• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC DLC!!! (Play as Vergil)

Yuterald

Activion NOT milking their products???

3147829_o.gif

Almost as unlikely as Capcom not milking the Vergil fanbase.

Hah, like I said, it is a scenario that is least likely to happen. If it did happen, things would definitely change though.

ArjanN

I'm being realistic, they had no way to release content back then other than a physical release. You want to put everything in the package because you don't know if you'll get another chance at ever including new content. Game was successful and got a greatest hits version, they made it a director's cut version with extra content that was made AFTER the initial versions success.

This is content being held back that's already completed. They are showing it to you already but you can't have it for your 60$. That's pretty fucking bad.

I'm not the biggest fan of DLC, but I know why they do it. Game budgets have gotten bigger every generation.

The fact that it's already done is pretty irrelevant IMO. Capcom can choose to charge whatever they want for it, it's up to everyone individually to decide if they want to pay for it or not.

sleepykyo

Only way DLC goes out of practice is if someone comes up with a way to milk their games in a more devious fashion.

DLC is never going away then. Though the various f2p models should be in full swing next gen. Oh Capcom could add itemization and a RMAH to DmC2.

Stinger takes 15 style points. Red queen can roll anything between 3-5 style points gain per slash.

Yuterald

The difference is that the DMC 3 team put everything that they had done into the original version, the SE content was not sitting there fully developped but locked behind a pay wall. The game ended up being a hit but had some issues (difficulty was singled out in reviews) so they had the team work on a director's cut kind of version with extra content. This DLC is completed or in VERY advanced stages of development, it's all planned out from the start, paraded in front of you but blocked behind a pay or preorder wall.

It's disgusting. And beyond all those issues did anyone even look at the trailer? Looks like complete and utter shit, I was actualy playing DMC 3 this morning and this is a travesty. Anyone trying to convince themselves that this looks great should go play 3 or even 4 again.

What a fucking joke!

Oh, I totally get the difference, dude. I was just originally commenting on the fact that Capcom has done re-releases before so it shouldn't come as a surprise to most. Yeah, what they are doing here can be summed up as "Same bullshit, different angle/approach."

I plan to fully simulate the DMCSE experience by waiting until I can get this game *and* the DLC for a total price of $30 less than the original game's MSRP. So, once its price drops to $20.

I'm pretty sure Capcom's gonna flood the channel with this game, so I won't have to wait long.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I plan to fully simulate the DMCSE experience by waiting until I can get this game *and* the DLC for a total price of $30 less than the original game's MSRP. So, once its price drops to $20.

I'm pretty sure Capcom's gonna flood the channel with this game, so I won't have to wait long.

If you really wanted to simulate it, you'd have to wait for the game to drop to $11. $11+9 DLC.

The op should update the fact that this is free dlc upon pre order.

Also, alex jones confirmed there is no on disc DLC at a panal. Think it was pax or gamescon.

If you really wanted to simulate it, you'd have to wait for the game to drop to $11. $11+9 DLC.

I should mention that for many people, such as Canadians, greatest hits games cost 30 dollars on the ps2, not twenty. That's where a lot of this 30/20 dollar confusion is coming from.

Dahbomb

It just hit me that this DLC is what I have always wanted in the DMC storyline.

The journey of Vergil in hell after DMC3 towards his eventual fight and downfall against Mundus. Of course it looks like this version of Vergil will end up working out differently because in the game you are going to be fighting Mundus before you fight Vergil (maybe they are both sent to hell).

We got a teaser of it in the secret ending to DMC3 but I wanted more...

JoeFenix

If you wanted to simulate it you'd need the good game part. Gonna have to wait awhile I'm afraid!

i want this dmc universe to die, this picture is just one more reason why my feelings are justified.

Nobody really asked for this take on the universe either, but hey *shrugs*, just don't support it. I know i won't. No offense to NT.

I played like 150 hours of DMC3 and then bought DMC3SE and played like 200 hours of that one.

Thanks for listening to my lifestory.

You are not alone.

About 60 hrs for Vergil and 55 hrs for Dante. I'm praying for the day capcom returns to this level of awesome, but since they can even spell their own fucking name, i don't have much hope :(

dark_chris

Gold Member
I guess Scamcom needs more money when they coulda added it to the disc. Announcing DLC before a game comes out makes me less likely to buy it.
This gen...

I played like 150 hours of DMC3 and then bought DMC3SE and played like 200 hours of that one.

Thanks for listening to my lifestory.

Yuterald

If you wanted to simulate it you'd need the good game part. Gonna have to wait awhile I'm afraid!

lol! Yeah, I was so preoccupied with the bad business practice/typical Capcom side of things that I totally forgot about how awful the game still looks. This DLC footage in particular was really bad looking too. That "We're trying to make the new Vergil look like the old one with his wet hair" shot was extra offensive and funny to me. The enemies/bosses they showed still look like they are out of Dante's Inferno or some other 3rd rate western game too. Everything still looks like ass!

Roubjon

i wonder why anyone would be excited to play as this vergil.

i want this dmc universe to die, this picture is just one more reason why my feelings are justified.

It's a picture of a guy's face. I don't understand what there is to hate here. There is legitimately no reason to hate the game based on this.

I never understand GAF's permanent stick up their ass about any and all forms of paid DLC.

Not all forms. I don't remember people being upset over Shivering Isles, because it was huge, developed post release, and basically followed the old PC expansion model. People who used to pay money and get a complete game are now getting 80-90% of one and do not appreciate being nickel and dimed nor shepherded towards certain retail outlets (which may not even exist in their country) or having to choose between pre-order bonuses. If you don't understand then you must not be listening.

Glass Rebel

Man, every time I take a look into a DmC thread it's like stepping into an alternate universe GAF. People are being extremely childish about this. More Dahbomb, less YT-style comments plz :-/

If it's new areas, stories and enemies then it could potentially be worth the price. Also, it being soon after launch keeps me from playing through it once and trading it (which I often do now).

*oh, you get it just for pre-ordering? Nice!

Because they think that if DLC didn't exist we would have somehow magically had a playable vergil in this game for free

I can't speak for anyone but myself but I'd much rather we go back to

1. Expansions
2. If the game is done then get started on the new project and get it out the door faster.

Though to be fair I'd want neither of these from Ninja Theory.

Not all forms. I don't remember people being upset over Shivering Isles, because it was huge, developed post release, and basically followed the old PC expansion model. People who used to pay money and get a complete game are now getting 80-90% of one and do not appreciate being nickel and dimed nor shepherded towards certain retail outlets (which may not even exist in their country) or having to choose between pre-order bonuses. If you don't understand then you must not be listening.

God forbid they work on extra content before the release of the game. Sometimes I think people don't even want the word "DLC" to even appear in the developers heads until a day after the game has come out.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
God forbid they work on extra content before the release of the game. Sometimes I think people don't even want the word "DLC" to even appear in the developers heads until a day after the game has come out.

You'd be right.

If you prepare extra game modes or extra costumes before release, they should be IN the game because they complete the game. I recognize that this is an old school way of thinking and will rarely happen ever again.

It's pretty much what my post above yours implied, but yeah, you're completely right. You act as if anyone who'd want a complete game for a reasonable price is some kind of weirdo.

rvy

Banned

And what's the problem with thinking that? If you're developing a game with the mindset of releasing stuff post-release, you're gimping the game while you develop it.

Is there another form of entertainment where practices like these would be acceptable? I'm really asking.

If a dev is working on something before the game's released, it should go on the disc. Easy as that. Anything else is always going to feel like ripping off the customer, no matter what the explanation is.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So DmC isn't a complete game because...there's optional side content they're developing?[/IMG]

Yes. Because a game is a complete package., not a mainline story. A good portion of my PS2 games have extra modes, side stories, and characters. Those were developed before release because the developers wanted to flesh out aspects of the game and improve it, so those were put on the disc. The removal of those things make it incomplete.

Dahbomb

So DmC isn't a complete game because...there's optional side content they're developing?
What makes a complete game is subjective. By the same token Bloody Palace and secret missions should be DLC because they are not part of the main content/campaign of the game. You could argue the game would still be complete without them.

The Vergil side mission was worked on before the release of the game and should in good practice be on the disc day 1. It's a conscious effort to separate the content from the main game to profit from it. They in fact teased a playable Vergil before TGS so you know they had been on it for quite some time now.

But whatever. PC version.

Gbraga

If a dev is working on something before the game's released, it should go on the disc. Easy as that. Anything else is always going to feel like ripping off the customer, no matter what the explanation is.

I was about to ask "even if it delayed the game?", but thinking about it, a PR saying "We're delaying our game because we want to give you a new campaign with a new playable character, enemies and unlockables" would sound pretty awesome. At least a lot more than "We'll charge you for this if you don't buy from gamestop"

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I was about to ask "even if it delayed the game?", but thinking about it, a PR saying "We're delaying our game because we want to give you a new campaign with a new playable character, enemies and unlockables" would sound pretty awesome. At least a lot more than "We'll charge you for this if you don't buy from gamestop"

Absolutely if it delayed the game. Developers having to completely yield to a publisher's whim on release schedule is what's started the entire nickel and diming practice, as well as the release of broken Day 1 games.

As an RE6 player, I think you could appreciate that. Them taking some time out and adding a legitimate tutorial to the game would have completely changed a lot of peoples' impressions, as well as them taking some time out to change the camera options. They didn't do it and first impressions were lukewarm.

You'd be right.

If you prepare extra game modes or extra costumes before release, they should be IN the game because they complete the game. I recognize that this is an old school way of thinking and will rarely happen ever again.

It doesn't work like that. And judging by some of the posts here I can tell some of you have absolutely no idea how game development, planning, and budgeting works. You realize that money, manpower, and time is required to create every single element in a game. Every aspect of a game has those three variables. Every second of audio, every frame of animation, every polygon and texture.

Magical fairies aren't making this additional Vergil content. The planned budget and schedule for the game dictates the main game on disc. Said game, probably well already done by now - as been sent for certification, testing, and what have you. The core development team that actually created the meat and potatoes of the game are basically done and instead of having them sitting idle and doing nothing, you create a separate time schedule and budget and have them work on additional content. This additional content - in this generation of games, tends to be DLC. The pricing of this DLC is structured to recoup the extra costs to create this additional content.

Why some of you think that all DLC practices are basically - "hey, yo, make the game." Then. "Alright, what have you made...cool, let's arbitrarily cut off the last 3 hours and make it DLC." No. This is simply being done because the cost of this additional content has gone beyond the cost of making the main game. And the pricing of the DLC allows them to make that up.

Considering the appeared value of this DLC, I'm actually kind of surprised Capcom is offering for free at all when compared to how other publishers do things.

. The removal of those things make it incomplete.

Not all DLC practices work like that. Just because something is being worked on, before the FUCKING street date, doesn't mean it was planned to be in the original packaging and then arbitrarily removed for sake of making additional profit. As much as you'd like to think otherwise, companies don't intentionally have a desire to want to piss off their fans. The fact remains, is that this DLC is likely beyond the scope of budget, time, and dev resources that was originally planned. And that the only way this content came to exist in the first place, is it for to be paid DLC, or - a free pre-order incentive which indirectly increases revenue by definite new game purchase. If the DLC scenario did not exist, this content would probably not even exist in the first place. You're making the assumption that it would have regardless. Again, no. Developers can't just keep infinitely creating content and throwing it on the disc. Eventually, alternative pricing systems need to be created to balance the overall input (i.e, money, time, manpower) in creating said additional content. Game development isn't a charity, this additional content costed additional resources, and these resources need to be recouped through DLC. As I said, the core development team has likely been done with this game for a long while now, and now it's on to balancing, testing, bug checking etc. But you still need to pay people - and you can't just up and fire them. So what do you have them do? You tell them to start working on DLC while the main game is going through additional development that doesn't require the core designers. But the extra content that these people need to do cost money, thus - you have DLC.

Yes. Because a game is a complete package., not a mainline story. A good portion of my PS2 games have extra modes, side stories, and characters. Those were developed before release because the developers wanted to flesh out aspects of the game and improve it, so those were put on the disc. The removal of those things make it incomplete.

So you didn't buy DMC3CE? They could've been sitting on that content before release...

I-hate-u

Thoughts:

Its like Mahvel version of Vergil
It looks so stiff.
What the hell is wrong with Vergil's face?
Wrong move by Capcom to announce the DLC 2 months before release.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It doesn't work like that. And judging by some of the posts here I can tell some of you have absolutely no idea how game development, planning, and budgeting works. You realize that money, manpower, and time is required to create every single element in a game. Every aspect of a game has those three variables. Every second of audio, every frame of animation, every polygon and texture.

Magical fairies aren't making this additional Vergil content. The planned budget and schedule for the game dictates the main game on disc. Said game, probably well already done by now - as been sent for certification, testing, and what have you. The core development team that actually created the meat and potatoes of the game are basically done and instead of having them sitting idle and doing nothing, you create a separate time schedule and budget and have them work on additional content. This additional content - in this generation of games, tends to be DLC. The pricing of this DLC is structured to recoup the extra costs to create this additional content.

Why some of you think that all DLC practices are basically - "hey, yo, make the game." Then. "Alright, what have you made...cool, let's arbitrarily cut off the last 3 hours and make it DLC." No. This is simply being done because the cost of this additional content has gone beyond the cost of making the main game. And the pricing of the DLC allows them to make that up.

Considering the appeared value of this DLC, I'm actually kind of surprised Capcom is offering for free at all.

I understand how it works, and I've read the insuffering preachings of Svennson about how there are different budgets allotted to DLC. What I'm saying is that it shouldn't work that way and it's anti-consumer.

I'm not arguing that it doesn't take additional work to make additional content. What I AM arguing is that developers used to do this before because they wanted to make the best, most complete package available before release. Now they don't.

I also find it overly optimistic that the additional content wasn't stripped from the main game in the planning stages.

Top Bottom