• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Babylon 5

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
This is an ongoing rewatch thread with multiple contributing members. You're always welcome to hop aboard, even as a first-time viewer!

1abd5ee637caf62f6d78275a77fff5de.jpg

So a buddy of mine just started this 1990s cult classic for the first time. I figured it's been a while so I'd join him. And why not go full-GAF about it in the process? I figure it's a nice venue for posting thoughts as I rewatch the series, and maybe I can hook one or two new fans, or rekindle a love for the show with an old one.

What the heck is Babylon 5?
Well, firstly, let's take a look at what Wikipedia has to say.

Babylon 5 is an American science fiction television series created by writer and producer J. Michael Straczynski, under the Babylonian Productions label, in association with Straczynski's Synthetic Worlds Ltd. and Warner Bros. Domestic Television. After the successful airing of a test pilot movie on February 22, 1993, Babylon 5: The Gathering, in May 1993 Warner Brothers commissioned the series for production as part of its Prime Time Entertainment Network (PTEN).[1]

The first season premiered in the US on January 26, 1994, and the series ultimately ran for the intended five seasons. Describing it as having "always been conceived as, fundamentally, a five year story, a novel for television", Straczynski wrote 92 of the 110 episodes, and served as executive producer, along with Douglas Netter.[2]

hqdefault.jpg

A "novel for television" approach? In the 1990s?
Yep. Y'all have heard of Twin Peaks, right? Stupid question, it's 2017, the revival's on the air, of course you have. Babylon 5 was kind of the original Twin Peaks of space opera TV. Early on, the episodic-versus-serialized ratio is slimmer -- think X-Files standalone-versus-mythology, I guess -- but as the seasons roll by, that ratio tilts in favor of the ongoing plotlines. Of which there are several. The worldbuilding is superb, and multiple plot arcs come to a head, especially in the fourth season when original network PTEN was close to folding and JMS realized he needed to wrap things up fast. For my money, both as a wide-eyed child and a more seasoned adult, he does so with aplomb. (TNT then picked up the series for a fifth season, multiple TV movies, and an ultimately-botched spinoff called Crusade, making Season "5.0" pretty rough and episodic again before moving toward a great back half and a series finale so good AVClub wonders if it's the best in television.) Obviously, don't actually read that article if you want to remain unspoiled.

tumblr_mi1h8gtzZg1qh46qio2_500.gif

What's the pitch, in a nutshell?
Earth's still a relative newcomer to the intergalactic scene. We had ourselves a bit of a war with the Minbari, who very nearly wiped us out of existence but pulled back from the assault at the last minute for reasons unknown. In recent years, we've tried our luck at "the Babylon Project" -- a space station that'll act as neutral ground for humanity and several prominent alien races to talk things through and avoid further bloodshed. It... hasn't gone well. The first three Babylon stations were all sabotaged and destroyed. The fourth one seemingly blinked out of existence -- no one knows what the heck happened. As you might imagine, we begin our story toward the beginning days of the fifth.

At first, the show seems content to tell the story as I've just told you. But archaeological discoveries, rising tensions between races, mysterious benefactors, conspiracies back home on Earth, and characters pushed to the brink, will all come together to illustrate that the universe is much bigger than we think it is, and events are being orchestrated to throw us all into the fire.

What are the best aspects of this show?
Man, the worldbuilding is terrific. JMS tapped into certain Tolkien concepts, and it shows, but he does it with all his own flourishes and several distinctive alien races, a few of which are better-developed than most of what we see in the Star Trek franchise. (I'm a Niner 'til I drop and I <3 Cardassians and Bajorans, but seriously, the Minbari and the Centauri and the Narn on B5 are all good stuff.) The setting rocks, too. The titular station is well-realized, with neat this-isn't-quite-as-advanced-as-Trek beats like rollercoaster-looking harnesses while riding a commuter tram, and a rough-and-tumbling alien-outcasts sector reminiscent of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic's Taris Underdark. Best of all, though, is the successfully-told story. The narrative has some neat twists and turns along the way, including some very Mass Effect 1 moments. There's also the matter of the two alien ambassadors named Londo Mollari and G'Kar; their personal arcs are some of the best I've seen in any entertainment medium, but I'll say no more. Best to see it for yourself.

