• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Pre-Order Trailer (out August 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guess Who

Banned
Still, why couldn't the spin dash have a dedicated button, Sonic 3D Blast got it right and that game was less speed more exploration?

Sonic is designed to be a one-button game.

That, and making you stop to do a spin-dash is how they balance it, otherwise why would you not spin dash over and over forever? Generations's spin dash is hilariously broken in part because of this.

Ramune

Anyone ask if the Sega Saturn USB pad should be recognized with the PC version. Definitely going to play it with that on Day 1 if it's feasible!

4c9b1befdb94f_137501b.jpg

That, and making you stop to do a spin-dash is how they balance it, otherwise why would you not spin dash over and over forever? Generations's spin dash is hilariously broken in part because of this.

It could've been like in Sonic Adventure 2 where you had to hold down the button for an entire second before Sonic starts revving up and you wouldn't go far if you barely charged it

But you know the whole 1 button gameplay never hampered my experience with S3&K, it's just personal nitpick.

Anyone ask if the Sega Saturn USB pad should be recognized with the PC version. Definitely going to play it with that on Day 1 if it's feasible!

I still need to find one of these, and Steam has support for custom bindings with all kinds of controllers, DirectInput devices like the USB Saturn Pad included, so I don't see why you couldn't use it with Sonic Mania

RagnarokX

1 Button Spin Dash is not in Sonic Mania, it's kind of not needed since the Drop Dash exists, but the option would've been nice

Funny how for a series all about keeping up the speed, its trademark move requires you to completely stop in place

The spindash isn't meant to be used that way, and not understanding that has contributed to the poor design of Sonic games over the past 24 years. The spindash is meant for when you mess up or otherwise do something that makes you stop. If you're keeping your speed why would you need to use a move that is meant to get you up to speed? You're already going fast. And if you're already going fast you just press down and you roll. If you roll down hills you go even more fasterer.

The idea that the games are about going fast is marketing bs, anyway, that Sega themselves unfortunately bought into.

Guess Who

Banned
It could've been like in Sonic Adventure 2 where you had to hold down the button for an entire second before Sonic starts revving up and you wouldn't go far if you barely charged it

But you know the whole 1 button gameplay never hampered my experience with S3&K, it's just personal nitpick.

Balancing the spindash was absolutely an issue in the Adventure games. If you've ever seen a speedrun of either Adventure game, it basically consists of spindashing for as much of a level as possible.

The spindash isn't meant to be used that way, and not understanding that has contributed to the poor design of Sonic games over the past 24 years. The spindash is meant for when you mess up or otherwise do something that makes you stop. If you're keeping your speed why would you need to use a move that is meant to get you up to speed? You're already going fast.

The idea that the games are about going fast is marketing bs, anyway, that Sega themselves unfortunately bought into.

Yup. Spindash in classic Sonic is a "I lost all my momentum for some reason and want to get some back" mechanic, not a "gotta go fast" mechanic.

RagnarokX

The hilariously broken spindash in Generations is basically a band aid trying to cover up the atrocious rolling physics of that game.

PettyScaredCockerspaniel.gif

Maou

Sonic CD inspired special stages? Excellent news.

I had depth perception issues in the Taxman version of CD as well as the original, it better be greatly improved or I'm going to struggle. 3D models should certainly help though.
I hope so. The Taxman version of CD is generally very impressive, but his take on the special stages was unplayably different and fast compared with the original version...and I could do them effortlessly on the MCD because the power is in my mind to save the planet and conquer tiiiiiime

Guess Who

Banned
I hope so. The Taxman version of CD is generally very impressive, but his take on the special stages was unplayably different and fast compared with the original version...and I could do them effortlessly on the MCD because the power is in my mind to save the planet and conquer tiiiiiime

I didn't have a problem with his special stages - they mostly just play at 60fps instead of, like, 15 fps on the original.

Speaking of unplayably different and fast, though, the Sonic Gems Collection port of CD upped the framerate without compensating gameplay logic to match, which... well:

https://youtu.be/VwKs6b8BIvI?t=263

VariantX

The hilariously broken spindash in Generations is basically a band aid trying to cover up the atrocious rolling physics of that game.

PettyScaredCockerspaniel.gif

I wonder what makes the classic physics so difficult to recreate...assuming there was an attempt made to recreate them in modern sonic games with classic sonic mode. I thought at this point people pretty much knew games like the classic sonics and mario world inside an out by now.

I wonder what makes the classic physics so difficult to recreate...assuming there was an attempt made to recreate them in modern sonic games with classic sonic mode. I thought at this point people pretty much knew games like the classic sonics and mario world inside an out by now.

I think recreate physic is not that difficult. Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic 3D Blast Bonus Stage emulte classic Sonic physic just fine.

I'm sure Taxman can recreate the classic physics in a 3D world aswell.

Why Sega dont do that, IDK

Ash735

> Direct sequel to 3&K
> Eggman is now depressed
> Hard Boiled Heavies arrive
> Animated cutscene for Intro
> In-game cutscenes throughout
> As long as Sonic 3 & Knuckles

I'm just extremely happy with the direction this is going in.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Do we know about Switch performance?

I want native 720p/locked 60fps when in handheld mode. If that's the case, I'll do it for Switch.

If not, I guess I'll go PC.

1 Button Spin Dash is not in Sonic Mania, it's kind of not needed since the Drop Dash exists, but the option would've been nice

Funny how for a series all about keeping up the speed, its trademark move requires you to completely stop in place

Alright. I remember one button spin dash had quite a few fans so I may have thought it was added in based on that.

I liked it in Generations but the point was made on how it was there to account the level design and weird rolling physics that game had. Certainly not torn up about it.

Blues1990

I want native 720p/locked 60fps when in handheld mode. If that's the case, I'll do it for Switch.

Can't see why the system would be incapable of hitting those specs, as Sonic Mania doesn't look like a taxing game.

J@hranimo

Banned

Look at the game and then think about the power of the Switch. You shouldn't have anything to worry about :)

Guess Who

Banned
The "native resolution" of the game is like, 424x240. It's all sprite-based except for a low-poly 3D special stage designed to look like a Sega Saturn game. I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch could run this at 4K/60.

RagnarokX

Considering a multitude of fan games and even Sonic Advance 1 made by DIMPS (the guys that brought us the horrible physics ala Sonic Rush) got it right I think it's more that they just don't care. Dimps made an awful physics engine for Boost Sonic cuz why would you ever roll with Boost Sonic? And then those physics infected every game made after.

Part of the depth of classic sonic comes from the subtly different physics when rolling. Acceleration is different (downhill, doesn't respect inputs so much), jumping is different on slopes. And obviously you don't have to worry about enemies as much. If you can insta-spindash it makes the tradeoff pretty pointless.

dlauv

> Direct sequel to 3&K
> Eggman is now depressed
> Hard Boiled Heavies arrive
> Animated cutscene for Intro
> In-game cutscenes throughout
> As long as Sonic 3 & Knuckles

I'm just extremely happy with the direction this is going in.

They said they were just spitballing depressed Eggman and not that it's what they're going with, iirc.

RomanceDawn

I figured as much, thought I'd give it a shot. I'll probably just cancel the collector's edition then.

Anyone got info on the vinyl for us Americans?

According to the Mania panel yesterday this weekend is the only time to preorder the special addition vinyl.

I live in the US and preordered the special and the blue. So yes, order it now while you can, it will cost international shipping to get it to America but it's reasonable.

yes, and deservedly so

game sucks ass

I'll never forget staying up till like 3AM for the game to release on XBLA. First 5 minutes of me playing was the most deflating shit since I'd kept myself in the dark prior to the release. Then the game had like 3 stages or something. Just garbage.

Ristifer

I'll never forget staying up till like 3AM for the game to release on XBLA. First 5 minutes of me playing was the most deflating shit since I'd kept myself in the dark prior to the release. Then the game had like 3 stages or something. Just garbage.
I had a similar experience, but I kept trying to convince myself that it was actually good. Needless to say, I failed, and decided it was a piece of shit.

It was pretty annoying how badly they flopped with Sonic 4. It's frustrating just saying "Sonic 4" as a major fan.

marmoka

Banned
Does anyone know how to preorder the Switch version? It is not available in the eShop yet.

I hardly ever preorder games, but this one looks so good...

Given the different nature of this game's dev team, I wonder how future games will handle callbacks to this game

Like Smash Bros or another Generations style game. Would they add Mania music to Sonic and Mario Olympics?

bede-x

It's not that they are difficult to recreate, it's that they don't want to. Modern Sonic games like Generations are more focused on the cinematic aspect and taking control away from the player in many instances, not just the long stretches but minor things like tunnels, springs and small hills are "scripted". Having physics like the originals would require more from the player and the idea in many of the modern games is to propel the player forward - as in the right direction - regardless of what the player is actually doing.

Berordn

Given the different nature of this game's dev team, I wonder how future games will handle callbacks to this game

Like Smash Bros or another Generations style game. Would they add Mania music to Sonic and Mario Olympics?

I imagine that all hinges on success. Given the amount of attention it's getting now they'd be stupid not to acknowledge it in future games.

But they gave the crossover attention freely to Sonic 4 and we know how that turned out so...

I can see the dev team making a Mania sequel then moving on. As much as they love Sonic, I can't imagine any of them want to be stuck making iterations of the same franchise forever. Coincidentally, I think that's why Sonic Team keeps trying to change things up. Taking what people like from one game and making it again and again might result in better games but it's creatively limiting.

I imagine that all hinges on success. Given the amount of attention it's getting now they'd be stupid not to acknowledge it in future games.

But they gave the crossover attention freely to Sonic 4 and we know how that turned out so...
They even had a Sonic Chronicles reference in one of the Mario&Sonic games, I'm sure they'll reference Mania. Hell, Sonic Forces already is using the spring animation and drop dash.

Berordn

They even had a Sonic Chronicles reference in one of the Mario&Sonic games, I'm sure they'll reference Mania. Hell, Sonic Forces already is using the spring animation and drop dash.

This would be the first I've heard of drop dash in Forces, but that's cool if so.

I'm guessing they're Act 2 bosses since Green Hill's first act boss wasn't one.

They're not the bosses for every zone either, GHZ Act 2's boss is piloted by Eggman.

Does anyone know how to preorder the Switch version? It is not available in the eShop yet.

I hardly ever preorder games, but this one looks so good...

Switch doesn't have preordering/preloading yet afaik. It'll likely be live mid-day (hopefully, if not sooner) on 8/15.

Tizoc

Old post but here are my notes from the SDCC panel just a few hours ago. They talked about the Super Emeralds.

Sonic Mania Panel

1 - 1 year anniversary of Mania Announcement trailer today.
2 - First meeting in 2016. Sonic Discovery was the original title.
3 - Iizuka writes Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, S&K on a board and then Sonic Mania.
4 - "By the Mania for the Mania" is something Iizuka kept saying.
5 - 2nd story revision. What has Eggman been up to after 3&K? He falls into depression, no will to fight Sonic, goes back to base in pajamas. What happened to all the Badniks after he left? Then 3 words, Hard Boiled Heavies.
4 - Length longer than 1, 2, 3 and K. Comparable to 3&K, and with more game modes. They think we will be happy with the length.
5 - Keep records of favorite bugs. (I forgot why I typed this, I know they kept records of their favorite bugs and showed us a few, hilarious, not sure if we can)
6 - Special stage - Sonic 1 back ground, looks like CD with 3&K spheres. Get blue spheres, go faster, catch UFO. Get emerald.
7 - Rings increase timer to catch UFO.
8 - true to how Saturn would render 3D.
9 - Dimension heist music. I like it! Going to grow on people. YouTube soon.
10 - Has Sprite cut scenes between stages 3&K style.
11 - Animated short, full animation for the opening of the game. Like CD. aug 14th release.
12 - I got this amazing classic style game manual! Some goons walked out early and missed it! That'll learn em! This thing is nice!
13 - Only this weekend can you preorder the special addition clear vinal of the sound track.
14 - No Super Emeralds. Iizuka felt like they would have to keep 1 upping themselves after that so they decided to go back to Super and just cap it there.

sca0iYs.jpg

Nice throwback.

These points are kinda putting Iizuka in a positive light, I've lately been of the impression that Iizuka was a bad influence on some games in the franchise this past decade :X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom