiago you'd say someone would be killed or beaten in just for not being known there? La Legua, San Joaquin?

Don't think it's luck, there are areas inside the communes that are better than other, for example, i live in Puente Alto in a place you could say it's middle-upper class, unless i'm living surrounded by narcos all the nice houses and cars are from people with income higher than average.

But in puente alto you have areas like El Volcan and El Volcan 2, Bajos de Mena, Carol Urzúa and a lot more, the area limiting La Pintana is some shady shit, needless to say, La Pintana is also super shady.

I remember visiting some friends in Peñalolen some years ago, near Grecia avenue and Tobalaba and we went to buy some booze, if we weren't with my friend at the time, five dudes in a corner would have mugged us.

To answer you, there are some fucked up places to walk alone in Pudahuel, Cerro Navia, Quilicura, Conchalí, Maipú, La Pintana, San Bernardo, Santiago Centro (Had to escape a a robbery attempt there), Puente Alto, San Joaquin, La Granja, El Bosque, Quinta Normal and La Florida. But all of them are quite specific.

Chilean TV wants people to believe they live in the most dangerous place in the world, that crime is worst than in Gotham City and it isn't like that.

AFPs and the quality of education are a worse problem than crime.

While I agree with you on some problems being worse than crime (I'd add Public Healthcare), there are things like crime stats that shouldn be sweeped under the rug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbery#Robberies.2C_by_country

(Sorry for citing Wiki)

We're not Belgium but we're pretty up there

Don't think it's luck, there are areas inside the communes that are better than other, for example, i live in Puente Alto in a place you could say it's middle-upper class, unless i'm living surrounded by narcos all the nice houses and cars are from people with income higher than average.

But in puente alto you have areas like El Volcan and El Volcan 2, Bajos de Mena, Carol Urzúa and a lot more, the area limiting La Pintana is some shady shit, needless to say, La Pintana is also super shady.

I remember visiting some friends in Peñalolen some years ago, near Grecia avenue and Tobalaba and we went to buy some booze, if we weren't with my friend at the time, five dudes in a corner would have mugged us.

To answer you, there are some fucked up places to walk alone in Pudahuel, Cerro Navia, Quilicura, Conchalí, Maipú, La Pintana, San Bernardo, Santiago Centro (Had to escape a a robbery attempt there), Puente Alto, San Joaquin, La Granja, El Bosque, Quinta Normal and La Florida. But all of them are quite specific.

While I agree with you on some problems being worse than crime (I'd add Public Healthcare), there are things like crime stats that shouldn be sweeped under the rug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbery#Robberies.2C_by_country

(Sorry for citing Wiki)

We're not Belgium but we're pretty up there

That's an insane stat lol It's an specific type of robbery or everyone.gif ? If they are combining surprise robbery with other type, yeah, I would agree.

The next chart shows Murderly robbery, Chile isn't up there. It's weird considering the reportedly high rate for robbery.

In any case, crime is always an issue, But I don't think Chile is Gotham City like the TV and media says.

Well no doubt that if you fix the education and health care in this country, we all become a hell of a lot safer - crime and education/health care are all directly related. The wikipedia stats putting us only barely below Brazil in crime per 100.000 residents is kind of shocking - though I think a bit unfair because anyone who's been to Brazil and Chile would FEEL the difference between the two in terms of safety.

I sat on a bus in Rio and a dude walks onto the bus, pulls a knife, no one moved, he robbed a blonde girls $2000 DSLR camera and just walks away and off the bus. He didn't even run. No one even gave a shit. Almost felt like everyone on the bus, including the police (nowhere to be found) was in on it.

Chilevisión is the only channel preaching with that, the other channels are kinda OK

Dude, have you watched MEGA or Canal 13 ? I've been watching MEGA News just today, 30 minutes, only crime. One, nearly 10 minute, news was about how one neighborhood armed themselves and formed a civilian patrol because of fear. It was pretty much like The Simpsons and The Cat burglar.

Canal 13 is like that but with portonazos, and more political bullshit.

TVN is the most neutral in all of those aspects, and what a surprise, the lowest raitings.

That is why I never watch TV. It is either full of shitty celebrity gossip, bullshit with corrupt politicians, crime stories, or reality TV.

Although I admit my now ex-GF got me hooked on that Amor a Prueba last year. I only watched for the hot girls though. 👀

Edit: Off topic but a pet peeve of mine living in Santiago for two years - why the hell does garbage collection come at night? When everyone is trying to sleep and they make as much noise as possible? Every other country I've been and lived they do it during the day when everyone is at work! CTM!

FuuRe

That is why I never watch TV. It is either full of shitty celebrity gossip, bullshit with corrupt politicians, crime stories, or reality TV.

Although I admit my now ex-GF got me hooked on that Amor a Prueba last year. I only watched for the hot girls though. ��

Edit: Off topic but a pet peeve of mine living in Santiago for two years - why the hell does garbage collection come at night? When everyone is trying to sleep and they make as much noise as possible? Every other country I've been and lived they do it during the day when everyone is at work! CTM!

Every channel has it's own editorial line, today on Canal 13 there was Fragata Portuguesa, an report on citizen detentions, some bullshit about the guy who was administrator of the palace during the Dávalos stuff and then for half an hour Canal 13 usually does notes on tourist places, culinary reviews or that guy that travels around the globe that gets to know cool places from different cultures.

Not a single portonazo or robbery, you guys should give them a try, they're pretty great now.

And about garbage collction it varies from zone to zone, in my house they pass monday, wednesday and friday around 11am

Didn't know there was an OT :D

Here representing La Florida, 22 year old, Studying on PUC... Whatever.

I'm watching this shit about the exes on tv, so annoying.

Although I admit my now ex-GF got me hooked on that Amor a Prueba last year. I only watched for the hot girls though. 👀

If they do it during the day, they would collapse some streets, you know, Santiago is not a well planned city (or planned at all in fact lol)

Though as FuuRe says, it depends on the place. Santiago Centro does it during night because of that, and because it's at night when the stores throw their garbage.

Every channel has it's own editorial line, today on Canal 13 there was Fragata Portuguesa, an report on citizen detentions, some bullshit about the guy who was administrator of the palace during the Dávalos stuff and then for half an hour Canal 13 usually does notes on tourist places, culinary reviews or that guy that travels around the globe that gets to know cool places from different cultures.

Not a single portonazo or robbery, you guys should give them a try, they're pretty great now.

Cool that they did that today. Everytime I watch I feel they are trying to make me feel afraid of getting out of the house.

Anyway, I try not to watch too much TV News. It either makes me sick of hearing the same things over and over, or makes me too angry with corruption and depress of thinking that nothing will change. Everytime I watch that stuff can't help but have that shitty feeling that Piñera and Lagos will be our 2nd round for the election. Ugh.

Didn't know there was an OT :D

Here representing La Florida, 22 year old, Studying on PUC... Whatever.

I'm watching this shit about the exes on tv, so annoying.

Between Coocking shows, dancing shows, and bad copies of foreign Reality TV, I'm so glad I have Netflix lol

Speaking of La Florida and garbage, I work there, and my god was it awful when the garbage thing burned. Beign a breathing living species wasn't good that day.

If they do it during the day, they would collapse some streets, you know, Santiago is not a well planned city (or planned at all in fact lol)

Though as FuuRe says, it depends on the place. Santiago Centro does it during night because of that, and because it's at night when the stores throw their garbage.

Cool that they did that today. Everytime I watch I feel they are trying to make me feel afraid of getting out of the house.

Anyway, I try not to watch too much TV News. It either makes me sick of hearing the same things over and over, or makes me too angry with corruption and depress of thinking that nothing will change. Everytime I watch that stuff can't help but have that shitty feeling that Piñera and Lagos will be our 2nd round for the election. Ugh.

Between Coocking shows, dancing shows, and bad copies of foreign Reality TV, I'm so glad I have Netflix lol

Speaking of La Florida and garbage, I work there, and my god was it awful when the garbage thing burned. Beign a breathing living species wasn't good that day.

It was extremely gross. I really just locked up in my house and waited for it to pass, but dude, the stench was unbearable.

ChryZ

I recently bought blueberries from Chile, here in EU! They were amazing. It's crazy what a journey they had to undertake to land in my belly.

FuuRe

Today traffic was crazy with the blackout, luckily I didn't have to use the subway today.

(Currently on vacation, hehe)

Today traffic was crazy with the blackout, luckily I didn't have to use the subway today.

(Currently on vacation, hehe)

I was watching Better Call Saul on Netflix with my brother when we got a message from our family in another city asking us how we were doing with the blackout lol

If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have known.

Would ANYONE send me gomitas de eucalyptus?

Roro brand preaferably, but I'll settle for ambrosoli.

Where are you?

I love music, I really do... I work from home and I'm listening music like 24/7, and classical music is one of my fav genres and in particular I have a devotion to piano music. So... yes, Arrau is in constant rotation in my playlist (Chopin/Liszt/Beethoven, for example).

Reading your post I have to ask about the bolded part...

Is that true or only your opinion?

I know he is considered among the best of the best, but among top three? Not that it matters that much to me, but I'd like to read more about why is he so praised?

Care to elaborate? :)

FuuRe

Land of the Frei?? come on ChileGaf you can do better than that!
(no hueveen po wn)

It's a play of words, we are deep down in establishment no matter how they are currently sugar coating it (Nueva Mayoría, Evopoli, UDI "popular", Partido Comunista "por el pueblo" and whatnot)

About that, it peaked my curiosity

Are you an entrepreneur or have your own business by any chance?

Not exactly.

A friend of mine (a friend since 4° medio thru university) started an engineering company a year ago. He got in contact with me and asked me to join him, since it was too much to handle for a single person.

We work mostly for international mines (Canada, Australia, USA, Mexico) and only a little bit here in Chile.

So far so good. It's really nice to work from home (my previous work was at a mine and I was tired of the shiftings), but you have to be careful about how much you work cause it's easy to get absorbed in a problem and then realize it's 22:00 and you're still there in front of your computer.

I said at the beginning "not exactly" cause my friend is the owner, but he wants me to become Gerente de Operaciones when/if this take off.

There is a lot to do in order to grow more and have a staff of engineers.

Besides, right now the panorama is not very good:

Our incompetent president + China's weak economy = lots of pre-approved projects are being discarded or postponed for at least a year.

We'll see what happens, but for now, I'm very happy/grateful cause I'm doing what I love, in the process I'm learning a good amount of stuff, I'm being paid very well and on top of that, I work in short and sandals all the time hahaahaha :D

PS: Another great plus is that from time to time we need to travel to those countries that I mentioned to do what it's called commissioning, which basically means to do lot of testing on the systems that we engineered, to be sure they'll work as expected when energized.

Florida, USA.

Oh, my only problem helping you is that I absolutely have no idea how to send stuff out of the country lol

Wow... I can finally buy games without a 3rd party involved. I hope it lasts.

Yeah! I wish other companies do the same. MS, Sony and Nintendo all are pretty restrictive, while Steam is always moving forward.

Not him nor piñera please. We need new people.

I swear, second round of the elections will be Lagos and Piñera. And if that happens, I will put double effort on leaving the country

nin1000

Banned
Family from Chincolco came and are currently visiting us here in Germany.
They brought us 2 kilos of Paltas ( Avocado to some ) and damn, i almost forgot how fucking awesome chilean paltas taste :(. So creamy i am going to die.
Every evening we play carioca, which i love to play and gives me the feeling to be in chile aswell :p

Oh, my only problem helping you is that I absolutely have no idea how to send stuff out of the country lol

Yeah! I wish other companies do the same. MS, Sony and Nintendo all are pretty restrictive, while Steam is always moving forward.

I swear, second round of the elections will be Lagos and Piñera. And if that happens, I will put double effort on leaving the country

Piñera is going to win and you'll like it.

we are fucked

Family from Chincolco came and are currently visiting us here in Germany.
They brought us 2 kilos of Paltas ( Avocado to some ) and damn, i almost forgot how fucking awesome chilean paltas taste :(. So creamy i am going to die.
Every evening we play carioca, which i love to play and gives me the feeling to be in chile aswell :p
I found a box of really ripe paltas today abandonded on the street after a street market had ended. Fuck that. I took them home and ate them. I haven't died yet thankfully. I left santiago to work and live in Valparaiso now and it is one of those places that is great for a few days vacation but honestly it is exhausting and kind of shit to live in. I'm going to be in great shape walking up and down these cerros all day. But yeah the grungy hippy culture is already obnoxious to me.

Never saw this thread before. Hola weones!

I feel Humberto Maturana should be in the OP. Brilliant and very well known biologist.

I'm living in Sydney right now, and damn I miss the Chile sometimes. Especially going camping without the fear of seeing a killer snake around D:

Also, fuck spiders!

The007JiM

Haven't post in GAF since the FIFA World Cup and i've been away from internet for a long time.

Willing to help if someone needs info about different places of Chile. There's a lot to see in this feaking and lovely country.

I agree Humberto Maturana needs to be in the OP (he is a genius) also Alejandro Arevena (Pritzker prize of architecture) needs to be there too.

Saludos.

Never saw this thread before. Hola weones!

I feel Humberto Maturana should be in the OP. Brilliant and very well known biologist.

I'm living in Sydney right now, and damn I miss the Chile sometimes. Especially going camping without the fear of seeing a killer snake around D:

Also, fuck spiders!

Have you find some funnel web spiders? Those are nightmarish as fuck.

nin1000

Banned
I found a box of really ripe paltas today abandonded on the street after a street market had ended. Fuck that. I took them home and ate them. I haven't died yet thankfully. I left santiago to work and live in Valparaiso now and it is one of those places that is great for a few days vacation but honestly it is exhausting and kind of shit to live in. I'm going to be in great shape walking up and down these cerros all day. But yeah the grungy hippy culture is already obnoxious to me.

One of my cousins is currently living in valparaiso, I visited the cityast year since I remembered it as a very nice with a great view. But damn does the city stink. Like hot damn garbage everywhere! It was kind of sad to see the state the city was or still is currently :(. I love how it transformed into an art city sort of but goddammit the trash was everywhere! The saddest thing was that there are no trashcans to be found, so I get the mentality that the trash can be thrown on the ground. I loved the cats though and the view is still awesome. Damn those cerros though. Ctm my feet were burning after that day.

I lived for a year there and couldn't wait to get back to Santiasco. I don't know, Valparaíso is cool, but is hard to get used to live there.

What I loved was the weather. Clouds with the variation of cloudy, all year long.

Haven't post in GAF since the FIFA World Cup and i've been away from internet for a long time.

Willing to help if someone needs info about different places of Chile. There's a lot to see in this feaking and lovely country.

I agree Humberto Maturana needs to be in the OP (he is a genius) also Alejandro Arevena (Pritzker prize of architecture) needs to be there too.

Saludos.

Wena wn ! I agree with you, Alejandro Arevena should be added

Top Bottom