• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well... Chatbots are now a thing on PSN

Yes. This just happened to me a few days ago. I blocked it, but this is not cool at all.

Please... anyone on here have a suggestion on how to get Sony to filter this crap? I thought you had to accept a friend request before getting a message from anyone... is there a setting that blocks anyone that's not on your friends list?
Account management -> Privacy -> Messages

Weird, am I the only one that's been getting stuff like this for several months now on PSN? Once or twice a week I'll get added to a chat trying to link some shady code site.
i been getting it for about 5 months its annoying. I'll get like a 30 person chat with shady codes and shit

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I had a bot message me tonight, so I decided to play with it. I thought it might have shown promise by trying to key in on the term "body," but then it seemed like it didn't care about me one bit.
Hahahahaha, love your replies.

I don't know what was more hilarious: OP falling for the obvious bot and actually chatting it up for the longest time, him thinking "wow those bots are pretty elaborate" when he was actually just gullible, or your own exchange with that bot. Probably the latter though -- well played. The line about burying a body, and those insulting its AI, were darn good.

ZangBa

I've never had this type of message since PS3 day 1, but my nephew has like a hundred and he doesn't play much on his. We got one while playing Injustice 2 on his birthday asking if he was busy, like obviously dipshit, I'm over here showing my nephew what these Deadshot guns do.

Wiped89

Yup, the exact same thing happened to me this week.

I just told her/it 'why would I need to pay? I get it in real life for free'.

They said 'okay lol' and that was that.

Got another this morning. I really don't want to turn off my inbox from strangers because hatemail is funny but if it gets worse I may not have a choice.

mitch1971

So, you can be banned from PSN by reporting too many spam bots?

I was placed in a group chat with many others telling me to go to so and so site and claim your $50 psn voucher, it really works, etc. etc. I reported the person who set up the group and a few days later received a reply from Sony stating thankyou for your report. The message you received is against our TOS and further action will be taken with the original poster.

About a week later I received another, albeit from a different id, but the content was the same, offering me $50 psn voucher. Again , I reported it. This time they deemed this not to break the TOS, even though it was offering the same thing. Further more they warned me about abusing their reporting system otherwise further action will be taken against me.

At this point, I have given up on reporting anything. Their actions are a joke at this point.

joecanada

I updated the OP with screens on the bot profile for very easy recognition, and the actual conversation so people can how a typical bot conversation would go.

uhhhh OP that's hilarious because the same thing happened to me the other day but the funniest part of what you posted is the conversation was exactly the same, like word for word exact same exchange

(minus my responses of course which were more along the lines of "nah" "whatever" "uh huh" as I was grinding a game at the time and also wanted to see what the bot would say but was also busy)

I've never used the PSN messaging app but it's almost always a bot if the user's got a "girl/gurl/grl" in the username and it opens with a flirtatious greeting.

You're just jealous of my loving relationship with the charming sexywebcamhumangurl85_definitelynotanai_8a84f9201e9b73. I expect we'll be marrying next month.

Computers have long already passed the Turing Test, yet no doubt, still have a ways to go. Still, that's crazy...

No computer has ever passed the Turing Test, actually. But that's not stopping reporters from going nuts and echoing every time a chatbot creator claims their chatbot passed the test in their own experiments.

As someone that is also 30, this exchange made me chuckle out loud while I was reading through the screenshots. What a strange response.

OP was thirsty until the very end. He fools no one.

You are trying waaaaaay too hard.

C4Lukins

Ha just got one of these on Xbox. I wanted to see how far it would go.

Wednesday: Are you busy?

I ignore it.

Thursday nite:

Bot: Ohla

At this point I am not sure what is going on and why this person is contacting me again, also Ohla instead of Hola seemed strange, but let's check it out.

Me: I am sorry but who is this

Now keep in mind I am keeping the original spelling intact

Bot: I got ure name from the member search here on this Xbox app cuz I was bored and looked for new people to talk to :)

At this point I still do not know what is going on. I think it is just some lonely person on their Xbox who wants to chat.

