• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.
How else would one carry a baby? :p

I assume it's like any high level shape shifter deal. Plastic man doesn't change his DNA every time he shape shifts and neither does Ms Marvel I take it.

Their gems HAVE DnA and that DnA is in their bodies as well.

Also for the page topic ... I find it easier to just assume there is no big gov presence.

We know the Gems aren't organic from Pearls dialog in Fusion Cuisine. So unless they have some magic non-organic space DNA again I don't see how that's possible. I mean DNA is made up my from organic molecules. Hell If the Gems don't reproduce biological, why would their spices even NEED DNA? What information would they be passing down to what offspring?

Of course this is a cartoon about a magical race of alien rock people. So maybe I'm over thinking it. Lol.

Toxi

Banned
You're overthinking this whole DNA thing. We're talking about a kid whose dad is a washed-up rock star and whose mother is a magic space crystal.
I think it's ready now:

Changed some things around, added some entries, took away others, and maybe made some things more convoluted than they needed to be. Whatever, I'm satisfied with it (for now).
I'd remove the mention of Peridot, just for spoiler reasons; she's only introduced at the end of Warp Tour and there's no indication that other gems even exist up until Lapis appears.

Toxi

Banned
Surprised at all the hate for the Uncle Grandpa crossover. It's just eleven minutes and for all we know it could be pretty funny.

Also, here's a comic.

tumblr_nkr6h75iuV1rkx126o1_r2_500.jpg

tumblr_nkr6h75iuV1rkx126o2_r2_500.jpg

tumblr_nkr6h75iuV1rkx126o3_r2_500.jpg

tumblr_nkr6h75iuV1rkx126o4_r2_500.jpg

Now that things have calmed down a little after the Stevenbomb, here is my 4th guest comic for the Steven Universe comic from boomstudios! This one definitely has to be my favorite out of the guest comics I’ve drawn. I had a lot of fun with it from start to finish and I’m still thrilled I got to make an official comic featuring Opal!
http://gracekraft.tumblr.com/post/113827949388/opals-day-off-steven-universe-8-now-that

We know the Gems aren't organic from Pearls dialog in Fusion Cuisine. So unless they have some magic non-organic space DNA again I don't see how that's possible. I mean DNA is made up my from organic molecules. Hell If the Gems don't reproduce biological, why would their spices even NEED DNA? What information would they be passing down to what offspring?

Of course this is a cartoon about a magical race of alien rock people. So maybe I'm over thinking it. Lol.

They have Gem DNA, take from that what you will.

This is a pretty common thing in fiction. Transformers? They're living robots with "CNA". Sylvari in GW2 are a race of plant people who can't reproduce through sex and are made from one Tree. Even in our world things like Bacteria and Viruses (and theres still debate over if Viruses are "living" or not) don't reproduce like we do but have DNA. DNA is the "blueprint for life" ... gems are not organic but they are alive.

Given the lore in this show with gem fusion and magic weapons and gem corruption I really don't see how hard it is to handle Gem DNA :p

Avixph

Would it be possible for the people in the world of Steven Universe to create synthetic Gems just like people in our world can create synthetic diamonds?

So, question: Is it technically possible to kill a gem?

I mean, yes, you can destroy their physical form, but then they just retreat into their gem. You can even smash their gem but that isn't necessarily going to be the end since gem shards are still alive and still active. http://steven-universe.wikia.com/wiki/Gem_Shards

Something else worth noting is that the gem shards in Frybo
uh2WwvI.png
aren't anything like the Gem Shards in Secret Team.
FDtc9xZ.png
In Frybo the shards are of uniform color and required being placed into something. In Secret team the shards were of varying color and activated on their own, without being placed into a piece of clothing, uniform, or whatever. This implies that the gem shards in secret team are completely different from the gem shards in Frybo, and I think the gem shards in Secret team may have been the remnants of some gems who were smashed in the battle discussed in Rose's Scabbard.

This would also at least somewhat explain why Pearl went out of her way in secret team to take the gem shards from Garnet in the first place. They probably held some sort of personal value to her.

I'm also pretty confident that they're trying to figure out how to fix smashed gems.