tumblr_nfh58iOucg1qh1g19o6_500.gif

You're hyping it to hell. Is it truly perfect television?
Heavens, no. It's rough around the edges, I'm not gonna lie. It isn't my favorite show, although it's up there. The pilot TV movie and much of the first season can be a trying experience, with cheesy moments galore and some very questionable acting. Even in the second and third seasons, this doesn't entirely go away, although it gets better every year. Don't get too attached to the early cast, because several of the characters in the TV movie aren't even in the show, which premiered almost a year later. And as I've previously mentioned, the first half of Season 5 is a real step down, too, but thankfully many of the core plot arcs are resolved by that point. It's also my personal opinion that Babylon 5 standalone episodes are almost never great, and only a few of them are truly good. It's the serialized stuff you'll want to stick around for, and I've known friends who have dropped it like a hot potato because of the earlier fare. Can't blame 'em. But it's a series that rewards patience tenfold.

babylon-5-obsada.jpg

Just a few of the sprawling cast of characters:

• John Sheridan is a military commander with a heck of a conscience and a drive to do what's right without sacrificing what makes us great. He's one of the main characters, and arguably its principle protagonist.
    s4sheridan22-300x230.jpg

• Delenn of Mir is a Minbari ambassador who knows far more than she lets on and experiences some genuine transformational moments. While her true allegiances remain shrouded in mystery early on, she seems to possess a commitment to the truth.
    c631b0049074cf3b67137072ce1801df.jpg

• Susan Ivanova is played by a woman whose voice you've probably heard if you've ever played Skyrim. In Babylon 5, she's a no-nonsense Russian rising star within the military, and a cynic through and through. She's great.
    C4QOkdOWYAAhIU-.jpg

• Michael Garibaldi is the station's security chief. He's suffered from addictions in the past and retains some of that darker side of living, but he's also got a love for Looney Tunes and Italian cooking. When I was a kid, I thought he was Bruce Willis.
    ee05f9ffe597e3472a8cff148619db99.jpg

• Jeffrey Sinclair is the initial commander of Babylon 5. When the show begins, you'll be seeing a lot of him. As the Minbari eloquently put it, "there's a hole in your mind" -- he's missing 24 hours of memory from the climax of the Earth-Minbari War. Weird, eh?

• Londo Mollari is a member of the Centauri race and another ambassador aboard the station. The Centauri are kind of a "fallen Roman Empire" style of race, and Londo's no exception. He dreams of bygone imperial grandeur, but he's been tossed to the wolves by his superiors, sent to the dead-end job on Babylon 5.
    235832.jpg

• G'Kar is the Narn ambassador to Babylon 5, a cunning and at times downright conniving fellow with an elegant outlook on life. His journey is a sight to behold, so there's really not much I can say. Trust that he's well-acted and well-realized.
    006-Babylon4.jpg

• Stephen Franklin is the Chief Medical Officer aboard the station. His commitment to the common good is unquestionable, but the realities of the world he lives in will bring him to some dark places.
    Richard%2BBiggs.jpg

• Marcus Cole is a Ranger, and you can probably replace that word with "Night's Watchman" or replace his name with "Aragorn" and either way you'll arrive at the same conclusion. He's one of my favorites, although he's a bit of a late joiner. He knows how to hurt people with a metal stick, too.
    755837110-tumblr_m5f7tqrGsd1rypl8zo1_1280.jpg

• Lyta Alexander is a telepath and a registered member of Psi Corps. EarthGov has authorized the use of telepaths in matters of business and military, but you can bet there are plenty of people out there who aren't happy about that.
    B5-lyta-alexander-300.jpg

• Alfred Bester is a high-ranking PsiCorp operative played by the legendary Walter Koenig. Need I say more? I probably should, actually, because the Bester character is full of so many delicious shades of grey that it's hard for me to see the actor as Pavel Chekov. Koenig himself seems to have enjoyed the role more, as he talks about it more, and for good reason.
    cadfab57.jpg

• Talia Winters is, like Lyta, a telepath and registered member of Psi Corps. She stands at-odds with Susan Ivanova, whose past has ties to the Corps. Talia doesn't necessarily agree with the way her employers handle every situation.
    TaliaWinters.jpg

• Lennier comes aboard the station as a new aide to Ambassador Delenn. He has a pure heart, and a love of history. He is fascinated by other cultures, but maintains a steely resolve toward traditional Minbari practices.
    preview_bill_mumy.jpg

• Vir serves as aide to Ambassador Londo Mollari. While at first he seems little more than a bumbling young oaf, Vir develops into an unmistakable heart of the show as the seasons progress.
    Wave_like_this.jpg

• Kosh is a mystery wrapped in enigma, and about as alien as you can get. He's the final of the five ambassadors to the station, and his people -- the Vorlons -- are key to many of the mysteries within the mythology. What you're seeing in his thumbnail isn't really him; it's a weird environmental suit, because there ain't no way the Vorlons are gonna let us see them for who they really are.
    b7b8b63ec710a9f94018c7b517d8db8b.jpg

There are many more characters, including a nice (albeit spoilery) list of villains, but hopefully this is a passable primer. Now I've spent more than enough time on the basics, and I've gone ahead and dived into "The Gathering" TV pilot movie, so in my next post I'll formally commence the rewatch analysis!

aravuus

Aw hell yeah, I loved the first three seasons. I don't think I ever got around to watching season 4 for some reason, though. I should definitely rewatch it.

Season 5 I can pretty much just... Skip, right?

rakhir

One of my favourite shows. It's worth to suffer through the rough episodes, because the payoff is the best sci-fi in television.

Edit: Season 5 is ok. It's a let down after 3 and 4, but it still has its moments. Last episode of s5 is a must watch, though, even if you skip the rest.

Best sci-fi show ever for me. Even throw away lines and stories tie into the greater narrative. If you want an example of solid writing and world building, you could do worse. Mass Effect in particular borrows quite a few elements from it (and B5 borrows from Tolkien).

B5 is my favorite science fiction show ever and has many of my favorite television/fictional characters in it. Londo's arc is magnificent.

antibolo

Banned
Babylon 5 is a goddamn masterpiece. Its biggest strength is that it was almost entirely written by its showrunner who had already built a plan of the major plot lines from day one, so it has a consistency that most other TV shows don't have because they are realized on a season to season basis by the writing staff.

Easily beats T:NG as the premier sci-fi show of the 90s. A shame it never really got the praise then that it should have, you could have had a whole universe to explore with shows.

Also, G'Kar is a pimp and anyone who says otherwise can go suck on a Mimbari dick.

Shiloa

I watched it through for the first time about 3 years ago.

Was absolutely blown away by how good it was.

Season 1 is kind of crummy, but the payoff for sticking is superb. No TV series has weaved a story like B5 did. So many plot threads, all thought out and interlocking, intersecting and clashing at points.

Seasons 2-4 are just brilliant television.

One day it will be revived!

Vlad

Aw hell yeah, I loved the first three seasons. I don't think I ever got around to watching season 4 for some reason, though. I should definitely rewatch it.

I wouldn't recommend skipping S5 at all. Sure, it's not anywhere near as good as 3-4, but it still is worth watching, if only to finish the story up. The first half is definitely the weakest, but it really picks up with the last half.

Not only that, but the last episode is definitely something you don't want to skip. It was actually originally filmed as the S4 finale, since they originally thought that the show was going to end at S4. So, not only was a finale filmed, but the plot that they were planning on having run through S4 and S5 was condensed into just S4. At the last minute, though, they were told that they'd have a S5 after all (I believe another network picked them up), so the S4 finale got moved to the end of S5, a new S4 finale was written and filmed (it's a divisive episode, but I rather like it), and they had to come up with a whole new plot to fill all of S5 with.

