• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What have you bought during the Steam sale, are enjoying them?

• Thread starter Deleted member 325805
  • Start date
I went SHMUP crazy! And having a damn good time! All of this for $50.

The Hurricane of the Varstray + DLC
Dodonpachi Resurrection ver 1.5
Danmaku Unlimited 3
RefRain
Blue Revolver
Deep Space Waifu (LOL)
Smashing the Battle

DirtRiver

Bought a lot of games but already refunded Just Cause 3 and Sniper Elite 3. The first because after the 2nd game I can't stand "go there and destroy shit missions", and that's all the game seems to be, and the second because, even though I liked the 2nd, I bought a Sniper game to play as a sniper, not to go around slowly with a silenced pistol because if I use my sniper everyone is going to come and kill me.

Alebelly

I've installed about 15 mods so far and they've all improved the game for me[/URL]. I will say the load times are atrocious though, the worst I can remember actually, and that's using a Samsung Evo 850 SSD.

I haven't bothered to mod it, but I know the base game has almost zero load time on my 950 Pro

Only Dragons Dogma so far. Played it on PS3 so I'm excited to experience it properly though. Struggling to choose a vocation though, don't want to play assassin because that's what I was last time but I'm not sure what else to choose. I'm thinking mystic knight maybe?

I got Commandos set for about 2 quid.

Ive been playing Shadow Tactics: shogan (great game) which really brought back some great memories of those stealth sneaky tactical type games.

GHG

Gold Member
imagezpq8g.jpeg

So far I've tried Redout and Owlboy. Both are great so far. Having more fun with Redout than Wipeout and Owlboy is the most charming game I've played in years. Binding of Issac is also good fun so far but that was to be expected.

Will try the rest gradually over the next couple of weeks.

Picked up PUBG and Nier not the best discount but I've had my eye on both for a few months.

Nier reminds me why I love videos games and battlegrounds is fucking intense. I love the battle royale style gameplay and it's fucking tense from the moment you jump outta that plane haha.

Mexen

Started playing Stardew Valley. At first I felt unsure of exactly what I should do; things didn't get better as I went online to search for beginner's guides, only to find these really stressful videos outlining how to play for MAXIMUM PROFIT. Like "So on the second day you better have planned for this thing and you better do this thing RIGHT NOW otherwise it's gonna be bad"; a lot of these guides I found felt at odds with the game's inherent message against soulless corporations who care for profit and nothing else.

But I tried to distill the more basic and useful tips I could find, and once I started to understand more and play the game as I think was intended - with determination and planning in mind, but relaxed - it started clicking with me. Making money and being efficient is still part of it, but I also find great joy in just observing the slow evolution of my farm and my relationship with all the characters. Really nice game.

Great choice. I got it last year and I still play it. One of those you can always play before bed or on a chilled Sunday morning.

BriGuy

Hollow Knight is fun, but the lack of clear objectives kind of hurts it. The game doesn't need to hold your hand or give you a shining beacon of where to go next, but a fricking map that auto completes as you go should be mandatory for these kinds of games.

Also bought Yooka Laylee. I have about six minutes left to determine if I want a refund. I want to like it, but it feels like I should be having more fun than I actually am.

I got a bunch of DLC that I wanted for Assetto Corsa, Stellaris, etc. Since I'm not using a disk drive anymore I got Dragon Age + Awakening, I have DAO on disk but I'm not bothered to go look for it.

Apart from that I got Doom, now that they removed Denuvo and the price isn't outrageous where I live.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I bought Hollow Knight and put the most time into that. I've heard only great things about it and love the genre but didn't have time so I didn't look into it much. Better than I could have hoped so far. I was listening to a podcast while I started playing it and for the first time in a long time for a
smaller" game I made a point to shut it off because the sound and atmosphere works so well. Controls are tight, best looking bugs in history, and the feeling of exploration is perfect.

I also disagree about the map comment above, but I think Metroid is better than Zero Mission and Fusion was the start of the downfall of that series so I'm clearly not the popular opinion for these things. Minor early game map mechanics spoiler:
You can buy items that fill in your map, but it only updates when you rest at a bench. I like the compromise of giving you a map but making you figure out the new areas on your own for a while.

Along with Hollow Knight I picked up Brothers finally because it was so cheap that it was easier than just removing it from my wishlist but I haven't played it yet.

I didn't realize Cosmochoria was structured the way it is (Super House of Dead Ninjas or a light Rogue Legacy, permadeath with persistent upgrades unlockable) but I'll be coming back at least a few more times to try it out. I'm a sucker for jetpack/gravity controls at the very least and that part delivers.

inner-G

Banned
Looked at the FF stufff and Nier, but for me a big 'Steam sale' should mean like 75% off and like $1.00 indies. This just seems like their regular sales but with more stuff included.

Sale was pretty disappointing to me so I just got my wife a 3DS instead. She usually likes mobile/sims-type games, and she's really digging Animal Crossing

wbEMX

Picked up Shadow Warrior and Shadow of Mordor basically for free due to having Steam credit from CSGO boxes. Played Shadow Warrior for about three hours and I like it. It's corny as hell, but that's the whole charm behind it. Still need to play Shadow of Mordor.

So far, I've played Subnautica and Hexcells. I managed to complete Hexcells in a single 1.5-hour sitting, and then spent another 15 minutes or so getting 100%. That game's great; Minesweeper but more complex. I look forward to digging into the other two games in the trilogy, which I also picked up in the sale.

Subnautica is pretty neat too, and I melted three hours playing it this morning. The initial "oh crap how do I stay alive" bit is great, but I think I've hit an early plateau where the next step isn't totally clear. I do have that lifepod beacon still blinking at me to investigate, though (even though I've already been there once) and there are still other things to do, so I'm not too worried yet.

I think next I'm going to see how Motorsport Manager is, and then contemplate what my next purchases will be. I got the cheaper impulse buys out of the way, so now I'm trying to decide if I want to spend $27 each on Hitman and Rise of the Tomb Raider, or if I should just wait until next sale.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
This is why we can't have nice things :'(

The level of jank in New Vegas just made it impossible for me to enjoy it, had I played it at release it may have been different but playing it in 2016 just showed its flaws magnified x1000. It's the same with Dark Souls, loved DS2, DS3 and Bloodborne but couldn't even stand to finish the first game as the PC port was so awful (yes I had the "fix").

I haven't bothered to mod it, but I know the base game has almost zero load time on my 950 Pro

It's not the mods AFAIK, I searched and it seems to be a common complaint, if you don't have an SSD it's even worse. You just brute forced it with the 950 Pro which is considerably faster than most SSDs people will have in their gaming rig.

850 Evo:

Read: 540MB/s
Write: 520MB/s

950 Pro:

Read: 2200MB/s
Write: 900MB/s

Games I have bought and actually played so far are steam world heist and snake solid 5.

Intro mission in solid snake were a bit boring and dragged on. But feels better now you are in Afghanistan on a horse.

Steam world heist is quite decent from what I have played so far.

venomenon

Picked up Streets of Rogue, Dead Cells, The Sexy Brutale and SquareCells.

Kinda disappointed by Streets of Rogue so far. You seem to be confined to specific approaches to the missions (which are very samey) too often, so the variety in characters is not worth as much. I'm still learning though and it might get better. I will also have to check it out in co-op, which is actually the main reason I got it.

Dead Cells is amazing, exactly what I wanted out of it. I didn't want to play too much while it's still in Early Access but I probably will.

The Sexy Brutale is gorgeous and I really like its gameplay. I'm curious as to how difficult it will become. Only played the first two "missions" so far.

SquareCells, well, it's nonograms with a twist, so there's no way I wouldn't like it.

Sexy Brutale: my surprise game of the sale. I bought the game based on a recommendation and I was surprised how enjoyable the game was. A very nice package of mystery, exploration, puzzles and style (art+music). One of very few games I was compelled to 100%, it was just that good.

I bought other games I also play and enjoy but SB shines above them.

Bought Killer Is Dead, Pathologic Classic HD and Fallout New Vegas.

Waiting on sleeping over with my best friend to play New Vegas, which is one of his favourite games.

Killer Is Dead isn't fully downloaded yet.

Didn't give Pathologic a try.

Also going to buy Dark Souls 3 tonight.

Branson

The level of jank in New Vegas just made it impossible for me to enjoy it, had I played it at release it may have been different but playing it in 2016 just showed its flaws magnified x1000. It's the same with Dark Souls, loved DS2, DS3 and Bloodborne but couldn't even stand to finish the first game as the PC port was so awful (yes I had the "fix").

It's not the mods AFAIK, I searched and it seems to be a common complaint, if you don't have an SSD it's even worse. You just brute forced it with the 950 Pro which is considerably faster than most SSDs people will have in their gaming rig.

850 Evo:

Read: 540MB/s
Write: 520MB/s

950 Pro:

Read: 2200MB/s
Write: 900MB/s

Did you mod NV at all? The base game is good but it really shines once you do mod it and help get rid of the bugs. The writing alone holds up.

StoneFox

Hollow Knight. Solid 9/10 from me.

Darkest Dungeon. It hasn't really grabbed me yet but I have only done the first quest so far.

I also bought Vallhalla Bartender Action or whatever it's called. I'll play it after I finish Hollow Knight.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Refunded Hollow Knight as well. Can't stand Metroidvanias without an auto completing as you explore map.

So just Thumper, Virginia and The Beginners Guide for me.

Kientin

I got Prey, which I'm really enjoying so far. I also got Hollow Knight which is put on the backlog until I'm done with Prey.

dreamfall

I want to buy a lot but I haven't really sifted through my wishlist yet. I finally got around to buying Far Cry 4 and I'm enjoying the tedium of it all - I'm one of those people who loves FC2, played 3 to completion but hated the story so much it almost made me quit (even with the advancements in the gameplay department). Just doing random activities and clearing out map icons slowly- Kyrat is beautiful and the facial tech for characters really is pretty stunning.

But it's been a Bethesda summer for me, just playing a lot of Morrowind and Fallout 4. I think I'll go in on Pillars of Eternity and maybe Wasteland 2. I also picked up PUBG with the GMG discount and I'm enjoying the jank and the tense rounds in between longer single player games.

Takeru

I bought Clannad, it didnt work so i got a refund. Its been pretty uneventul for me so far.

That's a shame since Clannad is a really good VN.

As for me:
Remains of both the Bethesda bundle and Valve bundle...I finally have all Valve games.
39338f5e722d980e867a559f3d5a5b13.png

4f502f225b61a5c3660eca00cc91d97d.png

(one Hyperdevotion is a gift)

And Neptunia U on Amazon (I recommend people buy from there too)

Gastone

Bought the following, but have not played them yet. Currently playing BoTW, and i'll start on one of these afterwards:

911 Operator
Little Nightmares
Nex Machina
Thimbleweed Park

rfield84

Banned
This is my first year having a laptop that can run any sort of game. So I used this Steam sale to pick up some older RPGs I've never gotten to play. So here's my haul:

Baludr's Gate Enhanced Edition $6.79: I've gotten through the tutorial, and I think I'm going to enjoy it. Gonna have to take my time, as I've got a lot to learn about the systems and mechanics.

Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition $6.79

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic $2.49: Been having some trouble getting this to play at the moment. Game seems to crash after character creation. Gonna fiddle around with it later on.

Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edtion $7.49: Haven't put any time into this yet, but I'm excited to give it a go.

Dragoshi1

Streets of Rogue is what I mainly bought, and have lost myself in for hours at a time. It's just addicting to see how far I can get as a cop or shapeshifter.

daxy

This is my first year having a laptop that can run any sort of game. So I used this Steam sale to pick up some older RPGs I've never gotten to play. So here's my haul:

Baludr's Gate Enhanced Edition $6.79: I've gotten through the tutorial, and I think I'm going to enjoy it. Gonna have to take my time, as I've got a lot to learn about the systems and mechanics.

Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition $6.79

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic $2.49: Been having some trouble getting this to play at the moment. Game seems to crash after character creation. Gonna fiddle around with it later on.

Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edtion $7.49: Haven't put any time into this yet, but I'm excited to give it a go.

Nice haul! Based on those games, you may want to have a look at Pillars of Eternity, Icewind Dale, and Divinity Original Sin if you haven't already.

Playing Metro 2033 right now. Got the Redux Bundle.

I didn't expect Russian Nazis, to be fair.

I wish Playerunknown's Battlegrounds would be on sale. But well, I'll get that in a few weeks then.

Jyrii

Banned
Bought Nier: Automata and currently doing second run.

It certainly has neat things, but the story hasn't really won me over yet. Also the second playthrough is way too similar to the first one.

Black Desert. The striker class lets you hold monsters in a chokehold and slam them into enemies.. I've never seen combat like this in an mmo before. It's crazy.

Also playing through Darkest Dungeon and Hollow Knight too :). Both amazing games.

Zeneric

Sublevel Zero (Loved Descent 1 and 2 when I was a kid. Probably won't touch SZ for a while).
Singularity (Was avoiding it cuz no subs (I'm deaf). Finally gave in and bought it. Glad I bought it. It's a solid fun FPS SP game).
Dex (2D sidescrolling cyberpunk RPG: Oh yes. Not bad so far; still too early to judge. I like the simple sci-fi art style tho).
Ghost 1.0 (a metroidvania cyberpunk game. Haven't played it yet).
Starcrawlers (enjoyed Legends of Grimrock and I dig sci-fi/cyberpunk. Fun sofar).
Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death (Played and refunded it before cuz I wanted something else. Staying in my Steam account forever this time. It's a solid FPS SP game).
Hitman GO (Haven't played it yet. Seems fun).

Those totaled up to 50 bucks CAD. Not a bad deal.

Not done with Steam summer sale yet. Waiting for money from 150-200 cards I'm selling (they're on hold atm).

Top Bottom