• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uhh, that Crash remaster is looking pretty fucking good.

all of their "remasters" have been on point

Who is the 'they' in this instance? Activision's previous remasters have been lazy & shitty.

Something about this looks like a fake video game that would be plot-critical in a kids' movie.

Good god, this is it! I knew there was something I found slightly off about the visual style, and you've just summarised why! Is this the cartoony visuals version of Uncanny Valley?

Piggus

Here I thought they stuck with 30fps for this.

Nice to see it isn't.

EDIT: Couple people in here saying it is indeed 30fps, what's up with OP's video then?

Yeah, I'm not sure why the trailer is 60 fps but all the gameplay we've seen is 30. Not holding my breath for a 60 fps option (which it really should have given that this game can't be too CPU intensive), but it would be a nice surprise.

Show us your skills.

790zXNA.png

I think this looks great. I wasn't the biggest fan of the first 3 Crash games (CTR and Crash Bash were lit though). Nevertheless, I'm glad I live in a timeline where these games are being brought back. Hopefully this game's inevitable success leads to other PS1 era mascot franchises like Spyro being remastered.

Yup, it looks amazing and it makes me happy that it's the best selling video game on Amazon (germany) for several days now.

Shin

Banned
The water is particularly terrible in the remaster.

It needs more ripples and darker tone, that's still a thing on some maps/videos it seems.
Like in some videos it matching the original 1:1, where else in other videos it looks too bright/washed out.
They did a great job though with remastering this, it stays true to the original in ways I didn't expect it to.
The mango's or whatever it is seems a bit floaty and don't disappear fast enough on the screen, like it's lagging.

That video was ace @ OP (beside my issues with the game/videos that I listed above).

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I'm super pleased that they seem to be staying so faithful to the original. This is exactly what I want when a game gets remade. That it's happening to some of my absolute favorite games from my childhood has me very excited.

It's a platform game @30 fps so no it's not looking all that good as far as I'm concerned.

This kind of shit is so sad. I'm so thankful I don't have this mentality when approaching a game I want to play.

Roussow

So the first game was probably the first game I played (or at least owned), never finished it, only saw the late levels with cheats. Looking forward to going back and playing it througj properly.

How are the other two games by comparison? I'm curious to see how they'll play without having touched them in the past.

So the first game was probably the first game I played (or at least owned), never finished it, only saw the late levels with cheats. Looking forward to going back and playing it througj properly.

How are the other two games by comparison? I'm curious to see how they'll play without having touched them in the past.

More variety, more story, and challenging levels, although not as challenging as the first game. I remember the last two worlds of the first game being brutal.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This game has so much love poured into it and it's visible in every video. It will easily be one of the best remakes ever.

PaulloDEC

Here I thought they stuck with 30fps for this.

Nice to see it isn't.

EDIT: Couple people in here saying it is indeed 30fps, what's up with OP's video then?

Between numerous pieces of legit 60fps gameplay and the various evasive things that Activision/Vicarious Visions employees have said, I'm putting money on a framerate-unlocked PC port somewhere down the line.

From what I've seen so far, the level design and gameplay is almost identical to the original. So I'd consider it a graphical remake, but overall a game remaster.

I still think there should be three terms to choose from for this stuff.

Remaster = You're taking the original work and polishing it up to look as good as it can.
(See: Jak and Daxter Collection)

Remake = You're recreating the original work using modern art and techniques.
(See: Crash N-Sane Trilogy)

Reimagining = You're taking the idea of the original work and using it to create something new and significantly different.
(See: Ratchet & Clank 2016)

Hektor

The other two games are much more popular than the first one and for good reason.

Tho I could imagine people liking the first game a bit more in this remake since they apparently did away with one of its most frustrating design decisions, that being the save system

Alx

Those narrow corridors make me feel a bit claustrophobic. I guess it was convenient at the time to reduce draw distance.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I like the looks but still hate how the wumpa fruits still take forever to go to the counter (unlike in the original games), and the water. Water looks shit, especially from the pyramid stages on their Crash 3 previews. Otherwise yeah, it looks top notch.

Opa-Pa

It's really frustrating that Activision chose to call these "remasters" just because it's the more popular buzzword, because they're evidently remakes and yet you get people comparing this to the Uncharted trilogy in arguments about how Vicarious sucks for not making them 60fps while Bluepoint nailed it in that collection.

I mean the graphical update is insane, these look great. You don't get that by just replacing textures and adding lighting.

Overall it looks okay but the colour grading is wayyy too warm. Also the realistic water doesn't suit the cartoon everything else, it just looks flat.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yup, the devs have talked on numerous occasions about the amount of tuning that went into getting the analogue movement feeling modern and correct.

I forgot but wasn't Warped the first Crash game with analog control? I forgot how he played back then since I still used the d-pad.

Overall it looks okay but the colour grading is wayyy too warm. Also the realistic water doesn't suit the cartoon everything else, it just looks flat.

Yeah the water really bothered me. You should check out the egyptian stage demos.

I still think there should be three terms to choose from for this stuff.

Remaster = You're taking the original work and polishing it up to look as good as it can.
(See: Jak and Daxter Collection)

Remake = You're recreating the original work using modern art and techniques.
(See: Crash N-Sane Trilogy)

Reimagining = You're taking the idea of the original work and using it to create something new and significantly different.
(See: Ratchet & Clank 2016)

This. Like why is it so difficult to comprehend for some.

My brain was hurting reading through the SotC thread with so many people calling it a remaster.

AlanOC91

I forgot but wasn't Warped the first Crash game with analog control? I forgot how he played back then since I still used the d-pad.

Yeah the water really bothered me. You should check out the egyptian stage demos.

I think a specific version of Crash 2 had analogue support added.

jimboton

I'm super pleased that they seem to be staying so faithful to the original. This is exactly what I want when a game gets remade. That it's happening to some of my absolute favorite games from my childhood has me very excited.

This kind of shit is so sad. I'm so thankful I don't have this mentality when approaching a game I want to play.

Hey, sorry I brought common sense to your sacred childhood favorite game.

Guess you must have hated the original crash trilogy huh.

If you don't think the original needs improvements why aren't you playing them now instead of waiting for this? Those 30 fps needed as much upgrading as the 320*240 resolution and lack of texture filtering.

AlanOC91

If you don't think the original needs improvements why aren't you playing them now instead of waiting for this? Those 30 fps needed as much upgrading as the 320*240 resolution and lack of texture filtering.

Look, some of us are excited for this and looking forward to playing higher quality versions of the original trilogy.

The game is done and pretty much shipped. It's not going to change so there's no point in running around in a circle about what we want or wish for.

It is what it is now and there are quite a few of us still excited.

It's not a hard concept to understand.

PaulloDEC

From memory I think Crash 2 included analogue movement, though I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong.

This. Like why is it so difficult to comprehend for some.

My brain was hurting reading through the SotC thread with so many people calling it a remaster.

It makes the official messaging with the N-Sane Trilogy all the weirder. I can't imagine what kind of strange legal requirement was put in place to prevent people from just calling the thing what it is.

I want to play these games at 60fps as much as anyone (I'll certainly double-dip if the games make it to PC with that functionality) but as always, let's not pretend that games like this are less than playable at 30fps. It's a perfectly acceptable framerate for a console game in 2017, regardless of genre.

NO

A remake is a new game, a remaster is an old game. These are the old games.

So wait, what would you call the Jak and Daxter Collection on PS3? Do you not draw a distinction between games that have been polished up versus games that have been entirely rebuilt from scratch?

Undrey

Cannot wait for this. Excited to see the changes they've done to the cutscenes and characters. Also really looking forward to what they do with future installments (very much hope this does well).

Top Bottom