Pearl said in too many birthdays that they can still be injured and die, they just can't die from aging. Also Rose said to Pearl that if they lose the war against the Gem home world, they would be killed.

Juni_

I guess when gems eat they create a digestive system inside of themselves which might be why Pearl finds eating so disgusting.

My partner is really into this, so I'm going to give it a shot. Is the first season going to get a Blu-ray release? Otherwise it seems the only way to watch it is buy episodes on Amazon.

Psxphile

My partner is really into this, so I'm going to give it a shot. Is the first season going to get a Blu-ray release? Otherwise it seems the only way to watch it is buy episodes on Amazon.

There's a DVD with about 6 or 7 episodes (the usual CN "let's just throw random eps on disc and push it out") but that's it. Now that Season 1 is (more or less) finished a season set is possible, they did it for Adventure Time and Regular Show. Maybe they'll have something available by the end of the year (if we're lucky).

Leonel

Neo Member
Surprised at all the hate for the Uncle Grandpa crossover. It's just eleven minutes and for all we know it could be pretty funny.

Wait, I assumed it'd be a half-hour special. How do you know it's just 11 minutes? I'm actually pretty stoked about the crossover, but this 11 minute news is kind of a bummer.

Raxus

Wait, I assumed it'd be a half-hour special. How do you know it's just 11 minutes? I'm actually pretty stoked about the crossover, but this 11 minute news is kind of a bummer.

They are used to airing ambitious stories in 11 minutes so I am not too worried. Season 2 minor spoilers ahead.
The episode is called Say, Uncle and it is currently slated to air in April.

Toxi

Banned
Neat detail I didn't notice: Lars still has Steven's Tiger Millionaire poster in later episodes.

bmvnhvL.png

I assumed 11 minutes because Steven Universe is 11 minutes per episode.

A lot can happen in 11 minutes; On the Run, Tiger Millionaire, and So Many Birthdays come to mind as episodes that did a lot in 11 minutes.

Hope the show's doing good over here.
The Powerpuff Girls are sick of Steven's shit.

Raxus

I assumed 11 minutes because Steven Universe is 11 minutes per episode.

A lot can happen in 11 minutes; On the Run, Tiger Millionaire, and So Many Birthdays come to mind as episodes that did a lot in 11 minutes.

Heck, Jail Break was 11 minutes and that was filled to the brim with content. Jail Break spoilers!
Garnet's origin, Jasper fight and song!, Malachite/Lapis fate, Peridot's escape.
Ocean Gem and Lion 3: Straight to Video were also packed to the gills with content as well.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh wow. So this show is good. Caught a few episodes way back when, didn't think much, but after all of the recent hubub I decided to give it a shot, and the development of this first season is basically perfect. All of the character evolution escalates with incredible pacing. I'm not quite to the end yet, just finished the episode where Steven fuses with Connie, which might be my favorite yet. The show's writers are so incredibly in touch with what they're trying to express

Also holy shit the episode with Lapis in the mirror is creepy. Remixing another characters soundbytes into speech is always creepy, and the laughter puts it over the top

legit surprised that you're surprised. Uncle Grandpa isn't funny, at all. I've seen like 8 episodes of the show just hoping that it would eventually click and I can't come up with 1 good thing to say about it. & its not even that its so focused on random shit cause the amazing world of gumball is also like that but its enjoyable & funny, even that new teen titans show has its moments(im still salty about its existence tho).

Raxus

Oh wow. So this show is good. Caught a few episodes way back when, didn't think much, but after all of the recent hubub I decided to give it a shot, and the development of this first season is basically perfect. All of the character evolution escalates with incredible pacing. I'm not quite to the end yet, just finished the episode where Steven fuses with Connie, which might be my favorite yet. The show's writers are so incredibly in touch with what they're trying to express

Also holy shit the episode with Lapis in the mirror is creepy. Remixing another characters soundbytes into speech is always creepy, and the laughter puts it over the top

Lapis' themes are great as well.

Let me out
I am Lapis Lazuli

Very foreboding. This series has great music.

Glad you are enjoying it how far are you? If you made it past the first half the second half is all gravy. Delicious, delicious gravy.

Toxi

Banned
legit surprised that you're surprised. Uncle Grandpa isn't funny, at all. I've seen like 8 episodes of the show just hoping that it would eventually click and I can't come up with 1 good thing to say about it. & its not even that its so focused on random shit cause the amazing world of gumball is also like that but its enjoyable & funny, even that new teen titans show has its moments(im still salty about its existence tho).
Even if you don't find Uncle Grandpa funny, there's nothing to say the crossover might not be funny; I'm assuming both shows' teams are working on it and the influence of both shows will be in it. And if it isn't, it's still just one 11 minute episode out of many.
Lapis' themes are great as well.

Let me out
I am Lapis Lazuli

Very foreboding. This series has great music.

Glad you are enjoying it how far are you? If you made it past the first half the second half is all gravy. Delicious, delicious gravy.
It's interesting how every character in the show has their own leitmotif. The fusions even often combine the individual leitmotifs.

Hamlet

Yeah I'm really hoping the show gets a Blu-ray release. Would buy it straight away.
Hopefully the wait isn't too long as Adventure Time didn't get a Blu-ray release till three years after the show had started.

All digital future's where it's at, though I would certainly double dip on a Blu-Ray release if it included some sweet bonus features and all the episodes in their proper order.

Also, is it just me, or has the past week given the fandom a shot in the arm? Seeing a lot more people posting fanart, gemsonas and shit in my other regular haunts.

Toxi

Banned
Also, is it just me, or has the past week given the fandom a shot in the arm? Seeing a lot more people posting fanart, gemsonas and shit in my other regular haunts.
The fandom exploded after The Return/Jailbreak. I think it was how the episode introduced three more Gems (four more if we include Malachite); Warp Tour also expanded the fandom.

Speaking of which, I really hope we see a return to the more mundane side of the show now that we're starting a new season. Episodes with crazy plot-related stuff are cool, but part of the reason they're so great is that they happen alongside low-key episodes like Beach Party.

Speaking of which, I really hope we see a return to the more mundane side of the show now that we're starting a new season. Episodes with crazy plot-related stuff are cool, but part of the reason they're so great is that they happen alongside low-key episodes like Beach Party.

Yeah, I don't see the show going too far into the more serious episodes dealing with the overarching plot for a while. I imagine we might get a few episodes like that sprinkled throughout, but I imagine that the creators realize that the more down-to-earth, character driven episodes are the shows bread and butter.

Also, I got bored and made a best episode poll for Season 1. Edit: Link to the results page.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
So glad to see the amazing finale is increasing buzz in this thread and for the show in general. It's definitely the best cartoon on the air right now (Gravity Falls could contest it if it had more than 3 episodes a year).

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I think its weird that the Government hasn't stepped in at all.

I actually love how this show doesn't get bogged down too much with what's going on outside of Beach City. In the Steven Universe we might not have large central "governments" anyway. I can't remember them ever mentioning nations in any form, America included. The world itself is littered with huge decaying monuments, battle sites, kindergardens... Doesn't seem like humanity is super organized here.

Also love how Steven doesn't go to school, which is great because that would just lead to too many boring played out storylines.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Shitty fan characters come with the territory, especially when you have a fictional species with a good hook like the gems, so yeah, you shouldn't be surprised. Though, if it makes you feel any better, the creators have already mocked this.

Anonymous asked: Should you still use currency if it's related to the Diamond Authority? The more you use them the stronger they get you know.

That’s why I use Bitcoin, my friend.

Holy shit this is amazing

rexor0717

KBCW is great, and the hobosona is the best thing to come from that blog. Can you even call KBCY 4th wall breaking? Its not like he acknowledges his cartoon existence, but the blog actually exists.

Even if you don't find Uncle Grandpa funny, there's nothing to say the crossover might not be funny; I'm assuming both shows' teams are working on it and the influence of both shows will be in it. And if it isn't, it's still just one 11 minute episode out of many.

I don't understand why you keep bringing that up. I'm simply saying that i highly expect it to be garbage cause theres nothing funny or interesting about uncle grandpa and its humor. it could be 1 minute, 1 hour or whatever, how long it is doesn't change my opinion that it most likely won't be enjoyable no matter how long or short it is.

like i said earlier tho, i do hope its good, like why wouldnt I? but realistically speaking, it most likely wont, seems like an odd crossover that was forced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom