• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret World Legends |OT| The Return of Cthulhu ft. Soviet Space Vampires

TheYanger

So, I loved TSW at launch, what factions are people planning on playing? I really liked Illuminati all the way, but I never finished my Templar, kind of considering that. Plus Templars have the best aesthetic.

Quantum

I picked illuminati this time, played templar last.

not sure how long I'll play this time (after playing at launch then stopping before tokyo I'm not how much time I'll invest)

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
This rune game is fucking stupid. Got to 4 then went around the circle and nothing is working for the last one.

So, I loved TSW at launch, what factions are people planning on playing? I really liked Illuminati all the way, but I never finished my Templar, kind of considering that. Plus Templars have the best aesthetic.

Massivelyop has a nice series of articles on the three factions.
Templars
Illuminati
Dragon

I personally feel Templars are the most developed faction. They have the best aesthetic, London is the best city hub and none of the other factions get to experience Virgula Divina, one of the best quests in the game. The mission reports are a bit dry, though. Richard Sonnac, your handler, plays the role of English gentleman and his reports are peppered with literary quotes and talk about 'the greater good'.

For most players the Illuminati are synonymous with Kirsten Geary and she is widely considered to be the best handler. Her mission reports are filled with sarcasm and snark. I also think the Illuminati intro is the best as the article mentions.

Then the Dragon are a bit the odd duck out. The Dragon home base sucks and you rarely get to interact with their faction handler. All three factions are morally ambiguous but they are closest to evil on the morality scale in my opinion. Their ideology is quite...interesting but also not so easy to grasp as the straightforward Templars or behind the scenes Illuminati. Dragon do get the most lore-revealing mission reports. And they have one of the best characters in the game but you won't meet him until Tokyo.

If a town came under attack by monsters the Templar would rush straight in with the cavalry and kill everyone if necessary, the Illuminati would asses the financial worth of the town and, if judged too valuable, hire mercenaries. And what the Dragon would do nobody knows. Probably just observe.

TheYanger

I've been using the same rune twice. :lol

And going around the circle shows that two different runes can be first? What the hell?

The position of the red dots don't mean those runes are correct, a red dot means SOME rune is correct, IE: 4 red dots might mean your first rune is wrong.

A grey slash means right rune somewhere, wrong position, and no mark at all means the rune doesn't exist.

So 4 red and a grey means ANY ONE of the 5 is wrong, and the other 4 are right.

Patison

Answers for ARG:
Shotgun SW NE SW S N
Pistol N NE S SE NE
Blade S NW N SW NW
Rifle SE N SW S NW
Hammer N S SW S NW
Blood S SW NW SW NW
Ele SE S SW SW N
Fist NE NE NW SE SW

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Answers for ARG:
Shotgun SW NE SW S N
Pistol N NE S SE NE
Blade S NW N SW NW
Rifle SE N SW S NW
Hammer N S SW S NW
Blood S SW NW SW NW
Ele SE S SW SW N
Fist NE NE NW SE SW

And I had just solved it too. Good grief that was terrible.

If I link my account now and at a latter time I unlock vanity items in TSW, does it carry over?

I really really, hope I can recreate my character, he is beautiful.

686132505000223991da3978b995960a.png

Also they won't be doing a rollback to deal with the aurum exploit. Guess they found another solution.

Mozendo

The patcher automatically forced TSW:L on me too. Guess if you want to play original TSW you're going to re-download it again :V

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

When i replayed the game for the story last time i went Dragon. The Dragon faction stuff is kind of weak (i think you only meet up with your handler like 3 times the entire game) but there is a nice payoff storywise at the last zone, Kaidan, which wasnt there in the base game.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Dragon is the most boring of the three, not particulary interested in joining a shadow organization ruled by a 5 year old mute kid.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Dragon is the most boring of the three, not particulary interested in joining a shadow organization ruled by a 5 year old mute kid.

Cant be 5 years old forever. i dont know if i would recommend Dragon as a first playthrough but i appreciated what was done beyond the base game with them.

yansolo

always been curious about this one coz I like the grounded/supernatural setting, getting tired of all the fantasy stuff tbh. But I dunno after looking at a few videos, looks kinda meh, how does this compare to ESO?

Stiler

always been curious about this one coz I like the grounded/supernatural setting, getting tired of all the fantasy stuff tbh. But I dunno after looking at a few videos, looks kinda meh, how does this compare to ESO?

The stories and adventure quests are more interesting and better written in this game imo. If you are a horror fan then the setting/lore/stories are right up your alley. It pays homage to a lot of horror, from books (especially HP Lovecraft) to movies (even Monster Squad) and others, heck they even have Jeffrey Combs doing some characters (the actor who played Herbert West in Re-Animator).

Combat is well it's an mmo, ESO/SWL neither are going to win an award for their combat.

Besides, it's free, so it can't really hurt you to try it...

SWL is even more single-player focused and the story is by far the most important and best part of the game. A lot of resources have gone here into writing and storytelling and it shows. The game borrows a lot from the horror genre. It's not a scary game per se but the suspense, atmosphere and general feeling of weirdness is certainly present.

Give it a try. The game is free to play now.

I still love the login music. Made a templar chaos/gun class. wish you could chaos sword, that was always my jam.

Well you can. There's no 'hard' classes in this game. Just acquire a sword later.

TheYanger

SWL is even more single-player focused and the story is by far the most important and best part of the game. A lot of resources have gone here into writing and storytelling and it shows. The game borrows a lot from the horror genre. It's not a scary game per se but the suspense, atmosphere and general feeling of weirdness is certainly present.

Give it a try. The game is free to play now.

Well you can. There's no 'hard' classes in this game. Just acquire a sword later.

Right, but that's much later no? I thought I was stuck as my starter class for a while.

also, the new tutorial is miles better than the old.

TheYanger

If you have linked your old TSW to your new SWL account all weapons are unlocked from the start.

wait really? then something is fucked with my link. hmm.

EDIT: Are you sure it's not after I get to kingsmouth or something? My account with the same account name and email linked properly as far as I can tell.

EDIT: Are you sure it's not after I get to kingsmouth or something? My account with the same account name and email linked properly as far as I can tell.

Yeah it's after you get to Kingsmouth I think. You should also receive your clothing items, pets and sprints then.

Stiler

Once you get to the portal area (right before kingsmith) you get your linked items and things.

TheYanger

Yeah it's after you get to Kingsmouth I think. You should also receive your clothing items, pets and sprints then.

Yep :) literally right after I posted, when I got to kingsmouth I was able to claim my daily login reward and that same window had 'claim vanity' and it unlocked all of my TSW shit.

Menome

Yep :) literally right after I posted, when I got to kingsmouth I was able to claim my daily login reward and that same window had 'claim vanity' and it unlocked all of my TSW shit.

Don't forget to go to 'Delivered Items' in the top-left menu, there's a button there that'll transfer everything else as well.

derFeef

You can do it here

https://account.secretworldlegends.com/

log-in with your TSW account (or request password if you forgot) and then you should be able to link.

https://account.secretworldlegends.com/account/

I just logged in with my old TSW credentials and it worked.

Okay that worked now (old credentials), it did not work 10 minutes ago, thanks! :)
Now I am a Lifetime Patron, yay ;)

Also RIP my old TSW OT *sniff* but glad we got another OT, thanks!

Mithos

Now I am a Lifetime Patron, yay ;)
Oh, looks like I have patron status too, yay extras/daily rewards nice.

Rant:
Darn it Funcom, fix the old client/server issue, I need to login and write down my "builds".
Tried most "solutions" pure blackscreen, never getting to the loginscreen.

Edit:
FINALLY!!

Delete old client, install new, and copy old RDB (for the 5th time), start patcher, let it check files, now it works.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
did all quests in solomon island, got to lvl 18. Did the dungeon again (this time for the quest), seems going with a full heal build is kinda overkill as theres little damage going on in there really (in a group I mean, I know you can solo them)

I maintain what I've been saying... I dunno man (lol). As a "go to when im bored and on a slump" (which I've been in for the last few weeks and I jumped from ESO to Tera to Guild Wars 2 to Dark Souls 3 and nothing grabs me) mmo its fine I guess, everything we already said a million times continues to hold. Great writing and voice acting, janky everything else.

Combat wise, I still see no need (or want) for the secondary weapon. Right now as blood dps im running with the basic (which costs no resource so I can use as filler when im low), the channel spell as main dps (and even tho it costs resource by the time you finish channeling you got it back already), 2 dots, reap from the first tree, and then dessecrate from the second tree, I use the aoe thing you start with for, well, aoe situations, and finally the heart rip stun, because stuns are always useful.

I would probably drop the stun for something else when I get something else because the stun drops your blood level and I dont want to drop my blood level really, in most cases.

So yeah, I have no room for a secondary weapon, nor am I ever low enough on resources that I would need to use the secondary, so I dont get it.

As a healer, secondary comes in hand because, A) you dont get enough heals, and B) theres some nice heals on the other weapons. I dropped the starting rifle for the fist weapon, I like the hot style heals (im using one now on my heal loadout) and I dont carry a stupid rifle on my back, im a magic witch lady, magic witch ladies dont use rifles damn it.

Im sure at higher levels or for mid maxing you need to use both bu meh, the game is already easy enough as it is right now, so im doing fine. Shit be dying you know?

Also, the game might look like ass in general, but that motel at the start of the second zone (savage coast or something?) still looks fantastic, I remember that being great even back on release. In fact I remember this second zone being much better, especially for horror fans. It has that creepy haunted cabin and shit right?

So as it stands, I dont know how much ill play from tomorow onward (when the necro drops for diablo which I've been waiting for bad), but I can see myself coming back to it now and then, espeacially at work.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
these investigation quests are absolutely bonkers. bananas. crazytown shit. what the fuck?

I'm just happy I got my old character name.

Looking forward to playing a bit if the servers aren't on fire, TSW has always been my favorite MMO, and now it being F2P means all my friends who didn't want in the first time can give it a whirl.

Illuminati all the way, they have the best writing and best missions out of all of the factions. Plus we're classy.

Top Bottom