So, if you're watching S5 and wonder why the plot seems so much more thrown together than the rest of the series, there you go.

Mindlog

I enjoy all the characters named, but as time passes my appreciation grows for;
Zy6A9Nl.jpg

Neroon is a member of the Minbari warrior caste with no time for guff or the abiding of fools. This includes the 50,000 or so humans he claims to have killed in the Earth-Minbari war. That kind of kill count imparts an inertia.

I have very fond memories of watching seasons 2,3, and 4 when they aired. Never did get around to the final season, but hearing that it ended strong might make me check it out. Lately I have been watching a LOT of Star Trek (Voyager and....Enterprise) on Netflix so I might have to watch some of this to switch things up. I probably forget 95% of events that happened so it will be rather fresh.

B5 is so good. I never got around to going through season 5, although I got my wife to start watching and we got through the first season together. One of these days we're gonna sit down and watch the rest of it, and when we do, I'll push through past the season 5 premiere and actually get through all of season 5.

antibolo

Banned
Season 5 is basically all the B-plots that couldn't fit into S4 because the intended S4 and S5 arcs had to be compressed into a single season.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
6a00d8341d6d8d53ef01a511f62d46970c-600wi

Thanks to DailyMotion, the 1998 edit of "The Gathering" is now freely available. This is a blessing, because it helps with the roughness of this old pilot TV movie. It's still got some real wrinkles, but the removed footage has largely been replaced with superior stock. This is no fan edit, either -- it's got history. Cable network TNT history, to be precise. Let's start with another Wikipedia quote:

There are two versions of The Gathering. The original version was a TV movie aired in 1993 on the Prime Time Entertainment Network as a pilot for the series. After a four-year run on PTEN, Babylon 5 moved to Turner Network Television (TNT) for its fifth and final season in 1998. Series creator and executive producer J. Michael Straczynski supervised a special edition of Babylon 5: The Gathering',' which aired on TNT immediately following the new TV movie, Babylon 5: In the Beginning. Scenes were edited to move at a faster pace, allowing the restoration of 14 minutes of footage adding exposition and character development.[1] Among the notable additions is a prophetic line spoken by Kosh when he first meets Sinclair. Lost in the special edition is a trip through the station's alien sector that some viewers felt looked too much like a zoo. The original music, composed by Stewart Copeland, is also replaced with a score by Christopher Franke, who composed music for the rest of the series, played by the Berliner Symphoniker.

If you ever hop into B5, do yourself a favor and hunt down that edit. Speaking from experience, this is a step up in every way. The "alien zoo" sequence was bad, much of Takashima's performance woes gets covered up, the new character development is beneficial, and the package really sells itself as a proper pilot now.

The basic premise to "The Gathering" is that Babylon 5 has been semi-operational for a few months now, with Jeffrey Sinclair as the ranking Earthforce official in charge of the whole shebang. The final ambassador, Kosh, is scheduled for arrival. Once he's gotten his meet-and-greet, the station is in full working order and can begin its mission. Unfortunately, some saboteurs get the idea that assassinating Kosh will bring Vorlon wrath down upon humanity, and they're almost proven correct. What follows is a race to clear suspicions before that happens.

The plot here isn't great, but it's serviceable, and the actors are even less comfortable in their roles than in early Season 1. A few of them won't even make it to the first regular episode, but the show tidies things up reasonably well and this is a crucial chapter in the mythology. What works here is the worldbuilding. JMS' script manages to establish all sorts of vital elements without completely falling apart in the process. There are some clunky lines and wooden deliveries, but that's part-and-parcel with the series, especiallye early on. But I was really impressed with how organically the different alien races and Earth's present galactic standing are all established. "The Gathering" also gives us a decent feel for who some of these characters are, and seeds a cool mystery surrounding Sinclair.

Eventually, Delenn will become one of the best characters. Here, though, it's obvious neither Straczynski nor Furlan quite know what to do with her just yet. But credit where credit is due: if Furlan was told to "act alien", she nails that part. Delenn's got some strange mannerisms going on here, lol.

All told, "The Gathering" has benefited enough from the '98 edit's internet availability that I'm less worried about telling folks to start with it than I was the last time I took a trip through the saga. You aren't going to come away thinking it's the Second Coming, but if you can believe that things get better, there's plenty to like.

Oh geez, you absolutely should! There's a lot of division in the fandom on whether 3 or 4 is better, but I'm totally #Team4. It's the climax to the story and there's plenty of greatness in there. You should definitely rewatch sometime. :D

TheYanger

No, you really can't.

Season 4 was condensed to the major plot points due to the fear of not getting a fifth season, but it doesn't actually wrap everything up. Season 5 is just a lot more airy early on than season 4 in particular, so it feels filler-y to start but it's still pretty important and contains a lot of resolutions to the plotlines that couldn't be included in season 4.
Vague spoilers about what is included in season 5 that wasn't in season 4:
The early parts of season 5 deal heavily with the fallout of telepaths and their freedoms or lack thereof, the sort of downward trend of Centauri Prime that had been alluded to and shown several times throughout the series, the Drakh influence without the shadows, the formation and early days of the interstellar alliance, and all of the baggage Garibaldi has for his role in season 4

Either way, the series finale is VERY important, it was filmed during season 4 and held on to once they found out they were getting a fifth season. It's seriously amazing and touching, B5 and DS9 have by far the most satisfying finales of any series ever to me.

Elandyll

Banned
Love the show, even if like the OP mentions the pilot is very rough, season 1 is something you have to go through, while the show only really becomes great in late season 3 and throughout season 4, before taking a stumble in s5...

If you keep count that's about 1.5 really good seasons out of 5, but it's not the way it works here.
The show as a whole is more than the sum of its seasons, and by the end of season 2 you really start getting attached, as almost every single episode builds a world and events that will pay off majorly down the road.

Is there a way to watch the show in HD? Or at all, online?

My favorite Sci-Fi show of all time as well. The things that happen in this damn beautiful show. Wow. You've gotta stick with it though for the pay-offs. World building and characterization the TV show.

I've been slowly re-watching for a good while now by following along with Lorerunner's intelligent and nuanced rumination series. Lorerunners Youtube channel

Sad that Sense8 was cancelled (I'm gutted)? Then JMS the writer of that is the main man behind this, and this only nearly got cancelled!

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

So this is actually something I'm considering editing into the opening post. go90, Verizon's largely failed attempt to gain headway into the streaming space, now has the rights to all five seasons of Babylon 5. It's big news -- big enough that numerous sites reported on it at the time. B5's been unavailable online for a long time here in the States, and options have been spotty throughout much of the rest of the world as well.

As for the TV movies, "The Gathering" has the much-improved 1998 edit available on DailyMotion. I haven't looked to see if the other TV movies are on there, but hopefully they are.

I've consistently avoided randomly calling out "green drazi" b/c I don't wanna fight you >_>

LOL. Yes.

aravuus

I wouldn't recommend skipping S5 at all. Sure, it's not anywhere near as good as 3-4, but it still is worth watching, if only to finish the story up. The first half is definitely the weakest, but it really picks up with the last half.

Not only that, but the last episode is definitely something you don't want to skip. It was actually originally filmed as the S4 finale, since they originally thought that the show was going to end at S4. So, not only was a finale filmed, but the plot that they were planning on having run through S4 and S5 was condensed into just S4. At the last minute, though, they were told that they'd have a S5 after all (I believe another network picked them up), so the S4 finale got moved to the end of S5, a new S4 finale was written and filmed (it's a divisive episode, but I rather like it), and they had to come up with a whole new plot to fill all of S5 with.

So, if you're watching S5 and wonder why the plot seems so much more thrown together than the rest of the series, there you go.

No, you really can't.

Season 4 was condensed to the major plot points due to the fear of not getting a fifth season, but it doesn't actually wrap everything up. Season 5 is just a lot more airy early on than season 4 in particular, so it feels filler-y to start but it's still pretty important and contains a lot of resolutions to the plotlines that couldn't be included in season 4.

Either way, the series finale is VERY important, it was filmed during season 4 and held on to once they found out they were getting a fifth season. It's seriously amazing and touching, B5 and DS9 have by far the most satisfying finales of any series ever to me.

Right, right, gotcha, don't skip season 5 lol.

I'm on vacation for most of July with nothing aside from finishing P5 and playing FF XII planned, should be able to squeeze in a rewatch of at least the first couple of seasons there.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You've seen the two best IMO. :p

I mean, just look at my avatar + sig! <_<;

And you are absolutely right (though I'd personally make it a trio with TNG, all have their distinct strengths and weaknesses).

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
We'll be diving into "Midnight on the Firing Line", the first regular episode, either tonight or tomorrow, btw. :D

Not much else to say except thanks for another B5 thread!!! My favorite show STILL to this date. Don't think that'll ever change.

BABYLON 5!

I mean it's OK though...

As others have said, don't skip season 5. Yes, it starts slow and has a few weak episodes, but the final five or six or excellent, with the last few standing out as some of the best in the series. The final show may be the best series finale I've ever seen.

Someone for the love of God put this on Netflix.

Agreed! I wish it would return too. The show is so great.

greatest show

Babylon 5 is a goddamn masterpiece. Its biggest strength is that it was almost entirely written by its showrunner who had already built a plan of the major plot lines from day one, so it has a consistency that most other TV shows don't have because they are realized on a season to season basis by the writing staff.

yeah. the only other shows that manage to have an actual planned story seem to be very short.

Creator and showrunner J. Michael Straczynski wrote 92 of the 110 episodes of Babylon 5, including all 44 episodes in the third and fourth seasons

this is how TV should be made

when someone actually writes and plans a story, even if everything else is of average quality, the result will exceed whatever else is on TV

antibolo

Banned

Unfortunately no HD remaster was ever done, and the DVD version is actually worse than SD, due to the half-assed way they handled special effect scenes.

Quick explanation:

The show was originally broadcast in 4:3, but was framed in a "future proof" fashion so that it would be possible to remaster in 16:9 later. Later on when they did the DVD remaster, they still had the 35mm film masters, HOWEVER all they had left of the special effects shots were the tape broadcast masters. Remaking all special effects would have been too expensive, but for some reason they REALLY wanted to make the original 16:9 vision come true, so they did something really questionable: all shots without special effects were remastered from the 35mm source, so they look great, while all special effects shots are 16:9 crops from the broadcasts masters, so they look awful because of the resolution loss and incorrect framing.

The end result is that the show looks great most of the time, but then whenever special effects appear on screen, suddenly the picture becomes super blurry and badly cropped.

It's actually hilarious once you realize it, because then you can guess whenever something will happen on screen a few seconds beforehand, because the picture turns to shit.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Unfortunately no HD remaster was ever done, and the DVD version is actually worse than SD, due to the half-assed way they handled special effect scenes.

Quick explanation:

The show was originally broadcast in 4:3, but was framed in a "future proof" fashion so that it would be possible to remaster in 16:9 later. Later on when they did the DVD remaster, they still had the 35mm film masters, HOWEVER all they had left of the special effects shots were the tape broadcast masters. Remaking all special effects would have been too expensive, but for some reason they REALLY wanted to make the original 16:9 vision come true, so they did something really questionable: all shots without special effects were remastered from the 35mm source, so they look great, while all special effects shots are 16:9 crops from the broadcasts masters, so they look awful.

The end result is that the show looks great most of the time, but then whenever special effects appear on screen, suddenly the picture becomes super blurry and badly cropped.

It's actually hilarious once you realize it, because then you can guess whenever something will happen on screen a few seconds beforehand, because the picture turns to shit.

Yep ridiculously stupid choices, but still the best show ever made and its not even close. B5 is sooooo far ahead of the 2nd place its insane.

Lanf

"Our last, best hope for peace/victory" B5 was and is brilliant, top 3 space opera material for me. The worldbuilding, the atmosphere, the characters...

If you're doing a rewatch, check out http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/

It's this, very 90's style, Wiki site with analysis, JMS commentary and much more on every episode. Very informative, and entertaining.

I used to do a rewatch every year and often still discovered new things. Hints and events that seem insignificant at first and suddenly get referenced a season later. The 5 year planned arc was truly a cornerstone of it's greatness. It's like television should be, unfortunately we don't often get it.

Mugsy

It is an amazing show that creates a full and lived in world. By the end of it you feel like you are watching momentous events in history.

Note for anyone starting the show, yes the first season is bad (Better than TNG season 1 though) but you do have to slog through it. There is a lot of set up, character building, and world building in that season that makes it worth it in the end.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
"Our last, best hope for peace/victory" B5 was and is brilliant, top 3 space opera material for me. The worldbuilding, the atmosphere, the characters...

If you're doing a rewatch, check out http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/

It's this, very 90's style, Wiki site with analysis, JMS commentary and much more on every episode. Very informative, and entertaining.

I used to do a rewatch every year and often still discovered new things. Hints and events that seem insignificant at first and suddenly get referenced a season later. The 5 year planned arc was truly a cornerstone of it's greatness. It's like television should be, unfortunately we don't often get it.

Yup! Midwinter is fantastic and I second this recommendation.

Shoeless

It was a miracle this show got made and actually got to see its story told from beginning to end. There will probably never be anything like it again.

It's too bad about the state of the production assets. I'd love to have this in Blu-Ray, but yeah... that's probably not possible, unless some angel investor donates a ton to redo the CG sequences entirely.

antibolo

Banned
It was a miracle this show got made and actually got to see its story told from beginning to end. There will probably never be anything like it again.

It's too bad about the state of the production assets. I'd love to have this in Blu-Ray, but yeah... that's probably not possible, unless some angel investor donates a ton to redo the CG sequences entirely.

That angel investor also needs to remaster DS9 next.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yeah, hence the existence of the three novel trilogies. I've heard good things about them and I intend to read them for the first time this go-around, so I'm actually pretty excited about that, too!

flyover

Yeah, hence the existence of the three novel trilogies. I've heard good things about them and I intend to read them for the first time this go-around, so I'm actually pretty excited about that, too!

Cool! Peter David's Legions of Fire trilogy--which is a direct continuation of the show after its last Centauri Prime episode--is actually really good. I never had any use for any of the movies (though more power to those who did). But I was surprised how much I enjoyed those books.

Just saw this for the first time about a year ago and fell in love. Londo and G'kar are two of the best characters in sci-fi. Hell Londo has one of the best arcs in television history

infi

I loved how even characters you think of as minor, such as Vir get a lot of development.

The three trilogies are pretty good and expand some parts of the show.

The Centauri Trilogy shows what happened to the Centauri after the war and details more about Vir and Londo on Centauri Prime. This trilogy finishes a lot of the unfinished plot lines from the show.

The Technomage trilogy explains Technomage technology and society. The main character is Galen from The Crusade series.

The Psi Corp Trilogy as you'd expect expands on the Psi Corp and expands a lot more on Bester.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Sounds good. Of those three, I'm probably the least interested in the ones with Galen, but that's largely because Crusade didn't get very far. If there's ever a Babylon 5 remake project, I think we can all agree it'd be nice to have fewer spinoff prospect plot threads dangling in Season 5, but the Crusade one hurts the most. The other fare getting consigned to books hits me less, especially since the main arc of the show is resolved beautifully in the show itself. Crusade just...

...fair warning, I don't know if I'll be able to watch A Call to Arms this time around, haha. I'll try, it's just, I remember it being decent! Really decent! And then unresolved! >_>

I also started watching B5. I'm not rewatching though, I'm a first-timer. I keep having trouble with the go90 app, it quits streaming in the middle of episodes, so I tend to give up when that happens and watch some netflix instead.

So far I think I've watched 4 episodes, but I don't have their names in my head or anything. Want to watch together Jeff?

Top Bottom