• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21:9 Gaming Thread | That cinematic feel

Evo X

Any one know if there's a way to get the Witcher 2 to support 21:9?

This is what I found on widescreen gaming forum. Great resource to bookmark for the future.

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/witcher-2-assassins-kings

Beyond Flawless Widescreen, skipclarke found this solution:

"I had an NVIDIA video card installed, so it would detect the GPU and offer Surround. I had three 1920x1080p panels set up as Surround, with the 21:9 set as the 4th "accessory" display.

Even with the 21:9 set as primary, the game would offer me the Surround resolutions, as it detected them on the card. I chose 3x 5:4-Portrait. This was right close to the 21:9, just slightly wider."

MRORANGE

How is it for fighting games such as SF4?

Most fighting games won't support 21:9 aspect ratio's due to the nature of the game mechanics depending on the fighting area. SF4 in this case set to 21:9 is letterboxed from 16:9 so the top half and bottom half are cut off, not really ideal tbh.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
I can overclock it to 76Hz with my current cable (HDMI), maybe more with displayport.

25% less FPS is the worst case scenario, because you have 33% more pixels. With my GTX770 4GB I lost around 20% FPS.
I'm having no luck overclocking my 34um95 so far. Did you have to adjust timings or anything? I can't even get to 62hz without the screen turning pink. I'm using the displayport cable that came with the monitor. Maybe the 34 inch panel is just not as overclockable? It looks great at 60hz but I would love to get it up to 75. I'm running amd cards in crossfire. If anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I recently decided to add a third monitor to my desktop due to now running with dual PCs.

Seeing this thread lead me to really look into those 21:9 monitors. In the end, it came down to a choice between the 21:9 LG 34UM95 and the 32" 16:9 BenQ BL3200PT.

I absolutely love the idea of a 21:9 aspect ratio but the monitor is limited by the fact that it uses an IPS display which I can no longer stand.

The BenQ is a really unique panel in the sense that it is the only 1440p panel utilizing VA (AMVA specifically) in existence. Nearly every other 1440p display is IPS (or some derivative). It's also 32" so it's huge and supports rotation.

As expected, then, while it's still a ways away from matching the best plasmas or OLED displays it's dramatically darker than any IPS panel on the market. I've heard people refer to it as "IPS glow" but really it applies to all non-VA technologies. The difference between them is truly night and day. It's actually made LCDs more tolerable to me now. If you've been using TN or IPS panels for years you may have forgotten what decent contrast looks like. I think it's perhaps the single most important consideration when looking at displays.

I suppose with such a wide aspect ratio the LG went IPS for viewing angles, but really, the latest AMVA panels are nearly as good in this regard.

I played with the LG a bit, however, and it is an impressive monitor. If I could afford two new monitors I would love owning both but, really, IPS is just such a huge turn-off at this point. Until OLED monitors exist it seems that modern VA panels are the way to go.

It should be noted that the tiny but awesome Eizo Forgis fg2421 also uses a VA panel and is able to drive it at a much higher refresh. Its lower resolution and size kept me away but it's a killer display in terms of performance.

While I prefer the Kuro for gaming with a pad, this new BenQ is pretty killer for desktop gaming. It impressed me enough that I went ahead and grabbed a new video card (780ti) to drive it more easily.

Horp

Wider screen -> wider fov -> more/worse distortion.
16:9 is distorted enough for me. Nothing wider until I get a curved screen and games that properly support this.

Faith

Any way to fix Mass Effect 3? While playing it's ok but the dialogs are in 16:9 and the menu is kind of broken (cut up and below).

FlawlessWidescreen shows no effect and WidescreenFixer doesn't work also.

MRORANGE

Does this work well with Dolphin?

Most games should support it, HUDS might get screwed:

21:9

dolphin2014-02-0714-4jmigk.jpg

EDIT: I didn't think Most Wanted was very fun to play, honestly. Especially not in single-player.

you need to play around with the options, here's a thread where you can see more of the results: http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=19586&start=10&view=print

JoshHood

Well if its The Order 1886 , I doubt it would be that much butchered.
No different than upscaling the image.

Yeah, that was kinda my point - can the monitor's natively upscale like that (in which case, for The Order it would match aspect ratio-wise)? I know most TVs have zoom-style remapping features, but monitors in my experience seem to very rarely do.

I'd personally wait until more 3440x1440 monitors come to market and the prices stabilize. I tested the asus mx299q and while it was a good panel, 1080p isn't enough vertical resolution, and it cost more than the u2713hm.

