• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
GLOW has been such a breath of fresh air. Now, that's partly due to the writing, of course, but it also has a lot to do with the episodes being only 30 minutes long. You can easily get through a season in just a sitting or two without feeling like it took up your whole weekend.

GLOW is fabulously edited and paced, you finish each episode wanting more which is how it damn well should be.

Get on it people

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ack youre watching? Your complete absence from the OT made me think you skipped it.

With Netflix shows I prefer to watch as many episodes as possible before going into the multi-page OTs because it's hard to read through all the comments without having the proper context.

GLOW is fabulously edited and paced, you finish each episode wanting more which is how it damn well should be.

Get on it people

Agreed. It's one of the few Netflix shows to genuinely have good pacing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It also balances the comedy and drama really well. Also Marc Maron is amazing and I never heard of him, apparently he's some podcast guy?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It also balances the comedy and drama really well. Also Marc Maron is amazing and I never heard of him, apparently he's some podcast guy?
lol some podcast guy is a hilarious understatement because of how neurotic he is about his career.

I can't handle Maron because he's basically just "himself". It's like the character from his self-titled show travelled back in time or something. lol

ZeroX03

Banned
Agreed. It's one of the few Netflix shows to genuinely have good pacing.

There's strong, natural story progression throughout each episode, no meandering or rushing.

Yeah he's the biggest damn interview podcaster in the world. He had Obama come to his house to record when he was in office. His personality takes some getting used to though. Sam is basically who he used to be, a coked up asshole. Now he's a slightly more well adjusted sober asshole.

He's originally a standup who's done Conan like fifty times.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Sorry I didnt mean to demean the dude, I had just never seen him before :/

Maybe hes more of a US thing and not really international? Or maybe im just ignorant, its very possible.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Get on it people
Even though I want to watch more, I'm sticking to my new Netflix rule of not more than one episode per day.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sorry I didnt mean to demean the dude, I had just never seen him before :/

Maybe hes more of a US thing and not really international? Or maybe im just ignorant, its very possible.
No it's just funny because he's spent the last 10 years talking about how shit his career is every single week. lol

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Maron's real life bitterness and pettiness gives me life. He still brings up his failed SNL audition up on a regular basis. The audition happened 20 years ago. lol He's doing better now than the majority of SNL alums from that era.

99.9999% chance GLOW gets renewed for Season 2. Good reviews and lots of social media buzz. It's exactly the kind of impact Netflix desires. People will watch it this weekend, tell friends at work about it, then those people will watch it over the week.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I had to remind myself that Marc Maron's character wasn't Hank Azaria in makeup a few times so far.

AUqqbFr.jpg

Rhaknar

I want Stranger Things S2 to have reshoots just to have a scene where Glow plays in the background, or the kids are watching it :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There is no career achievement in the world that would make that man happy lol

Maron's real life bitterness and pettiness gives me life. He still brings up his failed SNL audition up on a regular basis. The audition happened 20 years ago. lol He's doing better now than the majority of SNL alums from that era.

99.9999% chance GLOW gets renewed for Season 2. Good reviews and lots of social media buzz. It's exactly the kind of impact Netflix desires. People will watch it this weekend, tell friends at work about it, then those people will watch it over the week.

Remember when it was reported that Maron was cancelled and he went off on a rant about how he CHOSE to end it and how reporters were terrible people who didn't do any fact checking? I mean, I understand because no one wants to have the "stain" of a cancelled show on their resume, but he was just so bitter and angry about the whole situation that it was just funny.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
World's least surprising Marc Maron story: My wife was in an elevator once. Marc Maron entered and let out a huge sigh. When his floor came up, he let out another sigh and said, apparently to himself, "Okay..." and left.

He's like half Woody Allen, half Eeyore.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't think that's true?

They're no longer the magical "Everything gets renewed and everything gets a proper ending because that's their model!" savior of TV that everybody and their brother thought they were for the past several years, that's for sure.

Girlboss wasn't bad at all just really inconsistent. Britt was too over the top at times but the character was one I would have watched more of.

Netflix wasn't messing around when they wanted a higher cancel rate.

ryseing

I'm down.

Pitch it as Batman meets Legion set in LA and since Ellis is already doing Netflix work bring him on as creative lead. Episodes would be mostly standalone with the only overarching storyline being Marc's mental health. Is Khonshu real? Or is he a hallucination brought on by a near death experience?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
World's least surprising Marc Maron story: My wife was in an elevator once. Marc Maron entered and let out a huge sigh. When his floor came up, he let out another sigh and said, apparently to himself, "Okay..." and left.

He's like half Woody Allen, half Eeyore.
I'm surprised that he didn't complain about the elevator giving your wife a better ride than the one he got.

They're no longer the magical "Everything gets renewed and everything gets a proper ending because that's their model!" savior of TV that everybody and their brother thought they were for the past several years, that's for sure.
Yeah, why would you trust anything that doesn't have a definitive ending on Netflix now.

