• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community Season 3 |OT| Six Seasons and a Movie... feels Goodman!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The move away from the classroom scenes began near the end of season 1 and definitely continued throughout season 2.

If you think the shift happened earlier, how do you explain the very few classroom/going to class scenes in season 3? Season 3 is in episode 12 already and there have been few classroom/going to class scenes unlike the first 12 episodes of season 2. The Majority of season 2 episodes had those type of scenes. Season 3 is halfway done already and only 3 episodes have had the type of scenes I mentioned.

You're a mashugana seacrest hulk!

Ladies and Gentilemen!

If you think the shift happened earlier, how do you explain the very few classroom/going to class scenes in season 3? Season 3 is in episode 12 already and there have been few classroom/going to class scenes unlike the first 12 episodes of season 2.

I explain by once again telling you that the show has never been about going to class. Class is how they met in season 1. That's it. Ever since then being in class was never the focus of the episodes. Their lives are. Their interplay with one another is the impetus behind each and every episode. By season 3 they're all quite familiar with one another's personalities etc and thus the writers need to mine other territory, thus the different types of storylines. Do I want to see them sitting in class? No. What's the appeal of that? They sit in the library together. Who cares. If the show was about classes, they wouldnt make a constant joke over how they pick an easy class for them all to be in together. Going to class is the last thing this show has on its mind, and the least interesting part of these characters lives. With the possible exception of Britta and her psych course with a textbook written by Duncan.

Brinbe

hand me my jacket
KuGsj.gif

985boi

You gotta be kidding me. Fucking local NBC blacked out when Britta saw some guy who she thought was Subway in the hall.

EDIT: Now I'm missing out on 30 Rock.

ultron87

I am so confused about the 'hand me my jacket' thing. Is there something I'm missing with this? Or was it just supposed to be weird?

big ander

What a wonderful episode, and I suspect it'll only get better in part 2. It's a nice evolution on the strongest relationship in the show with hilarity and meta-ness swirled in. Britta's B-plot was also maybe the best product placement ever on TV because it fit so organically with the character; falling in love with a corporation is the kind of contradictory thing that Britta's prone to do. Plus it was so damn funny. And the Jeff/Annie plot was great too.

Episode was all kinds of awesome. Sometimes I feel there's too much going on but they handled the three plotlines really well.

I thought the jacket thing was just a power trip but sixclaws' explanation makes more sense.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
If you think the shift happened earlier, how do you explain the very few classroom/going to class scenes in season 3? Season 3 is in episode 12 already and there have been few classroom/going to class scenes unlike the first 12 episodes of season 2. The Majority of season 2 episodes had those type of scenes. Season 3 is halfway done already and only 3 episodes have had the type of scenes I mentioned.

Or, you know, they only could get Michael K. Williams for less episodes then they thought at the beginning of the season.

big ander

Dueling fort stuff felt kind of undercooked but Britta and Subway was fucking great.

I dunno, to me it felt like the most "cooked" part of the episode. It's examining a facet of the Troy and Abed relationship that's been around for nearly two seasons and it sure looks like it'll end up evolving their friendship. I don't think we're supposed to actually feel threatened like a lot of people do; season 2 and the beginning of 3's purpose was to show that this group will never ever break up. They're stuck together, but they can morph. The fort plot promises that change while serving as a fair meta-commentary on how much Community, as a TV show, should compromise itself in order to be recognized. Hell, it comments on a plot in that episode: does putting a Subway plot in invalidate the show? Abed, in this ep, would argue that it does. He'd rather preserve an vision that hasn't been meddled with than risk a lower level of worthiness. But Troy would argue that greatness can still be achieved while bending over to serve the needs of external influences. It's the exact dilemma that Community and all bubble shows deal with as they try to both maintain their niche and grow. I'm excited to see what conclusion they come to.

Slevin

Wow that was an awesome episode. Can't ain't for part 2.

"Subway cannot stand for that and frankly Rick I'm surprised you did."

Ceebs

I dunno, to me it felt like the most "cooked" part of the episode. It's examining a facet of the Troy and Abed relationship that's been around for nearly two seasons and it sure looks like it'll end up evolving their friendship. I don't think we're supposed to actually feel threatened like a lot of people do; season 2 and the beginning of 3's purpose was to show that this group will never ever break up. They're stuck together, but they can morph. The fort plot promises that change while serving as a fair meta-commentary on how much Community, as a TV show, should compromise itself in order to be recognized. Hell, it comments on a plot in that episode: does putting a Subway plot in invalidate the show? Abed, in this ep, would argue that it does. He'd rather preserve an vision that hasn't been meddled with than risk a lower level of worthiness. But Troy would argue that greatness can still be achieved while bending over to serve the needs of external influences. It's the exact dilemma that Community and all bubble shows deal with as they try to both maintain their niche and grow. I'm excited to see what conclusion they come to.

Guinness world record for largest combination Pillow/Blanket fort.

big ander

Guinness world record for largest combination Pillow/Blanket fort.

Oh yeah, I'd certainly bet on this. It'll either be that or them destroying each others forts and saying "at least it was so great while it lasted." But in either scenario I'd expect the show's actual stance to be more nuanced and revealing about Dan Harmon's opinion on sacrifice in the creative process of making a TV show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom