• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risto

Banned
I walked into a microcenter yesterday to look at some pc parts and they had 3 switches in stock. Picked one up for retail price and I couldn't be happier. The employees sounded surprised that they were there.

Scrawnton

I was at Best Buy yesterday (Pittsburgh area) picking up a computer monitor and they had zero Switches in stock, but they did have two docks left so I picked one of those up for my PC desk set up. Worked out great.

The docks weren't even stocked on the shelf and were in the back room. Their website said they had them so the worker had to get it for me.

if anyone happened to grab a Gray console from Amazon yesterday, it looks like they bumped the shipping times down. Mine will be here tomorrow!

jrDev

What I don't understand and never experienced in my life, a shortage of accessories. Gamestop has no idea when they are getting more Joycon bundles which is annoying because I have credit there to use...

Scrawnton

What I don't understand and never experienced in my life, a shortage of accessories. Gamestop has no idea when they are getting more Joycon bundles which is annoying because I have credit there to use...
Do you mean neon joycon? Because my Gamestop and every store around me had a ton of grey bundles.

You end up being stuck with a bunch of shit you absolutely do not want. You have to waste time trying to sell these games and accessories that came bundled. And let's be honest, you're not going to sell them at the same price for what you just paid for them.

It's just as bad as scalping.

The bundle I got had Zelda and a Pro Controller, two purchases I was going to make. This is just false.

Obviously it depends on where you live and what stores you have access to, but it's getting to point where it's no longer surprising to see Switches in stock (where I live). Walmart, Target, Best Buy (all a 10-15 minute drive from me) have them in stock. But not the Toy R Us I went to to get another green yarn yoshi amiibo yesterday.

Screen protectors, joy cons, and pro controllers. All there. Just not the neon joy cons. I'm actually surprised Gamestop is still doing bundles.

Chopper

Is there any reason to think that the Splatoon bundle preorders currently available at Game or Amazon here in the UK won't be honoured on launch day?

Deku Tree

81zmkY3mgtL._SY500_.jpg

Do your screens scratch if you take in and out of the dock a lot and you don't have one of these?

Zedark

Do your screens scratch if you take in and out of the dock a lot and you don't have one of these?

The issue with scratching depends on whether your dock is slightly bent. If so, it's wise to use such a sleeve if you can't unbend it. Buying a sleeve is always a good idea regardless, or do like I did and use two strips of cloth from a old and thin shirt to serve as a sleeve over the two guiding strips (which are the things that cause stratching in the first place).

That was an extremely overblown issue. The vast, vast, VAST majority of Switch owners never had that problem.

The joycon desync issue is (was?) a way more widespread problem.

A tempered glass screen protector is probably a good idea regardless as the screen is plastic and could get scratched by other means if you're not careful.
This too. It really isn't "inevitably going to scratch your Switch." You would have to happen to have a bended dock, which isn't standard issue. The joy-con issue should be resolved by now, haven't heard anything about it for like 2 months, and Nintendo said they had fixed the manufacturing error.

MXRider

Obviously it depends on where you live and what stores you have access to, but it's getting to point where it's no longer surprising to see Switches in stock (where I live). Walmart, Target, Best Buy (all a 10-15 minute drive from me) have them in stock. But not the Toy R Us I went to to get another green yarn yoshi amiibo yesterday.

Screen protectors, joy cons, and pro controllers. All there. Just not the neon joy cons. I'm actually surprised Gamestop is still doing bundles.
I'n Orlando, Florida I've never seen a single switch in a store.

That was an extremely overblown issue. The vast, vast, VAST majority of Switch owners never had that problem.

The joycon desync issue is (was?) a way more widespread problem.

A tempered glass screen protector is probably a good idea regardless as the screen is plastic and could get scratched by other means if you're not careful.

The bundle I got had Zelda and a Pro Controller, two purchases I was going to make. This is just false.

You're false

If I wanted to buy Zelda, I would either use my Amazon or GCU accounts to get it got $47. If I didn't have that, I could always find the game cheaper on Ebay. Same could be said for the purchase of a pro controller.

I don't like paying the retail premium (and tax) unless required. Obviously, that's needed for the Switch console, but there is no reason to pay extra for the games and accessories.

You're false

If I wanted to buy Zelda, I would either use my Amazon or GCU accounts to get it got $47. If I didn't have that, I could always find the game cheaper on Ebay. Same could be said for the purchase of a pro controller.

I don't like paying the retail premium (and tax) unless required. Obviously, that's needed for the Switch console, but there is no reason to pay extra for the games and accessories.

What does any of that have to do with my comment lol

You said the bundles stick you with stuff you don't want, but they actually don't do that

Where did I mention Amazon discounts or anything

Stopped horsing around and got the ARMS bundle with yellow Joycon at GameStop. The storecredit was burning a hole in my pocket and there hasn't been any Switches in stock near me for over a month and I don't see that changing soon.

Will probably pick up Splatoon and Snipperclips once it's in my hands.

You're false

None of what you've just said equates to scalping by retailers who sell bundles for MSRP.

You've basically just said "I don't want to play full retail for my stuff". Ok, fair enough. But calling these bundles "just as bad as scalping" is completely false and your reasoning for saying so makes no sense.

klaushm

What are the best options of battery pack for Switch?

I saw some info about the output, USB c to USB c and fast charging, but, I want to know your personal preferences.

Found this, for instance.

Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C, Ultra-High Capacity Premium Portable Charger, 20100mAh External Battery, 6A Output Type-C Port for Macbook, Nexus, Nintendo Switch & PowerIQ for iPhone iPad & Samsung https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014ZO46LK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Good deal?

King Al B

Just got home from Walmart in Vestal, NY. Had 2 Switchs in the display case, along with a few docks. I sure the Switchs wont last long.

ReaperXL7

Problem is that what makes a bundle valuable to one person makes it potentially worthless to another. As an example in my case the Switch is for my daughters birthday, she doesn't want Zelda because you can't play as Zelda and she doesn't care about a pro controller.

She wants a Switch, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2 and Minecraft. As it stands it doesn't appear that Nintendo is going to be releasing the Splatoon bundle in the U.S unless they are still waiting to announce it.

Well we are well into July and I check Best Buy (both Canada and US) as well as Amazon and Switch is still really hard to find. Does anyone know how much Nintendo is actually stocking North America since March on a monthly basis?

klaushm

How's the situation for the Joy-Cons? Anyone that's not gray or an odd pair.

I've made sure to get the pro, so that I could have 2 fully functional controllers. I just want another pair of Joy-Cons for 3/4 players.

Zedark

Well we are well into July and I check Best Buy (both Canada and US) as well as Amazon and Switch is still really hard to find. Does anyone know how much Nintendo is actually stocking North America since March on a monthly basis?
April was 280k, May and June were both <200k. This is US only fyi.

marmoka

Banned
So I ordered a Switch at Amazon.de to deliver from Germany to Spain last Monday. According to Amazon, I'm supposed to get it this Thursday, but according to the national Spanish mail delivery company, they are delivering it now.

I don't know if I will get it today or tomorrow.

Looks like Amazon.de really works well when they ship Switches to other European countries, and they occasionally get some stock. A friend also ordered last week and he is supposed to get it today or tomorrow as well.

Slaylock

Another very satisfied iStockNow customer. Got the notification email last night and was standing in front of Target 15 minutes before opening this morning. Glad I got there early, since they only received one unit and another person was hot on my heels to grab it.

I'm still not really sure why I'm buying it. I've never owned a Nintendo console other than a Gamecube for about a year, so I don't have the nostalgia that most Nintendo fans have, but seeing Mario Odyssey pushed me over the edge. Hopefully I don't regret it.

No, but Switch was below PS4 and that could be estimated at around 200k (go to the June predictions thread for the specifics on that).
I remember that being the case for May but since you're pointing me to the prediction thread for June, wanna link a post? I couldn't find a post where Sony announced they won June.

Another very satisfied iStockNow customer. Got the notification email last night and was standing in front of Target 15 minutes before opening this morning. Glad I got there early, since they only received one unit and another person was hot on my heels to grab it.

I'm still not really sure why I'm buying it. I've never owned a Nintendo console other than a Gamecube for about a year, so I don't have the nostalgia that most Nintendo fans have, but seeing Mario Odyssey pushed me over the edge. Hopefully I don't regret it.
Hah, maybe you'll be disappointed. Probably just caught up in the crazy shortage hype. I'm sure you'd have found one come Odyssey launch.

ksamedi

Which games did you buy ? Zelda is great and well worth the purchase.

marmoka

Banned
According to amazon.de, my order is delayed: "Possible delay in delivery due to extra carrier processing. Your package is still on the way, but it will arrive later than originally expected due to a transit delay."

Crossing my fingers yo get it tomorrow. My friend didn't get his either.

Like every gaming system... look at the games and decide if it is worth the money.

Nintendo consoles (even the WiiU) always had exclusive many of the highest rated games for their generation, so they had been always a good value for gamers ;)

Slaylock

Which games did you buy ? Zelda is great and well worth the purchase.

I'm picking up Zelda and Mario Kart using my Gamestop credit. I don't remember the last time I bought a pre-owned game, but I'm getting these used so I can return them within 7 days if I don't like them. I guess I'm still a little skittish regarding Nintendo franchises.

Zedark

I remember that being the case for May but since you're pointing me to the prediction thread for June, wanna link a post? I couldn't find a post where Sony announced they won June.
Oops, I botched it. Am counting a month too many (probably because of the drone of complaints during May NPD). We don't have the announcement for June, we do have retailer reports that state that June was really bad except for ARMS' launch.

Oops, I botched it. Am counting a month too many (probably because of the drone of complaints during May NPD). We don't have the announcement for June, we do have retailer reports that state that June was really bad except for ARMS' launch.
Ahhh... I hope that June was just good enough to beat PS4. Arms did have a crazy restock, around my area at least. Many stores with 20+ units

I live in Venice FL and I just found my first neon Switch in the wild thanks to iStocknow. There were two sitting in a Target five minutes down the road from me. I literally left work that second to pick them up. lol

That being said, I thought it was interesting because the Target employee said he's been tracking their stock since the Switch came out and that location (which is one of the few spots you can buy a switch in this area) has sold no more than 25 units...total.

SlickVic

Sweet. Got one from Amazon.

I found the NowinStock.net email notification pretty helpful, as it was the first thing that notified me when it came back in at Amazon. For anyone that may be looking for a Switch the next time it goes out of stock, I'd consider subscribing to it.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I bought a neon Switch + Zelda on sale on July 1st from an Italian (arguably the biggest) retailer, it was 22% off, so a really good deal.
On the order confirmation page it said the order needed to be screened for availability, and if they had the stock they would accept the order and ship it.

They confirm the order and get the money from my credit card. I assumed it would arrive soon. Two days pass and I get Zelda in the mail, but no Switch in sight, even if on their site it says it was shipped (I didn't get a tracking code). I keep calling their customer service for an explanation, and finally today, after checking with their warehouse, they confirm my suspicion, they accepted my order, but they didn't have the neon Switch in stock. Apparently the computer said they had it when they checked, but someone sold it at the same time and it didn't show.

They said they ordered one on the 3rd, and they would ship it to me as soon as it arrived.

Fuck me. Sorry, I just wanted to rant.

Is Nintendo fast at restocking the neon Switch? Please tell me I won't have to wait for months. They just need to send one neon Switch. Just one. Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom