• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Tragedies in Gaming History (Lost Games)

The Rogue Squadron Trilogy remastered with redone on-foot levels to improve them and online multiplayer was finished but never released after Factor 5 shut down. Also, the fourth game based around a Tie-Fighter Squadron also died with Factor 5.
Lucasarts treated Factor 5 quite badly, if rumours are to be believed. They allegedly screwed over Factor 5 during the development of Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine N64. The source for this is a former Midway employee known as "Tanooki" who attended E3 for a few years.

From here: http://www.nesworld.com/n64list-game.php?gameid=751

Look I feel I probably should put some unverifiable story here some may appreciate at least as here say but enjoy.

I worked for a couple years in the industry and as such being in CA went to E3 from 2000-2002. At the 2000 show Indiana Jones was at the back corner of the Nintendo super booth area and not really well advertised just with a lame white card, plain black print saying the game name. I went over as a big indyfan, bugged me it was empty but for one dude in a Factor 5 jacket. I introduced myself and learned a few interesting things. For starters he was the last man standing on the project. Lucas being the greedy star wars ball sucking twat he is tried to put this and Battle for Naboo out both for Christmas, but when Naboo was in threat of falling into the next year he fucked over Indy. He took the entire team short of one guy, yeah one dude, and put them on that game and got it to retail. In order to finish Indy they took a team mate who could code a bit, test a bit, create little things a bit with minimal help and gave him an unrealistic date of when to have it out. Ultimately the game well, it was finished, if you can call selling a late BETA as a retail game. The guy was mad, talked to him for like 30min tooling around with the game. Adding insult to injury he already knew come June due to the shafting his work would get little love as it was relegated to a 10000 copy run, most which were rentals. The sad unfortunate thing with the game is that as I said, it's beta, late beta. The game will run around 30-60 at a time, sometimes more if you're lucky or stage based I never figured it, but it will crawl and then die puking up this rainbow barf all over the screen and giving a loud aggravating noise. The lock is so hard, you got to turn the system off as reset gets frozen too on the system button. There are other areas you can 100% reproduce a crash too, one stage the final 'puzzle' is to move a crate from point A to B, get on it, set a piece, and use the 1man iron cart over a ravine. If you push the cart the 3 cart distances from a to b, it crashes, but if you push, pull, push then you can get through every time. Yes, the game has issues this bad, mostly just the random crashes really, the crate thing is the exception I can remember.

Needless to say the sick thing is, it's the best version of the game if you remember to save OFTEN. The PC version also ran 640x480 and the textures weren't as good, the controls and camera were wooden and broken, and the audio was poorly recorded(voices too.) The N64 w/4MB exp runs the same high res with sharper visuals, music and sfx are better and the voices clearer too which is odd, but best yet they jacked Ocarina of Time's control/camera setup and put it to Indy and it works smooth a silk.

That's the checkered history of Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine I was made aware of by the Lucasarts employee who got shafted, overworked, and screwed on his game release and the result of it. And yes I know you can find stickered up loosies often, but it still doesn't mean it's not rare, it's just less people care to hold onto it since it's fairly well broken in places. N64 games got far more than 10000 print runs, only rentals, NFRs, and promos got runs that small. It may be cheap now, but given it's Indiana Jones, when those N64 carts get NES in age I would not be surprised if the value went up as more and more are lost to sun damage, morons, age, and time.

He gets a few details wrong, mainly technical ones, but the rest is seemingly accurate, if hearsay. Infernal Machine N64 is an amazing game that is tragically simply not finished. It's unstable, buggy, and basically every cutscene has at least one noticable flaw compared to the PC original. Instead of being one of the greatest N64 titles, it's instead a really, really, really good but flawed one. But even in the state it released, it's still better than any of the Tomb Raider titles from that era, IMO. And a huge improvement over the PC version.

In a sense, the tragedy is that we were robbed of a truly sublime Indiana Jones game because Lucasarts wanted to push Battle for Naboo out the door faster, maximising profits.

MilkyJoe

GoldenEye-XBLA-2.png

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Stargate SG1 The Alliance.

We were THIS close to finally getting a real Stargate video game, and a real solid looking one at that. Cancelled super late in development. Heartbreaking. If there's one cancelled game I could somehow revive, it would be this one.

I recently heard there was a Castleroid-style Magician Lord game in development for Neo Geo Pocket Color that never released. Prototypes haven't been dumped either, there's just some scant video footage of the game.

Ah, Project Bean.

Which suddenly reminds me that Crytek pulled the plug on TimeSplitters 4. And then somehow the plug got pulled on the TimeSplitters 2 remaster which was in development around the same time.

Which brings us to TimeSplitters 2 Redux. Yes, that's its actual name. Most people know it it as the demo of TimeSplitters 2 inside Homefront: The Revolution. This was developed completely separately to the older TimeSplitters 2 remaster.

It's a "demo" that is 1.69GB and appears to contain data for every story mission, every arcade mission -- we're talking everything from music to voice acting to animation data to individual level pak archives. But you can only select two missions from a cut down main menu. It is otherwise a proper port of TS2 to XBO/PS4/PC.

2Rz0WhL.png

In my ever so 'umble opinion, the TimeSplitters 2 "demo" is the full game, but crippled so only two missions are playable.

Why would Dambuster do this? Oh, I dunno. Maybe the rights to TimeSplitters belong to the same people that killed TimeSplitters 4 and the other TimeSplitters 2 remaster. As far as I understand, the only reason this demo is even allowed to exist is because it fell under Homefront assets when the rights to Homefront were sold from Crytek to Deep Silver.

Ah, Project Bean.

Which suddenly reminds me that Crytek pulled the plug on TimeSplitters 4. And then somehow the plug got pulled on the TimeSplitters 2 remaster which was in development around the same time.

Which brings us to TimeSplitters 2 Redux. Yes, that's its actual name. Most people know it it as the demo of TimeSplitters 2 inside Homefront: The Revolution. This was developed completely separately to the older TimeSplitters 2 remaster.

It's a "demo" that is 1.69GB and appears to contain data for every story mission, every arcade mission -- we're talking everything from music to voice acting to animation data to individual level pak archives. But you can only select two missions from a cut down main menu. It is otherwise a proper port of TS2 to XBO/PS4/PC.

2Rz0WhL.png

In my ever so 'umble opinion, the TimeSplitters 2 "demo" is the full game, but crippled so only two missions are playable.

Why would Dambuster do this? Oh, I dunno. Maybe the rights to TimeSplitters belong to the same people that killed TimeSplitters 4 and the other TimeSplitters 2 remaster. As far as I understand, the only reason this demo is even allowed to exist is because it fell under Homefront assets when the rights to Homefront were sold from Crytek to Deep Silver.

I need that Timesplitters 2 remaster in my life. And TS4.

One of my favorite FPS series ever.

Borman

Stargate SG1 The Alliance.

We were THIS close to finally getting a real Stargate video game, and a real solid looking one at that. Cancelled super late in development. Heartbreaking. If there's one cancelled game I could somehow revive, it would be this one.

Not nearly as late as people think though. There were tons of missions that werent started, cutscenes not started, and terrible balance. But you can come play it at my place if you want to.

]Goldeneye

Hope to cover that one someday

There was an attempt at TimeSplitters 4 before Crytek too, but it didn't get far.

dan2026

Silent Hills not only had Del Toro and Kojima involved, but Junji Ito as well.
The Japanese master of fucking horror!

Not tragedy will ever outstrip this. It would have been a game too perfect for our imperfect world.

ViciousDS

Banned
The Legend of Dragoon 2

While The Legend of Dragoon's imminent release onto the PSN is news in and of itself (it will come out on May 1st for a yet-undisclosed sum of money), even bigger news was tucked away in the post. It appears that a sequel to the game was once in development.

"I still occasionally hear from fans of The Legend of Dragoon, and many want to know if there is a sequel," Yoshida admitted. "LOD2 was put into preproduction after I left the Japan Studio, but was eventually cancelled for some unknown reason, and the team members moved on to different projects."

So depressing

Top Bottom