Unfortunately most games do not work straight out of the box with 21:9, and while you can fix some of them with third party tools, it's hardly ever without problems. And trust me I've done plenty of fixing games for eyefinity, and the problems are the same for the most part. So depending on the game you'd have to settle for a 22" 16:9 1080p image. Given the cost of the monitor, it's not really worth it for the few games that work without massive configuration hassle and waiting for community fixes that might not come. Few developers care about non-standard aspect ratio support.

Rafterman

Banned
I'd personally wait until more 3440x1440 monitors come to market and the prices stabilize. I tested the asus mx299q and while it was a good panel, 1080p isn't enough vertical resolution, and it cost more than the u2713hm.

Unfortunately most games do not work straight out of the box with 21:9, and while you can fix some of them with third party tools, it's hardly ever without problems. And trust me I've done plenty of fixing games for eyefinity, and the problems are the same for the most part. So depending on the game you'd have to settle for a 22" 16:9 1080p image. Given the cost of the monitor, it's not really worth it for the few games that work without massive configuration hassle and waiting for community fixes that might not come. Few developers care about non-standard aspect ratio support.

I guess it's up to the individual, but I've had my Asus MX299Q for about four days now and I love it. I was already coming from a 1080p screen and the vertical resolution is the same so even if I had a problem with a game running it at it's native res it would still be exactly the same size as my old monitor, just with black bars on the side. Of course, I've yet to play a game that didn't run at native resolution, most of which (three dozen or so) have run without any tweaking at all, with only one or two needing Flawless Widescreen/Widescreen Fixer to work properly. I'm not seeing the massive configuration hassles and problems you mention, but maybe we just play different games?

Anyway, I was apprehensive at first due to coming from a 120hz monitor, but after a few days of playing games I fell in love. The extra width is really immersive for any game, and MMOs, which I play quite a bit, really shine due to being able to move chat, quest logs, etc. to the edges while keeping most of the screen clutter free. Of course it's not 120hz, which sucks, but it does overclock to 85hz with no frame dropping which helps. Overall I'm pleasantly surprised, I wasn't even in the market for one of these monitors until I saw this thread and bought it on an impulse and now I can't see going back to a non-ultra widescreen for gaming, it was well worth the money IMO.

zbarron

What a coincidence. I just put my projector into a near 21:9 resolution yesterday. It's resolution is at 1920x820 (Native 1920x1080.) It works really well and that's still a good size resolution to work with. It also cuts my total lumen output slightly and I go from a 120" screen to a 113" one but I think it's worth it and I can always change back if I desire.

20140623_185219h2j0y.jpg

20140623_1948254mjf5.jpg

Sorry for crappy low light cell phone pics.

Human_me

Yeah, that was kinda my point - can the monitor's natively upscale like that (in which case, for The Order it would match aspect ratio-wise)? I know most TVs have zoom-style remapping features, but monitors in my experience seem to very rarely do.

I can't speak for all monitors, but I know all LG ones do.

DSN2K

thought I'd see what 21:9 gaming was about so I tried a rather unorthodox attempt with 2 displays. Eyefinity works quite well to achieve sync between what is 2 different displays in size. Not something I'd keep since the brezil is annoying, but its a good experiment to see what it would be like and I'm impressed. I tried Far Cry 3 and Watch Dogs.

DSN2K

found a more logical way with Portrait/Landscape setup, Also means middle of the screen doesn't hit the Bezel making it a much better experience.

Resolution in Windows mode typically comes up around 2550/1050 what performs just fine on R280x.

Definitely be picking up 21:9 display at the end of the year now, I'm convinced. Its a shame the consoles don't support it.

Human_me

found a more logical way with Portrait/Landscape setup, Also means middle of the screen doesn't hit the Bezel making it a much better experience.

Resolution in Windows mode typically comes up around 2550/1050 what performs just fine on R280x.

Interesting setup. I would of never of thought that you could do that. Cool work!

Definitely be picking up 21:9 display at the end of the year now, I'm convinced. Its a shame the consoles don't support it.

Yeah it is a shame consoles don't support it.
The PS4 would be great with The Order (though you could use a zoom function on a monitor if it has it)
The Xbox One would be great with the snap functionality.
A full 1080p game on one side, the remainder used for the Snap functionality (You could put up Achievement tracking, friends/messages or Internet Explorer.)

Then you have blu-ray movies which obviously have a nice advantage with 21:9 screens (no Black Bars!).
But alas until the 21:9 properly takes off we most likely won't see much support for it.

This is probably a dumb question, but if I hooked my PS4 up to a 21:9 would it cause any problems?

Edit: I'm planning on getting it for Photoshop, After Effects, and such, but would like being able to play games on it as well.

Sigh...

You can put me in the "I shouldn't have clicked this thread" group.

I am absolutely in love with this monitor right now. Need this in my life.

MRORANGE

Please tell me your ways. We get jack shit for the PC Thread :p

Honestly I have no idea, I just contacted them for info on release dates and somehow they thought I was a reviewer... I don't even have a blog.

Well I've put my details down it should come in the next month, I'll be sure to give my feedback of the thing in this thread if it arrives.

tesqui

Just bought a 21:9 25" IPS monitor (Yes I know that's incredibly small for a 21:9 but it's still really fucking rad.) a couple days ago and I'm in love with it.

Here's a few screens from the games i've been playing with it.

Plus the fact that i was coming from a TN monitor makes this thing even more amazing.

I have had the LG monitor in the OP for a little over 3 weeks now, it is seriously a fantastic monitor.

WoW felt like a whole new game to me when I played it in 21:9.

Games like DOTA 2, however, have some annoying HUD scaling issues, but I have gotten used to it. Crossing my fingers that Valve will eventually fix it.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
This monitor seems to be available for $1300 on amazon by other sellers and basically everywhere else on the internet. The version I ordered on amazon has the price locked in at $1000 but its been on back-order forever ;_; I'm wondering if I should keep waiting or just drop another $450 and get it from other sellers.

I have had the LG monitor in the OP for a little over 3 weeks now, it is seriously a fantastic monitor.

WoW felt like a whole new game to me when I played it in 21:9.

Games like DOTA 2, however, have some annoying HUD scaling issues, but I have gotten used to it. Crossing my fingers that Valve will eventually fix it.

what GPU are you driving it with? I got a R9 290 recently to get ready for mine.

This monitor seems to be available for $1300 on amazon by other sellers and basically everywhere else on the internet. The version I ordered on amazon has the price locked in at $1000 but its been on back-order forever ;_; I'm wondering if I should keep waiting or just drop another $450 and get it from other sellers.

what GPU are you driving it with? I got a R9 290 recently to get ready for mine.

GPU I have is a GTX 780. Your R9 290 is a good choice for it imo

DOWN

Banned
I was so glad to hear about the order being in 21:9 and now I'm so jealous about all the other games I've seen here in 21:9. I need more than I was previously excited to have.

Human_me

This is probably a dumb question, but if I hooked my PS4 up to a 21:9 would it cause any problems?

Edit: I'm planning on getting it for Photoshop, After Effects, and such, but would like being able to play games on it as well.

Nahh you shouldn't have any problems.

Minus the black bars on the sides.

Dr Dogg

Hahaha you jammy git ORANGE, I now a couple of peeps who have been waiting months on their orders that still haven't been fulfilled yet. Can't wait to hear some thorough impressions, both general and work use as well as gaming performance. I've heard there have been a few issues with signal cutout over 60hz on these and the ASUS 4k monitors due to Displayport 1.2 bandwidth issues but driver updates from GPU vendors seem to be fixing that.

Im looking at the 29" 21:9 monitors and I kind of like the Dell one but haven't seen much talk about it. Does anyone have an opinion on the Dell versus say the Asus or LG?

Faith

Im looking at the 29" 21:9 monitors and I kind of like the Dell one but haven't seen much talk about it. Does anyone have an opinion on the Dell versus say the Asus or LG?
Better picture quality but more input lag. Not really something for games.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
GPU I have is a GTX 780. Your R9 290 is a good choice for it imo

Di you get a VESA mount for yours or are you making do with the oem stand? How restrictive is it? I've owned nothing but 24 inch dell monitors for the past 10 years and have grown to really enjoy the ability to tilt my monitor 90 degrees.

Honestly I have no idea, I just contacted them for info on release dates and somehow they thought I was a reviewer... I don't even have a blog.

Well I've put my details down it should come in the next month, I'll be sure to give my feedback of the thing in this thread if it arrives.

That's pretty awesome/lucky.

Has anyone seen the 34UM65 in person? Wana know how the 2560 x 1080 resolution looks like at that size since its $400 cheaper then the 34UM95.

I went and looked at it, but didn't pull the trigger and now I'm regretting it. Hopefully we will see more deals like this in the future.

Top Bottom