• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Gotham-Yo why didn't anyone tell me this show was raw

So I came into the show with skepticism. The opening of showing catgirl stealing made me cringe. I thought 'oh it's one of those shows'. Then it's like, 'Here's the Riddler, Ivy, Penguin, we've already got the whole rogue gallery'.

But the actualy SHOW is good. It being like a serialized show is gooood. Gordons character is good. The anachronistic elements like cellphones and what not, sure, I can deal with that, it's supposed to be another universe. But it's pretttty good. Not to mention it's like, a police procedural, not to mention the scenery is great. The main character is a bit cliched, but Ryan Atwood plays it straight(Sorry I only know him from the OC) to where he's instantly likable.

And the whole Selena Kyle being a part of the show? Sure, I can dig that. Her character is instantly interesting. Bruce is getting some characterization, albeit slowly, but it's good enough.

It's an interesting show. A show set in Gotham, setting up the Batman architecture, without being about Batman himself.

munchie64

I've been saying it's the best superhero show but nobody listens. Season 3 is insane and has some powerful moments for Batman fans.

I dunno, I kinda dig Penguins cheesy acting. It's fantastic.

I can believe that. The procedural stuff is interesting enough @_@

The procedural stuff kind of goes away after season 1, but it's for the better. It sounds like you're still early. Season 2 is drastically different and amazing.

Mariolee

Stopped in the middle of S2 when Morena Baccarin left the city. Enjoyed it up to then, just never got back into it.

I feel like a weirdo whenever anyone discusses the show, because I thought it started really strong and got weaker and weaker as time went on. It started as a show about Gotham City, reflecting the name, following numerous people who had impact on the city, but as the series went on, it just became a Batman show without Batman. Their insistence on introducing every single Batman villain annoys me to no end.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Its the best superhero show on tv. Some of the same people who hate on Gotham watch hot garbage like Arrow and Supergirl and actually like it. Bad taste is real.

Kuro

Season 1 was boring show got better when it jumped the shark near the end. Season 2 was great. Season 3 starts off amazing but then falls apart around the second half and now I'm not sure I want to go back.

Edit: Forgot to mention the show's handling of mental illness is disgusting

That's a shame. Yeah, I'm 5 episodes in the 1st season but it's legitimately been enjoyable.

You think it's bad, but I think by the time you see how Season 2 unfolds and some of the things they introduce, you'll welcome the change. Also, the first season really is all about how fun it is to watch The Penguin manipulate things, but that'll also change in Season 2 as well as the world gets bigger. I'll be curious of what you think of Season 2 when you get there.

Bleepey

I loved season 1, season 2 I didn't hate but i didn't finish. I need to get to the rest of it. But my watchlist is too damn long

You think it's bad, but I think by the time you see how Season 2 unfolds and some of the things they introduce, you'll welcome the change. Also, the first season really is all about how fun it is to watch The Penguin manipulate things, but that'll also change in Season 2 as well as the world gets bigger. I'll be curious of what you think of Season 2 when you get there.

I'll have to update my thoughts on it once i finish up the first season and head into the 2nd~ The intrigue between the mob wanting Arkham and all the forces around it is interesting.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just started watching this in Netflix, in the middle of S1 currently, and I'm sort of surprisingly enjoying it. It is constantly in a tonal war shifting between outright silliness and seriousness, the rogues such as Riddler and Penguin just come off as far too outlandish even before they take on their respective personas, but I suppose that is the point.

Gordon is a great central pillar and just as grounded and principled as the character should be. Given everything surrounding him is pure cartoonish lunacy, its important for him to hold it together for the audiences'(or my) sake. The sets and aesthetics are probably the best aspect, just a real great looking show, the set designers and dressers deserve their due credit.

Just unsure how a rookie detective can afford the insane penthouse apartment that Gordon is living with Barbara. Also Barbara does what exactly? Also wasn't Barbara his daughter's name?

I don't watch any of the other superhero serial shows(Arrow, SHIELD, etc...) and just tried this out of curiosity, but its kept me engaged so far.

Abylim

It's shit.

Gordon get black mailed for wrongfully shooting a guy in the first few eps.... but like, the dude was going to kill him, so it was self defence?

The ham fisted introductions to all the villains is grating. Penguin comes off as a Mary Sue that just somehow knows and does things, rather than someone who actually seems like he's in the know. Jada Smiths character is just garbage.

As a massive batman fan, the show was a disappointment. Finished season 1 and never went further

Consistently shit..agreed.

Gordon pls

It's shit.

Gordon get black mailed for wrongfully shooting a guy in the first few eps.... but like, the dude was going to kill him, so it was self defence?

The ham fisted introductions to all the villains is grating. Penguin comes off as a Mary Sue that just somehow knows and does things, rather than someone who actually seems like he's in the know. Jada Smiths character is just garbage.

As a massive batman fan, the show was a disappointment. Finished season 1 and never went further

S2 completely changes up a ton of stuff, starting with Fish basically vanishing. I'd recommend giving it another shot.

Baleoce

Brilliant show. Love the characters, love the cheese. Love it's depiction of gotham. Sceptical of where it's headed next season but hopefully it keeps it up.

It's definitely really entertaining and that's all I need from it.

Like others have said, season 1 was pretty rough until the end and season 2 steps it up in a good way.

Season 3 was overall good but had some issues. The finale was great though and left me excited to see what happens in season 4.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
When the show started to embrace it's batshit craziness it got really good. The further it got from realism the more I enjoyed it.

Season 1 had a killer soundtrack and then they sorta stopped.

I fell out of the show somewhere in season 2.

Donal Logue is great in everything, though.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I hated Smallville because it felt like one giant tease that would have no pay off (and I was right).

I assume Gotham will be the exact same? A giant tease for Batman, but no batman show will ever come out of it.

Abylim

Gordon pls

S2 completely changes up a ton of stuff, starting with Fish basically vanishing. I'd recommend giving it another shot.

Hmm alright. My best friend said the same thing, maybe I should give it a shot.

Been bouncing between 12 monkeys and Limitless, both of which are kinda good at times, but not holding me either

cr0w

Old Member
Haven't really kept up with the show but I've seen an episode here and there. It's a fun Elseworlds style show from what I've seen.

The kid that plays Jerome, though....damn he absolutely KILLS it. My single favorite aspect of the show.

____

It's pretty fuckin entertaining. Especially Seasons 2 and 3. Season 4 looks promising too.

The only real stain on the show is Fish Mooney and how they handle her character in later seasons.

You should definitely check out the OT as you watch.

Jag

Fantastic show. I'm not a huge DC fan, but they do such a good job with the back stories.

As far as the tech, cellphones, etc. This is a show set probably 15 (+/- 5) years earlier than now because it's about Gotham before the Bat. I think they do a great job making it look like early to late 90s NYC/Gotham.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Season 2 was mostly fun up until the last few episodes. They have no clue what they're doing or where to take characters. It just circles around the same ideas screaming nonsense the entire time. There are some fun aspects to it, like their take on Riddler. And they have fantastic production design. Beyond that...

Yl6nWqt.gif

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I've liked the show since it started, and I really like the casting and character for Hugo Strange.

Also OP I believe the show uses older technology like cell phones because it's supposed to be vaguely set in the late 90s. Its Batman would be an adult in 2017, so this is Bruce at around 15.

Edit: beaten like bringing a BlackBerry to an iPhone fight.

Pau

I only watch scenes that have Bruce, Alfred, or Selina. It makes me happy. I live for those father and son moments between Bruce and Alfred. And so far this is my favorite live action Bruce.

Although I haven't seen anything of the third season.

I hated Smallville because it felt like one giant tease that would have no pay off (and I was right).

I assume Gotham will be the exact same? A giant tease for Batman, but no batman show will ever come out of it.
I mean by the end of S3
Bruce is already fighting crime in a skimask
Its honestly going to tease it but there is already legitimate pay off that Smallville just couldn't deliver.

Penguin

Just started watching this in Netflix, in the middle of S1 currently, and I'm sort of surprisingly enjoying it. It is constantly in a tonal war shifting between outright silliness and seriousness, the rogues such as Riddler and Penguin just come off as far too outlandish even before they take on their respective personas, but I suppose that is the point.

Gordon is a great central pillar and just as grounded and principled as the character should be. Given everything surrounding him is pure cartoonish lunacy, its important for him to hold it together for the audiences'(or my) sake. The sets and aesthetics are probably the best aspect, just a real great looking show, the set designers and dressers deserve their due credit.

Just unsure how a rookie detective can afford the insane penthouse apartment that Gordon is living with Barbara. Also Barbara does what exactly? Also wasn't Barbara his daughter's name?

I don't watch any of the other superhero serial shows(Arrow, SHIELD, etc...) and just tried this out of curiosity, but its kept me engaged so far.

The tonal shift was the show's biggest problem by the end of season 1 they figure it out and season 2 they nail it.

But yeah the camp vs serious stuff from scene to scene was very difficult

timberger

It's funny to watch but it's a complete and utter mess on just about every level. The handling of most of the characters is utterly bizarre. It's impossible to take anything happening seriously in it, especially when it wants you to.

I'm not going to go looking for a picture, but Michael Chiklis in that costume from the last ep sums up the show pretty neatly for me.

Pau

The penthouse is Barbara's. Her family is rich.

The Barbara who becomes Batgirl is Jim's niece through marriage, named after his first wife. He adopts her when her biological parents die.

Jag

I'm not going to go looking for a picture, but Michael Chiklis in that costume from the last ep sums up the show pretty neatly for me.

The casting of the show is fantastic too. Penguin, Riddler, Alfred are just fun to watch. Chiklis is probably one of the weaker characters. Gordon is hit or miss. Sometimes his angry side is so forced it is tough to watch.

Bluth54

It's basically a bad soap opera with Batman characters. It has a few good episodes here and there but most of the time it's pretty bad.

LionPride

Banned
Like, the show has some interesting aspects to it

I would never ever call it something I enjoyed watching before I tapped the fuck out and spent my time watching shows I enjoyed instead

Top Bottom