• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think there are Warcraft mods that should be expanded on outside DOTA and MOBAs

Back in school when I was in DOTA LAN parties all the time I remember there being great Custom Maps/Mods outside DOTA that atleast I havent seen any new games or modes in games taking those ideas.

I remember the 300 map that was great co-op and felt like no other co-op/horde game , Pimp my peon , Island troll tribes, Pudge War, etc.

While i dont think those have the same mass appeal as DOTA I think it would be great if there were more games like those.

Isocr4cy

Life of a Peasant and DBZ Tribute Ultra were my jam back in the day. Really miss those days, I remember playing DBZ Tribute Ultra non-stop, it's probably the most addicted I've been to a 'game' outside of WoW, lol.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dota 2 has pudge wars but it's just not the same.

Give me tree tag enting and X hero siege.

Life of a Peasant and DBZ Tribute Ultra were my jam back in the day. Really miss those days, I remember playing DBZ Tribute Ultra non-stop, it's probably the most addicted I've been to a 'game' outside of WoW, lol.

Fucking yes man, Life of a Peasant was great fun and the anime inspired maps were too, I remember a bleach one that was like an arena and everyone had crazy powers.

Moonlight

Banned
Azeroth Wars, baby.
Was just about to say. Lost so many hours to this. A more professional version would be incredible.

Though you'd lose something, I think, without that element of reliving the world history of Azeroth itself and exploring the various alternate outcomes.

Finaj

Was just about to say. Lost so many hours to this. A more professional version would be incredible.

Though you'd lose something, I think, without that element of reliving the world history of Azeroth itself and exploring the various alternate outcomes.

Blizzard should just make an official version using the SC2 engine, maybe with proper voice acting. Instead of different gametypes, there would be a variety of time periods available, including all 3 wars and WoW.

You have no idea how much I miss DBZ tribute ultra.
Like, holy fuck, sometimes I just have this CRAVING of playing this map. The best days I used to have was when I got a good game going for like 2 and a half hours, everyone just leveling up and not ending it earlier.
It's a blasphemy that no one tried to "port it" to DOTA 2

Lucumo

Fucking yes man, Life of a Peasant was great fun and the anime inspired maps were too, I remember a bleach one that was like an arena and everyone had crazy powers.

Bleach vs One Piece?

Battleships was pretty great. There were also lots of good RPGs.

And of course tons of maps like this for some quick fun:
di-IELEKI.gif

Co-op tower defense, specifically Wintermaul and its countless variants, was the biggest staple of the WC3 scene outside of DotA. It has never been properly succeeded by the TD design that migrated to Flash and later mobile—not in build diversity, positional role-playing, cooperative mazing, or any of the things that imbued the format with such considerable variety.

Also, Battleships was a better form of what we now call MOBA than DotA ever was, especially if your crew had someone who really understood how to play the Trader.

lordy88

Co-op tower defense, specifically Wintermaul and its countless variants, was the biggest staple of the WC3 scene outside of DotA. It has never been properly succeeded by the TD design that migrated to Flash and later mobile—not in build diversity, positional role-playing, cooperative mazing, or any of the things that imbued the format with such considerable variety.

Seriously. I've been so disappointed that we haven't gotten a proper Wintermaul clone in the 10+ years it came out.

The mazing in particular never gets implemented well.

tbm24

Seriously. I've been so disappointed that we haven't gotten a proper Wintermaul clone in the 10+ years it came out.

The mazing in particular never gets implemented well.
Any ideas what the best alternatives would be? I used to play wintermaul and it's variants, in particular the FF7 one, for so many hours. I stopped playing the other hero mods all together until Dota took me over.

DOTA 2 has some TD's that popped up. The problem is Valve being Valce introduced the Arcade Feature and then promptly abandoned supporting it so a lot of the more ambitious mods were abandoned. I still play GemTD almost daily (mostly solo since I hate the co-op design) and played the crap out of Element TD when it first came out. Both were hugely popular TD's in the WC3 days.

Style

Banned
I don't understand why Hero Siege or the Helms Deep maps haven't spurred a similar game mode in Dota 2/League Of Legends. Some kind of horde mode. Missed opportunity if you ask me.