Bot: how old r u?

Me: 37 I am old.

Bot: 22.f.... watcha doin?

I am starting to get more suspicious but this still feels like a real conversation.

Me: Just playing some Minecraft, trying to get sleep before work tomorrow.

Bot: ahh, I just got done playing cod. My break ended and I'm not exactly loving it lol I'm still in university right now so now I was really enjoying the time off with my friends you know??

So outside of the poor punctuation and lack of capitalization, it still feels like a real conversation, but is also very suspect.

Me: where are you from?

Bot: lol, well I have an idea if ure up for a lil fun

So now they are not at all responding properly to my responses, so I am just curious how far this chain would go.

I did not respond for a few minutes.

Bot: did you leave me??

Me: no I am here

Bot: I was actually gonna get to "work" here shortly. a friend of mine is was working online and I kept askin her about it so she showed me what she was doing when we got back to school last fall

Bot: I thought she was joking at first haha, but it's pretty cool actually. we work online doing private webcam shows which sounded super nuttyat first believe me. but I freakin luv it!!!

So at this point I know this an ad to get someone to get me to go to their webcam website, but I am still not sure if I am talking to a human or not.

Me: I simply asked where you are from

Bot: well what I was going to say is I have free passes to private showings.....

That goes on for awhile, and a website is included that I will not mention for "her" cam show.

Now I was for sure that this was a bot. I did not know that instant responses like this could be done through XBOX Live, so I wanted to see how deep the rabbit hole goes. How it would respond to direct questions.

Me: No thanks, if you cannot even tell me where you are from, not sure what sort of conversation we can have.

Bot: don't you worry though... I'll earn it. Go to website .......... and you should see a lil button....

It was longer then that but included instructions on how to sign up for their webcam.

Me: ok so this is bull shit. Not interested.

Bot: Yeah you are going to need a cc of sum sort.. but, it's just to keep out the underage kids cuz there's a lot of them on here obv

So now I just want to see how long the bot will continue to converse with me.

Me: yeah you are not even answering my questions

Bot: u should feel special I don't usually give out this one!!! Loll I'm such a goofball sumtimes

Me: Oh I feel super special, I just want to know what state or country you are from.

Bot: I really can't wait too it's going 2 be so much fun. I love meeting new ppl on here, oh by the way... might wanna turn ure speakers down cuz I can get a lil loud once I get going

So as you can see at this point, whatever auto answer thing they had in place is no longer close to being on par with anything I am saying.

Me: How many 1 fifths does it take to make a whole?

Bot: I'm about to go grab some of my favorite "toys", I'll brb hurry up though I better see ure name in my room when I get back lol

After that in an attempt to see if it would keep on going, I described some of my favorite toys such as GI Joe, and Transformers, but the bot had run out of responses.

So that is the end of my tale. I guess I should feel bad for participating in the conversation in the first place, not to mention transcribing it for all of you.

Sony, can we please have a privacy setting for 'Friends or people I've played with'* thanks

* don't wanna lose those salty rage quit fighting game messages

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I got this like 1 week ago.
Shebot wss really hawt.

My replies where total random words like
Potato.

After a while shebot asked me to check out her livestream it was the sexy.

😍 prob needs a CC

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I bought a ps4 about 3 months ago... and get one of these every 2 or so weeks.. asking to buy my account.

What the fuck?

OCD Guy

I just block contact from anyone that is NOT on my friends list. Random people never have anything worth reading/hearing etc.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Heh, I also had this a few weeks ago. Got a msg from a level 0 account with just a ':)' as a message. Immediately blocked and reported.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Too fucking many

I got bombarded one with 6 at the same time with same messages

Figured it out quickly

Now if you ain't on my FL, Bye Felicia 👋 👋👋

Top Bottom