Rhaknar

Ratsky gets me

berzeli

Banned
What's next on Netflix's cancellation block? Iron Fist? (maybe they can fold him into Luke Cage season two?) Flaked?
Flaked has to be fucked at this point. I was going to joke about how it has no reviews on MC and RT, but it actually has one (1) review on RT now.
I wouldn't be surprised that it actually has gotten cancelled and no one just haven't bothered to report it.

Aiii

So not worth it
Girlboss wasn't bad at all just really inconsistent. Britt was too over the top at times but the character was one I would have watched more of.

Netflix wasn't messing around when they wanted a higher cancel rate.

Really? The character was by far the most unlikable MC I have seen all year. They were claiming she was ”sassy"when in fact she was just a bitch that should be punched in the face at least twice every episode. She was even complete trash to people she just randomly met, like the guy she wanted to rent office space from. Why? Because she was ”sassy" you see.

Just terrible writing really.

Really? The character was by far the most unlikable MC I have seen all year. They were claiming she was “sassy”when in fact she was just a bitch that should be punched in the face at least twice every episode. She was even complete trash to people she just randomly met, like the guy she wanted to rent office space from. Why? Because she was “sassy” you see.

Just terrible writing really.
I think it was more of her sense of humor, there where a number of one liner's and quips that made me smile. Yeah the writing was really uneven, are we suppose to be rooting for someone acting like this or loving to hate this character? Her entire character arch was stuffed with filler episodes to I guess seem more likeable or relatable. It probably would have been better just to pick a lane and not try to justify or redeem this character's toxic personality. Just watch her spiral as her business booms.

There were storylines I really liked, the ebay seller guidelines, the wedding dress, the medical issue/goal but just as many that I didn't, naming the store, how she met her best friend, diner with dad.

I'm not surprised, I guess, considering how the quality bounces up and down. Netflix's new standard for greenlighting multiple seasons require you to nail it on the first try.

If I don't get GLOW season 2 after they somehow hit it out of the park with this one I'm singlehandedly taking down When Calls The Heart as revenge on this topic

abundant

If I don't get GLOW season 2 after they somehow hit it out of the park with this one I'm singlehandedly taking down When Calls The Heart as revenge on this topic

I'd be pretty surprised if GLOW didn't get a second season. It's basically 2017's Stranger Things in terms of new Netflix show that has gained a ton of positive buzz.

Yeah, Maron is unsurprisingly right up my alley which is why I've listened to all 800+ episodes of WTF. He makes me seem like a cheery optimist.

And that's awesome. They release way too many shows overall and a lot of them aren't any good. I'd love to see their internal numbers to see just how few people are watching some of them.

From the early reviews of Gypsy it seems like they even wasted Naomi Watts on a garbage show. I do like what I've seen of Glow so far.

J_Viper

Pitch it as Batman meets Legion set in LA and since Ellis is already doing Netflix work bring him on as creative lead. Episodes would be mostly standalone with the only overarching storyline being Marc's mental health. Is Khonshu real? Or is he a hallucination brought on by a near death experience?

Add Tim Olyphant as Spector, and you've got a stew goin'

Slayven

I just realized I knew about marron as a teen, dude has been around forever. I always thought of him as Richard Lewis's crazy little brother

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I wouldn't be shocked if Netflix started staggering releases. hour long dramas are not designed to be binged
I kind of hope they do to, they should be doing 12 episode seasons, release 3 or 4 groups of episodes at a time

GLOW has been such a breath of fresh air. Now, that's partly due to the writing, of course, but it also has a lot to do with the episodes being only 30 minutes long. You can easily get through a season in just a sitting or two without feeling like it took up your whole weekend.
This is pretty much the only reason I want to watch it. Plus the creator is Weeds and Orange is the New Black right?

I'd be pretty surprised if GLOW didn't get a second season. It's basically 2017's Stranger Things in terms of new Netflix show that has gained a ton of positive buzz.

This is surprising, didn't A Series of Unforunate Events do well, and 13 Reasons Why was incredibly more popular (although that might be more controversial buzz).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
And that's awesome. They release way too many shows overall and a lot of them aren't any good. I'd love to see their internal numbers to see just how few people are watching some of them.

Canceling shows isn't the problem - it's ending them prematurely and/or on a cliffhanger that's what doesn't make sense to me.

Busty

Banned
I watched the first episode of TNT's Claws and found myself enjoying it. It takes a little while to come together but it's different enough to get mentioned in dispatches. I'm in that middle ground where i'm not sure I'll make it a regular watch but I still liked it.

If you want to see Carla from Scrubs virtually unrecognisable as the
lesbian bodyguard
of Niecy Nash's character you should check it out.

Slayven

I watched the first episode of TNT's Claws and found myself enjoying it. It takes a little while to come together but it's different enough to get mentioned in dispatches. I'm in that middle ground where i'm not sure I'll make it a regular watch but I still liked it.

lesbian bodyguard
The second episode is better, the pilot they were too busy setting up everything

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

lesbian bodyguard

The second episode is better, the pilot they were too busy setting up everything

we gotta ot bros

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1386705

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
it would be somewhat difficult, although not impossible, to watch 65 hours of television in one day.

2 episodes at once at 1.5 speed plus you get a couple hours to sleep and shit at the same time.

It's the only way I watch television now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom