• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Thread 3: Indie Jones and the Template of Doom

The fuck happened here? There are locked threads everywhere and no Off-Topic. I still need help with developing games. I don't know if this thread will still be here in the morning.

JeffG

The fuck happened here? There are locked threads everywhere and no Off-Topic. I still need help with developing games. I don't know if this thread will still be here in the morning.

This thread should be safe.

The Mods will be playing whack a mole on accounts for a bit.

At some point it will calm down.

When the dust settles, who knows how many users will still be active.

I'm glad this thread is back. I wasn't really planning on making anything myself, but I enjoyed lurking and seeing the progress on the different projects.

LordRaptor

I don't know how things are going to settle here, but some thread regulars are at a new (temporary?) home

But fuck me, I really cant stand Web 2.0 Disqus style infinite scroll forums.

e:
But I also dislike alt-right scumbags and secret police of any persuasion, so I'm not burning any bridges just yet until things settle.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
The owner is a sexual predator. All hell broke lose. Going to miss this place.

There are threads available for voicing your opinions on that matter. I avoid them for a reason, would prefer not to have to deal with it here as well.

Would you happen to have a link to it or know someone who's on it?

Curious about this too

Yeah I would like to know this too. It would be cool to keep in touch with a variety of gaf-devs regardless of where they might end up.

Quote this post to see Discord link:

oxrock

Unity all the way. Unity gets so much crap but it's amazing.

Agree with this 100%. Unity gets crapped on because it has a lower skill requirement for entry and a lot of people start their game dev journey with it making not so great games as they learn the ropes. I love unity though, I think it's awesome. As far as developing an mmo goes, props to you for getting so far with it. That's a massive undertaking that I'd always dreamed of doing until I realized just how much work it would entail. It's just not an ideal project for me to tackle as a solo developer.

LordRaptor

Agree with this 100%. Unity gets crapped on because it has a lower skill requirement for entry and a lot of people start their game dev journey with it making not so great games as they learn the ropes. I love unity though, I think it's awesome. As far as developing an mmo goes, props to you for getting so far with it. That's a massive undertaking that I'd always dreamed of doing until I realized just how much work it would entail. It's just not an ideal project for me to tackle as a solo developer.

I think Unity also gets a ton of shit from console specific gamers, because they dont get how weirdly lopsided in design the PS4/X1 are.
Like... look at Broforce and go "Man, how the fuck can that run slowly on my machine that plays The Order 1886" as opposed to "oh, it has fully destructible levels in multiplayer?"

dude

dude
Sad to see this place die. Didn't share much of the stuff I was working on, never felt ready enough. But following you guys on here has been a pleasure.

Hope to see you on the other side when it launches.

Pixels

100%. If used by properly it's amazing. Thanks for your kind words. Hope your game is going well.

Wulfric

Good luck to everyone. Mostly lurked, but it was really inspiring to see these projects grow. A shame for it to end the way it has.

If someone can link/PM me to the Indie Dev Discord, I would be greatly appreciative.

-Wulfric

boswell22

As someone who has struggled with starting game dev in the past I always found inspiration in this thread. If there is a discord I'd love an invite.

long time luker here, I tried the waypoint forum but I don't like it...I like my pages!

Hope all the users that made the indie-dev thread great will come back.

oxrock

long time luker here, I tried the waypoint forum but I don't like it...I like my pages!

Hope all the users that made the indie-dev thread great will come back.

I don't know how great I make this thread, but myself and several others plan on sticking around. I share your hope that many who left decide to return. I'm also not a fan of the waypoint forum. I don't like pages that go on for eternity.

DemonNite

I'm glad that this is back online so that at least I can say Good luck to all on your projects. Shame that this place might not be around or with the same buzz

Moondrop

Banned
Thank you to all of the regular posters- you're an inspiration to all of us delusional dreamers tooling around with Unity/Unreal in our spare time.

LordRaptor

Low pressure GameJame coming up if anyones interested

2017 is almost over. It's been quite a stressful time for a lot of us, so let's take a week to work on something tiny for our own sake. There's no competition, no risk, and no pressure. You don't have to do anything big or shiny, just take a moment to get the satisfaction of making something that won't add undue stress on yourself.

You can make a game, write a poem, knit a sweater, draw a picture, compose a song, or do anything else that you would enjoy. It doesn't need to be about the state of the world, or something that makes the people that play it feel happy. This is just for you.

https://itch.io/jam/self-care-jam-2

I'm also not going to hang around here anymore, but I hope we can continue somewhere else. The Waypoint forum doesn't seem that usable to me so I'll just wait and see what happens - and if a promising alternate solution pops up, I'd appreciate an invite. :) In any case, thanks to all the regulars here. I've been busy trying to get a release done, but this thread has been in my daily rotation.

Minamu

I was afraid I wouldn't see this place ever again! I'll likely stick around, I wouldn't know where to turn for dev advice anyway.

On the lookout for a new off topic news source though.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
anyone know how I might hit up GAF curation on steam? I wanted to send the curator a steam key so he/she could try it out my soon to be release game. Also, how might one be featured on novembers indie game thread?

LordRaptor

anyone know how I might hit up GAF curation on steam? I wanted to send the curator a steam key so he/she could try it out my soon to be release game. Also, how might one be featured on novembers indie game thread?

Sorry man, can't be of any help - is there any contact info on the curators page?
This threads always been mostly unaffilated with the monthly indie game thread outside of I guess people from that thread lurked this one

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Sorry man, can't be of any help - is there any contact info on the curators page?
This threads always been mostly unaffilated with the monthly indie game thread outside of I guess people from that thread lurked this one

Balls. np. I'll poke around.

embalm

I'm also using Unity, so I'd really appreciate to be able to see an example, just to get started on how to work with it.
Since I posted status effects a page or so back, I'll use that for the example.

First you'll need a few serializable objects that match your json.
Code:
[System.Serializable]
	public class AllStatuses {
		public List<Status> statuses;
	}

[System.Serializable]
	public class Status
	{
//Change enums StatusTypes & RawStatusEffectTypes to ints
		public StatusTypes statusType;
		public int name;
		public int description;
		public List<RawStatusEffectTypes> rawStatusEffects;
	}

Then you'll need your json:
Code:
{
    "statuses": [
        {
            "statusType": 0,
            "name": "Defensive Stance",
            "description": "Protect yourself from the onslaught.",
            "rawStatusEffects": 
            [
            ]
        },
        {
            "statusType": 1,
            "name": "Counter Stance",
            "description": "Every hit taken will be returned to the attacker.",
            "rawStatusEffects": 
            [
            ]
        }
     ]
}

Last, we need the code to pull it together and access the data.

public TextAsset statusJson;

public Status GetStatusData(StatusTypes statusType)
{
AllStatuses allStatus = JsonUtility.FromJson<AllStatuses>(statusJson.text.ToString());

//Debug will ouput your raw json to make sure you read it correctly
//Debug.Log(JsonUtility.ToJson(allStatus));

Status status = new Status();

//getting a status by status type
Status query_status =
(from AS in allStatus.statuses
where AS.statusType.Equals(statusType)
select AS).FirstOrDefault();

status = (Status)query_status;

return status;
}

Make sure to add the json file to the project and to the public variable on the above script. After that you should be able to call the GetStatusData() function and see your json transformed into the object.

mabec

If thats available by now (I havent seen it announced yet but I remember translating it) it should be here by login in with your dev account https://partner.steamgames.com/

Edit: Agh Iam not sure about the above url, all I could find was this "Curator Connect allows you send your game directly to curators you choose on Steam. This will send a copy of your game that is immediately playable, regardless of the current release state. To begin, you can opt in to the Curator Connect program by clicking the Setup button."

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
If thats available by now (I havent seen it announced yet but I remember translating it) it should be here by login in with your dev account https://partner.steamgames.com/

Edit: Agh Iam not sure about the above url, all I could find was this "Curator Connect allows you send your game directly to curators you choose on Steam. This will send a copy of your game that is immediately playable, regardless of the current release state. To begin, you can opt in to the Curator Connect program by clicking the Setup button."

That sounds perfect, I'll check Curator Connect out. Thanks man!

Top Bottom