I don't understand why Hero Siege or the Helms Deep maps at hasn't spurred a similar game mode in Dota 2/League Of Legends. Some kind of horde mode.

It could be done in DOTA 2, but it requires a lot of work and Valve has been really bad about supporting the community since releasing the arcade feature. LoL doesn't have any kind of framework for doing custom game modes like that--and from everything I've seen no desire to do such. I mean, Siltbreaker is pretty close to a Horde Mode--you're constantly facing a barrage of enemies through the beginning. It plays closer to an ARPG though, as movement is hugely important since a lot of the attacks are choreographed.

Matthew23

Played countless hours of Arguille's (sp?) tower defence. It was always a lot of fun until the first air wave came and wiped the group out because no one built lightning towers. The android games are good time wasters but not much more.

The RPGs were good. I would love to see Blizzard make a goofy campaign with Heroes of the Storm. Isn't Valve doing this for Dota?

I probably spent the most time with the various castle defence maps with each player defending a lane. I don't know if you could do much with this in modern games.

WC3 needs a remaster sooner than later. Probably my favorite game ever.

WC3 custom games were my shit back in the day, I miss it. So many good times. Tower/hero defenses, online RPG's, werewolf transylvania, orc gladiators, etc.

Zoator

I made a bunch of tower defense games for WC3 back in the day, and I definitely feel like that genre in particular never got the love it needed outside of mods. The standalone TD games that exist today are good, but still a far cry from the plethora of diverse and creative maps that could be found in WC3. Fortunately, I know a few fellow mappers from WC3 who are working on standalone projects now (myself included), so maybe we'll see some better representation in the future.

Laiza

There are so many intriguing game types in the WC3 and SC custom map scene that it's actually kind of criminal that so many of them are overlooked.

Footmen Frenzy and Wintermaul come to mind here in particular. You'd think it wouldn't be that hard to make some simple clones that take the best parts of each, but so far we've got nothin'. It's a real bloody shame.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Enfos Team Survival

Zoator TD

Good times

I loved all the TD maps (like element TD and line tower wars) and that one island map where it was 8 players vs a titan.

Wc3 was so fantastic for the custom maps

Zesh

This thread has been a huge nostalgia trip. WC3 custom maps were so fucking good; spent countless hours just messing around and playing random stuff with friends back in the day.

Dota got copied very successfully but other extremely popular custom games like Footman Frenzy, WinterMaul, WinterMaul Wars, DBZ Tribute, X Hero Siege, Island Troll Tribes, Hero Line Wars, Island Defense, Orc Gladiators and Helms Deep never really got their due.

There's a fantastic treasure trove of stuff there that's still untapped.

Syf

Banned
There's still a lot to be drawn from the WC3 custom scene for sure. They're making SC's old UMS compatible with the StarCraft remaster and improving the map maker there; hopefully they go the same route whenever WC3 gets patched and added to the launcher.

Zaru

So many game types that, even if not capable of carrying their own game or genre, would be amazing distractions as alternate game modes in moba/arena type games.

-Team-based tower defense like the Mauls, ENFO and such
-Proper mazing TD
-Footy
-Free roaming rpg or survival where you level up and take on quests/events with crazy power inflation (the dbz maps fall under this, plus many others like NotD)
-Maze/Runner escape
-3 team Moba

And so many more.
Man, those years were a golden era where one game (wc3) was all you needed to cover your diverse gaming needs.

NewGame

Banned
Builders Vs Fighters
One person builds all the units and sends it to a player to micro

Sniperz
You play as Ghosts in Starcraft, you have to reveal vision on the map and get the drop on other players

Ninja Wars
Starcraft, you play as 3 Dark Templars with a single observer and try to find everyone elses templars to kill them before they find yours.

I STILL cannot get a decent tower defense game with the depth and interest of Starcrafts bajillion maps.

Strings

WHERE'S MY SLIDE NINJA SLIDE GAME!?

But seriously, I'm actually a little curious as to why we haven't seen any co-op 'platformers' in that vein.

Was super fun backtracking to save friends, trying to get everyone across the finish line, no matter how much they sucked.

maaaan I loved Island Troll Tribes.

Parasite was my other staple. Also Starship Troopers(?) I think it was called, the one where you could save and load your character with a code (or was that Day of the Dead or something?)

;_;

Top Bottom